PDA

View Full Version : Attn Mr Westie MOTU

igor
7th November 2004, 17:51
seen this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Adventure-dual-purpose/auction-17906427.htm

Motu
7th November 2004, 18:28
I couldn't believe it when I saw that,I have made up my mind to sell my XLV750,had a look in TradeMe and saw that,same day.Hope the price goes higher,I want more for mine.Ladatrouble asking a question is me.That blue model is very rare,only for Italy,there was a silver and black that is rarer,was for Asia I think.I know another guy in Helensville with one,he had it in a shop getting the exhaust repaired,then saw that one ride past and thought his had been stolen! (it had been,but that's another story)

I want to clear out some of the bikes I don't use and get something I will.Gunna break my heart to sell it,but I only ride it now because it has to be....but when I do I don't want to part with it.....I've got to wait till I'm not looking,then do the dead before I notice.

6Chris6
8th November 2004, 05:46
I want to clear out some of the bikes I don't use and get something I will.

So, at last Motu your giving up and getting a sports bike right? :laugh:

750Y
8th November 2004, 08:05
i thought you woulda been all over that auction at puke the other weekend when they sold all those old trials bikes etc..

Posh Tourer :P
8th November 2004, 08:28
So, at last Motu your giving up and getting a sports bike right? :laugh:

Nah I reckon he's saving his pennies to buy a beemer..... :Punk: He's about old enough for it.....

Motu
8th November 2004, 10:22
i thought you woulda been all over that auction at puke the other weekend when they sold all those old trials bikes etc..

Nah,a mate was there with instructions from us all to get what he could,but he came back empty handed.The word had been put out earlier for those in the know and bikes offered to those intested - but the prices were too high even at mates rates...I know they wanted $3000 for the DOT trials bike,$2500 for the basket case T'Bird,a bike only half there...no,no bargins that day.

I want a more off road bike - it's 10yrs since I was doing any real off road stuff and I feel my time running out,the TT225 project is not running to plan and I doubt if it's be running in a year.The adventure bikes are too big for any serious off road work (I just want to trail ride,organised trail rides and maybe do a trail class enduro.At trials I like to ride fast around the place - the other guys say - ''hey,it's not a motocross y'know!'' But on my adventure bikes I've lost my confidence...I see a rutted hill I would normaly want to hit 'just because it's there' whether I got up or not,now I go...oooh,that looks scary and turn around,on tight going I'm paddling with both feet down like a first timer - I'm a better rider than this,but it sure doesn't look like it.

I want something no bigger than a 250,preferable street legal,KLX,XR,something early 90s,not too flash - but I want handling and brakes.I'd do a trade if anyones got something suitable - and wants the most stomping adventure bike around.

750Y
8th November 2004, 10:43
...the TT225 project is not running to plan and I doubt if it's be running in a year...
what year is it? I got offered an old yamaha tt225(I think that's what it was(red/white)) somewhere round 1976?? engine out & in peices(something wrong with the bore i think he said). any way I've been thinking about it over the weekend and will talk to him tomorrow regarding it. i think it was the 'free to a good home' comment that finally motivated me 8-).

Motu
8th November 2004, 12:36
Mine is a red/white one,1988,I think they came out 86,87,so maybe your's is that age? I'm going to need a few bits - shock linkage is shot,bent valve,might do with a piston too,throttle assembly,all sorts of little dodads.I'm a good home for unwanted bikes! (says he who is trying to clear out the junk)

750Y
8th November 2004, 16:55
i'll check & see what it is exactly, If i can get it for free & it'll be of some use to ya i'll gladly pass it on. i'll have to have a nosy on the net to see what one looks like. i'm sure this thing looked liked an older design than 86.

Kwaka-Kid
8th November 2004, 17:33
- westie brother motu! not meaning to offend at all but i heard the TT225 was an incredibly gutless dirtbike- is this not true? and if so are you boring out or is it not better to just get hte 250 and bore out or something?

Get an XR dude! and/or an XR500 at that! ;) I honestly cant wait to just be plodding about the paddock on mine, and ive finished it tonight i think, cept for exhaust mods later to come - and i cant get it to idle at all, it backfires and coughs and splutters when its off the choke on idle :S

750Y
8th November 2004, 18:13
well i just looked on the net & there is no way it is a tt225. 8-( i wish it were, but
judging by the look of it i would say early 70's something more like a dt or xt. no idea what it is exactly, i cant match it on bikepics.com but it's old & has a red frame with white tank with red decal & red seat i think. basically an old farmbike style. I will keep an eye out nonetheless in case i should happen across a real tt.

Motu
8th November 2004, 18:20
True,the TT225 is a gutless wonder - but I'd prefer to ride a slow bike hard than a powerful bike slow...the TT225 handles well,has a strong motor and a disc brake on the front,a slightly better bike than the XR200,but you pay for a frame that doesn't break with extra weight,and a smoother more rugged motor with the same penalty.I've found a 200 can keep up with a 250,the extra 5hp doesn't cover the extra 50lb in weight,specialy in tough going like a slippery hill climb,a swamp or tricky stuff under trees,well,sometimes,and depending on the rider of course,but a lot of enduros have been won with 200s over bigger bikes.I've always been taken with the KLX250 since they first came out,I'd like to go that way if I can scrape up the money for an early one,an XR250 if not,the DRs and TTs were heavier and felt like slugs to ride compared to the other two.

Motu
8th November 2004, 18:25
well i just looked on the net & there is no way it is a tt225. 8-( i wish it were, but
judging by the look of it i would say early 70's something more like a dt or xt. no idea what it is exactly, i cant match it on bikepics.com but it's old & has a red frame with white tank with red decal & red seat i think. basically an old farmbike style. I will keep an eye out nonetheless in case i should happen across a real tt.

Red frame and white tank was more an 80s Yamaha colour,but I think some early YZ's were that colour.Old DT or XT would be twin shock or the under tank monoshock,look for the triangular swing arm.Disc front brake would mark it as a TT225 too.Thanks for the thought anyway.

Motu
10th November 2004, 15:08
Choice,it went for $2651 as a possible non runner with no WoF or rego,that gives me an idea of what they are worh.