PDA

View Full Version : Road MXer?

Coyote
6th November 2004, 16:25
Could you get a 250 MXer and road legalise it? I'm sure it's possible but it would require alot of work and money right? Has someone here already done this?

Motu
6th November 2004, 16:38
We used to ride MX bikes on the road in the 70s,just slap some non working lights on,grab a plate off a road bike and get out there and ride - um,it still happens today,but you never heard that from me right? My Rickman was road registered and fully legal,all it took was lights and a muffler in those days.These days it'd be a hell of a lot of work - better off with a KDX,KLX or such like that is race ready but road legal as well.A full 2 stroke MXer? not likely.You could go for a full blown 4 stroke like a Husky or Husaberg,their enduro bikes are the MX with lights,sorta...

Coyote
6th November 2004, 16:58
Yamaha are leading the way with the new road legal YZ125 they're releasing. It's the standard 125 MXer with all you need to get a Reg & WOF so you can ride to a trail. Thats what I want. Bit pricey for me though, thats why I wanted to know if I could do it to an older MXer.

merv
6th November 2004, 18:47
Places like Sawyers have road kitted things like CRF230's and CRF250X's but I think it costs around $1,500. In Aus the 250X comes road legal same as my WR250F is here and in Aus. As for full MX bikes there would be extra hassles with lack of electrics on them in the first place. So why not go with an enduro 250 they are probably more useful with similar power but wider ratio gearbox than the MXer.

So you could get a Yamaha, Husky, KTM, Husaberg, Gas Gas or whatever already road legal, or get a Honda and make it road legal. Kaw and Yam aren't doing enduro versions of their 250 yet are they?

I bought the 4 stroke WR and everyone is telling me that these days the 4 stroke engines don't last like the 2 strokes anymore, whereas it used to be the other way round. I hope not, but I am sure the MX versions will not last as long on the road as the Enduro versions.

So big thing is how much money you got? People have road kitted old CR250's and made them legal for enduros and the like, but now the rules have been changed so you don't need full road kit for enduros anyway. There are also a few of the old CRM250's around which were the enduro version of the CR and there is the RMX250 Suz too which you might be able to find one for a reasonable price - they are as close as you'll get to a cheap road legal 2 stroke MX bike. The 4 strokes are a more recent build so I doubt you'd buy one extra cheap unless they are poked already but new a WR250F is just under $13K while a KTM250EXCR is about $14K to give you and idea.

laRIKin
6th November 2004, 18:59
If you want a MX type of bike you could buy a KTM EXC as they have
all the lights etc on them from stock.
And I guess that you are wanting a 2 stroke, and they make them in a
200, 250 and a 300cc.
Don't think that because there is only 100cc between them, and they are all
similar to ride, as they all ride very differently.
The 200 is a rev-a and is a bit like riding a 125 MXer.
The 300 has a lot more power and is as grunty as hell.
And the 250 is in the middle, some where.