PDA

View Full Version : Any Speed Measuring Machines around Auckland ?

TOTO
22nd December 2007, 08:15
Hey Guys. I have the feeling that my speedo is off by alot - may be around

10km/h. Does anyone know or have seen one of these speed measuring

machines that police put on the road to remind us how fast we are

moving(not the speed cameras :Police:), and if there is one in North Shore

that well be super awesome. :rolleyes:

Many Thanks

Be Safe

rainman
22nd December 2007, 08:42
They move around fairly often I think. There was one outside of Torbay School during the week but it was only there for my commute in, and gone later in the day. Perhaps if you called the coppers they'd tell you where they are?

TOTO
22nd December 2007, 08:45
They move around fairly often I think. There was one outside of Torbay School during the week but it was only there for my commute in, and gone later in the day. Perhaps if you called the coppers they'd tell you where they are?

Thats a good point actually. Will try to ring them now see what they say :clap:

TOTO
22nd December 2007, 08:52
Just talked to a guy at the North Shore Policing Centre, he said the best thing to do is go and find a police officer in an yellow/blue car (traffic cop) and ask him for a favour. Don't know why but it sound like a setup :buggerd:

karmakillernz
22nd December 2007, 08:53
The problem is they're fairly unreliable. Different ones will report different speeds when your bike is reporting the same speed.

There are two or three in my general riding area, and one reports I'm doing around 41, and another 56 when both times I held it exactly on 50k (according to my speedo).

I have the same bike as you and I'm pretty sure mine is over reporting by about 6-10kmph, so your guess is probably right.

merv
22nd December 2007, 08:54
Find a mate with a GPS - that'll do it for you.

karmakillernz
22nd December 2007, 08:55
Just talked to a guy at the North Shore Policing Centre, he said the best thing to do is go and find a police officer in an yellow/blue car (traffic cop) and ask him for a favour. Don't know why but it sound like a setup :buggerd:

That's actually always been an idea of mine, and it'd be a far more reliable reading (you'd hope!) The problem is finding a cop on radar duty... They're never around when you want - always when you don't. ;)

Delphinus
22nd December 2007, 08:58
Be interesting to hear what they say.

Big Dave
22nd December 2007, 08:58
Just nail it past a Highway Patrol.
He/she'll oblige.

Swoop
22nd December 2007, 12:49
I doubt a cop would be too worried.
Talk to him/her first and explain. Then ride at the posted speed limit. What could be simpler?

McJim
22nd December 2007, 13:18
Find a friend with a nice accurate speedo.

Go for a ride and ask them to do 100kph.

Keep pace with them and look at your speedo.

This was how we found out the RG150 reads 160 at 140 for example.

Pancakes
22nd December 2007, 13:51
There's one on Brigham Creek Rd between the Air Base and Kauri Rd heading away from the base. GPS is definatly the best way to go tho.

grusomhat
22nd December 2007, 14:01
I worked out how bad mine was off by pacing with another car. Turns out my Kr150 is out by about 20% which seems awfully bad but it's a nice easy number.

60kp/h is actually 50 and
120 is actually 100

70kp/h I just go about 80 - 85 which usually seems to be good with other cars

Duc
22nd December 2007, 14:23
I used the GPS in my cell phone and discovered a 10kph discrepancy at 100kph + (ie 120kph speedo is actually 110kph GPS)

Its not as easy as it seems working with another vehicle to get an accurate assessment and you also need to find someone with an accurate speedo to do it in the first instance.