PDA

View Full Version : Avoid VTNZ Takanini for Licenses

Fub@r
1st January 2008, 10:13
On the last day of work last year I rode to VTNZ Takanini so my mate could use my bike to sit his 6F test. We booked a 7am test slot with a 6.30am reporting time so he could do it before work.

We both got to the VTNZ station at 6.30am, place was all locked up and no one around. So we waited, and waited and waited. At 6.55am the testing guy arrives, yet I had notcied this guy had driven past at 6.35am and would've seen us waiting there.

Anyway my mate heads out and does his test. Test was completed by 7.15. Testing guy fills out the temporary license and gives it to my mate and says see you later.

I stopped the guy and said hangon what about the eye test and new photo etc? Guy said oh they just use your old photo etc and bye!

Anyway just rung my mate today to wish him a happy New Year and then he starts telling me about the hassles he is having with his license.

The day of the test the VTNZ rung him and said his temporary license was invalid as he had not done the photo or eye test!!!! Mate wasn't impressed so had to take time off work that day to go back there.

He went back and argued with them and they finally did his eye test and photo. They basically made it out that it was his fault etc and if he had had of been pulled over he would have been unlicensed for his 750 that he owns andwould've gotten a ticket etc as he had failed to complete all the paperwork!!! Damn cheek

So all sorted..........but apparently not they rung him between Xmas and New Year to tell him he has to come back ASAP as the photo is no good etc and if he doesn't do it soon his temporary license will expire before he gets his new one and could get fined if pulled over!

So word of warning it might pay to avoid this place as they sound rather incompetent. Have told my mate to make a formal complaint but not sure he will

Luckylegs
1st January 2008, 10:20
All three times I booked (for L, R and F) I took the eye test and photo at the time I went in to complete the application, pay and book a date. Im surprised youre mate was able to rock on up for a practical without having gone through this process ???

...Or did I miss something ?

Steam
1st January 2008, 10:23
They can use your old photo, I know because the Westgate branch in Lower Hutt specifically said it was allowed and they did it for me when I couldn't come in because I was overseas.

Don't know about the eye test though.

Fub@r
1st January 2008, 10:37
All three times I booked (for L, R and F) I took the eye test and photo at the time I went in to complete the application, pay and book a date. Im surprised youre mate was able to rock on up for a practical without having gone through this process ???

...Or did I miss something ?

Booking was done online

All of my tests were with online bookings and eye sight and photo was done when I reported for the practical test on the day. That was why I asked this guy the question as to why there was no eye sight test etc once he gave my mate his temporary license as it didn't seem right to me

Luckylegs
1st January 2008, 10:49
Booking was done online

All of my tests were with online bookings and eye sight and photo was done when I reported for the practical test on the day. That was why I asked this guy the question as to why there was no eye sight test etc once he gave my mate his temporary license as it didn't seem right to me

Aha, rightyo... Sorry, knew there was probably a good reason. Wondering why Mr Dumbass (Me) didnt do it that way though...

xwhatsit
1st January 2008, 11:19
Sounds the usual story, then, with old employees being confused by the introduction of new technology. This chap might not have come across this online booking system before (and hasn't had to worry about eye tests and photos as part of his job).

I must admit they seemed a bit hopeless when I did mine as well. Running quite late, people running around trying to find a pen that worked :lol:

mxracer_nz
1st January 2008, 11:51
ive got al my full car and bike licenses from takanini with no problems

oscarnz
1st January 2008, 13:27
When booking online if your friend read the confirmation of the booking, it states that you need to go to a LTNZ Driving Licensing Agent to complete your application before your test.

This can be done at any agent, and can be anyday leading up to the test, especially as the agent isnt always open when the test are scheduled.

For your application, you must take with you, your licence, evidence of your address, they will test your eyesight and take a new photo and signature.

With every new class you do, you must have your eyesight tested, and a new photo/sign taken.

This is not the testing officers fault, he would have printed off the list of bookings the day before, hence not knowing if you had been after that and completed your application.

Yes he should have been informed by the testing officer, that he needed to complete this after the test.

Rant over

PrincessBandit
1st January 2008, 14:24
I sat my R there and they were good, only complaint I had was the 2 week delay i.e. had to book 2 weeks in advance. Did my full through the AA at Manukau and there was no delay at all. (Just all their helmet intercoms were broken :rolleyes: and i was really looking forward to seeing what it was like to use them!).

MonzaLapRecord
1st January 2008, 17:13
I think you can only use your old photo if it was taken less than 3 months from the date of your booking. Something like that anyway, i wasn't able to use my learners photo for my restricted because it was too old.

gijoe1313
1st January 2008, 19:07
Wow I've never had a prob and always had great service from them! I even had the same tester for my R and 6F licence test! :rofl:

I guess he must be like zeocen in regards to the biker gods playing games with mere mortals! :innocent:

Well ,lets hope its all sorted and he gets everything due him! But sheesh 6.30 for a test? :pinch:

oscarnz
1st January 2008, 19:21
I think you can only use your old photo if it was taken less than 3 months from the date of your booking. Something like that anyway, i wasn't able to use my learners photo for my restricted because it was too old.

Not at all, you must have a new photo taken.

McJim
1st January 2008, 19:27
When you book online you are supposed to turn up early to do your eye test/submit optometrists cert. and have your photo taken. HOWEVER if the test is early in the morning when the office is shut you are required to attend the last working day BEFORE your test to have them done. Having your eye tests and photos is not the responsibility of the practical examiner. VTNZ have not been derelict - your friend needs to read the all the writing on the website.

I fell foul of this for my restricted - this is how I found out.

boomer
1st January 2008, 19:33
Aha, rightyo... Sorry, knew there was probably a good reason. Wondering why Mr Dumbass (Me) didnt do it that way though...

probably cos you just raised ya eyebrows and smiled at him.:girlfight:

Luckylegs
1st January 2008, 20:40
probably cos you just raised ya eyebrows and smiled at him.:girlfight:

...If you must know it was more of a 'simper' :o