PDA

View Full Version : Visitors to New Zealand

Zukin
20th December 2007, 11:04
Visitors to New Zealand

Our house is becoming a well known stopover for tourists to this part of NZ
We have had Norwegians, Swedish, Canadians, French and German visitors, so a very multi national house at times. :niceone:
We have just said goodbye to another visitor (Christian from France), he is riding solo on his Kawasaki KLE400, so if you see him stop and have a chat.
He is heading to Wellington for Xmas and then on to the South Island on the 27th.

Why do we do it?
We love our country, we love to show it off, we love to meet people from different cultures, and to meet people that we can also visit when we do an overseas trip
They might not stay for long, but they become friends that we will never forget.:apint:
They love to talk and listen; they may want help to translate something in English so they can understand it better.
They always appreciate good help (travel tips etc), and are very obliging, and any repairs or somewhere to wash and dry their clothes without paying for it, as well as free use of the Internet so they can talk to family and friends.:2thumbsup

If you ever have the chance and like to open your house to strangers, then I would suggest you do, it is an experience your whole family will love.:clap:

Last weekend we had 5 visitors from 3 different countries and different cultures, yet it is interesting to see how similar the world really is
Laughter is laughter, we all laugh at the same things, you even know when they are saying something smart in their own language by the way they say it and the expressions on their face. So much fun :niceone:

So things will be quiet in our house for Xmas as most travellers will stop and relax for Xmas, but in the new year it starts again, where will the next visitor be from, and what will they be riding, and what food will they enjoy making for us.

Merry Xmas to all those travellers out there
And Merry Xmas to all Kiwibikers and their families
:drinkup:

Regards Scott & Carissa

Stickchick
20th December 2007, 11:06
You guys are totally awesome!!! I don't know many people that are willing to open their home to total strangers. Merry Xmas to you and carrissa!!!

PuppetMaster
20th December 2007, 11:07
Do you want a medal ?
Sorry, they all got nicked....by tourists:confused:

Zukin
20th December 2007, 11:09
Do you want a medal ?
Sorry, they all got nicked....by tourists:confused:

Some of us are nice, others of us are just muppets
If you cant say something nice then sometimes it pays to say nothing at all :mad:

yungatart
20th December 2007, 11:13
Good on you guys.
No medals, but who needs them anyway.
You two live the perception that tourists have of kiwis and you do much to enhance our image!

Zukin
20th December 2007, 11:21
Oh and by the way, this is just the overseas tourists

We take in locals by the bike loads too :laugh:

hXc
20th December 2007, 11:32
Oh and by the way, this is just the overseas tourists

We take in locals by the bike loads too :laugh:Oh so very true.

Scott and Carissa, The Zukins, Nana and Gaybin...whatever your title is, you're awesome people. Not only parents of whom I consider to be a very good friend of mine, but very good friends of mine too. They're always willing to lend a hand, a bed, a meal...even just a whole lot of laughs.
Always welcoming and always friendly. I seriously don't know how you guys do it. But thanks for being awesome guys.:done::love:

Mikkel
20th December 2007, 12:18
Diversity is good!

Good on ya for embracing it and offering a hand to travellers in the progress. :niceone:

One thought though:

We have had Norwegians, Swedish, Canadians, French and German visitors, so a very multi national house at times. :niceone:

Last weekend we had 5 visitors from 3 different countries and different cultures, yet it is interesting to see how similar the world really is

I'm tempted to guess that most of your visitors are from the western world - I doubt you'll find many people from Africa, the Middle-East, South America and Indochina that could afford a holiday in NZ, certainly one on a motorcycle.

My point being that it is not that surprising if the different cultures you have visit you seem alike, they are truth be told not that different at all. ;)

GurlRacer
20th December 2007, 12:32
My point being that it is not that surprising if the different cultures you have visit you seem alike, they are truth be told not that different at all. ;)

Careful :D I'm his daughter, exchange student currently living in Norway. :) In the same house as me, I have a girl from Thailand living with me. I asked her, "Why did you choose Norway?" - "Because everything is so completely different" but this was 4 months ago, when we first arrive. Now, she says "Because they way we live our day to day lives are different" - we've both learnt, that no matter where we come from, what we do, what colour our skin is, or even what religion we are, we are equal. :) Culture has a part to play, but the biggest part is, your heart. :) If you got that in the right place, you understand each other, even if words don't tell the story :)

In my area, there is people from USA, Columbia, Aus, Thailand, China, Japan, Germany, Italy, Chile, Czech Republic... etc... but we somehow find a medium on which we agree... we laugh at the same jokes (As Dad mentioned earlier), we all want the world to be more peaceful, we embrace different, and most of all, we love each other.

What my Dad says is true :) I've lived it. I am living it. Just as hXc will do next year, and he'll be telling the same stories I am.

Mum and Dad, you're awesome :D Just wait til I get home, and challenge those guys, European style :yes: Haha... something for you to look forward to :p

yungatart
20th December 2007, 12:38
Hey Lani!!!
Well you woiuld think like that, look at the way you have been brought up..(dragged up?), look at the greatest influences in your life, your parents, and it isn't surprising at all that you should be saying such wise words.
Have a wonderful Norwegian Christmas!:grouphug:

GurlRacer
20th December 2007, 12:47
Hey Lani!!!
Well you woiuld think like that, look at the way you have been brought up..(dragged up?), look at the greatest influences in your life, your parents, and it isn't surprising at all that you should be saying such wise words.
Have a wonderful Norwegian Christmas!:grouphug:

Thank you :D
How would I not enjoy the Norwegian Christmas?? Look at it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! God Jul og Godt Nytt År alle sammen :D

Mikkel
22nd December 2007, 11:47
Thank you :D
How would I not enjoy the Norwegian Christmas?? Look at it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! God Jul og Godt Nytt År alle sammen :D

Så sandelig - Glædelig jul og godt nytår! ;)

My point before wasn't that there wasn't differences - just that the differnces inside the western cultures are not at all that big... Indeed noticable and most often the cause for merriment and inspiration. But not so big as to cause massive clashes.

Furthermore, travellers usually have a common trait: curiosity. And I believe curiosity is one of the most sure ways to be tolerant since you'll be actively seeking what is different.

Hope you'll enjoy Norway, it's a beautiful country and they make pretty good moonshine I believe ;)

merv
22nd December 2007, 12:03
Awesome Scott you guys sure are having an interesting time.

Merry Christmas. I'm sure there'll be many more Christmas threads on KB before the day comes too.

Taz
22nd December 2007, 12:46
Well done Scott. I've hosted one tourist from sweden. Found him lost on the side of the road on a rental XT600 when I was on my way home from work. He was heading to Whangarei from Auck and ended up in Waiuku :blink: As we are off the main tourist routes I don't expect to have many tourists here but have made the offer in the ADV rider Room/tent space thread. Ya never know do ya.
Andy.

Beemer
24th December 2007, 13:10
Good on you, we do the same and love it. So far we've hosting the Scottish guy whose name you don't dare mention, Dicon from Alaska, Tanja and Christian, Elke and Arne, Tommy and Rosa (all from Germany, all lovely), and Viktor and Lars from Sweden - they were two-up on a little 400 that had broken down just out of Levin. They stayed the night with us and my husband fixed their bike for them. We've also had Fat Tony and his lovely family, whose company we really enjoyed. Coming up we've got some more English motorcyclists and some more Germans too.

Lots of people ask why we don't charge these people to stay but it would be like charging family (in the case of my family, you couldn't pay me enough to have them stay!). They have been great company and we have made some wonderful friends through opening our home to them. They all appreciate it and most cooked us a great meal during their stay so we are more than happy to continue offering them our hospitality.

timpel_800
25th December 2007, 11:55
Are bikers from Holland also welcome ?:D

I got my bike deliverd friday, all the way from home, finally, can't wait to hit the road!

Merry x-mas

regards,

Tim
blenheim

yungatart
25th December 2007, 13:21
All bikers welcomed at the Zukin household! If their place is overflowing or unavailable, we are here and will gladly host!

Mom
25th December 2007, 13:52

I got my bike deliverd friday, all the way from home, finally, can't wait to hit the road!

Merry x-mas

regards,

Tim
blenheim

Happy Xmas Tim!

Make sure you drop us a PM if you head north of Auckland on your travels.

I am a bit of a collector of tourists, nothing beats hosting new friends and helping them discover how wonderful NZ is.

Mom

Harry33
25th December 2007, 14:05
Well with all this good will going around I might as well jump on the band wagon if there is any swedish girls needing a place to stay give us a pm. lol:whistle:

Taz
26th December 2007, 07:36

Merry x-mas

regards,

Tim
blenheim

Always welcome. I do warn people that we have 3 young children (8yo and twins 5yo) as some people really do not like children. They are well behaved though.

Beemer
27th December 2007, 08:37
Always welcome. I do warn people that we have 3 young children (8yo and twins 5yo) as some people really do not like children. They are well behaved though.

We have no kids, just three cats (just as spoiled!) and some sheep and swans!

Zukin
27th December 2007, 21:08

Merry x-mas

regards,

Tim
blenheim

Hi Tim

yes you are welcome
Send us a pm here or find my email address under my username

Cheers Scott

Usarka
27th December 2007, 21:48
As someone who has travelled and been treated to inexplicably welcoming hospitality from complete strangers I am heartened to see the same being done by fellow NZers.

Well done folks.
:yes:

timpel_800
28th December 2007, 09:21
he guys thats awesome to hear, and i will visit you, great!

Yesterday santa came round to deliver my present, it took him a while but that does not matter!

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9305/aankomstmotor271207006ljc1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

fredie
29th December 2007, 22:08
We have no kids, just three cats (just as spoiled!) and some sheep and swans!

how many sheep :buggerd::hug::wari:

Taz
30th December 2007, 06:32

Why? You looking for some action?? :eek:

bikerboy011
30th December 2007, 08:04
great stuff... merry xmas

Beemer
31st December 2007, 09:41

Sick, sick puppy! Mind you, at least they are all female - but I suppose that doesn't matter to you Aussies, does it? :clap: