PDA

View Full Version : Touring the South-East

scumdog
6th November 2004, 21:20
Morning started warm & dry, Chrissy-Bimbo (Mrs S.D. to you lot) suggested a ride to 'somewhere' was a good idea. Where to? paper/scissors/stone, it was down to the Catlins and on to Invercargill to see her son.
Headed out on the Hogley 'S' and intended to see mate Ross at Owaka to check road conditions, Murphys law, spotted Ross heading other way at Tunnel Hill, never mind, we'll head on, I mean the road only has one bit of gravel near Papatowai eh? - wrong! just a bit past the Cathedral caves it turned to **** and my heart was in my mouth! - and THAT was dry! never been so sure I was about to bin it for a long time, deep crushed gravel, evenly spread, corrugations and miles of it!! still once through it (10 years later or so it seemed!) the road was magic, 55kph 'S' bends, (nearly scraped the 'S' undercarriage) up and down hill sections, occassional straight bits all surrounded by beautiful scenery! it was all there - and I met a few bikes (one group of 5 or so) going the other way - some even waved!

Temp was about 25 degrees and life was GOOD! on we went and a bit past Tokanui the road was a bit bland, only saw whitebaiters then next thing we were in Invervegas at the Waikiwi checking on stepson and family. Lunch was needed and somebody said 'Riverton' so off C.B and I went, another good cruise only spoilt by 4X4 ANF507 passing us on a blind rise and on the wrong side of the yellow line! (I'll give 'em a call) but when we got to Riverton we soon forgot that, the weather was tops and scenery the best.

We carried on through the town and on to Riverton Rocks and had lunch at the wee cafe/bar, I RECOMMEND it to anyone going there, the lunch (actually it was 2pm) alone was worth the ride. An hour or so later we left and headed back home by western Southland with an ale at Gore (God bless the little bogans that cruised past and gave us entertainment) then off to home via SH1. 350+ km, never missed a beat and only casuality was CB's deriere which found my suspension setting a bit 'stiff"! :whistle:

P.s., once this bit of road is finished it will be one of THE best for a ride in the South-East, I recommend it.

Blakamin
6th November 2004, 22:27
coool, SD.... glad the gravel didnt bite... might have to bring a "cornerin' bike" that way early next year! (if they've finished the road) :niceone:

scumdog
6th November 2004, 22:37
coool, SD.... glad the gravel didnt bite... might have to bring a "cornerin' bike" that way early next year! (if they've finished the road) :niceone:

Do that! give me a PM when you plan on comming down, that road is FUN - apart from the gravel bits!!

A couple of times I thought I was about to waste my 'Warehouse Specials' on some of the tighter corners, it was a buzz! :ride:

P.S. P.M. me and I'll explain 'Warehouse Specials' ;)

merv
7th November 2004, 08:21
Good one. I saw on the TV last night where Invercargill had hit a high temp, was almost up with Alexandra. Must be all the warmth that people are showing for Mayor Tim seeing he got about 85% of the vote this time.

As for gravel, yeah gravel is great on dirt bikes but sucks on heavy road bikes.

White trash
7th November 2004, 09:40
Nice writing there Sd.

How do you get on with gravel roads and belt drive? You don't freak a bit?

Whenever I've go a HD, I avoid unsealed roads like the plague. Bit of a pussy maybe...... :o

scumdog
7th November 2004, 10:20
Nice writing there Sd.

How do you get on with gravel roads and belt drive? You don't freak a bit?

Whenever I've go a HD, I avoid unsealed roads like the plague. Bit of a pussy maybe...... :o

It did cross my mind, especially with the gravel being crushed rock instead of the usual river gravel, however as I like my Sporty to look "as factory" I have left the plastic anti-gravel guards in place, I'll have a close look at the belt later when I wash the beast.

This was probably the only time I have worried about gravel, for the reasons above, hard packed river gravel? - no worries!

Hitcher
7th November 2004, 13:21
Any news on when they plan to finish sealing this?

The downside of all-sealed will be the "Curse of the South" -- Maui chicane, the rolling trailerpark, the effing campervan!

hondav2
7th November 2004, 22:14
We rode that road after the Pissed Penguin rally. Great ride, next time will stay at Papatowai for a night. My mate rang me on Sat and we went to Riverton via Wreys Bush and home via Tuatapre. I took the VTR and got the worst fuel consumption ever. 140km and light came on. From Clifton to Manapouri travelled at 140 -150 clicks ,plus a bit more sometimes. All the highway patrols were with the cycle race so didnt have to worry about them. Cheers Toddy

scumdog
8th November 2004, 07:13
Any news on when they plan to finish sealing this?

The downside of all-sealed will be the "Curse of the South" -- Maui chicane, the rolling trailerpark, the effing campervan!

Sorry, no idea on finish date but it won't be this year, bugger!

The Maui chicane a.k.a. "mobile road-block" problem is already there but not TOO bad (they bin regularly, Asians the worst, never been on gravel I guess and don't know ya can't take bends at 100kph ALL the time!).

I'll be looking forwards to the sealing completion all the same!