PDA

View Full Version : My new bike: cbr929

HungusMaximist
24th December 2007, 07:54
Newsflash!

Here's my new bike that I just everybody to :drool: over and be the envy of the next few hours.

What you're looking at is a 2001 CBR 929 which I picked up from South Taranki.

To cut the story short, I was in the market for a new bike for the last 2 months and have been leaning towards the twins but then my mate Kim (Klyong92) suggested I take a look at a 929 being advertised on Trade-Me.

Well, the Tard Me pictures were blurry and initially my hopes were pretty low but considering the 'price' it was good enough for us to make a day trip to Taranaki to check it out.

Roughly 12 hours later (cheers Kim :wari:), I was back home with a piece of paper saying that I unofficially own it and need to cough up the cash.

So spirits high and in anticipation, the bike was delivered 1 week later in Auckland and this is what it looks like. :2thumbsup

Things that I've noticed that the steering is considerable much tighter/stiffer than Kim's 929 so that needs be checked. Chain slap and wear line indicates it so I need get myself a new set of sprockets and chain.

Photos

1 - The beaut
2 - Side view
3 - Paper work
4 - With mate's 929 on the Sat Ride

Wha do ya think? :2guns:

Sensei
24th December 2007, 08:13
Very nice , road Arron Slights CBR929 that he used when in NZ & it was a great bike but was looking at slowing down not speeding up so brought a Ducati . You will have some excelllent fun on this bike for sure Enjoy the Summer & watch the speeding LOL :2thumbsup

NZsarge
24th December 2007, 08:18
Very nice, looks like someones looked after it.

vifferman
24th December 2007, 08:19
Very nice! :niceone:
Congratulations!

MD
24th December 2007, 08:27
Congrats.
I had a 2001 CBR929RR myself. I had lots of fun on it. Still miss that flip up boot! What a simple but practical ideal that was.
Last I heard a KBer in Chch owned mine.

discotex
24th December 2007, 09:22
Newsflash!

Here's my new bike that I just everybody to :drool: over and be the envy of the next few hours.

Wha do ya think? :2guns:

Yummmmmmmmmmmmy! :drool::drool::drool:

Honda FTW ;)

Tony.OK
24th December 2007, 10:13
Nice,you'll have tonnes of fun on it,I loved mine.Just watch that speedo(especially with the new demerit points).:Police:

xwhatsit
24th December 2007, 10:42
Things that I've noticed that the steering is considerable much tighter/stiffer than Kim's 929 so that needs be checked.

Probably just over-tight steering head bearings. Unless he's hidden a steering damper away somewhere.

Very nice :D Very pretty bike. Honda ftw!

klyong82
24th December 2007, 10:44
Congrats on the new bike. Yeah we drove down to South Taranaki to have a look at the bike and after a ride by both of us. Ewen signed his life away to buy the bike putting down a deposit and we could see the ex-owner was really sad to sell the bike.

Ex-owner has spent alot of money to keep the bike in tip-top condition. Was nice riding with you on Saturday. The 2 Fireblades performed well against the 07 R6 of Raj.

klyong82
24th December 2007, 10:48
Probably just over-tight steering head bearings. Unless he's hidden a steering damper away somewhere.

Very nice :D Very pretty bike. Honda ftw!

Yes I suggested that it might be overtightening as the bike has only 16000km unless it had a super hard life. But yes could feel the bike is a little heavier than mine which is strange. Mine is the Europe model while Ewen's the US model but with the Europe fairings.

Haha Tom "very pretty Honda"? I thought when it came to a Honda you call it gay haha... :whistle:

Insanity_rules
24th December 2007, 11:15
Love it, love it, love it. I want a 929 when I graduate in January.

FilthyLuka
24th December 2007, 11:17
Love it, love it, love it. I want a 929 when I graduate in January.

very very sexy

Im gettin a 'blade in january too! all be it a cbr900rr as opposed to the 929, but a 999cc wiseco kit will sort that out ;)

We should go on a ride sometime next year then

xwhatsit
24th December 2007, 11:31
Haha Tom "very pretty Honda"? I thought when it came to a Honda you call it gay haha... :whistle:

Come on! I even own a red Honda lawn mower. No shit. It's just as hard to start as my bike :laugh:

Insanity_rules
24th December 2007, 11:32
very very sexy

Im gettin a 'blade in january too! all be it a cbr900rr as opposed to the 929, but a 999cc wiseco kit will sort that out ;)

We should go on a ride sometime next year then

We should see how many blades we can get together, what do you think? I've already seen mine too its a wildcat yellow,Black and white 9 thou K example with a good history, good price too.

klyong82
24th December 2007, 11:45
I sold my CBR900RRS 3 months ago. Black and maroon in colour. Missed that bike but it was a heavy beast and had many fond memories riding that bike. The 929 is about 15 kg's lighter and pumps out an extra 20hp and still turns well like the 900. All the best in buying a Fireblade guys. :yes:

emaN
24th December 2007, 11:49
was looking at that one too...
hope she treats ya good!!

FilthyLuka
24th December 2007, 12:08
We should see how many blades we can get together, what do you think? I've already seen mine too its a wildcat yellow,Black and white 9 thou K example with a good history, good price too.

nice, mines the original blade ;) 1992, 25k and family rates too :cool:

Im keen to do the above, i know a couple guys with CBR900's of various vintages and colours, will see if they're interested

Insanity_rules
24th December 2007, 12:32
nice, mines the original blade ;) 1992, 25k and family rates too :cool:

Im keen to do the above, i know a couple guys with CBR900's of various vintages and colours, will see if they're interested

Sounds good to me. I was going to take the new wheels on my first new year business trip to Auckland so now I really have an excuse. Edit: Shit now the cats outa the bag about my new bike.....Bugger!

AllanB
24th December 2007, 12:47
Well done :2thumbsup

I heard Honda improved the engine and put it in the Hornet. :cool:

breakaway
24th December 2007, 13:16
Nice indicators. Maybe Kim will follow :p

FilthyLuka
24th December 2007, 13:21
on a slightly different note, that is one SEXY exhaust, what brand is it? cant tell from the photos

klyong82
24th December 2007, 14:31
Nice indicators. Maybe Kim will follow :p

Probably not, those mini indicators are hard to see from 5m's away. i like my original fat ones. I now see its purpose.

99TLS
24th December 2007, 14:38
nice looking machine indeed, enjoy your summer riding

owner
24th December 2007, 16:36
Nice bike dude, Im sure you'll get lots of that

EJK
24th December 2007, 16:39

I love the visor on the bike :yes:

0arbreaka
24th December 2007, 17:32
You didnt happen to be at silvia park today? I swear I saw that bike parked outside, very nice..................for a honda

Supermoto Junkie
24th December 2007, 18:21
Nice bike dude, love that high pipe

HungusMaximist
24th December 2007, 22:29
You didnt happen to be at silvia park today? I swear I saw that bike parked outside, very nice..................for a honda

Haha, yea, right by Westpac right? I had to make a quick run for Xmas Prezzies.

Hope ya didn't hurt her feelings, she tells all :devil2:.. haha... :bleh:

And on the other note, the more I ride her the more I notice somethings wrong, perhaps thats more like 'what I am doing wrong'.

It's been said and well disocovered by me (and many) that it has a clicky gear box, literally in all gears (could be my clutch engagement?) and I get a nice 'thud' and thurst from the engine when I engage her. She certainly doesn't like anything below 4 rpm. Tips & Advice?

My height is the other thing, being 6 foot 1 it doesn't help being on a sports bike so my nuts is literally crushed/pushed (ouch :crybaby:) on the tank most the time. I make a conscious effort to ride with my ass a further back towards the seat but it doesn't do much justice as soon as I open the throttle I shift ride back into the front. I think I just gotta tough it out aye?

Ah any options of raising the bars a little higher?

erix
24th December 2007, 22:29
ha, congrats!!! Nice bike the bike really suits you well! ENVY..............for the next one and half years....... till I change my license colour back to green.........

Delphinus
24th December 2007, 22:50
Wow looks fantastic!
Where in Taranaki did you buy it from? I used to live in Opunake :P

HungusMaximist
24th December 2007, 23:00
Wow looks fantastic!
Where in Taranaki did you buy it from? I used to live in Opunake :P

It was my first time seeing Mt Taranaki and boy was she a beaut!

It nestled somewhere between Mania and Kapuni, on Skeet Rd.

It can't get more rural than that!

FilthyLuka
24th December 2007, 23:10
It's been said and well disocovered by me (and many) that it has a clicky gear box, literally in all gears (could be my clutch engagement?) and I get a nice 'thud' and thurst from the engine when I engage her. She certainly doesn't like anything below 4 rpm. Tips & Advice?

Yeah, go get a power commander :P seriously. Aftermarket pipe + power commander = works out that flat spot around 4-4.5

Blades have that god-damned flat spot, the '92 cbr sits in it at 100km/h, fucken shocking. 900cc of stonking power (for a honda) and you gotta down shift to pass. The solution? exactly what you have done. Aftermarket pipe. But there is another very crucial part, oh yes, the power commander.

They aren't that expensive, will really pay to get one fitted, also easy enough to tweak if you decide to do more junk to it, eg, pod filters, wiseco 997cc big bore kit (part number: R997), skim the head, dial in cams, engine blue print

NO! NO! Bad filthy luka! must not mod fireblades...

p.s: what brand is that pipe? come on! tell me! DO IT!

FilthyLuka
24th December 2007, 23:13
oops, thats right, not a '92 fireblade :P sorry

part number: CK162 for the wiseco big bore kit, and it will be a 980cc not a 997cc..

Not that it needs it :rockon:

HungusMaximist
24th December 2007, 23:30
Yeah, go get a power commander :P seriously. Aftermarket pipe + power commander = works out that flat spot around 4-4.5

Blades have that god-damned flat spot, the '92 cbr sits in it at 100km/h, fucken shocking. 900cc of stonking power (for a honda) and you gotta down shift to pass. The solution? exactly what you have done. Aftermarket pipe. But there is another very crucial part, oh yes, the power commander.

They aren't that expensive, will really pay to get one fitted, also easy enough to tweak if you decide to do more junk to it, eg, pod filters, wiseco 997cc big bore kit (part number: R997), skim the head, dial in cams, engine blue print

NO! NO! Bad filthy luka! must not mod fireblades...

p.s: what brand is that pipe? come on! tell me! DO IT!

The pipe is called MIG (random?) and funny you mention Power Commander, the deal included a Power Commander.

Not that I know what to do with it, I gotta figure out what to do...

Instructions? Resources? Dyno?

But like you said, it's pretty bubbly down low.

0arbreaka
24th December 2007, 23:50
What sorta power commander is it? if its a pc3 you can download various maps for it off your pc, most of the maps arent bad from what ive heard.

FilthyLuka
25th December 2007, 00:31
Instructions? Resources? Dyno?

instructions? google
Resources? Power Commander website
Dyno? Why? most of them lie anyway, seat of pants dyno works the best :2thumbsup

Delphinus
25th December 2007, 08:53
It was my first time seeing Mt Taranaki and boy was she a beaut!

It nestled somewhere between Mania and Kapuni, on Skeet Rd.

It can't get more rural than that!

Yeah its a beautiful mountain, I didnt complain about waking up each morning to that.

Hehe Skeet road, I know that area VERY well. Interesting all the gems that you never knew were round the corner.

discotex
25th December 2007, 11:50
instructions? google
Resources? Power Commander website
Dyno? Why? most of them lie anyway, seat of pants dyno works the best :2thumbsup

Running a power commander and exhaust without mapping it on a dyno seems like throwing power away to me. Not that I've done it but I will if I mod my CBR.

Sure dynos lie (for various reasons like tyre choice, air pressure/moisture, etc) when comparing bike to bike or dyno to dyno but there's no better tool to compare how your bike runs on different maps on the same dyno and same day.

Zapf
25th December 2007, 12:01
Nice... congrets. So when can we do a CBR9xx cruise? so I can bring my 954 out for a group photo :)

HungusMaximist
25th December 2007, 16:18
Running a power commander and exhaust without mapping it on a dyno seems like throwing power away to me. Not that I've done it but I will if I mod my CBR.

Sure dynos lie (for various reasons like tyre choice, air pressure/moisture, etc) when comparing bike to bike or dyno to dyno but there's no better tool to compare how your bike runs on different maps on the same dyno and same day.

I got a Power Commander II so it isn't fancy but it beats having nothing! :eek:

At the moment I am not so sure what I can do exactly with a PC II (if it's enough to knock out the flat spot and smooth things out a bit) as I haven't done fancy stuff like this before. Like the cover say '5 mins installation' and I am guessing it's plug and play right?

I visited their website and they have all this bunch of maps that I can download but I am not so sure if I can use it on the PC II and plus, I got a MIG exhaust (French Company that went outta business a few years ago, but I do believe retailers still sell their stuff) which unfortunately isn't listed.

So, a few q's, do I leave the PC on the bike?, What should I do in terms mapping and stuff?, Do I have to take it to a Dyno or what? (from what I heard having a PC III cuts out taking the bike to the Dyno, is that correct?

Nice... congrets. So when can we do a CBR9xx cruise? so I can bring my 954 out for a group photo :)

Yea, after Christmas aye? My mate also got 929, so that makes 3! :niceone:

shafty
25th December 2007, 19:13

Zapf, is the 954 your "spare" bike?

shafty
25th December 2007, 19:15
Congrats on your new bike Mate - well done, and Take it easy!

bikerboy011
25th December 2007, 20:12
congrats mate

discotex
25th December 2007, 23:15
So, a few q's, do I leave the PC on the bike?, What should I do in terms mapping and stuff?, Do I have to take it to a Dyno or what? (from what I heard having a PC III cuts out taking the bike to the Dyno, is that correct?

Was doing a bit of research the other week trying to decide if a new can for the CBR was a happening idea.

From what I've read the maps you download for the PC III are enough to get you close but for best results you need to dyno your bike in your conditions.

E.g. a guy with a 929 in the rocky mountains with your model exhaust may come up with a great map for his bike the air there will be dry and thin. In the muggy (read wet) Auckland air at sea level (more o2 at sea level as the air is denser) your bike will need a different map for the same setup.

That said it'll be a shit load closer than the factory map would be with the after-market can.

Does that help? Not sure what the difference is with the PC II vs PC III though. Might be custom map only..?

Tony.OK
26th December 2007, 07:17
PCII is an older version of PC,the main difference being that a PCIII plugs into your comp via USB port.
Is the exhaust a slipon or full system?If its a full sys then the HTEV exhaust valve has been removed,that will cause a real stumble down low in the revs.
If you put the PCII back on I'd reccomend taking it to GP Honda in tauranga,they have the dynojet dyno and are very good.You will have to block off your PAIR valve to get a dyno tune though,but they should know that(its an air bleed valve going to the airbox),it can be just clamped during dyno run too.
http://www.cbr929rr.com/pair.htm

HungusMaximist
28th December 2007, 07:34
PCII is an older version of PC,the main difference being that a PCIII plugs into your comp via USB port.
Is the exhaust a slipon or full system?If its a full sys then the HTEV exhaust valve has been removed,that will cause a real stumble down low in the revs.
If you put the PCII back on I'd reccomend taking it to GP Honda in tauranga,they have the dynojet dyno and are very good.You will have to block off your PAIR valve to get a dyno tune though,but they should know that(its an air bleed valve going to the airbox),it can be just clamped during dyno run too.
http://www.cbr929rr.com/pair.htm

Thanks, ah well I chucked on the PC II on the Fireblade, tamed her up a bit aye.

Not so sure what exactly it did but it sure felt like in the lower revs she was less chuggy/lost a bit of aggressiveness. Bear in mind that it's a stock PC map so I guess things can't bad right?

Other thing I wanted to know is that it has these 'low, mid and high' buttons, got any advice how to use them?

My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I yet to get myself a serial port to USB cable so I can start fiddling around with different maps. From my mate point of view (which I agree) I should choose a map that move the power down low a bit further as it's often that I get to use mid-high POWER band of the Fireblade.

All this Fuel Injection stuff is really interesting..! :wari:

I will give a few Dyno places a ring to try and squeeze a bit advice from them.

Tony.OK
28th December 2007, 07:55
Those 3 buttons are for manual adjustment,low=0-4000rpm,mid=4-8000rpm range,or similar.I am too scared to use them in case I lean the fuel out and damage the eng.
Untill ya get it hooked to your pc it'll be hard to know what map is on there,if you've only got a slipon exh the changes won't be great,when i did my 929 it felt softer but it actually was faster,just smoothed the delivery out so there was no hit in power.

HungusMaximist
28th December 2007, 08:37
I don't have a full system, they're frikking expensive!

I got the slipon exhaust muffler plus the high rise pipe.

Still have the original exhuast pipes and muffler, though I have heard that you can't really Dyno a slipon compared to a bolt on?

Me too are too scared to muck around with the buttons!

babyblade250rr
28th December 2007, 08:58
Nice ride Ewen, Now you and kim can go on 929 rides hahaha hell make a 929 club lol

good on ya mate!

Paulus
28th December 2007, 10:07
My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I yet to get myself a serial port to USB cable so I can start fiddling around with different maps. From my mate point of view (which I agree) I should choose a map that move the power down low a bit further as it's often that I get to use mid-high POWER band of the Fireblade.

It's not so much to move the power but to correct the fuelling. If that gives you more power then so be it (if poor fuelling was the cause of a lack of power at low end) but normally the PC alone won't achieve this. Cams, exhaust and air filter might as these all change how the engine breathes - they may also make it worse.

HACHET
10th January 2008, 15:21
awesome blade mate i have owned 2 blades a 1994RRR in orange and silver commonly known as the urban tiger blade in the uk, and a 1998 RRW in red white and blue both were awesome bikes. i considered another but instead went for a vtwin. Enjoy the summer.

vifferman
10th January 2008, 15:30
It's not so much to move the power but to correct the fuelling. If that gives you more power then so be it (if poor fuelling was the cause of a lack of power at low end) but normally the PC alone won't achieve this. Cams, exhaust and air filter might as these all change how the engine breathes - they may also make it worse.
Indeed.
If the bike's EFI was perfectly set up for that particular bike, there'd be no need for aftermarket devices like Power Commanders. However, the maufacturers do sneaky things like set the EFI to be ultra-lean at the revs at which emissions testing is carried out. Also, the fueling maps are of the "one size fits all" type, so any variation your bike has from that 'size' due to the fuel you use, wear'n'tear, different fittings (zorst, airfilter) and modifications (disabled O2 sensors, flapper valves, etc.) will mean the fueling is no longer optimal.

Sparky Bills
10th January 2008, 15:46
Nice choice of bike that man!
I saw that on trade me and thought it would be a nice bike to own!
Looks mint!

Cache Wraith
11th January 2008, 18:51
Nice one. How about a write up in a couple of months to let us know if it lives up to your expectations.

willy_01
12th January 2008, 18:29
Arrh so this is were it went (i took if for a test ride a couple of days before you headed down) what a wicked bike, i freakin loved the short ride I had on it. The last owner seriously loved/looked after it. you lucky bugger, i should have offered him more! haha