PDA

View Full Version : Catch can clarity??

Tony.OK
28th December 2007, 15:56
Well bike is all but ready to go,just need some tips regarding catch cans.
I know I need one for the radiator overflow,then something for the fuel overflow,can they go into the same can?
I haven't taken the breather off the airbox so don't need one for that do I?
Do most ppl take the breather to the airbox off?Have done lots of trackdays and theres never been buggar all oil in the airbox.
Finally,location of catch can,can I put one where the headlights used to be?Does it not need to be lower than what is "feeding" it.
Problem with the 1000rr is the fuel overflow is on the opposite side to the radiator overflow so will have to extend hoses to get to a mountable location.
Any advice muchly appreciated:clap:

Maido
28th December 2007, 16:28
run your radiator into a separate container, when the coolant (not antifreeze!) heats up it expands, forcing the coolant into the catch tank, when it cools it draws it back into the radiator. for this reason, you only want coolant in the container.
the factory usually routes the engine breather into the air box.
check the rules in your class (http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/competitionrules.aspx) but the breather usually must still discharge into the airbox.
routing up to the front is probably the best position, there isn't much room else where on a modern bike.

Tony.OK
28th December 2007, 17:57
run your radiator into a separate container, when the coolant (not antifreeze!) heats up it expands, forcing the coolant into the catch tank, when it cools it draws it back into the radiator. for this reason, you only want coolant in the container.

So I can just keep the factory coolant tank and just block the overflow from it?

(http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/competitionrules.aspx)

Had a look there,according to that I need a one way valve for the fuel overflow?Superbike class.

There is strangely no mention whatsoever about coolant catch cans,just no glycol.

Maido
29th December 2007, 08:31
you could definately keep the factory one, i mean all it is doing is holding coolant, it is not like you can get a high compression version!! also, the factory one is usually made from the correct materials to prevent deformation and usually bolt nicely to the bike somewhere compact.

I would probably just run your fuel overflow to the front headlight part in the fairing, you should be able to get a small oneway valve from a hardware store, if not a wrecker should have one off a carburettored motorcross bike.

hope this helps