PDA

View Full Version : newbie :P

Jihad
29th October 2002, 10:48
Hey all i am currently in the process of getting my bike licence :p and im in the market for a new bike, was thinking of a 250 road bike to get myself some experiance on something small, i popped down to the local bike shop and spotted a honda cb250r, that seemed quite cool but as a noob i dunno if it would be good :) i have a budget of about 4k and id need to buy a helmet and jackect aswell (could hp em if need be) any suggestions :confused:

:done:

SpankMe
29th October 2002, 11:44
Best not to spend too much on ya first bike since you are not going to keep it that long. Also you are very likely to have at least one crash on it. For that money you might get a late 80’s or early 90’s Honda VTR250.

My first bike was a CB250rs, a Honda single.

I didn’t keep that very long. Mainly because I got my old man to use his licence when I brought a Honda CBR600fh while I was still on my learners licence. Come to think of it, I didn't even have a licence when I got the CB250rs. :D

Nukles
29th October 2002, 14:25
here are my thoughts...

do not get a nice bike, just a functional one and make sure that you keep it for a year at least. you will fall with it, we all do.

do not put any gear on HP. remember these words of wizdom, you'll only beat yourself up if you do.

as for a helmet, from 350 to 450 you get something average. but if you want something a little better i have three helmets for sale at half the price right now. and quite a few more things if you are interested.

a CBR250 could be good if you plan on riding sport bikes in the future. make sure you get a good one. these things are like WRXs only 2 out of 10 are in good condition. ;)

and BARGAIN ALOT ! :D you are entitled to it. :bigthumb:

Jihad
29th October 2002, 21:10
swt cheers guys :P

i was gunna hp my gear to be able to afford the bike :D

my local bike shop (motorcycle city, lower hutt) has a helmet (sorry cant remember what name, but it was forgien and started with a 'c') for 200$, what other things do you have for sale???

i was a bit sketchy about buying a nice shiny new bike from a yard and flying straight into a wall cause i cant ride it properly in less than 2 hours :brick: but it seems ill have to swallow my pride and get myself the equvilent of a 1976 austin alegro and work my way from there :eek5:

thx for info :bigthumb:

slmcknight
30th October 2002, 02:15
I have a dumb question? When you guys are talking about getting a 250 bike, you are talking about engine size, right? Like, less than half of a CBR600, one-quarter of a Kawi 1000?

Wow, this is amazing. Everybody I talk to says to start small on a used 600, for all the same reasons that you guys talk about here. A 600 is immensely more powerful than a 250, but the discussion here is so much more reasonable.

I gotta share this site/thread with my friends to show that there is still some reasonable people in the world.

wari
30th October 2002, 08:04
When we talk about 250 its in CC's .

But dont go thinking Kiwi's are more responsible in recommending a 250 to start on... we just appear that way, coz learners here aren't allowed (by law) to ride a bigger capacity bike.

I need someone to :beer:

onearmedbandit
30th October 2002, 17:23
Yeah, the law is one reason. But, I have always said a 250 bike is the ideal learners machine. However in saying that, I wouldn't recomend an RGV or similar as a first bike. Sheit, I've ridden basically every capacity bike , and this thing out of corners is simply amazing. 1st and 2nd need to be treated with respect. A CBR, GSXR, ZXR etc would make an ideal starter (in 250 that is) for someone hoping to go to a larger capacity sportsbike. JMO.

Jihad
30th October 2002, 20:53
i dont think i couse hold up a 600 :eek5:

SPman
30th October 2002, 20:58
True. A lady freind started off on an FZR250 and it was ideal. Not a lot of power under 10000 rpm , so you can get used to it,particularly in built up areas,but went really well when you got to 12-13000 and up.
I really enjoyed it as well. You could pretend you were at the IOM without doing ridiculous speeds (on the straight bits - the 250s are really good on the corners once you get the hang of them)
Yeah - 250 4 strokes - real good learners bikes!
:done:

toads
23rd April 2004, 09:08
Hi Justin, I recommend test riding anything thoroughly before deciding on whether it's what you want, and take your time, no matter what you buy it's easy to get pressured into making a descision you later regret, a 250 is probably a better longer term option than something smaller, as depending on your age you may legally have to have it for 18 months before you can get your full bike licence and then progress to something bigger, I know something that feels underpowered is very frustrating to be stuck with, on the other hand something too quick initially and you might feel out of your depth, this forum is an excellent place to find out info about reliability, fuel economy and safety aspects of different bikes, an informed decision is the best type. :D

Ms Piggy
23rd April 2004, 11:41
Hey Jihad,
Welcome to the wonderful world of 2 wheels! I've only been riding a short time too so all the above advice is from peeps far more experinced than moi. However...

My peice of advice would be definitely don't skimp on the gear. Make sure you get good gloves, a good helmet & a jacket & pants. I got myself an HJC brand helmet - which was about $350- and seems really good. I know it can be a big outlay at the beginning but it's worth it, I mean lets' face it...all that stands between you and the road is the what you're wearing! :crazy:

Have fun and let us know what kinda bike you end up with. :Punk:

Ghost Lemur
23rd April 2004, 12:41
You guys do realise that this thread is 18 months old? :laugh:

Ms Piggy
23rd April 2004, 12:55
You guys do realise that this thread is 18 months old? :laugh:

:laugh: :Oops: OMG! No I didn't!! Arrrghhhh...another blonde moment!!

KATWYN
23rd April 2004, 14:22
I have to admit that was really funny :laugh:

Easy to get caught out. On that thread of Motus
I think it is headed "Motu in accident" I initially thort oh no
he's been involved in another one!...but clicked it
was an old thread - re posted :blah:

Shawn
23rd April 2004, 14:35
So what happened to Jihad, how is he doing after 18 months? is he still on 250??...

madandy
23rd April 2004, 16:31
Jeez I was really enjoying that thread until I looked at the dates! :shit:

Good spotting ghost lemur! LOL