PDA

View Full Version : Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Pages : [1] 2 3

OV Lander
25th December 2007, 18:31
So am about to head south for a couple of weeks on the bike, and thought it best to ask the idiot question here, amongst friends (?), rather than on the ferry.

Just how do you secure the dike on the ferry?.... ....OK, so I mean't Bike!!

Do you:
- tie it down as per on a trailer (not stand, compress the suspension)?
- put on a stand (side or centre)?
- put it in gear?
- provide your own tie downs?
- tie it down yourself or trust your machine to the crew?

I know some will say the answers are obvious, but I'd rather ask the 'bleedin' obvious' than damage the machine!

Cheers for all advice - G

OV Lander
25th December 2007, 18:37
Meant to say - traveling by Bluebridge, if that makes any difference?

dmouse
25th December 2007, 18:43
maybe your misses wont be happy being called a dike mate ??

tie downs and you have to supply them and fit them yourself unfortunatly but if you ask nice they might give you a hand good look and a good trip

#1 Today, 19:31
OV Lander
L-Plate Rider
Bike: BMW Dakar 2001

TIPS: Bikes and Ferries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So am about to head south for a couple of weeks on the bike, and thought it best to ask the idiot question here, amongst friends (?), rather than on the ferry.

Just how do you secure the dike on the ferry?
^^

P38
25th December 2007, 18:54
Mate I asked too before my first trip and no one thought it stupid.

Dunno how you tie the dike (Maybe the ladies can help you out here) :msn-wink:

but....

Here's my thoughts for securing a Bike.

The crew are really helpfull ask if your unsure, however they wont take as much care with your motorcycle as what you will.

Tie it down yourself.

Take your own tiedowns, 4 is a good number.

Some Compression on the front forks is good, tie the back wheel securely

Tie it back against the wall if possible, common sense will dictate how this is done, but similar to a trailer is a good approach.

You can use anchor points in the cargo bay floor and on the walls.

Stand down and in gear cant hurt either

Look around for a good spot where other vehicles will be less likely to damage your bike if things get a bit rough.

Watchout for the idoit tourists in the campervans, they dont mean to be stupid but they are.

Sometimes stuff gets nicked from unlocked vehicles so either lock it of take it with you.

Hope this helps

Have an awsome trip down south and remember the southern roads are teeming with drivers who usually drive on your side of the road so be careful

OV Lander
25th December 2007, 19:20
Dunno how you tie the dike (Maybe the ladies can help you out here) :msn-wink:

No problems them - Christmas will be a happy one! :msn-wink:.... ....but the bike still presents a challenge

zeRax
25th December 2007, 19:27
just take some good tie downs, and ask someone to give you a hand, bluebridge is really good like that, twice ive theyve done it for me ( cause im no sailor and sold a couple bikes that went on it, wasnt about to throw in some tie downs was i :P )

_b

boomer
25th December 2007, 19:39
two ties downs from the bars ( one each side ); else over the triple tree. DON'T put ya stand down; put the bike upright and compress the forks a little. secure the rear from jumping up and down.. done!

Take your own tie downs, ask for someone to sit on the bike whilst you tie it down/untie it.

Enjoy!

OV Lander
25th December 2007, 20:38
Cheers guys - great advice! Much appreciate your input.... ...Now go have a great break - it IS Christmas!

awayatc
26th December 2007, 01:51
Your normal insurance won't cover for mishaps aboard the ferry...Neither will the ferry pay for damages....

Taz
26th December 2007, 08:09
Why not?......

ajturbo
26th December 2007, 08:37
Why not?......

well lets say you fell off yesterday, 5k damage to bike... but ridable

today you hope on ferry...
you use some old string your grandad had found last centry...

you tie your bike up/down with it..
first gental wave, crash, over your bike falls.... onto a 50k shitter all blinged out.

so there ....someone has a bill for your 5k damage and the 50k shitter...:shifty:

Taz
26th December 2007, 08:42
so you're saying that while your bike or car or truck is on the ferry you are uninsured? Find that hard to believe. Nothing in my policy about ferries.

K slider
26th December 2007, 10:24
I use bluebridge, they have good tie down points and whel chocks.
I have sidestand down 2 chocks and tie the rear via lift handles on my Dakar.
centre stand not a good idea as side stande gives 3 points of contact. or tie rear wheel to back rail and tie front to bars or forklegs chocks a also very good.
have a great trip, Pete.:niceone:

sunhuntin
26th December 2007, 17:54
i always have the sidestand down... i use 2 tiedowns of my own and a wheel chock. stand goes down and "ropes" get hooped over the bars. i pull the sidestand one as tight as it will go first [be careful not to get cables caught underneath] and then do the other side. i try and keep the front as straight/in line with the bike as possible.
i should use back tiedowns as well, but when ive got saddle bags, theres not really anywhere to attach them.
sometimes you will get lucky and they will have proper tiedowns as well as the ropes. if there are other bikes with [and chances are there will be] ask their advice. only ferry staff are allowed on the vehicle deck during sailing. i stay with the bike till the deck is mostly empty, and then get back asap after docking. last time i left all my kit with the bike and it was fine.

Swoop
26th December 2007, 21:01
The "ratchet-type (http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/182/1)" tie-down is preferable over the spring type. The spring-loaded bit, that applies pressure on the webbing can slip... quite easily and at the worst moment.

This (http://www.motorcycletiedownpro.com/) is getting a bit extreme...

But this (http://www.wstda.com/) is rather sad. An Association??:shit:

awayatc
27th December 2007, 04:41
Sorry but insurance conciders ferry a railway crossing....and will not pay out..If you don't believe me please ring your insurance and ask. Plenty of heartbroken car owners have found out the hard way, ask any sailor who worked on those ferries......

NiggleC
27th December 2007, 07:39
Been across Cook Strait dozens of times. Uninsured apparently!! Anyway put your bike on its side stand, in gear and move onto compression (the rear wheel locks up)and get a couple of rubber chocks on the rear wheel. if i am on the ferry during a Rusty Nuts event (ie lots of other bikes) i use my own tie downs but if heading up to the Cold Kiwi for example i have made up some webbing loops (old car seat belts are ideal) and use these to wrap around the handlebars both sides and from near the pillion pegs both sides. then use their tie downs.You'll need to wash your hands afterwards. BlueBridge have good staff who will come over and see if you are coping ok. Interislander couldn't give a stuff. Latest ferry Kaitaki has next to no facilities or tie downs suitable for bikes so if you are booked on that take your own. Arahunga you are squeezed in between the trucks at the backon a wet slippery floor. Aratika you are put at the front of the upstairs car park. keep your helmet on or your earplugs in as the bikes are put next to a massive air intake and its bloody noisy. I have never had one fall over. even when in 3 metre seas on the Lynz still going full noise with the waves breaking over us. Not that i could have cared - too busy feeding the fishes!!

cynna
27th December 2007, 08:57
keep your helmet on or your earplugs in as the bikes are put next to a massive air intake and its bloody noisy

that noise adds to the stress level as you are trying to tie your bike down.....i

warewolf
28th December 2007, 20:23
People fret about their bikes on the ferries, seem to think that it gets really rough. The ferry staff just laugh, they reckon if it gets rough enough to need 4 tie-downs then there's a shitload more to worry about than your bike! Like several hundred souls...

I use the ropes/straps provided, passed over the lower triple-clamp, holding the bike upright like in a trailer. Use a chock either end (one end could be the rail or whatever) to stop the fore/aft rocking. On the Interislander I do a truckies hitch (https://www.vicscouts.asn.au/Scouts/Docs/TruckiesHitch.pdf) but the Bluebridge has straps with mechanical locking devices. One more at the rear end just to triangulate things a bit, and on the 640 Adventure to compress the rear end to stop it hopping around. Can't see the point in carry the weight and bulk of my own tie-downs while I'm on tour, but if you are travelling with a group then resources may become scarce so bringing you own could be useful.

Park up the bike on the stand, affix the LHS tie-down such that when the bike is taken off the stand the bike is held upright but leaning to the RHS - just like when you put a bike on a trailer single-handed. Or if your bike has a side stand, you can do the LHS tie-down firm [edit: not slack, not tight], then do the RHS, pulling the bike vertical ie off the stand.

You don't have to eliminate all movement; you do have to eliminate movement that will loosen the tie-downs.

My service experience is opposite to NiggleC's. Bluebridge were next to useless - they just don't have their shit sorted. In fact the overall experience was so poor I doubt I'll be back by preference. They have some staff that try really hard but they don't make up for everyone else, or the facilities etc.

PS The Kaitaki is a big boat (sorry, ship; boats are picked up and carried on ships) it is the only one that sails in rough conditions, it gets thrown around much less than the others.

Skinny_Birdman
29th December 2007, 09:22

The crew are really helpfull ask if your unsure, however they wont take as much care with your motorcycle as what you will.

I've never been on Bluebridge but after my first experience on the Interislander I am now reluctant to let any crew member within 5m of my bike. I tend to tie my bikes down onto the side stand (ie side stand side first). Without getting into a discussion of the merits of various methods.... after I had secured the stand side, and was just cranking down the opposite side, a 'friendly' Interislander crew member who had offered to 'help' slackened off the strop on the stand side because he thought he saw a better place to secure it.The bike (a fully faired CBR600) immediately and violently tipped over onto the steel deck, just missing me. :shit: Given that, as several people have pointed out already in this thread, the ferry companies operate on the principal of 'all care, no responsibility' (quite reasonably as someone has also pointed out) it is far better to tie the bike down yourself, because (a) It is more fragile than the other cargo that the crews of road/rail ferries tend to deal with, (c) as the owner of the bike you will tend to treat it with a bit more respect, and (b) If they fuck it up, the best you can hope for is an apology.

zxcvbnm
8th August 2008, 22:12
I'm prolly going to the Cold Kiwi then heading towards the bottom of NZ, then up the other side. What sort of stuff will I need for the crossing, like tie downs etc.

Ixion
8th August 2008, 22:14
Only for Honda riders I presume, this crossing.

zxcvbnm
8th August 2008, 22:35
It will be my lone trip, but others can join and leave as they please. It will be done with the least expenditure possible with hide or free camping where available.

puddytat
8th August 2008, 23:21
If its not a busy time on the "fairy", then there'll be heaps of things to tie them down with, more of a problem of what to tie it to sometimes

pete376403
8th August 2008, 23:36
They're being mean to you (BTW it's "ferry")
Take your own tie downs, sometimes there are some available on the boats but more often than not, nothing. Thats all you need.

gammaguy
9th August 2008, 00:29
i do about thirty or so crossings a year on the ferries,all on bikes.(tough job,someones gotta do it)

the interislander provided tie downs for us bikers,but some assholes stole most of them,and the word i get from the guys there is they wont be replaced-cant really blame them huh.

the bluebridge boats are about the same cost,have far better food,cabins to sleep in that are FREE if you are lucky,much better coffee:drool:and generally a far better experience.you can take your own tie downs but ropes are provided.and tie your own bike down cos then you wont have to worry about expensive bits getting scratched/broken etc.

either way,its a great trip,just make sure you take your favorite brew of 2T oil with you cos the good stuff is few and far between round these parts,which is why i keep a 200 litre stash of fully synthetic for personal use:whistle:

chanceyy
9th August 2008, 12:26
i do about thirty or so crossings a year on the ferries,all on bikes.(tough job,someones gotta do it)

the interislander provided tie downs for us bikers,but some assholes stole most of them,and the word i get from the guys there is they wont be replaced-cant really blame them huh.

the bluebridge boats are about the same cost,have far better food,cabins to sleep in that are FREE if you are lucky,much better coffee:drool:and generally a far better experience.you can take your own tie downs but ropes are provided.and tie your own bike down cos then you wont have to worry about expensive bits getting scratched/broken etc.

either way,its a great trip,just make sure you take your favorite brew of 2T oil with you cos the good stuff is few and far between round these parts,which is why i keep a 200 litre stash of fully synthetic for personal use:whistle:

and if you get on Bluebridge (currently Monte Stello) when dogsnbikes is working then you will get looked after really well :yes:

I have travelled on the Bluebridge & staff are really helpful good tie down points & chock for the wheel to help anchor it down - If you have a fully faired bike I would invest in a handlebar bra (oxford product) keeps the tie downs well away from the fairings

Ixion
9th August 2008, 13:28
Sigh. Pearls before swine, that's what it is.

raftn
9th August 2008, 14:31
I have Tie downs you are welcome to borrow, if you dont want to buy some, I used them at christmas when i went across.

Squiggles
13th August 2008, 20:12
Just get some tie downs, if you're heading down on the nsr they can double as a way of tieing your gear to the bike. Lock it down properly on the ferry, in gear, tie down so the forks are partially compressed etc

TOTO
14th August 2008, 19:02
how long does the crossing to the south island take, anyone know ?

I'e , is it short enough time for you to stay on top of your bike instead of tieing it. I'm thinking as a maximum of say 30 minutes. Just asking as I wanna go down that way too once it warms up a bit.

FJRider
14th August 2008, 19:05
how long does the crossing to the south island take, anyone know ?

I'e , is it short enough time for you to stay on top of your bike instead of tieing it. I'm thinking as a maximum of say 30 minutes. Just asking as I wanna go down that way too once it warms up a bit.

Allow three and a half hours, and you are NOT allowed on the rail deck while the ferry is at sea.

TOTO
14th August 2008, 19:15
O I see. Useful info to know.

Cheers.

Balu
18th August 2008, 21:20
Anyone got any pix of their bikes tied down in preparation for crossing so I can see what it looks like - the 3 of us are taking our bikes over at christmas (23rd Dec, return 2 Jan).

gunrunner
18th August 2008, 21:43
Anyone got any pix of their bikes tied down in preparation for crossing so I can see what it looks like - the 3 of us are taking our bikes over at christmas (23rd Dec, return 2 Jan).

Been across heaps but never by bike but do remember seeing a few tied down by stropes over seat etc when boarding

Goblin
18th August 2008, 22:09
Pic of ferry rope tie downs.

Balu
19th August 2008, 18:50
Cheers for the pix.

Vtwo Fiend
24th August 2008, 17:41

How come i never get it that easy, there never seems to be anywhere to secure the bike to and definitely no tie downs, take as many as you would need to tie a bike on a trailer and then some i say.

Goblin
25th August 2008, 08:05
How come i never get it that easy, there never seems to be anywhere to secure the bike to and definitely no tie downs, take as many as you would need to tie a bike on a trailer and then some i say.
I've only been on the ferry four times but there was plenty of tie downs provided. The pic was on the way to the Brass Monkey so there was more bikes than usual and we had to park outside. Apparently they can only fit 12 bikes inside. There are tie down points at all the bike parks. Take your own tie downs if you want tho, they dont take up much room.

Swoop
25th August 2008, 08:50
Can I make an ass of myself and guess who the bike, with pink backpack, belongs to???

Goblin
25th August 2008, 08:54
If ya like. I would call it more of a faded red than pink tho.

Swoop
25th August 2008, 09:05
Faded red it is then!

I was noticing the scuppers (opening in the ship's side) and thought "hope that a helmet can't fit through there!"

-easy--rider-
25th August 2008, 20:29
if you want to sleep get on one of the blue bridges. one has cabins and if your on the other 1 find the room with the couches and turn the lights off then no one else comes in. but if youve never been on the ferry before id say youd want to be having a good look around and enjoying it. gets pretty boring tho its very very slow

Revit
14th October 2008, 19:52
Hi just read your post ,we are going down on 20th and back on 2nd so may see you on way back,booked on Blue bridge

zxcvbnm
28th October 2008, 09:39
Been there, done that now. There was heaps of tie downs on the Arahura in the pic.

The Aratere on the return (Goblin's pic I think) I was right at the back corner on the inside, took a few tie downs to find some good working ones.

Elysium
10th November 2008, 19:55
Can you buy tie downs that don't require knots? I realy suck at knots and plan to try and hit the south island after xmas.

jafar
13th November 2008, 21:03
Can you buy tie downs that don't require knots? I realy suck at knots and plan to try and hit the south island after xmas.

Supercheap have tiedowns to suit you.... quick release buckles

Elysium
14th November 2008, 09:57
Been there, done that now. There was heaps of tie downs on the Arahura in the pic.

The Aratere on the return (Goblin's pic I think) I was right at the back corner on the inside, took a few tie downs to find some good working ones.
Just noticed your pic there, were you worried about the bike being amongst all those trucks? Looks like it's going to be sandwiched.

pritch
14th November 2008, 14:17
Just noticed your pic there, were you worried about the bike being amongst all those trucks? Looks like it's going to be sandwiched.

I think maybe the large object to the left of the picture is part of the ship.

The Arahura is my first choice of ferry, but I have no idea where that picture was taken from.

vifferman
14th November 2008, 14:55
They're being mean to you (BTW it's "ferry").
Spoilsport!
We could've had all sorts of fun'n'games about fairies, cross dressing, bondage, etc.:(

pete376403
14th November 2008, 22:50
if you want to sleep get on one of the blue bridges. one has cabins and if your on the other 1 find the room with the couches and turn the lights off then no one else comes in. but if youve never been on the ferry before id say youd want to be having a good look around and enjoying it. gets pretty boring tho its very very slow

Interislander are going to start making cabins available for (I have been told) $40 one way. Not sure when this is suposed to start.

pritch
15th November 2008, 11:37
Some of the InterIslander ships have a "club lounge". It used to cost $15 but I think it 's gone up a few bucks. Big arm chairs. Free tea, coffee (bags), and biscuits.

There is a 40" TV. A laptop connection.

No children allowed!

And I've never had to share it with more than two other people...

Brilliant!

I hope that they haven't done away with it.

Elysium
15th November 2008, 18:12
Free tea, coffee (bags).
Whoa....to rich for me.

kiwi cowboy
18th November 2008, 21:49
Nothing wrong with using yur jacket for a pillow in a secluded corner out of the way no need for a room:clap::bleh:

Gremlin
29th December 2008, 01:38
When I was making my bookings on the Interislander ferries, I was informed that I needed to bring my own tie downs by the group booking line, as they are no longer providing them, due to buggers continually stealing them.

Just thought I would note it on here, so hopefully no-one gets caught out by this policy.

BMWST?
29th December 2008, 11:08
thats good info thanks

AllanB
29th December 2008, 11:35
Buggers will take anything unless it is tied down.....

Taz
29th December 2008, 11:39
So to all those wankers who took the tiedowns fromm the ships GOOD ONE ARSEHOLES!!!

The minority wreck it for the majority again.

Kwaka14
29th December 2008, 11:40
Same goes for Bluebridge ferries - Both have limited numbers of pretty manky ones though - and ropes that smell like grease and anus.

klingon
29th December 2008, 11:59
Just as well Santa brought my partner some aerofast tie-downs for Christmas. :niceone: $45-ish from Mt EdenMotorcycles (or so Santa told me).

Gremlin
29th December 2008, 13:06
ah... but now they are getting smarter... and taking the tie downs, so you can't tie your stuff down...

scary cunning :shit:

FJRider
29th December 2008, 13:12
Taking your own has always been reccomended by those that regularly cross the straight...

Gremlin
29th December 2008, 13:13
Taking your own has always been reccomended by those that regularly cross the straight...
Definitely, I always do, but I would imagine there is a section of people that just use whatever is on board... except now there won't be.

gijoe1313
29th December 2008, 13:21
Tch, typical filthy biker scum ... :oi-grr:

FJRider
29th December 2008, 13:27
Tch, typical filthy biker scum ... :oi-grr:

More likely cage pilots pinch them for their trailers...

pritch
29th December 2008, 15:40
I've only once ever seen tie downs on a ferry that I'd let near my bike. They were new at the time, but I had my own. The usual offerings were wet and stunk of eau de stocktruck.

raftn
30th December 2008, 08:00
I i have always taken my own, the ones the ferry did have wery crappy any way, and they dont take up much space.

PrincessBandit
6th January 2009, 08:55
We bought our own regardless and used them when we crossed at Christmas. Although they add a bit of weight to your pack we wanted our own so as to not be caught out either without tie downs at all, or getting the manky leftovers.
Didn't see any on the Kaitaki, but the Arahura had plenty.

alanzs
7th January 2009, 09:54
I'm going to be going over in a couple of weeks for a South Island ride so it was great reading this. I called them and they confirmed that you do need to bring your own tie downs.

I booked my ticket online and it doesn't mention anything about this... :eek5:

Gremlin
7th January 2009, 23:27
I'm going to be going over in a couple of weeks for a South Island ride so it was great reading this.
Happy to see it helped someone.

Do the mods think this should be a sticky at the top of the forum? I didn't get any indication from Interislander that the lack of tie-downs will be a temporary thing.

I believe we used the Arahura to head south, and it did have tie downs, but I used my own.

Winston001
8th January 2009, 02:41
Just crossed both ways and the Arahua and the Kaitaki had plenty of tie-downs - which I used. However thanks for the heads-up and I'll take my own in future.

Taz
15th January 2009, 07:13
Just crossed both ways and the Arahua and the Kaitaki had plenty of tie-downs - which I used. However thanks for the heads-up and I'll take my own in future.

Did you steal some so you have them for next time??:cool:

Winston001
15th January 2009, 08:25
Did you steal some so you have them for next time??:cool:

Of course I've got plenty now so I wouldn't need to do that....:devil2:

Nah. Didn't even occur to me that people would do that. Pretty filthy most of them.

vifferman
15th January 2009, 08:35
+1 to all the above.
Haven't used the ferry since 1995ish, but then the tie downs were wet, smelled of eau de stocktruck (as mentioned), etc etc. This meant that after I'd untied them to leave the ferry, I had to put my wet-and-stinky hands back into my dry gloves. :eek:
Something to be aware of - even with your own tiedowns.
Another thing to note: before you set off from home, sort out how youare going to tie down your bike: attachment points, how many tiedowns you require, etc. If it's a sprotsbike, ties onto the 'bars will probably rub on the fairings somewhere. Take a couple of loops of rope or webbing or whatever (unless you have some "Canyon Dancers") to loop over the bars and attach the tiedowns to.

alanzs
15th January 2009, 15:11
I'll be taking the ferry on Monday. I'll let everyone know if there was an issue with tie downs...

Jantar
15th January 2009, 15:13
I've just booked for the Southern Cross, and was advised that I would have to take my own tie downs.

racerhead
15th January 2009, 18:28
I'll be taking the ferry on Monday. I'll let everyone know if there was an issue with tie downs...

Ive just booked for thursday and there was no mention of needing my own tie downs so if you could let me know that would be great:niceone:

robertydog
15th January 2009, 18:40
To be quite honest what they do have on the ferrys is crap. You are better to take your own and at least you know in yr own mind that your bike is secure.

gammaguy
15th January 2009, 18:42
+1 to all the above.
Haven't used the ferry since 1995ish, but then the tie downs were wet, smelled of eau de stocktruck (as mentioned), etc etc. This meant that after I'd untied them to leave the ferry, I had to put my wet-and-stinky hands back into my dry gloves. :eek:
Something to be aware of - even with your own tiedowns.
Another thing to note: before you set off from home, sort out how youare going to tie down your bike: attachment points, how many tiedowns you require, etc. If it's a sprotsbike, ties onto the 'bars will probably rub on the fairings somewhere. Take a couple of loops of rope or webbing or whatever (unless you have some "Canyon Dancers") to loop over the bars and attach the tiedowns to.

hows this for ultimate anal...i take a pair of latex gloves on board so i dont have to get my pristine hands covered in sheep shit and grease.at least,i think its sheep shit...:argh:

then i dont have to put filthy hands in my gloves when i ride off:cool:

KoroJ
15th January 2009, 18:54
hows this for ultimate anal...i take a pair of latex gloves on board so i dont have to get my pristine hands covered in sheep shit and grease.at least,i think its sheep shit...:argh:

You poor pet!! A stint on a shearing gang might be in order to get over that.

I recently booked for 'the' wee pootle in March and was advised to BYO tiedowns, which I do these days anyway.

I guess if you booked online though, they probably wouldn't tell you that.

awayatc
15th January 2009, 18:57
Came across the ditch on Aratere last week, and there were a heap of proper bike tie downs...but a lot of the mechanisms were broken.
Some people could find enough to tie their bikes down with, but I have got my own......
Pays to realise that on a calm crossing your bike won't need tying down....but on a rough ride she definitely needs being properly and securely made fast!!!! You don't know how rough the crossing will be untill you are (nearly) onboard.
So $40 odd dollars for proper bike tiedownd is cheap insurance!

Plus I put my tiedowns to good use fixing a puncture on the flat near Wanganui....managed to tie bike unto a post to get rear wheel off the ground.....

awayatc
15th January 2009, 19:02

The world is a mirror....you get treated the way you treat others I suppose...
I just leave helmet, jacket etc quite happily on bike.....
Over umpteen years at sea never had anything flogged yet..
NEVER....

Flip
15th January 2009, 20:11
The world is a mirror....you get treated the way you treat others I suppose...
I just leave helmet, jacket etc quite happily on bike.....
Over umpteen years at sea never had anything flogged yet..
NEVER....

Take your own tiedowns, and get a good set not the $10 cheepies. You should be able to tie down a bike without getting your hands dirty if the tie downs are not covered with crap.

I had a pair of gloves nicked off the front of my bike one year. Some low life fellow biker needed them more than me. Got a new set in Blenheim no probs.

Winston001
16th January 2009, 16:14

Yeah a mate of mine does that too, and also carries anti-microbial handwash. He's a good guy and a train-spotter of the first order - analyses bikes and accessories down to the finest detail. Just the sort of chap we more laid-back types need to do our research. :2thumbsup

Elysium
16th January 2009, 19:43
While on the subject of ferries, I'm looking at the bluebridge booking pages and asks about luggage being over 30kg etc.. "unless they are in or on your vehicle" does a pack rack, tank bag count as being on my vehicle? Hell does anyone pay this?

racerhead
16th January 2009, 21:03
Hmmm ok going by the general views here I think Ill get some of my own tie downs.
Sheep shit tie downs dont seem too apealing to me:crazy:

skidMark
16th January 2009, 21:24
ive always worried about my bike falling over mid journey, i went across in i think 8-9 metre swells, limit of boat, first sailing after 3 days of none.

It was just me and it was choppy, whole boat shaking etc.

hate to think how much the bikes must get thrown around trying to break loose etc.

skidMark
16th January 2009, 21:30
Came across the ditch on Aratere last week, and there were a heap of proper bike tie downs...but a lot of the mechanisms were broken.
Some people could find enough to tie their bikes down with, but I have got my own......
Pays to realise that on a calm crossing your bike won't need tying down....but on a rough ride she definitely needs being properly and securely made fast!!!! You don't know how rough the crossing will be untill you are (nearly) onboard.
So $40 odd dollars for proper bike tiedownd is cheap insurance!

Plus I put my tiedowns to good use fixing a puncture on the flat near Wanganui....managed to tie bike unto a post to get rear wheel off the ground.....

No tie downs on a smooth crossing, are you mental?

hayd3n
16th January 2009, 22:25
which is better to travel on blue bridge or interislander????

smoky
16th January 2009, 23:03
Do you tie the front down with two tie downs then one for the rear
So you need three?
Do you leave you bike on the centre stand or side stand - or do you pull them up tight so you don't need the stand?

MaxB
16th January 2009, 23:15
While on the subject of ferries, I'm looking at the bluebridge booking pages and asks about luggage being over 30kg etc.. "unless they are in or on your vehicle" does a pack rack, tank bag count as being on my vehicle? Hell does anyone pay this?

To the best of my knowledge no one on a bike has ever paid the luggage charge. Someone on here will probably have a story saying otherwise but..

I usually keep the pack on the bike with a lockable cover and the tank bag goes with me. Never had a problem.

If I had to guess I'd say the rule is aimed at backpackers etc. who seem to carry the whole world on their backs. Then they stretch out on the seats and leave the packs in the gangways for us to trip over.

McDuck
16th January 2009, 23:19
So you need three?
Do you leave you bike on the centre stand or side stand - or do you pull them up tight so you don't need the stand?

Yes, Yes, i leave nether stand down and just tie it down well. Others tie it onto the side stand.

Use the search a little to :)

MaxB
16th January 2009, 23:49
So you need three?

There is heaps of advice on KB already but FWIW

No
Centre stand
and no

I use 2 strops. There is plenty of spare length in the average tie down.

The first goes over the bars looped round each clip on and the other goes over the back seat looped round the grab rail. The centrestand is used on this particular bike 'cos it is short and both wheels touch down. I load up the rear and the front goes light but is held in place. On my previous bikes the sidestand worked well, just compress both ends and leave it in gear.

The trick is to nudge the bike in all directions when you have finished, it should not move or roll off the stand.

Gremlin
17th January 2009, 04:20
After the 2nd sailing, returning to the North Island, there were tie downs on the ferry again, but several had mechanisms that wouldn't hold, something we ended up having to test, before using (I used my own... not going to trust my baby to some crappy tie down).

When I tie mine, I have two on the front, one either side, loops through the top triple clamp or the handlebar clamps (bike is naked). Bike is in gear, rolled forward against the gear, and then chocked in the front for extra protection, with the side stand up (don't have a centre stand). Front forks are then compressed. At this point the bike should be locked in place quite well, but for a bit of extra protection, the third tie down is looped through the back wheel, and tied down.

hayd3n
17th January 2009, 06:18
so blue bridge or interislander which do you prefer?

awayatc
17th January 2009, 07:11
No tie downs on a smooth crossing, are you mental?

Not compared to you......

Your inability to comprehend what you read is tiring.

Elysium
17th January 2009, 08:08
To the best of my knowledge no one on a bike has ever paid the luggage charge. Someone on here will probably have a story saying otherwise but..

I usually keep the pack on the bike with a lockable cover and the tank bag goes with me. Never had a problem.

If I had to guess I'd say the rule is aimed at backpackers etc. who seem to carry the whole world on their backs. Then they stretch out on the seats and leave the packs in the gangways for us to trip over.

Cool. I have a soft Ventura lagguage(padlocks on zippers and rack) and tank bag which I can carry so shouldn't be a problem.

On the issue of tie-downs, does anyone have pics of their bikes tied down they might want to share? Might help those here confused on the placement of the tie-downs.

PrincessBandit
17th January 2009, 08:27
How you tie down depends on the circumstances. Going south on the Kaitaki the bikes were up against a concrete strip running the length of the ship so we used side stands (bandit and burgman) and tie down front only. Coming back on the Arahura all bikes were in the centre of the ship (with nothing to be pushed up against) so I left mine in gear - burgman has a handbrake so rik always uses that anyway - and we tied down front and rear.
We bought those one piece slip-over ones, two per bike, and on the southern crossing wondered why we'd bought two each. Return to the North Island confirmed we'd done the right thing! I even managed to sort out my tying down myself for the return trip, although still had to get someone with more muscles to complete the pulling down.......

Gremlin
17th January 2009, 11:13
apparently some swear by bluebridge, because its NZ owned etc. Apparently the prices are better too. I have used Interislander twice, and have booking codes, so it makes it cheaper, with better conditions attached to the booking. Can't say I have had any issues (other than a technical issue delaying sailing for 2 hours last time)

On the issue of tie-downs, does anyone have pics of their bikes tied down they might want to share? Might help those here confused on the placement of the tie-downs.
I can put up some pics, but not at home at the moment, I'll do that when I get home

Winston001
17th January 2009, 22:26
When I tie mine, I have two on the front, one either side, loops through the top triple clamp or the handlebar clamps (bike is naked). Bike is in gear, rolled forward against the gear, and then chocked in the front for extra protection, with the side stand up (don't have a centre stand). Front forks are then compressed. At this point the bike should be locked in place quite well, but for a bit of extra protection, the third tie down is looped through the back wheel, and tied down.

Ditto. If you wind the tiedown around the back wheel (in gear) it grips and holds very well. That way the bike isn't relying on the compression of the rear shock, which is what you are doing by tying over the seat.

I do not put the sidestand down and never have - mostly used tie-downs on trailors. My view is that the sidestand is not built to hold the stress of the whole bike being compressed on it. You are better to compress the front shocks as much as possible and that provides a very firm anchor. Plus one at the rear around the tyre.

Gremlin
17th January 2009, 23:27
...My view is that the sidestand is not built to hold the stress of the whole bike being compressed on it.
This is actually a good point. Depending on bike design, you could do serious amounts of damage if the side stand is overloaded (because of the way the sidestand mounts to the bike). The MV Agusta is one such bike...

Here's some pics of our bikes tied down on the ferry. Note that the ferries vary, and on another, they use chains across the front and rear of the bikes, that the tie downs have to clip to (little less secure, as the chain has slack as well).

I also believe in trying to get a wider spread of the tie downs for better stability, without being crazy, so thats why the tie downs cross over in the middle, as the hornet takes the ktm's mount, while the ktm takes the hornets mount. I also tie the end of the front straps off right under the catch, to prevent any slipping.

Elysium
18th January 2009, 05:35
Looks like you need two people for that sort of job. Being on solo I may have to use the side stand on my Hornet as I an't imagine tying to balance the big bike while attempting to put the tie-downs on.

McDuck
18th January 2009, 07:26
Looks like you need two people for that sort of job. Being on solo I may have to use the side stand on my Hornet as I an't imagine tying to balance the big bike while attempting to put the tie-downs on.

It can be done, rest on side stad, tie other side so it is barely resting on side stand, lift the side stand up, tie that side down gently then tighten each side a little at a time untill they are tight enough.

gijoe1313
18th January 2009, 07:54

It can be done, rest on side stad, tie other side so it is barely resting on side stand, lift the side stand up, tie that side down gently then tighten each side a little at a time untill they are tight enough.

You can also ask one of the deckhands to give you a hand also, just be cheery and use the magic words you learnt as a bubby! :yes:

Winston001
18th January 2009, 23:44

10 characters

KoRe
27th January 2009, 15:04
Yeah i just called them now. They said they don't provide them.

3L4NS1R
27th January 2009, 15:24
bluebridge kicks interislanders ass by the way. Yeah the tie downs were pretty manky and only rope, but the thought was there...

Elysium
27th January 2009, 17:50
bluebridge kicks interislanders ass by the way. Yeah the tie downs were pretty manky and only rope, but the thought was there...

Got four tie-downs to play with so I hope to have my bike nice and secured. I heard the Bluebridge was better for us bikies which is why I choose them.

I leave on the 31st so only three more days!

doc
27th January 2009, 18:14
Fark don't you think we are gettin a bit anal here.

Tie it down the best you can at the time. I've given up taking my own stuff. Never had a problem. The car drivers sorry Cage don't have to bring their own
No matter what you had on the "Wahine":devil2: it don't matter aye

BMWST?
27th January 2009, 20:42
I also believe in trying to get a wider spread of the tie downs for better stability, without being crazy, so thats why the tie downs cross over in the middle, as the hornet takes the ktm's mount, while the ktm takes the hornets mount. I also tie the end of the front straps off right under the catch, to prevent any slipping.

nice work!

alanzs
27th January 2009, 20:58
Went twice on the Aruhura (?) in the last week and they had a shit load of just fine tie downs. I had two of my own and used a couple of theirs. No worries. Crossing both times was like a cruise on a lake.

pritch
28th January 2009, 21:35

That question won't really give you a sensible answer. Some questions are like that :whistle:

Might I suggest that it comes down to the individual ship. My ferry of choice is the Arahura it has several purpose designed bike parks just inside the door.
Each has four strategically placed Ds in the deck. Perfect. But this has all been posted before.

The Kaitake is crap. No tiedown points, surly crew, and bikes are last off.
You spend the next hour passing all the trucks they let off before you.
If I had a truck this would be my choice but I don't - so it ain't.

I have used Blue Bridge once. I won't use that ship again. No tie down points, and they wouldn't let you at the bikes until the ship was docking so all the bikes were stopped around the wharves re-packing and getting dressed etc while the cars drove past.

As to the other Blue Bridge ship I haven't tried it and won't unless I get really good info that it's way betterer than the one I went on.

There was another Interislander ferry I went on some years ago that had specific bike parks against the bulkhead and that was good too but I don't know which ship that was.

Basically I will plan crossings around the Arahura until I get advice to the contrary from people whose opinions I trust.

sunhuntin
29th January 2009, 07:07
Went twice on the Aruhura (?) in the last week and they had a shit load of just fine tie downs. I had two of my own and used a couple of theirs. No worries. Crossing both times was like a cruise on a lake.

ive done the crossing twice each way. both times, i took 2 of my own, and used 2 of theirs, plus a chock. i leave the stand down, but i dont compress on to it. by the time im done, the bike is vertical, and the stand dangling in mid air. i leave it down on the odd chance of a strap breaking and hope like hell it will save that side of the bike. also good, cos i didnt realise how high i had her last time, and when i loosened the strap, she dropped. forgot about that, lol. thankfully i did the opposite side first, otherwise it would have been a domino effect!

with mine, i loop 2 over the handle bars, and 2 in the pack rack frame. i leave my luggage with the bike, but either take my jacket etc, or find a way to secure them [helmet lock etc. it holds more than a helmet] i wouldnt leave anything unsecured unless i could afford to lose it.

Gremlin
29th January 2009, 14:03
...and 2 in the pack rack frame.
I would avoid tying the bike down using the pack rack frame as it won't be designed to hold that kind of weight.

If the front is held securely (which is easy to do) the rear strap is really just to stop it bouncing around, so looping it through the rear wheel should do the trick.

Other options could be over the seat if you wanted, but thats using the subframe, or rear foot pegs, again, the sub frame.

McDuck
29th January 2009, 14:32
I would avoid tying the bike down using the pack rack frame as it won't be designed to hold that kind of weight.

If the front is held securely (which is easy to do) the rear strap is really just to stop it bouncing around, so looping it through the rear wheel should do the trick.

Other options could be over the seat if you wanted, but thats using the subframe, or rear foot pegs, again, the sub frame.

I figure that if the sub frame is designed to have 100kg+ of pillion on it it will handle 40kg of tie down force from a ratchet :)

elevenhundred
4th February 2009, 13:49
The last time I took a bike on the ferry (1996) we took our own, otherwise we would have had to make do with plain old rope.
It's handy when you have you're own ratchets, I had to use mine later in the trip to secure mine on the truck that picked it up after I binned it :)

Hanne
4th February 2009, 14:25
We crossed over twice in the last two weeks, using first Blue Bridge then Interislander.

Blu Bridge was awesome, we turned up at 9.30 wanting to buy tickets for the 10am, they said no problem but hurry on, we rode on and the boat left 15 min early! There were rope tie downs but we used our own. Staff were lovely, let us off as soo nas we were docked and suited up (bikes were right by exit).

Returning was a different story... admittedly we probably should have booked but their interislander site was down when I tried ><. Apparently there were 'no spaces available for vehicles' but if we bought a later ticket and paid $40 standby fee we might get on the 6pm boat. Of course there were 10 free bike spots and the lady at check in looekd very confused, saying SHE was the one who was supposed ot do the 'standby' becasue she knew we could fit... it was SUPER disorganised anyway. And then the boat left late.

So Bluebridge gets my vote. Oh, and Bluebridge had more couches and a free movie.

/rant over

sunhuntin
4th February 2009, 17:28

i maybe didnt describe it very well. ive attached a photo. the bracket has changed so i could put a top box on, but its made of the same stuff and in the same place.
its the most secure place to tie the back down by, and the 4 crossings ive done hasnt done it any damage.

NordieBoy
4th February 2009, 20:23
No problems on the BlueBridge - Santa Regina.

Used my own tiedowns instead of the ropes and didn't bother with one of the wheel chocks that the Police Special and Triumph used.

Swampdonkey
4th February 2009, 20:47
Go on the Kaitaki,Pay a little extra and head up to the guest lounge....chiller full of piss, all the food you can eat ...internet,sky. Last to leave the ship every time...

Radar
5th February 2009, 18:51
No problems on the BlueBridge - Santa Regina.

Used my own tiedowns instead of the ropes and didn't bother with one of the wheel chocks that the Police Special and Triumph used.

Nice tie downs. I had cheaper ones from the Warehouse, $20 a pair, but they did the job just fine - used them on the rear only. On the front I used the Interislander straps but some of them were in sad shape and could not be used. I did bring along some rope just in case but did not use it. Unless you are crossing in bad weather or huge swells, smaller tie downs will be fine (remember that they will not have to hold the entire weight of the bike but just to stabilize it) but obviously if you don't mind spending more $$, get four heavy duty ratchet tie downs.

Did a S Island tour down to Milford, Invercargill, etc. Bloody terrific. Came back a week ago. Was down there twice before in a cage but never on a bike: awesome! The ride into Milford Sound has to be one of the great bike rides of the world.

Used Interislander both ways and it was OK but reading the comments above next time I would go on Bluebridge.

BTW, there was a minor accident that happened to one of the bikes on the Wgtn-Picton ferry. Luckily it did not involve me. I think all KB'ers should be aware of what happened:

When I first rode on and parked the bike there were about 10 bikes. One of the bikes was a brand new beautiful hot Yamaha R6. The guy to his LEFT had a dirt bike and the idiot somehow let it fall onto the new bike causing a dent in the R6's petrol tank from the dirt bike handlebar. The guy immediately apologized and promised he would pay, giving details. The R6 actually did not belong to the guy riding it but to his girlfriend (guess she was not experienced or confident enough to ride it onto the ferry), and she was in tears. Imagine having a brand new bike and getting it damaged doing zero kph!

So the warning on a ferry is to LOOK OUT FOR THE BIKE TO YOUR LEFT when parking - maybe help the rider tie his bike down. The bike to your right will most likely have a kickstand down or if you are unlucky it could be a centre stand meaning that either bike could fall onto your's. Just be careful of tired or nervous riders that could dent or scratch your bike when they mess up securing their own bike.

BTW, there was a cruiser that had only one tie down. The owner was either an experienced ferry user and knew that the crossing was going to be so smooth hardly any tie downs would be necessary, or he was.... well, you know....!

NordieBoy
5th February 2009, 21:27
Nice tie downs. I had cheaper ones from the Warehouse, $20 a pair, but they did the job just fine - used them on the rear only. On the front I used the Interislander straps but some of them were in sad shape and could not be used. I did bring along some rope just in case but did not use it. Unless you are crossing in bad weather or huge swells, smaller tie downs will be fine (remember that they will not have to hold the entire weight of the bike but just to stabilize it) but obviously if you don't mind spending more $$, get four heavy duty ratchet tie downs.

Bunnings: $20 for 2 normal and 2 racheting tiedowns in bright green :D

BlueBridge was $105 for me and the bike.

_Shrek_
7th February 2009, 09:38
I use the Blue Bridge manly coz of the $$$ & I take my own tie downs & don't let the crew near it.
The 1st time I took a bike across they tied it down with ropes & ripped off my indercator :mad2: on a good note they paid for a new one :clap: & if you are new at it they will assist if you ask :niceone: guys

longwayfromhome
7th February 2009, 16:30
So next week I am riding down Akl-West Coast somewhere on Friday, across to ChCh on Saturday, ChCh back home on Sunday. I'm going to give moral support to a competitor in the Coast-to-Coast. I've never been across the ferries on a bike so wanted to know some of the "rules-of-thumb" to help expidite.

1. Do bikes have to pre-buy tickets or is there generally plenty of room for bikes, even if its full for cars? When I have travelled on ferries in USA/Canada, tickets were never pre-bought for bikes as they just fitted the bikes in around the cars e.g. across to NS from Maine, Victoria to WA.
2. Since I don't know exactly which ferry I'll be hitting, what do you normally do? Do you pre-buy tickets for one sailing, but if you get there earlier/later they are happy for you to use them on a different sailing?

I suppose I am trying to get a feeling for how exact I have to be on the timings/arrangements. I am thinking a sailing about 2pm on Friday and a 10am on Sunday would be pretty good.

What is the usual thing with these ferries?

I see the threads about tiedowns etc.

TIA.

paulmac
7th February 2009, 16:49
check out www.interislander.co.nz Pays to book ahead and be on time, they can be a bit anal !! having your own tie downs is good but not usually necessary.

Starky307
7th February 2009, 16:53
From previous experience with crossing using a car I'd suggest you prebook. I have never crossed on a bike so I'm not sure if they fill the gaps with bikes or not.
Have a look at this link (http://www.interislander.co.nz/Default.aspx) to book a ride, but I'd hurry as the afternoon ferry is filling up fast for next friday.
All the best.

Starky307
7th February 2009, 16:55
check out www.interislander.co.nz Pays to book ahead and be on time, they can be a bit anal !! having your own tie downs is good but not usually necessary.

I just got beaten to the posting finish line.:laugh:

davereid
7th February 2009, 17:42
IMHO, the "interislander" is to be avoided. Unless you pay on-line before you show up (with generous cancellation penalties) you will never be able to determine your exact fare. You will be treated like a P.O.S., and your money extracted at every turn.

You could try BLUEBRIDGE. They offer tired old boats, but they just charge the published fare. Even if you are there 2 mins before sailing..the published fare still applies. They will help you with your bike, and park it so you can get off first. The pies are half cold, but the service cheerful. Its always been cheaper in my experience, I will never travel with the other lot unless I have no choice. Given the gmints recent subsidy, I guess thats what I'll have.

Taz
7th February 2009, 18:25
I also preferred bluebridge.

Kickaha
7th February 2009, 18:48
IMHO, the "interislander" is to be avoided. Unless you pay on-line before you show up (with generous cancellation penalties) you will never be able to determine your exact fare. You will be treated like a P.O.S., and your money extracted at every turn.

I do regular crossing with Interislander and have yet to experience any of that

When travelling by bike I used to turn up and buy at the terminal, although now I tend to organise ahead and prepay as it can save a bit of cash

Its always been cheaper in my experience, I will never travel with the other lot unless I have no choice. Given the gmints recent subsidy, I guess thats what I'll have.

I'd say if you turn up and pay on the day Bluebridge will be cheaper most of the time, if you can book far enough ahead Interislander would be

Latest comparison travelling to Manfield next week, Van + Trailer and two people

Both fares compared last Saturday and booked with Interislander that day
Interislander $293
Bluebridge $350

Last year coming back from Puke and booking on the day Bluebridge was $30 cheaper and as there crossing was a more convinient time I used them, can't say I noticed any difference in the service

Take your own tie downs

Wannabiker
8th February 2009, 07:24
It does pay to book at this time of year. I went down with the bike to CHCH and back in the new year and left the bookings to the last moment and was a bit limited on sailings as they were full...ie the ferry was carrying the maximum number of passengers. (for both Bluebridge and Interislander). On both carriers motorcycles have a designated area on the vehicle deck, with some tie-downs supplied. It would pay to have 2 tie-downs with you just in case of heavy bookings.

I have travelled regularly on both, and Bluebridge can be a bit cheaper, but the boats are just a bit older and a little more industrial, as they seem to be the carrier for transport industry. The service is friendly and good though.

When booking my last trip on the interislander, the only fare left was the "Kaitaki plus", which was an extra $40 over the standard fare. This gave me access to the Kaitaki club lounge on board, which is similar to the "Koru lounge". There was help yourself food and beverages (beeer wine and softdrink) coffee/tea, finger food, and a couple of internet computers. This made the trip more bearable to say the least!! On the return journey I did not get the Kaitaki Plus fare and spent close to the $40 extra in the cafeteria and bar anyway.

So, in short...traveling at this time of year it would pay to book at least a couple of days in advance, as some sailings do get full. (on both carriers):scooter:

Wannabiker
8th February 2009, 07:29
I would aim for getting the morning sailing from wellington, and the early afternoon sailing returning from Picton. Both sailings leave ample time to get to/ from the main SI destinations. PM me if you need accomodation....

portokiwi
8th February 2009, 07:37
Been on the interislander was nice and relaxed. Never tried the Blue bridge.
good to have both options..... Where does blue bridge sail from?

Wannabiker
8th February 2009, 08:16
Bluebridge terminal is right in Wellington...just near the train station. Its signposted along Aotea Quay...

Their terminal is alongside Interislander at Picton though. (seperate check-in gates though)

Conquiztador
8th February 2009, 08:44
Travelled Napier-Timaru end of last year. (See my blog) and missed the interislander when coming back up. Was late, midnight, and I got to travel on the freight ferry. Cheaper and free food, plus a small cabin. Would clearly be my choice from now on.

longwayfromhome
8th February 2009, 09:07
Thanks everyone for the info. All very useful...even an offer for accom which I'll pass on this time as I have some hard targets to make, otherwise next time (ta W.).

I'll try the Interislander this time and Blueridge next. Jeez, its not bloody cheap though is it!

ANy comments on the following for tie-down...I have straps with loops at either end. What I would normally do is put it on the side stand, lock the front wheel and tie the side stand to the front axle so it can't roll off the stand. The triangulation is then at its most stable. Any other ties would be to stop it toppling the other way in a big roll/pitch (depending on bike's orientation on the barky). I may see if the car parts place has any of those straps with ratchets on them. That may be quicker/neater. Then I have a good set for future trips as well. The LT does have plenty of room to carry crap like this :-)

crazybigal
8th February 2009, 11:10
with my blackbird i use a bike bra (oxford make them) loops over the handle bars with a strap between them.
Also keeps the tiedowns off the bodywork, stopping rubbing on the paintwork.
I use the method of standing the bike upright with tiedowns on all four corners of the bike. They have rubber chocks for the front wheel.
Some of the ships have rings on the deck to clip to others have a silly hole on the deck for a hook to go into, not a big fan of those.
Some people prefer the triangle method to tie theri bike down on its side stand.
what ever works for you i guess.
Dont trust the cheep tiedowns they give you on the boat, if they even have them, some just have dirty old ropes.
i did hear the other day that interislander is no longer going to keep a stock of tiedowns as people nick them or wreck them.

Thanks everyone for the info. All very useful...even an offer for accom which I'll pass on this time as I have some hard targets to make, otherwise next time (ta W.).

I'll try the Interislander this time and Blueridge next. Jeez, its not bloody cheap though is it!

ANy comments on the following for tie-down...I have straps with loops at either end. What I would normally do is put it on the side stand, lock the front wheel and tie the side stand to the front axle so it can't roll off the stand. The triangulation is then at its most stable. Any other ties would be to stop it toppling the other way in a big roll/pitch (depending on bike's orientation on the barky). I may see if the car parts place has any of those straps with ratchets on them. That may be quicker/neater. Then I have a good set for future trips as well. The LT does have plenty of room to carry crap like this :-)

Crasherfromwayback
8th February 2009, 11:26
with my blackbird i use a bike bra (oxford make them) loops over the handle bars with a strap between them.
Also keeps the tiedowns off the bodywork, stopping rubbing on the paintwork.
I use the method of standing the bike upright with tiedowns on all four corners of the bike. They have rubber chocks for the front wheel.

Good advice mate...those Oxford doo dakies are the go for road bikes!

Beemer
8th February 2009, 11:31
Dont trust the cheep tiedowns they give you on the boat, if they even have them, some just have dirty old ropes.
i did hear the other day that interislander is no longer going to keep a stock of tiedowns as people nick them or wreck them.

And if they do have any tie-downs, they are covered in cow shit from the cattle trucks that often share the same deck. You definitely don't want to be untying them and then putting your gloves straight on when you leave at the other end! We take our own, and have left them at the place we stay overnight in Picton on the way south, picking them up again on the way to the ferry home.

Paul_C
8th February 2009, 17:28
I went over on Bluebridge a couple of times and they've always ushered me to the front of the queue both getting on and getting off, and generally been pretty good about it.

I also used that crappy smelly ropes, however they were fairly strong looking and I used a few truckies hitchs' to tie the bike down and didn't have any problems. The sea was pretty calm though. I'd hate to go over on a rough day, proper tie downs or not.

sunhuntin
9th February 2009, 08:46
ive always used inter islander, and bikes are generally put on first. one has the bike parks at the very end of the deck, and theres no way a bike would be able to "filter' through once its full of cars. [i have to walk sideways sometimes, so yeh.] another has the parks at the front, so the bikes can get on at any time during loading. im not sure if that boat has parks at the back, as there didnt seem to be much room at the front. room for maybe 8 or 10? maybe?

i always book ahead, and make sure i arrive at least an hour early in wellington, mainly so if i get lost, i dont miss the boat.

3umph
9th February 2009, 14:15
I have been on both and both are good. I have booked and turned up and usually just turn up and and get on as well with no problems... wen I do that i go and see who is sailing next and go with them.
The last time I got on the Bluebridge it was that close that when I got off the loading ramp they started raising the ramp and we were sailing just about before I had tied the bike down...

from now the only time I book is if it is a holiday period otherwise its roll up and buy when i get there

MarkH
9th February 2009, 21:12
ive always used inter islander, and bikes are generally put on first. one has the bike parks at the very end of the deck, and theres no way a bike would be able to "filter' through once its full of cars.

That one might have been the Aratere - it has bike parks at the back.

The Arahura has room for about 8 bikes at the front, not sure if there are more at the back.

longwayfromhome
20th February 2009, 07:45
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Went down last weekend. Put it on the sidesstand, then did one tiedown on the left and on the right, start forward at about front axle level, diagonally in over the footpeg, then diagonally out the back, to level with the back axle. Can't tell if it would hold in a really bad swell as it was pretty calm.

Personally, I think they should buy 20 or so front wheel clamps...that would solve it once and for all. Imagine a situation where you ride stright in, clamp auto closes, put in the locking pin, one light tie to stop the back jumping around....finished in about 1-2 mins, all bikes, all shapes and sizes. The advantage for the Ferry company would be that they can fit quite a lot more bikes in, and be more secure.

Other thing is that if you have a booking, you don't have to turn up until much nearer the sailing time. Bikes go in second (Freight goes in first on the two sailings I was on).

DMNTD
19th April 2009, 15:22
Quick question...I'm riding down to Wellington tomorrow to take the ferry over the great divide.
Now then...can someone give me a heads up re how easy it is to find the ferry terminal?

Ixion
19th April 2009, 15:23
Easy as. Ride out to sea about 5 miles. Watch for a honking big boat steaming in and follow it in

Disco Dan
19th April 2009, 15:25
A true nightmare.

Ride in correct direction and then use GPS, maps, compass and stars to navigate.

Picton is worse... theres bloody two different ones... but you have to be a right plonker to wait at the wrong one... :2thumbsup

DMNTD
19th April 2009, 15:25
Easy as. Ride out to sea about 5 miles. Watch for a honking big boat steaming in and follow it in

Why thank you for you pearls of wisdom....somehow they remind me of my Grandma's necklace

Ojai
19th April 2009, 15:30
Quick question...I'm riding down to Wellington tomorrow to take the ferry over the great divide.
Now then...can someone give me a heads up re how easy it is to find the ferry terminal?

I'll do the real answer :banana:

SR 1 south, exit onto Aotea Quay. Take the first right, go around the bend and it will dump you into the car park.

Easy as, and there are signs pointing you to it as well.

Headbanger
19th April 2009, 15:33
Its sign posted. If you can read then your fine.

Otherwise down the big hill with the speed camera and take the exit at the bottom.

DingoZ
19th April 2009, 15:35
Easy as D. If you are coming straight down SH 1, come down the Ngauranga Gorge, follow the big signs saying Ferry Terminal all the way in.

If you are coming over the Taka's and are on sh 2, same deal follow this all the way in and again follow the big signs saying Ferry Terminal....:)

If you do happen to get turned around NP. Give me a call.

DMNTD
19th April 2009, 15:56
...down the big hill with the speed camera and take the exit at the bottom.

Cheers man

owner
19th April 2009, 15:59
The ferry leaves from the waterfront :headbang:

Place to crash in Kaiapoi here if you want it

Hang on, there is a place to "stay the night" in Kaiapoi if you want it

No more crashing for you son:Pokey:

Str8 Jacket
19th April 2009, 16:15
Hey D, what time you catching the ferry tomorrow?

Kickaha
19th April 2009, 16:17

How far down are you coming?

DMNTD
19th April 2009, 16:17
Hey D, what time you catching the ferry tomorrow?

Last call for check in is 1pm so trying to get there about an hour earlier.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/06/16-22/bananas.jpg

DMNTD
19th April 2009, 16:18
How far down are you coming?

Dunno...no plans what so ever :2thumbsup

duckonin
19th April 2009, 16:21
easy if you can read follow the signs, if you carn't then your in trouble..

Taz
19th April 2009, 16:22
If you ride up the loading ramp and don't hear a splash at the end then you've found the ferry.

Str8 Jacket
19th April 2009, 16:27
Last call for check in is 1pm so trying to get there about an hour earlier.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/06/16-22/bananas.jpg

Oh, you've putt some in your pants in anticpation already eh?!

I work very close to the ferry terminal and motorway etc and if you want I could meet you somewhere and show you the way...

owner
19th April 2009, 16:31
Pack warm gear its fucken cold down here bud. Arthurs pass and the Lewis pass Is a good ride

sinfull
19th April 2009, 17:01
Dunno...no plans what so ever :2thumbsup

Get ya shit together and get on ya bike now mate the wet stuff is gonna be on ya in a couple of hours and you'll be riding in crap all the way morra morn !

I'm about an hour 15 from the city Bro and seeing how i've got sweet fuck all else to do morra, could come for a tutu into the city wif ya if ya want some company !
Numbers in my "About me" thingy, chuck it in ya phone, seeing i have the back up wagon here also !
Bed here if needed ! Food ! Dryer ! And Heineken ! Not to mention a few other essentials !

Genestho
19th April 2009, 17:13
OHHHHH MAN! I'm so Jealous!!!! West Coast Baby!!!:clap:

Have an awesome ride Dude!!!!:2thumbsup

cowboyz
19th April 2009, 17:15
Its sign posted. If you can read then your fine.

hes fucked then...........

pzkpfw
19th April 2009, 20:11
Ignoring the jokes, you got some BAD advice here.

If coming down on SH1, you need to get OFF the "main" road - the Aotea off ramp is NOT where you want to get to.

Near the bottom of the gorge, be in the LEFT lane - don't go up and over following the "main" two lanes. (Watch out for the speed camera half-way down the gorge, too). The road will curve to the RIGHT and shortly come to a traffic light (no need to change lane or exit before that light). Then it's mostly straight - more or less South for a few k's. You'll find two more sets of lights (the first only for right turners), each about a third of the way to where you need to take an exit up and to the LEFT. Before the bottom of that small hump you need to be in the RIGHT lane (left lane there takes you into the city). You'll curve further 'round to the right (after a give-way). Be carefull after that point to stay on the RIGHT (going left there puts you on an on-ramp that goes back up onto SH1).

If you come over the Rimutakas, watch for the bottom end of the gorge (you'll see the overpass). Take a LEFT off the "main" road (just before the overpass), as though you were planning to go up the gorge. At this place, stay in the LEFT lane - you'll end up at the first of the traffic lights mentioned above. Do a LEFT turn here.

Check it all out on a map, it'll all make sense.

marty
19th April 2009, 20:39
<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.nz/maps/sv?cbp=12,221.2276302617703,,0,5&amp;cbll=-41.262097,174.789348&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=nz"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;q=Aotea+Quay,+Thorndon ,+Wellington&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;cd=1&amp;geocode=FU1Liv0dcwVrCg&amp;s plit=0&amp;sll=-41.244772,172.617188&amp;sspn=17.430211,24.345703&amp;ll=-41.259291,174.790077&amp;spn=0.007807,0.027466&amp;z=14&amp;iw loc=A&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=-41.262097,174.789348&amp;panoid=lmfgNsWY0-j1KwlujT_J_w&amp;cbp=12,221.2276302617703,,0,5" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Shadows
19th April 2009, 21:31
Don't forget ya passport...

Gremlin
19th April 2009, 22:16
Its all signposted when coming down SH1 from the north. Be real wary of the speed limits going into Wellington, there is an 80 zone for no real reason, and a camera that catches the rear plate in the 80. Follow the signs, from memory, you need to feed left, go through a nice curve and onto another motorway, then split off for the Interislander. It will get real specific, you head one way for Bluebridge, another for Interislander.

PM me if you wants tips for any area, but them South Islanders should be Ok at not sending ya too wrong.

Enjoy, its bloody awesome down there :2thumbsup

wait... I mean terrible, they all told me to say that

Unit
20th April 2009, 07:16
Well chris managed to leave fine this time, better, he's on my bike :eek5:. All kitted up in wet weather gear etc so he should be fine. It was definitely raining here when he left at 6am. His first stop is scheduled for Taihape (we worked out fuel distances last night should be the only fuel stop he needs all day). Hopefully today will be the worst of the weather he has all week, but I dont like the "Gale Force Warning" in place for Cook straight this afternoon, winds up to 50ks. How bad does it need to get before they cancel a crossing? And how well are the bikes tied down in storms? We packed some extra tiedowns just in case. He would have loved to take the R1, but its got soft go fast tires, and the 14 is far more suited to touring with its luggage capacity (didnt think it was wise for him to spend a week with a pack on his back given ribs are still healing and, well both shoulders have been broken in the last year).

gijoe1313
20th April 2009, 10:03
This trip will turn out to be an eye-opener I bet! :yes:

jafar
20th April 2009, 10:22
Gale warning? You sure he wants to visit the south island?

The Interislander ferry's stop running when the swell gets to the 7 metre mark.
Bluebridge have a similar tolerance. :eek5:
You don't want to be on either of them in a 7 metre sea, its fun until someone chucks:sick: then that sets them all off. Better still the crew often lock all the outside doors in heavy seas so you can get the full effect of the delicate bouquet of everyones last nights dinner 'finding the light' again.:woohoo:

Mikkel
20th April 2009, 11:13
Gale warning? You sure he wants to visit the south island?

The Interislander ferry's stop running when the swell gets to the 7 metre mark.
Bluebridge have a similar tolerance. :eek5:
You don't want to be on either of them in a 7 metre sea, its fun until someone chucks:sick: then that sets them all off. Better still the crew often lock all the outside doors in heavy seas so you can get the full effect of the delicate bouquet of everyones last nights dinner 'finding the light' again.:woohoo:

...on the other hand, it's only 3 hours and watching people being sick doesn't get old that quickly. :sick:

In 7 meter swells seasickness pills would be a good investment.

No worries, according to the webcams it's looking pretty nice up there:
http://www.snow.co.nz/travel/Interislander/Interislander.jpg
:lol:

EJK
20th April 2009, 11:16
Good luck to him. :)

MVnut
20th April 2009, 14:29
I presume you will be a starter for Akaroa ????? Have fun mate:woohoo:

Colapop
20th April 2009, 14:41
I heard from him... he's on the boat. They have bouurbon! He's happy. The water thingy is a bit up and down but he'l be fine...:sick::puke::puke::sick:

Gremlin
20th April 2009, 15:52
Well chris managed to leave fine this time, better, he's on my bike :eek5:.

And how well are the bikes tied down in storms?

(didnt think it was wise for him to spend a week with a pack on his back given ribs are still healing and, well both shoulders have been broken in the last year).
You leant him your bike? You poor brave gal :gob: You tie the bikes down yourself, or at least, you should. I wouldn't leave mine to the staff.

Quite correct to use luggage, only nutters like gijoe like backpacks for long distances :yes:

This trip will turn out to be an eye-opener I bet! :yes:
Could it be more epic than ours? This is dmntd after all! :eek5:

Swoop
20th April 2009, 16:07
I heard from him... he's on the boat. They have bouurbon! He's happy. The water thingy is a bit up and down but he'l be fine...:sick::puke::puke::sick:
That is just a game the Captain plays to get the passengers to purchase more alcohol. Just ignore it and drink plenty of rum prior to a crossing...:woohoo:

Unit
20th April 2009, 17:11
Yep should be on the other side by now, hope he took his passport, imagine if they didnt let him into the SI :Oops:
Sounds like the 14 did a good job on the way down. Of course it did, my beasty couch :yes::scooter: (we call the 14 The Couch).
I wrote down the Ks before he left so we will know how far he went (no imbalished stories). Hmmmm, wonder if he recorded the R1 Ks before leaving, I see the key :innocent:

Str8 Jacket
20th April 2009, 17:15
Hmmmm, wonder if he recorded the R1 Ks before leaving, I see the key :innocent:

Go on, I dare you!

Unit
20th April 2009, 17:21
Go on, I dare you!Cool that gives me an excuse. Dont worry, I have already rigged my diary for this week so Im home early in the afternoons, just in case. All I need now is a little sunshine.

Str8 Jacket
20th April 2009, 18:19
Cool that gives me an excuse. Dont worry, I have already rigged my diary for this week so Im home early in the afternoons, just in case. All I need now is a little sunshine.

Just make sure you have some banana's at home for his return and go hard, enjoy it. He'll never know! ;)

DMNTD
20th April 2009, 21:45
Wooooooo hooo! They even have bourbons in the South Isle! :woohoo:

TBH...I'm just happy I bloody made it this time :pinch:

Pussy
20th April 2009, 21:56

Did you take a phrase book, Chris?
The language they talk in the South Island is very similar to what we speak in the north.... with a few exceptions

Bach is crib

Hapuku is groper

Race (as in on a farm) is a laneway

If you listen VERY carefully you should be able to understand South Island speak

Swoop
20th April 2009, 22:14
I see the key :innocent:

Go on, I dare you!
I double dare you!

If you listen VERY carefully you should be able to understand South Island speak
A nog is referred to a "dwang" for some inexplicable reason.
Remember to speak slowly down there!

jafar
20th April 2009, 22:27
Hmmmm, wonder if he recorded the R1 Ks before leaving, I see the key :innocent:

Cool that gives me an excuse. Dont worry, I have already rigged my diary for this week so Im home early in the afternoons, just in case. All I need now is a little sunshine.

You can do it . riding in the raain just adds to the thrill.
I TRIPPLE DARE YA
It's ok Chris don't know where I live :woohoo:

shafty
20th April 2009, 22:36

Asking that question at your age?

You've gotta get out more (Disbelief)

Gremlin
20th April 2009, 23:40
Now see... ya got it all wrong. You have now reached the start of your adventure. Now get on your damn bike and ride some of them south island roads! :scooter:

TimeOut
21st April 2009, 06:39

Good to here, if you make it down this farrrr there's a bed here for ya.

I'll even speak slowly forrrr ya.

We're doing the Arthurs-West coast at the end of the month

DMNTD
21st April 2009, 08:50
Asking that question at your age?

You've gotta get out more (Disbelief)

Agreed with that! Got sick of customers coming into work telling how great their Sth Is. trip was etc.

Oh well...weather's MINT, in Nelson anyway. No plans apart from going for a nose.

shafty
21st April 2009, 08:53
Agreed with that! Got sick of customers coming into work telling how great their Sth Is. trip was etc.

Oh well...weather's MINT, in Nelson anyway. No plans apart from going for a nose.

You took that well, LOL, have a ball

DMNTD
21st April 2009, 08:56
You took that well, LOL, have a ball

Hey...facts are facts eh ;)

MSTRS
21st April 2009, 10:00

As are we all, Chris, as are we all....

Stirts
21st April 2009, 10:39
The language they talk in the South Island is very similar to what we speak in the north.... with a few exceptions

Bach is crib

Hapuku is groper

Race (as in on a farm) is a laneway

And one that Chris can relate to......
Dent is dint

Pussy
21st April 2009, 12:18
And one that Chris can relate to......
Dent is dint

And if you get to Gore.... Stirts is "Stirrrrrrrrrrts"

Stirts
21st April 2009, 12:21
And if you get to Gore.... Stirts is "Stirrrrrrrrrrts"

Go do some worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk you lazy farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrker!

He will be raped if he gets to Gore....fresh meat! bet that is where he is headed

Pussy
21st April 2009, 12:30
Go do some worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk you lazy farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrker!

It's blowing like a busload of queers here.... no fargin good for my job!

Just off to HN to pick up my aeroplane.... so there!

Stirts
21st April 2009, 12:42
Just off to HN to pick up my aeroplane.... so there!

Show off :bleh:
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/04/danielsplane.jpg

Colapop
21st April 2009, 14:47
Just heard from the lad - he's fucked it up totally!! No, he hasn't fallen off *again*he's just realised that he got it wrong.... he was after the FAIRY terminal! :doh:

Mikkel
21st April 2009, 14:52
Just heard from the lad - he's fucked it up totally!! No, he hasn't fallen off *again*he's just realised that he got it wrong.... he was after the FAIRY terminal! :doh:

Well, I could shout him a shot of absinthe :D

Enough of that and it could be terminal...

Kickaha
21st April 2009, 18:02

Over the Hill to Takaka is a good ride

MyGSXF
21st April 2009, 18:11
Over the Hill to Takaka is a good ride

Hell yeah!!!! :drool:

Hey Chris.. give me a yell if ya still round Nelson... :niceone:

gijoe1313
21st April 2009, 22:07
I daresay in a week of riding, he should be able to do the SI twice! :yes:

Gremlin
22nd April 2009, 01:00
I daresay in a week of riding, he should be able to do the SI twice! :yes:
You could... he would be a cripple half way round the first time... or out of tyres...

dumpty: ride over to collingwood (past Takaka). You'll love Takaka hill. Try to keep the 14 in one piece.

Then ride down the west coast. When you get to Westport, ride north to Karamea. Yes, the straights are boring, but go all the way to Karamea (110km approx). Then go south to Haast.

Thank me when you next get online :niceone:

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
22nd April 2009, 08:07
Good to see you at Murchison - what did you think of the Lewis Pass? Someone suggested go to Karamea - I did - and you would rave about that road. Hope the rain and snow hold off for you lol.

Squid
22nd April 2009, 14:34
DMNTD- If your after somewhere to stay the night in Dunedin or just to stop off for a cuppa let me know. Pretty sure I can find a gap in my busy uni timetable ;)

Will be good to see a fellow N-islander, wont need my phrase book :woohoo:

DMNTD
22nd April 2009, 19:25
"Akaroa GP FTW!!!!!!"

Kickaha
22nd April 2009, 19:27
"Akaroa GP FTW!!!!!!"

Do it mid morning on a weekend and see if you still think it's that good:laugh:

DMNTD
25th April 2009, 18:34
Wooooo hoo! I didn't even bin! :eek: :laugh:
A huge thanks to those that gave me a bed and helped with directions and generally tolerated my cheeky arse.

kiwifruit
25th April 2009, 18:36
"Akaroa GP FTW!!!!!!"

Yeah its a really nice bit of road hey! Lots of nice, well surfaced roads around chch

DMNTD
25th April 2009, 18:38
Lots of nice, well surfaced roads...

That was the best part...YUMMY!

jafar
25th April 2009, 19:11
Wooooo hoo! I didn't even bin! :eek: :laugh:
A huge thanks to those that gave me a bed and helped with directions and generally tolerated my cheeky arse.

Do we take it from this that unit didn't crash the R1 & knew where to put the keys when she had finished ? :jerry:

Gremlin
26th April 2009, 00:50
Lets see...

Bourbon stops: check
Ride Akaroa: check

Ride West coast: nope
Karamea/Haast: nope
Takaka Hill: nope

Ride just about any great road in the South Island: nope... he did do Nelson>Murchison>Lewis Pass>Chch. Then rode the East Coast north :shit:

You sir, have let the North Island down. :mellow:

Mikkel
26th April 2009, 01:11
Lets see...

Ride just about any great road in the South Island: nope... he did do Nelson>Murchison>Lewis Pass>Chch. Then rode the East Coast north :shit:

I think he just might be back. And unlike some other people - not to mention any names - at least he issued a warning before he came down here.

Good to know you're back hom win one piece mate.

gijoe1313
26th April 2009, 23:09
Ah well, testing the water so to speak - maybe we can have him tag along when we ride down again ... :whistle:

All good there, glad to see you have finally got over there and seeing what all those other buggers have been yammering on about ...

The South Island sucks doesn't it? :oi-grr: (I know, I know, they said we had to keep reinforcing that point :innocent:)

Gremlin
27th April 2009, 01:24
And unlike some other people - not to mention any names - at least he issued a warning before he came down here.
We sorta did that... what, a couple of days or something. Any more, and people would have had time to refuse my SI passport :innocent:

The South Island sucks doesn't it? :oi-grr: (I know, I know, they said we had to keep reinforcing that point :innocent:)
Indeed sir, so terrible, natives hostile, roads worse than SH22, why would you go down... leave it to them :yes:

LBD
27th April 2009, 06:21

You sir, have let the North Island down. :mellow: And left the SI well alone....bit like the much discussed SI invasion in May

So did he actually get off the ferry and spend a night down there? After all Picton Nelson Murchison Chch Picton is just a good (big) :scooter:days ride....

DMNTD
27th April 2009, 07:01
Do we take it from this that unit didn't crash the R1 & knew where to put the keys when she had finished ? :jerry:
Hehehehe...yep the R1 is still in one piece

Lets see...

Ah well, testing the water so to speak...
:yes:

...Picton Nelson Murchison Chch Picton is just a good (big) :scooter:days ride....
Not from Tauranga it isn't. I spent 3 days and 4 nights...averaged 420kms per day and had a great time with good people I met on the way.
I did what I set out to do...have a bourbon or 568 in the Sth Island and if I had the spare time I would've seen a hell of a lot more.
Saving the 'proper' ride through the Sth Isle for when I have 2 weeks spare and shall do it with Unit

DUCATI*HARD
27th April 2009, 07:22
[B]Not from Tauranga it isn't. I spent 3 days and 4 nights...averaged 420kms per day and had a great time with good people I met on the way.
I did what I set out to do...have a bourbon or 568 in the Sth Island and if I had the spare time I would've seen a hell of a lot more.
Saving the 'proper' ride through the Sth Isle for when I have 2 weeks spare and shall do it with Unit

ONYA YA!!!:niceone:YOU GOOD BASTARD YOU:woohoo:,,,(I WANA GO TO THE SOUTH ISLAND:crybaby:)

sinfull
27th April 2009, 07:57
[
shall do it with Unit[/B]
Now that ya know the way to the Ferry terminal !
Good to shoot the shit with ya mate, on ya for stoppin in !

A_Mans_Ruin
27th April 2009, 10:51

Not like I had a choice in the matter!!!! :girlfight:

ALL HE DID WAS WHINGE ABOUT THE WEATHER!!!!!!:baby:

Haha and he got beat by a girl on superbikes 08 :lol:

LBD
27th April 2009, 15:30
Hehehehe...yep the R1 is still in one piece

:yes:

Not from Tauranga it isn't. I spent 3 days and 4 nights...averaged 420kms per day and had a great time with good people I met on the way.

Gladit wet your appitite for a real visit...lots of friendly KBers down south.

My NI invasion starts october....to the top. My breif visit in Jan wetted my appitite for more up there....

2senuff
7th November 2009, 19:50
In january if the weathers ok would like to jump on the bike and head on down to Nelson. what i would like to know is what is the chance of getting a booking if you turn up on the day,as apose to booking well invance and having crap weather.any comments on which carrier Bluebridge/Interislander
Cheers Mike

xgnr
8th November 2009, 07:59
In january if the weathers ok would like to jump on the bike and head on down to Nelson. what i would like to know is what is the chance of getting a booking if you turn up on the day,as apose to booking well invance and having crap weather.any comments on which carrier Bluebridge/Interislander
Cheers Mike

I have only missed out once by just turning up on the day but best to ring and make a booking on the day or the day before.

To be sure I usually book in advance and then you can change it by making a call almost up the 1 hour before departure (that's on a group booking code - well worth joining Ulysses or another club to get this discounted rate and service)

The above applies if there are no major events going on of course.

Cheers

Stu

Jantar
8th November 2009, 08:12
I usually book in advance for the latest crossing that I want, then turn up at an earlier crossing and try my luck. there is only once that I haven't managed to on earlier. By booking you can also get cheaper rates than just turning up.

dogsnbikes
8th November 2009, 10:09
Cheers Mike

Depends on when in January Mike.....As I work for Bluebridge I can tell you that up until about the 13/14th of January most of our sailings are rather full although we do put on extra sailings over that busy period..

but being on a bike your chances are rather high and you don't have to worry about the peak season price hike either.....

rustic101
3rd December 2009, 20:44
Depends on when in January Mike.....As I work for Bluebridge I can tell you that up until about the 13/14th of January most of our sailings are rather full although we do put on extra sailings over that busy period..

but being on a bike your chances are rather high and you don't have to worry about the peak season price hike either.....

Like a dumb ass, but do they look after your bikes during the pre sailing? I.e how do they tie them down??

Cheers

JATZ
3rd December 2009, 21:29
Like a dumb ass, but do they look after your bikes during the pre sailing? I.e how do they tie them down??

Cheers

I recomend you take your own tie downs and tie the bike down y'self, you'll know what I mean when you see the straps they supply :shit:

dogsnbikes
3rd December 2009, 21:42

Cheers
As Jatz said....the deck Crew do rounds before and during the sailing to ensure thing's are secure,and if your not sure on how to secure your bike they will assist you

I recomend you take your own tie downs and tie the bike down y'self, you'll know what I mean when you see the straps they supply :shit:
totally agree

jellywrestler
3rd December 2009, 21:46
why dont you just bend over and let every one shove one up ya?
We pay good money to travel on the ferry, way more per square foot than a car does and in that I expect to have decent tiedowns provided. Stand your ground and they will find some. otherwise take your own and let them get covered in cowshit and then put them in your bag and enjoy

MaxB
3rd December 2009, 22:03

Cheers

There are a few threads around KB on this but.....

Where they put you there are anchoring points in the deck and along the bulkheads. Most ratchet tie down hooks will easily fit into these.

Generally most bikers like to secure their own bikes. One tie down for the front over the bars or steering head and one over the tail with the bike on the sidestand. Each bike is different so have a play and see what works without scratching the paintwork or breaking something. I use a Ziplock bag to keep the tie downs in case they get covered in shit.

If you ask, the ferry staff will help you or you could ask fellow bikers because it is in their interest not to have your bike falling onto theirs.

Gremlin
6th December 2009, 01:55
why dont you just bend over and let every one shove one up ya?
We pay good money to travel on the ferry, way more per square foot than a car does and in that I expect to have decent tiedowns provided. Stand your ground and they will find some. otherwise take your own and let them get covered in cowshit and then put them in your bag and enjoy
pah, no-one ties up my bike except myself, and I wouldn't trust some crappy ties they have (some are very crappy).

I tie it myself, with my own tie downs because I care for my bike.

CookMySock
31st December 2009, 19:23
Whats the theory and practice of loading a bike on the ferry without a rider?

TIA,
Steve

BMWST?
31st December 2009, 19:26
i dont think they will allow it.

CookMySock
31st December 2009, 20:01
Ok. I guess I could call them up and ask. Looks like I have to get it freighted, or go over and get it.

Steve

DJSin
31st December 2009, 20:03
Bluebridge does it I think

CookMySock
31st December 2009, 20:09
Bluebridge does it I thinkok ta. Do you know if they have to be rideable? Like, can I push it on and off? Hehe, I don't half want everything do I.. :sunny:

DJSin
31st December 2009, 20:12
Not sure, my BF dropped a bike off at the office which was then placed on the ferry and picked up by it's new owner at the other end

CookMySock
31st December 2009, 20:19
Not sure, my BF dropped a bike off at the office which was then placed on the ferry and picked up by it's new owner at the other endCool. Thats what I'm hoping to do.

Thanks! :sunny:

Steve

grusomhat
31st December 2009, 21:11
Cool. Thats what I'm hoping to do.

Thanks! :sunny:

Steve

It's a fair ramp up on the bluebridge. I wouldn't like to be pushing it.

oldrider
31st December 2009, 23:24
They usually charge the equivalent of one passenger fair for a bike, don't they? :confused:

muzz
1st January 2010, 00:06
I used to work on the ferry (Interislander) you can pay for bike crossing and then pay tug ops fee. tug ops will put it on.
I would use bluebridge they are a lot more accommodating and cheaper.

grusomhat : thats interislander. Ive walked that ramp a few times LOL.
And your right nobody gonna push it up that ramp.:no:

CookMySock
1st January 2010, 04:54
I would use bluebridge they are a lot more accommodating and cheaper.

grusomhat : thats interislander. Ive walked that ramp a few times LOL.
And your right nobody gonna push it up that ramp.:no:interislander has a steep ramp? Bluebridge? Both?

The bike in question has a brake fault. Ok ok, so it has no brakes at all.. :Pokey: I might have to get it looked at beforehand.

Steve

Taz
1st January 2010, 05:13
Motorcycle movers will pick it up and deliver it to your door. Couldn't be easier.

CookMySock
1st January 2010, 05:23
Motorcycle movers will pick it up and deliver it to your door. Couldn't be easier.Not for five hundred bucks a pop, thanks. Probably I'll have two bikes to collect and thats a grand - I'll go trailer them back.

Steve

Duke girl
1st January 2010, 06:20
My partner sent over a Motorcross bike by Bluebridge and had no problems at all doing so. He took the bike down to the Ferry Depot (Wellington) where they did the paper work and that was it, bike shipped to Picton where they had it secured until the buyer picked it up.
Make sure someone is at the Wellington end to pick the bike up when it arrives as I dont think they have a lock up shed, you may need to check into this more.
It cost $60 1 way.
Goodluck.

CookMySock
1st January 2010, 07:38
@Duke girl, Thank you.

edit: so there is some storage available in Picton ?

Steve

crazyhorse
1st January 2010, 07:43
Well, sounds like that one is sorted. Good info to read guys :)

Mully
1st January 2010, 10:26
Steve, we're in Picton from 2nd to 6th of Jan.

Sing out if we can assist. (apart from pushing your bike up a ramp, which is probably going to be wet)

CookMySock
1st January 2010, 11:12
Steve, we're in Picton from 2nd to 6th of Jan. Sing out if we can assist.O thanks mate! :first:

(you must spread some rep around before giving it... blah blah)

Actually I have a friend down there who can trailer it to picton for me, so largely I am sorted. I'm still bidding on the thing yet, and I wonder if the price will go through the roof..

Steve

Stylo
20th June 2010, 19:51
Planning to take the Bike North in the second week of the School Hol's in early October from the South Island .......Never the best time but ..... unfortunately my 2nd half is a teacher and that's the only time we can head up to Auck. So, we're two up on the 'Busa ...so no problems with keeping up with the camper vans, but

Have'nt done the crossing for a while ....anyone tell me what's the deal with cost's and current booking requirements ?