PDA

View Full Version : 13-year-old girl killed by trail bike (1 January)

Steam
1st January 2008, 10:08
"A 13-year-old girl hit by a trail bike on a Northland beach is the latest person to die on New Zealand roads this holiday period.

Inspector Carey Griffiths said the girl and a friend, whose age and sex were not known, were hit by the bike on the beach at Kaipara, 100km north-west of Auckland, about 9.30pm."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10485012

Patar
1st January 2008, 11:58
"a Northland beach is the latest person to die on New Zealand roads"

It's a horrible tradgedy that shouldn't have happened, but I don't get how it can add to the road toll:confused:

Firefight
1st January 2008, 12:06
some beachs are classed as public highways.

F/F

mowgli
1st January 2008, 18:22
It even broader than that. Private property excluded, anywhere that the public can legally drive is considered a road and the road code applies. Beaches are classed as roads.

one-speed
1st January 2008, 18:24
crap that suxs
r.i.p

spudchucka
2nd January 2008, 06:20
From the Land Transport Act interpretation section.

Road includes—

(a)A street; and

(b)A motorway; and

(c)A beach; and

(d)A place to which the public have access, whether as of right or not; and

(e)All bridges, culverts, ferries, and fords forming part of a road or street or motorway, or a place referred to in paragraph (d):

(f)All sites at which vehicles may be weighed for the purposes of this Act or any other enactment:

Zukin
2nd January 2008, 06:35
Just read about this
A Terrible and avoidable tragedy :no:
The young fella had been warned, but like most of us when we were that age, he didn't listen :rolleyes:

A bit of fun for all involved (inc the rider), soon turned to tragedy for the whole community

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10485012

chanceyy
2nd January 2008, 06:54
what an absolute tragedy .. One that should never have happened ..

RIP Daisy

something the 15 yr old will now have to live with for the rest of his life ...

Nasty
2nd January 2008, 07:04
RIP girl .. what an absolute tragedy and waste of life ....

Consolances to friends and family ... may you go in peace.

PrincessBandit
2nd January 2008, 08:02
...something the 15 yr old will now have to live with for the rest of his life ...

Just read the Herald article about it this morning. Absolutely shocking. But as others have pointed out, how many of us can look back on stupid things we've done as youngsters (and maybe even not so young) and say "there but for the grace of God...." It's just a gut wrenching tragedy that in this case yet another innocent victim has paid the ultimate price for the reckless selfish actions of someone unable to curb their ego/hormones/whatever. I just hope he does truly comprehend the end result of his actions because, sadly, there are some out there who don't seem capable of it.
The headline (no doubt screaming 'sensationalism') read something like "beach showoff leaves girl dead". Please please please let this be a reminder, right at the start of the new year, that we are responsible for our actions. We can only get away with stupidity/showing off/"pushing our limits" so many times before it kicks us in the teeth and we or someone else pays dearly for it. It's bad enough if it's just ourselves that pay, although our families and friends still suffer with us; but when we involve others then that's just criminal. My blood boiled when I read that the case had gone to Youth Aid; ha bloody ha ha. That poor girl, her family and her friends had better get better justice than that.

jrandom
2nd January 2008, 08:18
I've done a lot of 4WDing and quad riding on that beach, and yup, around Xmas/NY it's packed with families camping.

The appropriate outcome is straightforward; the kid who hit them should be charged with driving causing death.

EZAS
2nd January 2008, 09:39
A very upsetting read.

RIP

crashe
2nd January 2008, 20:15
My condolances to Scorpygirl and all her family in Tauranga for their loss.

Rest in Peace Daisy.

Ixion
2nd January 2008, 20:16
I've done a lot of 4WDing and quad riding on that beach, and yup, around Xmas/NY it's packed with families camping.

The appropriate outcome is straightforward; the kid who hit them should be charged with driving causing death.

I imagine he will be. I wonder if he had any sort of licence ?

merv
2nd January 2008, 20:39
People like him will get bikes banned from all beaches and then we'll all suffer because he was a dickhead.

It is a tragedy for the girl and her family which they did not deserve - RIP Daisy.

merv
3rd January 2008, 11:09
I see we've got another thread going on this now here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64156

Which includes this link.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10485084

How soon before bans are in place then do you reckon?

sAsLEX
3rd January 2008, 11:59
How soon before bans are in place then do you reckon?

Remember when the Asians killed themselves on Murawai flipping their 4x4?

They tried to ban them then but it didn't stick.

Pathos
4th January 2008, 19:47
very sad tragedy

should any vehicles be on popular beaches after dark ? It is primarily for human use not a road and with the terrain it could be impossible to see someone lying in the sand.

not that theres any point - no one would enforce it.

Motu
4th January 2008, 20:07

Remember when those idiots were riding their trail bikes over all of Auckland's volcanic cones,making jumps out of kumara pits and fortification terraces,being a nuisance and danger to the public? You don't? That's good....better we forget your elders were just as selfish.

merv
4th January 2008, 20:09
Who saw the article on TV ONE last night about the bikers ripping up Macetown in the South Island?

jrandom
4th January 2008, 20:26

You can't ban stupidity. Apparently they turned up onto the soft sand above the high water mark at over 100kph while running road tyre pressures and not wearing seatbelts.

jrandom
4th January 2008, 20:28
should any vehicles be on popular beaches after dark ?

Nothing wrong with a 4WD proceeding along a beach in the dark with full lighting.

I mean, what else are you gonna do when you're camping on the Pouto peninsula, it's 9:30pm, and you realise you've run out of Speights and Jamesons and have to make a run back to Dargaville before the bottle shop closes?

:p

HTFU
4th January 2008, 20:38
Nothing wrong with a 4WD proceeding along a beach in the dark with full lighting.

I mean, what else are you gonna do when you're camping on the Pouto peninsula, it's 9:30pm, and you realise you've run out of Speights and Jamesons and have to make a run back to Dargaville before the bottle shop closes?

Yeah it is a surreal sort of feeling, one minute hanging out on the remote and rugged west coast beach and within half an hour or so you can be in the local and snivilization getting supplies for another days fishing and keeping it merry.

sAsLEX
4th January 2008, 21:11

Pull out the meths for the camp stove, some stale bread and make yourself some Hobo moonshine!

Grahameeboy
4th January 2008, 21:17
I imagine he will be. I wonder if he had any sort of licence ?

Is the licence issue important??

pete376403
5th January 2008, 01:07

They tried to ban them then but it didn't stick.

What did they try and ban - 4x4s or Asians?

trump-lady
5th January 2008, 01:13
What did they try and ban - 4x4s or Asians?

silly....but had a giggle

paturoa
11th May 2008, 07:55
At last some sense enters this tragedy.

Police have confirmed their plans to charge a 15-year-old motorcyclist over the death of a teenage girl on a Northland beach.

The youth collided with two 13-year-olds on Ripiro Beach, near Dargaville on New Year's Eve, leaving Daisy Fernandez dead and Claudia Billinge seriously injured.

He will meet the families of both girls at a Child Youth and Family conference.

Regardless of the outcome, Dargaville Sergeant Jonathan Tier said the rider is likely to appear before the Youth Court on charges of dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing injury.

"We have an intention to charge," Tier told the Herald on Sunday yesterday.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10509378