PDA

View Full Version : Not the best end of a year !!

Sensei
25th December 2007, 08:12
While driving home from my sisters last night with my family I noticed 3 people walking on my side of the road as I got closer I moved out abit as you do just in case seen as there was a young boy with the 2 other girls , then as we are right on them the small 8 year old boy ran straight out in front of me while I was do 80+Ks I only just managed to drift the car to the right as far as the road would let me without rolling it but saddly still hit the young boy with the front of my car sending of over the bonnet & back onto the side of the road from where he had run out from . From there on it was very sickening to run back to where he lay while calling a Ambo for help . He is so lucky to be still here even tho he broke his leg & had some majour bit of skin taken out of him & hit his head on the road . Was phoned by his dad who was only just down the road when this happend last night to say he was pretty banged up but looked like he will be Ok once things heal up . A Big scare for all of my family & my 2 boys that got to see it all happen . So please take care out there with ya Kids & yourself as this may have been saddly a very bad ending for this young man at a time of year that is suppoes to be very Happy .

Edbear
25th December 2007, 08:24
Sorry you, had to go through that, it's very scary. I had the same hapen to me in Taupo once. Saw the little boy on the side as I came through an intersection and slowed to about 30km/h, but just as I got up to him he jumped out in front of me. Hit the picks hard but still got him square in front!

He jumped up and ran home up the street and we followed him and told his Uncle what happened. I think they took him to get checked out, I hope they did. He was undamaged apart from a bump on the head where it hit the bonnet as far as I could tell, but I had the whole family with me, too. Scary for them.

Still can't quite understand why little kids just seem to have to run out in front of cars?

Duc
25th December 2007, 08:28
Owww. Bad luck and I feel for you.

I once hit a milk boy who ran out from behind a truck in front of my car. He was lucky as well. Could have been much worse.

Boob Johnson
25th December 2007, 09:55
Shit a brick Scotty!!! Glad no one had to pay the ultimate price.

Merry Christmas btw

NZsarge
25th December 2007, 10:03
It's tough you and your family had to go through that but it all could have ended worse, I know that probably sounds hollow at this point but it's also true.
By the way don't feel bad mate, sounds very much like there's nothing that could have been done to avoid it given the boys actions.

Nasty
25th December 2007, 10:12
Sorry that you have to go through that .. but a lesson to be remembered by us all ... kids just don't know sometimes and just go others ... scary ... I hope your family is ok ... that he is still here shows that the kid is stubborn and a fighter!!

Clivoris
25th December 2007, 10:48
Shit mate.
So glad for all of you involved that there wasn't a death.

Paul in NZ
25th December 2007, 10:57
I'm sure you did your best and lets face it - hardly your fault , in fact you probably did better than many others would have. Well done.

Lifes precious - live it everyday.

Maffoo
25th December 2007, 11:23
wow, that suxx

makes my 'blew up my bike engine yesterday' story seem rather weak

Sharry
25th December 2007, 12:32
Thats a rough end to the year for both your families. :hug: Kids can move so fast and are never predictable. You reacted appropriatly and could not have done anything more with out hindside. It makes us all so much more alert to what is going on around us on the road.

Fatjim
25th December 2007, 12:46
8 year old boys are dumb. My oldest lads 7 1/2 so I got this coming soon.

9 years ago an 8 year old boy rode his brand new bike he got for Christmas out onto SH1 between Otaki and Levin into the path of an old lady doing about 80k. I was about to over take her when I saw the kid coming from the driveway and new before he got any where near her he was toast.

Saw the lad fly through the air and land on the side of the road. The dent his head made on the top of the "A" piller was horrendous, the car was a write off.

He survived with a broken leg and golfball appendage to his head.

Great time of the year!

yungatart
25th December 2007, 13:17
Man, that is sickening...nothing you could do about it.
Feeling for you and for that little chappy and his family too.

RT527
25th December 2007, 20:41
Glad to hear he was ok.

Had a fire call this morning....4 30 am...only an hour after I went to bed from sorting and wrapping pressies.
Was responded to a cng cylinder leaking....just one truck responded...I drove , and said to the officer , you think we should respond the rescue truck too, he said only a cylinder.......got to where the accident was and found a person trapped in the front.....he was heading home to the Coromandel for xmas.....sadly he didnt make it.

So everyone please drive safe and have a good xmas, drive/ride to go home to your loved ones,...on a brighter note due to circumstances I ended up turning traffic around as the road was closed , so decided to have some fun......as I pulled vehicles over to give them directions I`d ask them if they had been drinking , many had priceless looks on there faces as they denied having a drink to which I`d respond ...thats good then cause this isn't a checkpoint.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10484193

Happy xmas from My family to you all.
RT527

sAsLEX
25th December 2007, 20:52
He survived with a broken leg and golfball appendage to his head.

Some people are just lucky.

Had a mate jump/fall off a three story building on to concrete and all he had was a bump on the head.

homer
25th December 2007, 21:38
I heard about a woman who was in the middle of the road and run across to the road side .she was really close to the back of the car and didnt see the trailer or the cage on it

dont know what happened to her .guess she hung a lift

Sketchy_Racer
26th December 2007, 07:38
Some times it is absolutly amazing what the human body is capable of.

And in the same breath, it's amazing how a silly little trip is enough to end it all.

I hit a croncrete wall at 160kph (track) and walked away (admittedly with broken knee caps, but i still walked away)

Then I nearly died from a silly little bug..

it's nuts I say!

Sorry you had to experience that Sensei, never would be fun, thank goodness the boy is still alive.

-Glen

TonyB
26th December 2007, 08:49
Shit Sensei! I bet that was a sickening run back to where he was. I can imagine that whole scene is going to be replaying in your head for a long time.

RT527
26th December 2007, 09:20
How are you getting on Sensei, you know you can ring victim support if you need help they will put you on to someone who can help you.

Just call the cop if one came who was in charge at the scene and he will handle it for you.

steveb64
27th December 2007, 00:01
JEEZ! Shit that must have been a shock! Glad the lad is gonna be OK... bet he's more careful on the road in the future. And I bet your kids will be too!
Hope you don't get too many mental replays of it all... ...and that you had a good Xmas after all that.

spudchucka
27th December 2007, 05:31
you know you can ring victim support if you need help

In particular if the boys need some support, it can be a very shocking experience for kids and is more difficult for young ones to rationalise such events.

Beemer
27th December 2007, 08:45
A similar thing happened with that truck crash near Waiouru a day or so back - two people walking down the middle of the road at midnight and the truck rolled trying to avoid hitting them. It gives you a real fright when you come up near people walking and they suddenly move onto the road.

Glad this kid survived and you are okay too, poor buggers.

EZAS
27th December 2007, 10:20
Very glad to here he was okay.

Sensei
28th December 2007, 16:14
Just a quick post that Boys mum phoned me this morrning to say that her son would be let out of the hospital today to go home so that was some great news . Still feel abit sorry that he had to go there to start with but it was a good ending to what had happend . Thanks for PM's etc from all of you . :niceone: