PDA

View Full Version : Kickaha Wanganui 07

Kickaha
28th December 2007, 09:41
The week before the event we were doing a bit of race prep and changing one of my handles, unlike last year I didn’t require a visit to the emergency after hours after finishing it:doctor:

4.30am Christmas day and the awesome turbocharged, intercooled, slashcut equipped transit vangina rolls up the drive, in go the bags and we’re on our way

12 hours later 3 very tired people roll into Wanganui, we check in at the hotel then go and sign in

As I got to fill in the entry forms Divvo has been renamed Septimus for the event in retaliation for me ending up as Rupert and Farquar at Nation rounds last year

We unload the outfit and fire it up, Septimus thinks the top end sounds funny and shuts it down and then plugs the dash in and fires it up again, it’s indicating no oil pressure so he shuts it down again, thinking it’s possibly a faulty sender he cracks a banjo bolt open and fires it up, there’s no oil squirting out so it gets shut down again, best guess is that’s it sheared the pin that drives the oil pump so we’re out before we even start:angry2:

We pack back up and head off to check out some other sidecars at Steve Brons, after a bit of a drool session over the latest and greatest LCR out of Europe, Septimus, Joni and I then meet up with Her_B4, Lynda Blair and co for tea:apint:

On the way back from that we’re walking down the road when someone yells out “Septimus” this resulted in Septimus jumping though a car window and biting him on the groin:eek5:

The next day me and Septimus are up early and off to the track, one of the first people I see is WT looking for a pit spot, as he hasn’t staked a spot out the day before he ends up in the cheap seats

We wander about for a bit, practice and qualifying rolls by and then the races start, I really only interested in the sidecars and real interesting it was to when a few of them get together into turn 1 and Burt and Tim roll over the top of Steve and Rat, Rat ends up with a broken arm and gets an ambulance ride and the race is restarted and Stacey and Leighton walk away with the win

We wander around some more and then head back to the motel for a few minutes when the mobile rings and Septimus lets me know Steve Bron is looking for a swinger,I was quite popular for the first time in my life with 3 people looking for a swinger, I quickly give Steve a call and check how mental he’s going to go in the race and then grab my gear and head down, the outfit I’ll be on is the #77 LCR which is straight out or Europe after winning the world championship with Tim Reeves and Pat Farrance onboard

I haven’t ever been on a sidecar around here and the only practice I’ll get is the warmup lap so for the first time in ages I’m slightly nervous but Steve has promised he’ll be gentle with me:shit:

We roll out on the warmup and I’m trying to work out where to place myself across the railway lines and through the cemetery, we line up off the back and are good to go, true to his word we’re not going hard out, across the railway I’m moving slightly to the left the right an full out for the left before Robert Holden after 3 laps I work out I don’t have to move from the right at all until the last left, the changeover for Robert Holden I’m struggling with as I’m moving just a fraction early and getting hammered into the fairing under brakes and then up the hill to the bridge where I thought the swap over would be easy it’s bumpy as fuck, I cant get my feet in the right place swapping back over after the bridge and we’re not even going that quick, we come up behind Johnny and Brett and make the pass but on lap 4 with the arms pumping up and having doubts about staying on I give Steve a tap on the back and he backs it off a fraction and we come home 6th after working our way up from 13th

I roll off the outfit in the pits and Steve asks me how it was “fucking awful” I reply, I seemed to be suffering a lack of coordination and was finding an unfamiliar outfit and track all a bit much but a couple of HTFU pills and I’m ready for the feature:sweatdrop

We go off grid 8 and still taking it easy, with only a one race gap I could have done with more recovery time, the power delivery on this thing with the GSXR1000 is a lot harsher than the Busa I’m used to we slot into 7th straight away and chase around after a couple of others I only last a 3-4 laps before I need him to slow up, lap 6 and we get close to another outfit and Steve dials it up again resulting in a near miss when I miss my footing and just about go off the back through the cemetery we come up behind them into turn 1 and go up the inside out of turn two and go after another, we catch and pass on the right hander up to the bridge and run home in 5th with our best lap just under the minute mark

An awesome opportunity to go out on some top machinery and without doing the practice and qualifying I really wasn’t up to it at full pace and a bit of cantbefuckeditis after thinking I wasn’t going to be racing didn’t help, the power comes in with a bigger bang than what I’m used to and it hooks up like you wouldn’t believe

A seriously trick bit of machinery and a big thanks to Steve for taking me out on it and also to Joni for all the helping out with organising the trip making sure I was fed and watered and putting up with two difficult guys in a transit van for 9 hours:2thumbsup

Another 12 hour trip home and the day later I’m still tired and sore and looking forward to next year

Riff Raff
28th December 2007, 09:55
Good stuff Warwick. I didn't check my phone all day so didn't get the text from Jo until afterwards that you were swinging. So sorry I didn't actually see you out on the track. Was too busy sorting out the angry Trashy!

Was awesome to catch up with you and Jo. Thanks to both of you for your help in the morning.

Riff Raff
28th December 2007, 09:56
PS Septimus must have been living up to his new name - I didn't even see him at Wanganunu - not sure whether to be disappointed or elated about that!

u4ea
28th December 2007, 09:59
aww man you guys on those machines are all nuts! An awesome write-up that we wouldnt have got if ya hadnt gone out on the thou!Well done considering that was your first cemetary cicuit and on a different rig after very little sleep:rockon:

Cajun
28th December 2007, 10:07
Bad luck Warwick

but at least you had a go on the #1 bike in world, which be a bit of a buzz

Toast
28th December 2007, 10:29
Awesome write-up! I never understood the sidecar thing until this meeting and watching one of the races. I'm even less keen to have a go now, but it's really cool to watch.

Good stuff :niceone:

enigma51
28th December 2007, 10:34
Awesome write-up! I never understood the sidecar thing until this meeting and watching one of the races. I'm even less keen to have a go now, but it's really cool to watch.

Good stuff :niceone:

Before i die i want a spin on a sidecar as a swinger it looks like fucking awesome fun

Joni
28th December 2007, 11:01
Hmm…. Such a horrible few days… it had a few real big highs, but some really low lows as well!

Highs:
- Seeing White Trash race for the first time… as he rode past me on the Dummy grid, I burst out crying… I know it was not a good day for you Jimmy. But I was damn proud! You and Riff Raff are very special people to me :hug:

- I could not believe that the bike shat itself before it even got to scrutineering… all I can say is “fuck”, so to see Kickaha out on the Bron outfit was a biggie… I was very proud of him! He did better than most would when getting onto a new chair cold. Well done!:sunny:

Lows (and there were a few of them):
- The accident in the first race… when I saw the blue and yellow chair flip, I burst into tears (again) I thought it was my mate Stu! Had no idea if any of my friends were hurt… it was a long and difficult wait. Rat is a non active KB’er… hope you are on the road to healing soon Charles!

- Seeing my friend Stacey hit the hay bails right in front of me…when he kept his head down, I knew he was hurt… so ran to the pits to arrive as he was being dropped of by a MNZ steward… he was angry enough for me to know his shoulder was secondary to what was going on in his head… so I ran off to see if Kick was good after his race!

- The trip itself was very hard… by the time we were on the Ferry back I did not know who I wanted to kill first Kick or Dave… :thud:

- Lastly… the afternoon just before we left Brett and I spoke about some stuff and made some great plans for the new year… on the way home I thought of him a lot and often and was so excited about seeing him soon… hearing he had passed away the night before has cut a lot deeper than I ever thought it would…

- I would say the 3 days were not the best for me… but catching up with a few people I really care about was great! :yes: and made a lot of it worth it! Lovely to meet some new faces as well!:niceone:

Bring on the nationals!

Kickaha
28th December 2007, 12:42
Was awesome to catch up with you and Jo. Thanks to both of you for your help in the morning.+

You're welcome, really good to catch up with you and Jimmy again

PS Septimus must have been living up to his new name - I didn't even see him at Wanganunu - not sure whether to be disappointed or elated about that!

Elated I'm sure

Bad luck Warwick
but at least you had a go on the #1 bike in world, which be a bit of a buzz

It was, and after a bit of thought over the last couple of days I can see how I could make it a lot easier for myself and we could have then gone considerably faster

Before i die i want a spin on a sidecar as a swinger it looks like fucking awesome fun

More fun than a really really fun thing :lol:

tri boy
28th December 2007, 13:44
Really sorry you guys had a shitty run at Wanga's. The chairs have always done their best to entertain there, and it was with a bit of sadness that I missed this meeting, but good to hear a few old mates still out there.
Adam and Vince, and Darryl Dowman etc. Good luck at the nats.:2thumbsup

Kickaha
28th December 2007, 13:48
Adam and Vince, and Darryl Dowman etc. Good luck at the nats.:2thumbsup

Adam and Vince were going really well, looked like they had second in the bag in the feature until they overcooked turn 1

Rashika
28th December 2007, 16:12
Awesome writeup Kick, shame the big pooed itself before ya even got there... but great to hear you got a pretty decent ride by the sound of it! :niceone:

rat
29th December 2007, 10:01
Hi Kick, Thanks for jumping into my seat. A big thrill for you.
I'm out for the season, with a steel plate and seven screws holding my lower arm together.:doh:
So I wont be seeing you down south in a couple of weeks.
Good luck to you and Dave big balls.

RAT:niceone:

Kickaha
29th December 2007, 10:08

Yeah it was but I didn't really do it justice and I'd rather not get to many rides through other peoples misfortune

I'm out for the season, with a steel plate and seven screws holding my lower arm together.:doh:

Yeah we heard it was a bad break, damn sorry to hear you're out for the season

jrandom
29th December 2007, 10:13
I'm out for the season, with a steel plate and seven screws holding my lower arm together.

I was standing on the inside of Turn 1 when you all came piling into the corner. There must have been several dozen people within a 20m radius simultaneously turning green, wincing and feeling your pain as you lay by the hay bales there.

Best of luck with healing up fast dude!

:niceone:

Nicksta
5th January 2008, 10:25
awesome stuff Warwick....
was great to see you and Joni again... and meet sepitmus!!.. i think?
well dont on stepping in... you did an awesome job hanging on out there.... i still think you guys are crazy!!
catch you all up here for the NI nat rounds :)

sidecar bob
7th January 2008, 20:24

Good luck with the healing fella, The nats just wont be the same without you pushing Pete's outfit up & down the pits.

sidecar bob
7th January 2008, 20:27
I was standing on the inside of Turn 1 when you all came piling into the corner. There must have been several dozen people within a 20m radius simultaneously turning green, wincing and feeling your pain as you lay by the hay bales there.

I must have been right opposite you, The best bit was Timmy off number 16 giving Steve Bron a bit of biffo for nailing them, i can post pics if you want.

Kickaha
7th January 2008, 20:39
The best bit was Timmy off number 16 giving Steve Bron a bit of biffo for nailing them, i can post pics if you want.

Go on then, I've been waiting to see some of that

sidecar bob
7th January 2008, 20:59
Go on then, I've been waiting to see some of that

Ive just e mailed them to Joni because im not sure how to put them up on here, post them up fella.

jrandom
7th January 2008, 22:11
I must have been right opposite you, The best bit was Timmy off number 16 giving Steve Bron a bit of biffo for nailing them, i can post pics if you want.

Yup, get 'em up, that'd be mint. Wasn't sure whether I should mention the argy bargy, didn't want to be insensitive to you poor emotionally-unstable sidecar fullas.

:sweatdrop

sidecar bob
8th January 2008, 05:53
Yup, get 'em up, that'd be mint. Wasn't sure whether I should mention the argy bargy, didn't want to be insensitive to you poor emotionally-unstable sidecar fullas.

:sweatdrop

Joni assures me via e mail that they are too low res to post.
I will txt non active KB member "Timmy Tugboat" the biff master, & see if he has originals to post up.

timmy tug boat
8th January 2008, 07:16
hey chaps and chapetos I have some pictures but am unsure of how to post them (I am lucky to make it onto this site let alone know how to put a picture on it) the more pictures I have seen of the crash the more I realise how DAM LUCKY we are to come out of it with minor injuries-Bringing out the Biff after is generally not my style but I think was almost justified after such a stupid move from SC 77 we know its a dangerous game we play but there is a huge differance between hard riding and some idiot thinking he can be second into the first corner after Q 10th place (thats how people get killed) we have had quite enough of our fellow racers passing away RIP Brett & Jack !!!
Good luck for everone down South I cannot make it but Burt the germ is going down the PIG is swinging for him

I will try to put Pics on

Riff Raff
8th January 2008, 07:22
Bwahahaha :girlfight:
Thanks for the photos Timmy tug boat.

sidecar bob
8th January 2008, 08:14
hey chaps and chapetos I have some pictures but am unsure of how to post them (I am lucky to make it onto this site let alone know how to put a picture on it) the more pictures I have seen of the crash the more I realise how DAM LUCKY we are to come out of it with minor injuries-Bringing out the Biff after is generally not my style but I think was almost justified after such a stupid move from SC 77 we know its a dangerous game we play but there is a huge differance between hard riding and some idiot thinking he can be second into the first corner after Q 10th place (thats how people get killed) we have had quite enough of our fellow racers passing away RIP Brett & Jack !!!
Good luck for everone down South I cannot make it but Burt the germ is going down the PIG is swinging for him

I will try to put Pics on

Cheers for that fella, Gotta love that last one, the feet say it all.

Joni
8th January 2008, 09:45
Good luck for everone down South I cannot make it but Burt the germ is going down the PIG is swinging for himIts a pity you cant make it down hun :eek:

Look forward to catching up at Puke then! As I wont be North for any of the other events at this stage!

:spudwave:

enigma51
8th January 2008, 09:57
+

More fun than a really really fun thing :lol:

I would not know cause i havent done it ....... yet :no:

007XX
8th January 2008, 10:31
Hmm…. Such a horrible few days… it had a few real big highs, but some really low lows as well!

!

Really sorry to hear about your loss Joni :( Hope you'll be having a better time in this coming new year.

However, it was lovely to meet you and Kichaha...Sir, big respect for your efforts! It was mighty impressive watching your work...

My heart was in my mouth when I saw the pile up...wish you all the best for the healing process.

I was on the outside of that bend, looking in from the entrance's carpark when it happened. I definitely felt physically ill seeing the sidecar turn upside down.

It was a very impressive pile up, but not one I'd like to see on a regular basis for the sake of those involved.

rat
12th January 2008, 11:16
Thanks Dude. Will catch you During the season at some stage.

scrivy
1st December 2008, 19:31

With your effort at the 2008 sidecar Have-a-go-day, I thought you were trying hard to die!!! :whistle::2thumbsup