PDA

View Full Version : My first test ride......

Deviant Esq
22nd December 2007, 11:47
Well... had my full licence for nearly three weeks now (nice new photo one arrived in the mail just before the weekend), so I thought it was high time I got my tail out and test rode something bigger than the NZ. So after shaking off much drowsiness this morning I shot down to Sportzone Suzuki to have a wee browse over what they had available. It was actually very busy down there this morning, lots of punters, but I got attention right away from a guy, who after learning I was wanting to step up from my 250, intruduced me to the sales manager (whose name I forget... for reasons coming up :whistle:).

We nattered on about this and that, what might suit me next, and ended up chatting about the SV650 quite a bit, what it was good at and so on. I thought to myself "at least half sales pitch, so don't take it too seriously...", but it sounded like it would suit me quite nicely as a step up bike. "Only problem is," said the sales manager, "we don't have an SV650 demonstrator, only an SV1000, and you'd appreciate that I'm a little reluctant to have you test ride that." I tended to agree with him, not sure I'd handle the 'thou having never really ridden anything but my NZ. Sure, a dabble here, a dabble there, but... you know.

Anyway, couple more minutes idle chitchat and he seems to think to himself 'fuck it, really busy, need to get this guy out of the way for a minute or two..." so he says: "Alright, do you want to take the [K7] SV1000S out for a ride?" So I thought to myself "No, might pack myself, and I don't think I'm ready to jump straight on a 'thou from my single banger 250...", but the words that somehow escaped my lips were "sure thing, why not?!" :eek5:

The demonstrator was rolled out, which was a sparkley blue, with a full Yoshimura exhaust system. Sure was loud... Anyway, after stalling it once (whoops :o), I headed over to phoenixgtr's place.

First impressions? Within 100 metres I was thinking to myself "jeez... this feels really easy to ride. Really planted, power really progressive"... That impression carried on throughout the ride. Sure, there was four times the power I'm used to on my NZ250, and you've got to respect that, naturally, but aside from knowing it was there and playing with roll on throttle to get a feel for it, I never felt like it was going to bite me, which was nice. It's definitely much bigger than the NZ250 (duh), but it didn't feel terribly heavy. More pressure on my lower back and wrists than with my bike - more "hunched over" seating position - but not uncomfortable. Nice.

After ogling it for a few minutes at phoenix's place, and idly wondering about how many neighbours it'd wake up at night (thanks, Mr Yoshimura...), phoenix needed little convincing to come for a fang with me. So off we went up Dyers Pass Road in the hot morning sunshine. I soon got a feel for the handling, which, if I didn't shift my weight, felt a little unstable in the front end, and a slight tendancy to want to sit up again... but once I got used to shifting my weight a little it came right and felt nicely planted, happy to lean progressively and smoothly. And the noise! Mmm... :drool:

On back into town again we went down Gasson Street, and immediately got stopped by a set of lights. Phoenix pulled up in the lane next to me and I knew what was required. Lights went green, a few revs, easy on the clutch, pull away quickly but smoothly, roll on the throttle... and without warning the front wheel lifted clean off the ground! :Oops:

I immediately rolled back off the throttle again and the front regained terra firma. My immediate reaction was "...." quickly followed by "wheeeee!!!! :woohoo: I wanna go again!!" I wasn't expecting it at all, and it's still hard to believe I've managed quite an impressive wheelie without even meaning to... but the thing that made me feel good was that it felt so controlled and stable. Once the front touched down again there were no shakes, no rattles... it was as though I'd never had the front off the ground. Phoenix was chuckling away inside his lid at my manic grins, but it'd surprised him too.

Dropped the bike back off at Sportzone shortly afterwards for a bit of hard thinking on what I might buy. Somehow not so sure it'll be an SV650 any more!!

Short version: Liked it. A lot. Handled, plenty of grunt, sounded very horny... but also very rideable and user friendly. For a first test ride, I've very glad I rode it. It will give me a very good base to work from!

Sadly I didn't even think about taking pics (will have to remedy that), but here's what it looked very much like (not sure it had the belly pan, mind) Edit: It did have the belly pan. :

Rashika
22nd December 2007, 14:21
hahahaaaaa... well you've got one under your belt anyway ;)

....now DONT go thinking seriously about the thou just yet ok????!!!!

D would beat you up fer sure :whistle:

arj127
22nd December 2007, 14:24
Glad you enjoyed it, but i would advise taking slightly smaller steps. The SV650 can sound just as horny as the 1000, and should be a lot more user friendly.

Bren
22nd December 2007, 14:47
I was in there myself on Friday...The SVs do look very sexy I have to agree, but that bloody B King...i mean SHIT....what an ass on that thing

Good luck Deviant on finding your perfect bike

(reminds me to go and get lic sorted out soon)

paturoa
22nd December 2007, 16:41

....and just why not?

paturoa
22nd December 2007, 16:44
.... I never felt like it was going to bite me....

When you least want it to, it will - lol

Subike
22nd December 2007, 17:19
get out there and test a few more rides.
You have just experianced your first ride on a decent machine.
But you said the riding position was at first a bit hunched over, more than you were use too... this might become discomfort for you later.
Go and try more than one Make, Size and Model.
The perfrect bike for you will be out ther, just like the perfect woman.
They are all good to ride, but one is better than the rest.
Testing is fun, but you will know when it is "The One "

phoenixgtr
22nd December 2007, 17:38
It did have the belly pan.

That wheelie was pretty funny. I just took off and looked over and there you were with the front wheel a couple of feet off the ground. Haha. Nice.

That thing was bloody loud. I was sitting at home, having a peaceful Saturday and there was this booming coming down the road getting louder and louder!!

So whats next on the list Dev?

Deviant Esq
22nd December 2007, 17:47

Hehehe... :dodge:
Was wondering what D would think of my taking the 'thou for a bit of a boogie. I was very gentle and sensible with it though, no 'moments' :)

Actually I quite agree, so don't worry. But as I said to you when we had a conversation a couple of months ago, it's nice to know, to compare different machines properly. I enjoyed the ride, it was fun, but as for buying? It will have to be something sensible.

Basically, the idea is to test ride as many different machines (indiscriminant of brand or as I can over the next month or two to get a feel for what suits me the best, what I like the best, what seems the best value for money, something I won't get bored with - both riding and looking at... and so on. I don't think I'll end up buying a 'thou, but as mentioned, test riding them so you know the difference isn't a bad thing, I believe.

When you least want it to, it will - lol
Quite. I got the impression that if I really twisted the throttle in anger it would snarl back at me just as hard... but that was a problem I quite easily managed to avoid on my short test ride. Didn't have any 'oops' moments at all, so I felt quite good after the ride.

To all: don't worry, I'm sensible! I won't be buying something that's too much for me, won't be biting off more than I can chew. I'm not sure that the SV1000 would be entirely unsensible, but nor do I think it would be an entirely sensible, if you follow.

Looking forward to test riding some more, though, and finding out what I like! :2thumbsup

Deviant Esq
22nd December 2007, 17:55
That wheelie was pretty funny. I just took off and looked over and there you were with the front wheel a couple of feet off the ground. Haha. Nice.
Hehe... quite unintentional and unexpected, but didn't frighten me like I suppose I would have imagined. It felt quite natural actually, only really realised afterwards what'd happened. Quite fun though! ;)

You had one happen like that?

So whats next on the list Dev?
Not too sure yet. I'd like to try an inline four 600, though. On an entirely unrelated matter... What are you doing Monday afternoon? I finish work at noon.... :whistle:

99TLS
22nd December 2007, 18:23
thats one of the best things about a newbie full licence is the test rides, imho

fireliv
22nd December 2007, 19:41
Yeah I was thinking to myself wow thats a noisy bike, wondering where it was coming from cos besides the Katana across the road we are the only bikers on out street!
Pretty bike though. Sure phoenix will be up for another blat on monday..... while SOME of us go to work!:buggerd:

Deviant Esq
22nd December 2007, 19:46
Sure phoenix will be up for another blat on monday..... while SOME of us go to work!:buggerd:
I've got to work on Monday as well... it's just convenient that I only have to work 8am until midday. Inconvenient to have to work at all - none of us think there is any point in actually opening at all - but at least it's a short day, leaving the afternoon for some test riding goodness! :cool:

The SV sure was loud... sounded excellent with my ear plugs in, I tended to forget quite how loud it actually was! Phoenix sure noticed it too, hehe... :o

Fat Tony
22nd December 2007, 19:55
Nice one mate, sounds like you had a blast. 250 to a 1000... could only happen to you mate :niceone:

(Re your email, I was mid switching my email address on here so maybe the functionality was locked down awaiting my verification)

phoenixgtr
22nd December 2007, 20:16
On an entirely unrelated matter... What are you doing Monday afternoon? I finish work at noon.... :whistle:

Hmmm... hopefully my bike and I willl be having a romantic picnic in Akaroa :devil2:

Haven't told the fiance yet though :doh:

Deviant Esq
22nd December 2007, 20:20
Hmmm... hopefully my bike and I willl be having a romantic picnic in Akaroa :devil2:
Ah... Well, I won't intrude then, hope you two enjoy yourselves... :blink:

Rashika
23rd December 2007, 05:45
The SV sure was loud... sounded excellent with my ear plugs in, I tended to forget quite how loud it actually was! Phoenix sure noticed it too, hehe... :o

of all the japa Vtwins around, I quite like the SV, Manuboys has a great sound... shame hes looking at trading it on a.... cough... splutter... K7

phoenixgtr
23rd December 2007, 15:36
Ah... Well, I won't intrude then, hope you two enjoy yourselves... :blink:

Thats ok. It will probably be happening in the morning so I should be free in the afternoon. Send me a txt

Deviant Esq
23rd December 2007, 15:39
Thats ok. It will probably be happening in the morning so I should be free in the afternoon. Send me a txt
Hmm, sloppy seconds eh..? :dodge: :nya:

Nah, sounds good to me, I'll send you a text once I've finished work. I think maybe we could visit Just Motorcycles out in Brighton, I hear they've usually got a few used machines worth looking at. Any other places spring to mind?

phoenixgtr
23rd December 2007, 20:47
Was out there a couple of weeks ago and there were a few bikes worth looking at from memory. Not sure where else to go. eMoto?

discotex
23rd December 2007, 21:37
I'd like to try an inline four 600, though.

Seeing as you're test riding anyway.....

Test ride a Honda and win a track day with Aaron Slight (http://www.honda-motorcycles.co.nz/newsItem.asp?newsId=675)

Only problem could be finding an '08 CBR600RR to sit on until the next shipment arrives mid Jan.

What's your budget? Looking for new or 2nd hand?