PDA

View Full Version : South Island accommodation needed. Jan 2008

Duc
24th December 2007, 16:09
Me and Missus Duc are thinking of doing a quickish 8/9 day road trip in the first week of January 2008.

Bike is organised but ... Accomodation?

CHCH -Authurs Pass-West Coast Rd down thru Haast Pass - Wanaka - Queenstown - CHCH via Tekapo.

I would prefer not to have to book any accomodation down the West Coast part and take my chances. (ie motel/hotel/backpacker last resort / no tenting)

Anyone know if that area is so busy in this period that we would come unstuck for a place to rest our heads?

Romeo
24th December 2007, 17:56
Hey dude, check out TravelBug (http://www.travelbug.co.nz/) - it'll sort out all your accomodation needs easy as! It's a TradeMe venture, and it totally owns.

Alternatively, my old man did a run around those same areas about a year ago. I'll try and dig up all the places he stayed at.

//EDIT: Sorry, the forum he posted all his info on is currently down. But PM ToyCollector10 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=8617) and he can send you all the details if you're keen.

feral1
24th December 2007, 19:19
don't count on staying in Franz Josef or Fox without a booking in Jan. It can get pretty full. All other places you should be ok (i hope). Enjoy your run
Feral

Duc
25th December 2007, 08:25
Thanx for Info.

I had guessed Franz Josef and Fox were key to sorting the trip considering they are in the middle of the long run.

Merry Xmas to all and have a great day.

feral1
25th December 2007, 19:10
The "glow worm' backpackers in Franz is mint.
Feral

98tls
25th December 2007, 19:23
If you get down as far as Te-Anau then check these guys out at 218 Milford road,awsome little units,cheap at $110 a night and completly self contained.Just got back from spending a few days down there.

Duc
26th December 2007, 13:06
Unfortunately my Sth Island Jaunt just fell over.

The bike rental place in CHCH did not want to open up on New Years Day and this was the only day I could pull all the logistics down the line together.

Putting an East Cape / Hawkes Bay (Nth Island) jaunt together now.

I'll save the Sth Island road trip till later. (Just finished flying Qtown / Reefton return in a chopper anyway)

The Lone Rider
27th December 2007, 21:59
Who were you renting from?

Duc
28th December 2007, 10:15
Sorry I dont want to name them but I do wish they were a little more "tourist business aware" in peak season. Last time I rented from them I had a similar issue (Easter) and had to adapt my travel plans around them.I guess I cant really blame them for wanting to ride on statutory holidays.

Anyway I have rented from another CHCH company with an Auckland office and we are taking a ST1300 Honda away for seven days.

BTW - @ whoever recommended TravelBug earlier on in this thread. !!!!!

TravelBug screwed up bigtime for us and it has taken serious sorting including a route change. We can not do East Cape now.

Dont go near them for booking accomodation or if you do.,..check every booking directly with the operators.

oldrider
28th December 2007, 10:21
You should have tried "Rentatriumph" in Christchurch then you would have got a good bike as well! Cheers John.

trump-lady
28th December 2007, 10:25
If you need accom in CHCH let me know. My parents have a sleep out with shower etc, lots of room in garage but be warned if its a weekend you will be drinking! They have bikes and always great hosts.......