PDA

View Full Version : Race report Taupo november 7th

FROSTY
7th November 2004, 20:46
Today was a day when all I can say is It can only get better.
I must say im totally gutted . :argh:
I made some pretty stupid decisions leading up to racing -the first being to take another bike out for a ride in one of my precious practice sessions. -That cost me dearly and I lost 5 of the 8 practice laps left to me "remembering" my own bike.
Normally I get a lot faster as the day goes on and I get my head into my bike-In essence I get my "race face" on
I got a holeshot start in the first race but it fairly quickly turned to custard as the race wore on. Lap after lap I just couldn't get my head around the track and seemed to get slower instead of faster as the day went on.
For the first time ever I managed to finish dead last in a race.
There were a number of factors in play
A track where a good start is essential.and my starts on mella yella are certainly a weak point for me.
A bike that decided to drop its performance by 10-25% between the forst and second race.
A total lack of committment to racing on my part. actually letting guys go past rather than fighting them off.
The highlight of the day for me was the open track session after the actual racing.
I felt like I was getting dialed into the bike by the end of that session.
I posted a personal best time in race 2 of 48.35 but thats far from the bikes potential.
But HEY it can only get better
A high point was the support and encouragement from other KB members
RIB,scroter< SVS, That guy,zx6r and curious George.
I must say sorry to those I Told to -Um er Go away I really needed to try to get my head in the right place.

James Deuce
7th November 2004, 20:48
At least you're out there doing it.

Running last would be OK for me buddy!

Don't you stop now, you hear??

Motu
7th November 2004, 21:25
Sounds like me at my trial today - I DNFd.I may as well of not gone - I wouldn't be feeling so stuffed now and have to fix my bent bike.Some days you should stay at home - but you gotta try,it could have been your best day yet,at least we were out there eh?

FROSTY
7th November 2004, 21:27
yea guys --hey Id still rather finish last than not be there at all
Im just pissed orf at myself.

James Deuce
7th November 2004, 21:27
Sounds like me at my trial today - I DNFd.I may as well of not gone - I wouldn't be feeling so stuffed now and have to fix my bent bike.Some days you should stay at home - but you gotta try,it could have been your best day yet,at least we were out there eh?

This'll cheer you up Motu - I waved like an absolute waving idiot at a dude on an Africa Twin. While hanging off and going for it too. He looked a bit startled, but I pretended he was you by proxy, so you got at least one wave from a sports bike.

Actually that probably doesn't help.

Better luck next trial.

svs
8th November 2004, 07:54
At least it was a nice day .....

I faired a little better than frosty, but still not such a good day. 1st race I think I came in around 9th of the feild of 26. Second race was going pretty well, getting lap times into the low 46's and getting better when a f***kin 125 clipped the front me through the sweeper. Didn't crash, but came away with 1/2 a brake lever and lost a few places. The last 2 laps didn't go so well, and exiting the sweeper - last corner of the last lap - I ran wide onto the grass, into the gravel, but kept the throttle on and managed to get back onto track for the finish line (just). That time finished around 15th.
Last race wasn't too hot either. Didn't get into the flow of things after the incidents in the second race, but at least I didn't bin it. ThatGuy put up a good show on the RGV, getting back past me after I passed him at the hairpin.

Finally got home late last night and the most positive note was - at least I didn't bin it.

curious george
8th November 2004, 10:54
Sorry to hear you had a bad day Frosty, mine was farking AWESOME!!!!
Not to rub it in at all, but overtaking you and that other guy on the 400 was just christmas!!!!!
I had a fantastic day. I felt bulletproof and like I could walk on water - despite finishing near last, I'm feeling much better about riding.
You are right, a fast start would make all the difference. Looks like we need to go to the traffic light GP and do some practice.
Beautiful day though, and a fantastic track!!!!!
Where were all you other fullas!?!! Yuo missed a beauty.
Good to meet you SVS, but perhaps you need a dirt bike after that 'detour' you took? :not:
For those who missed it, Taupo is an excellent track, and well worth the extra 6hrs driving from Auckland.
Good to meet Rider in Black, and hello to Karen again.

Ms Piggy
8th November 2004, 10:58
But HEY it can only get better
Exactly!!

Sorry I didn't make it, I actually forgot until my gal pal & I were on our way into Rotorua. She was keen too. Next time!

FROSTY
8th November 2004, 11:58
[QUOTE=curious george]Sorry to hear you had a bad day Frosty, mine was farking AWESOME!!!!
Not to rub it in at all, but overtaking you and that other guy on the 400 was just christmas!!!!!
Mate dont sweat it --I had a crap day--its behind me gorn -finished. :banana:
IT was bloody good to see ya out there and you have certainly learned a lot in a short time.
I was impressed by both of you guys actually Exceptional riding for a couple of newbees.

That Guy
8th November 2004, 12:06
Hey Frosty good to meet you - looking forward to the next race. You may have had a crap day but at least you didn't bin it trying to get yourself up to race pace!

Hoon
8th November 2004, 13:18
Where were all you other fullas!?!! Yuo missed a beauty.
For those who missed it, Taupo is an excellent track, and well worth the extra 6hrs driving from Auckland.

Yep after visiting Taupo you suddenly realise how much Pukekohe is lacking. I really like Taupo and wish I was better at it (Fred Merkel will be fixing that for me next week!!!). I'll def be there Dec 12th though and maybe even the one off race on Dec 27th as well!

That Guy
8th November 2004, 13:26
Yep after visiting Taupo you suddenly realise how much Pukekohe is lacking. I really like Taupo and wish I was better at it (Fred Merkel will be fixing that for me next week!!!). I'll def be there Dec 12th though and maybe even the one off race on Dec 27th as well!

Yeah even though it's half the length I reckon it heaps more fun especially for F3 (or 150s Two smoker - you'd love it on your 150!) - probably a bit tight for the F1 and F2 guys. A nice (safer) change from Pukekohe.

I'll be at the next race and would love to come to your Merkel day too I just can't spare the :sly:time or the $ unfortunatley. Perhaps next time.

Sparky Bills
8th November 2004, 13:45
Hey Guys,
I was at the longtrack racing all weekend.
Plus the Vic clubday at manfeild wasnt the best for me...
I broke a valve guide on the Duc! I will be at the next race on 12th Dec, and most probably 27th. Might even have a new toy for you all to drowl on!
See you all there!
:apint: :kick:

scroter
8th November 2004, 13:46
good day in all. i was mostly hanging out with tony rees crew as i came down with them and you know thats such a cool bike etc.....

steveZX6R, RIB, and me all participated in the have a go sessions. it was bloody good and apart from the honda who pulled in early (must have seen me catching him) i passed everyone but steveZX6R and he passed everyone but me. we seem to be pretty much on the same pace. i dont no what times we were doin but i saw svs bike out there but i dont know if it was him on it.
anyway that was just practice for tommorow when we go back for the HRC day. Looking forward to it. hope the weather holds out.

FROSTY
8th November 2004, 15:45
Yea scroter. was good to be outh there circulating with ya.
Wish in that fun session I had a bit more hP

Two Smoker
8th November 2004, 16:15
Sorry i didnt make it guys, the ZXR isnt ready, and i need the $$$ for the GSX-R600 :( But i will try my hardest to be there for the 12th of December....

I really need to go to a track day at taupo before then.... can someone organise one????

Cheers...

Kwaka-Kid
8th November 2004, 17:25
shit svs 46's sure aint slow mate!

top effort on that time dude, i take it you had someone timing for you, excellent - i had to wait for an AMCC round there.

dont know if funds will allow a race there on the 12th but definatly put 27th or 28th whatever in my book for a raceday! :D

sAsLEX
8th November 2004, 17:28
I really need to go to a track day at taupo before then.... can someone organise one????

Cheers...
this week end there is a chance to get on the track!

babyB
9th November 2004, 00:18
what an interesting weekend. i was destaned not to ride from the time tryed to leave aucks on friday. well what can i say ,the weather was grand .but things just didnt go well. started with an injured knee but wasnt ganna let that stop me,(though i think it would hav).I managed a very slow race be for my bike said bugga enough! & wouldent start. but hay thats racing & theres the 12th dec commin up & i gonna b there with bells on. KBs good to catch/meet up with you

I would like to thank all those people that tryed to get my bike going, your help and support was really appreciated thank you so much.

Very special thanks to Tony and Doug for taking my bike there & back, for helping me out & your support. for putting up with lisa & i ,& providing wonderful entertainment. iThank you both very much

photoes to come upload probs

svs
9th November 2004, 08:03
i take it you had someone timing for you, excellent - i had to wait for an AMCC round there.

yep. the missus was there - that's why I only said 46's as they were manual times using the stopwatch on my mobile. I would be good to get there when they are using the transponders. Wonder why PMCC don't use them - it would make there life much easier.

One of the F3 guys near the front was doing consistant 44's, I reckon I should be able to get into the 45's without too much difficulty.

ajturbo
9th November 2004, 10:48
this week end there is a chance to get on the track!
what times are we looking at.. ie start time etc..
andy

FROSTY
9th November 2004, 21:53
Well I wasn't imagining things.I thought I was going nuts. Mella yella had pulled 2 inlet manifolds loose and was sucking gobs of air instead of fuel.
No question i was riding badly but no way a rg150 should have been able to keep up with me in a straight line. -eeep