PDA

View Full Version : Morphene

Devil
9th November 2004, 09:08
So who here has had it (for whatever reason) and what was your opinion of it?

Nov/Dec'ish last year my appendix decided it wanted to fold itself inside out so of course that had to go. Was a bit sore in the morning, went to the doctor in the afternoon, then straight to hospital and had it out that night.

When I arrived at the hospital, was processed pretty quick because my doctor had pre-arranged everything, so I got a bed in the emergency area pretty quick, Then I was asked if I would like any pain relief, I said sure. By this time my parents had showed up. After about 4 different stab wounds, they finally found a vein, so got some fluids, then woooo they trundled up with the morphene. First was a shot of maxilon(sp?) for anti-nausea, then it was party time. My god, it took about 2 seconds to feel the morphene kick in, and that felt so wrong feeling like im high as a kite...with my parents right next to me. wrong wrong wrong.
Although I felt totally out of my tree, like my body was floating, I didnt enjoy it much, it felt quite awkward. I probably wouldnt have it again if I had the choice...

Well enough blabbing. Start talking people!

Blakamin
9th November 2004, 09:23

Nov/Dec'ish last year my appendix decided it wanted to fold itself inside out so of course that had to go. Was a bit sore in the morning, went to the doctor in the afternoon, then straight to hospital and had it out that night.

When I arrived at the hospital, was processed pretty quick because my doctor had pre-arranged everything, so I got a bed in the emergency area pretty quick, Then I was asked if I would like any pain relief, I said sure. By this time my parents had showed up. After about 4 different stab wounds, they finally found a vein, so got some fluids, then woooo they trundled up with the morphene. First was a shot of maxilon(sp?) for anti-nausea, then it was party time. My god, it took about 2 seconds to feel the morphene kick in, and that felt so wrong feeling like im high as a kite...with my parents right next to me. wrong wrong wrong.
Although I felt totally out of my tree, like my body was floating, I didnt enjoy it much, it felt quite awkward. I probably wouldnt have it again if I had the choice...

Yeah, its interesting to say the least....
Did you know that if a heroin addict ends up in hospital (for whatever reason.. eg. bashed for drugs) all they'll give them is panadeine forte?... some of those people could have a bowl of morphine and it would do jack!
I reckon morphine is a pretty tame painkiller really

MOTOXXX
9th November 2004, 09:26
I had it about 3 weeks ago when i was taken to hospital after my crash.
They gave me that stuff that stops ya being sick first and then the morphine.

I was realy dissapointed with it. i dont know if i had enough. ( the nurse came back like three times and keept giving me more) i was on a drip with some other stuff.

i didnt feel high or anything at all. it made me realy sleepy which was good as i was starting to loose my rag being in a neck brace for 6 hours and lying on that fuking board that digs into the back of ya head. just felt like, meh i cant be fukd moving or talking.
even the nos they gave me in the ambulance didnt do anything realy.
ive had nos in the dentist and man that shit kicks your ass. most fun ive had at a dentist for sure.

i just hope i dont have to be in a position where i have to have it again. :scooter:

Eddieb
9th November 2004, 09:31
I spent about 3 weeks on it a few years ago and don't remember much of it. Apparently I'd faze in and out on consciousness as people were talking to me, theres some people I don't remember seeing at all even though I had conversations with them.

Trippy stuff as long as the nausea doesn't get you.

riffer
9th November 2004, 09:34
Pretty good for killing pain, but it tends to give you nausea, and I also got very itchy with it.

Pethedine, or Fortril are nicer... :mellow: Fortril made me feel like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction - you know the bit when he's driving down the road after shooting himself up.

However, if the pain is bad enough, anything is good :niceone:

Devil
9th November 2004, 09:36
Yeah, I felt almost nauseas, was a bit hot and uncomfortable and definately sleepy.

The fuckers gave me the morphene, then came back to ask a whole lot of questions. Christ! That was the last thing I wanted to do right then "Fuggoff, im sleepy".

Oh and put me down for never wanting to have to go to a public hospital again. ever.

Blakamin
9th November 2004, 09:45
Pretty good for killing pain, but it tends to give you nausea, and I also got very itchy with it.

Same shit you get with heroin too....(brother is an addict before anyone thinks I'm on it)

vifferman
9th November 2004, 10:08
So who here has had it (for whatever reason) and what was your opinion of it?Burst appendix, that eventually they decided needed surgery, after testing how much it hurt me to poke me in the side. Several times. :blank:
The morphine (post surgery) was great. :2thumbsup
Being awake for the next 4 days was not, nor was the (post-op? post drug?) depression, and the nurse's strike was 'interesting'.
Discharged myself on the fifth day when I couldn't stand it any more, and had nurses visits for another week at home, followed by another 2 weeks after that off work.

Devil
9th November 2004, 10:48
Burst appendix, that eventually they decided needed surgery, after testing how much it hurt me to poke me in the side. Several times. :blank:
The morphine (post surgery) was great. :2thumbsup
Being awake for the next 4 days was not, nor was the (post-op? post drug?) depression, and the nurse's strike was 'interesting'.
Discharged myself on the fifth day when I couldn't stand it any more, and had nurses visits for another week at home, followed by another 2 weeks after that off work.
Christ, I talked them into letting me go home the afternoon after my op!
Mine had burst, the operation was at about midnight I think and I went home (albeit in a wheelchair, with a box of Tramadol and a whopping great supply of panadol) at about 3pm that afternoon. I couldnt stand it!
I was off work for about 10 days, then doing half days for at least another week. Started to fuck up my back because I couldnt stand up straight.

Glad I had someone at home with me otherwise I wouldnt have been able to get out of bed.

duckman
9th November 2004, 10:55
When I was a young nipper I got really REALLY bad migraines and on one particular occassion when death would have been happily appreciated I was given three shots of morphine.
The first one did nothing - I just kept on screaming like a banshee.
The second one was much the same ...
The third one hit the spot.

It felt like I just started to lift off the bed and float about 5 feet above my body. The relief from the pain was pure extasy.(sp) Pretty cool sensation .. but I've had better.. :innocent:

MOTOXXX
9th November 2004, 12:07
Same shit you get with heroin too....(brother is an addict before anyone thinks I'm on it)

is that in ausie man? its a shame that stuff like that is so cheap over there.

Hey were u on akatarawa road on sunday night man?

Blakamin
9th November 2004, 12:45
is that in ausie man? its a shame that stuff like that is so cheap over there.

Hey were u on akatarawa road on sunday night man?
yeah... he lives somewhere near melbourne... dont care where!

hmmm... sunday.... nope!... was in waikanae in the morning tho... bloody bowling drivers in te moana rd :mad:

Skyryder
9th November 2004, 17:02
Had morphene when the prostate was taken out. Nurse reckoned on the first day after the op I was not useing enough. So that night I used a bit more not that I needed it but since I had already paid for the stuff hell why not. Woke up in the morning dying for a cup of tea. Chucked the lot up two minutes later. Never touched tea or coffee since. Loved my cuppa. Now I know why it is illegal. Nothing to do with addiction it's the bloody tea lobby............the one we never hear about :stupid:

Skyryder

Jackrat
9th November 2004, 17:15
Was put on a morphine pain pump for a week.This thing has a big sringe mounted on it an it just keeps feeding you the stuff.I don't remember much of that week,also it was only partly successfull in stopping the pain.
When I got released I was given enough morphine phosphate in tablet form to stun a horse for a month.most of that I flushed down the dunny.
I found it really F'ed me up and an made things very confusing.
The best pain killer I've come across is called a "Beta blocker".I don't know what it is, but when I cut my finger off the Surgeon gave it to me an the pain relief was instant.I reckon we should all be able to carry a couple of shots of that stuff in our tool kits.

riffer
9th November 2004, 19:41
The best pain killer I've come across is called a "Beta blocker".
Not too sure if you've called it the right thing but I've had something similar called a "nerve block". What it did was to flood the tissues with a liquid painkiller so that it actually blocked off the pain nerves from communicating totally.

Absolutely no pain whatsoever. Just amazing.

Had it three times.

First when my knee was rebuilt
Second when they removed the lymph glands from my groin
Third when they tried to fix up the hernia they created when they took out the lymph glands (must have created a weakness).

Not good when it wears off though...

MOTOXXX
9th November 2004, 19:51
im not sure if it would be beta blockers but i could be wrong.

as far as i know they slow down your heart rate and lower blood pressure.
there banned in games such as snooker and i think also cricket.

:mellow:

NC
9th November 2004, 19:53
I've had it twice in hospital. I liked it both times :yes:

But alas, it's bad :sneaky2:

:doobey: Is better for you :laugh:

Jackrat
9th November 2004, 19:58
Not too sure if you've called it the right thing but I've had something similar called a "nerve block". What it did was to flood the tissues with a liquid painkiller so that it actually blocked off the pain nerves from communicating totally.

Absolutely no pain whatsoever. Just amazing.

Had it three times.

First when my knee was rebuilt
Second when they removed the lymph glands from my groin
Third when they tried to fix up the hernia they created when they took out the lymph glands (must have created a weakness).

Not good when it wears off though...

Yeah,you could be right there,but I wasn't really listening to what he was saying at the time.You know how these things are huh.

Your also so right about when it wears off.
He said it would last 24 hours,well 23 1/2 hours later I was with the boss making out a report about the whole incident when it wore off,it was like flicking a switch.I just got up with out a word an left the building.The next few days were not much fun :brick: :whistle:

Deano
9th November 2004, 19:59
I had NOS after a bike accident once - started on it in the ambo at Paraparaumu and didn't breathe anything but until Porirua at which time the pain finally numbed, but hell, it felt so good I kept inhaling all the way to Wgtn hospital.

Years later was admitted to hospital with a shin infection (haematoma gone bad) and got delayed from surgery cause it was a 'dirty' wound - the doc asked if I minded having the 'procedure' in the bed to avoid further delays and pumped me with some morphine (5mg's I think) before attacking me with the scalpel - still hurt like hell regardless. What didn't help was I looked away as he drove the scalpel into my leg, but saw a perfect reflection in the window - psychosomatic reaction followed. Bugger.

SPORK
9th November 2004, 20:00
Trust you... :P

Madmax
9th November 2004, 20:14
I live with a recovering junky (not fun try to help as much as possible)
been through this as well
life with the needle is not fun
have been through this with other people before
the whole house is mad at times

one 4 year old
me (not fun anymore,drink to much)
partner (has medical condition)
flatmate (methodone programe)
about 70 odd gold fish
2 cats
one magpie

if anyone can find out
who is in charge at any time
will have the answer to life the univers and everything

I think it is one of the goldfish???
:eek5:

sAsLEX
9th November 2004, 21:41
had it once a few times when i had my jaw broken in a few places. all the surgery internally had made me swallow a fair bit of blood so that coupled with a good jab of morphine made me puke once, with jaw wired shut was an interesting experience, but a lemonade popsicle fixed me right up and was straight back asleep without pain, till i woke up.

mini_me
9th November 2004, 22:11
morphine...was good shit, until they took me off it - they weened me onto something less potent after a while its called tramadol and the only affect (apart from numbing the pain) was to very adversly affect my balance so it was like i was completly pissed all the time but without the lack of inhibtion and the need to take a piss every so often

bluninja
9th November 2004, 22:46
Broke leg and ankle 11:00 am. 17:30 pm seen by an orthapaedic registrar and asked if I wanted pain relief....Duh!!! like I would say no. A big needle straight into the thigh muscle and I was in happy land, the pain a dim memory. Only time I've ever had it. Don't particularly like taking pain killers for anything, best to avoid pain in the first place.

bluninja
9th November 2004, 23:03
BTW that was 1991....no injuries recently...no motorcycling or contact sports...wonder if there is a link?

Firefight
10th November 2004, 04:27
[QUOTE=duckman

It felt like I just started to lift off the bed and float about 5 feet above my body. The relief from the pain was pure extasy.(sp) Pretty cool sensation .. but I've had better.. :innocent:[/QUOTE]

Had the same floating thing with Pethadene(sp?), thought I was floating above my bed,looking back down at myself, freaked a bit cause I thought I was dead. obtw, it was work related accident :doh: not bike bin. (that time anyway)

F/F

Motu
10th November 2004, 06:49
I've had stuff removed from my eye ball a few times,dunno what they use,but the first time I thought they might have to strap me to the bed and clamp my head in place - no way was anyone going to be able to go digging into my eye ball! But they drop this local in and then you can feel them boinging away with your eyeball jelly.You can feel what's been done when it wears off though!

My mother was on morphine all through her terminal cancer,knocked her around physically a bit and her memory was a bit selective.I don't know what the doseage was towards the end,but she was bright and aware,completly lucid.They say it has no effect on terminal patients.I didn't care,I just wanted her not to suffer.

Blakamin
10th November 2004, 07:01
one 4 year old
me (not fun anymore,drink to much)
partner (has medical condition)
flatmate (methodone programe)
about 70 odd gold fish
2 cats
one magpie

Dont know how ya do it!... i had my brother put me thru a window one night when he was comin down... as for methadone... what a joke, that was his absolute last resort... he'd crush morph pills and shoot them first!
he's the reason I lost the only house i ever owned!

Deano
10th November 2004, 08:05
Ive watched people (some mates) shoot up before but never tried it myself. I don't believe any high is worth sticking a needle in your arm.

Devil
10th November 2004, 09:35
morphine...was good shit, until they took me off it - they weened me onto something less potent after a while its called tramadol and the only affect (apart from numbing the pain) was to very adversly affect my balance so it was like i was completly pissed all the time but without the lack of inhibtion and the need to take a piss every so often
I had tramadol when I left the hospital. Apparently it breaks down to morphene in your liver, just not as strong as a big dose.

I found I got quite hot with it, but damn those were the good pills! (still have some left heh).

MrMelon
10th November 2004, 09:54
I had a couple of shots of tramadol after getting my wisdom teeth out at the hospital. It was pretty good, completely took the pain away for a while.

Still, nothing beats NOS for sheer fucked-upness :D

rodgerd
10th November 2004, 11:05
My mother was on morphine all through her terminal cancer,knocked her around physically a bit and her memory was a bit selective.I don't know what the doseage was towards the end,but she was bright and aware,completly lucid.They say it has no effect on terminal patients.I didn't care,I just wanted her not to suffer.

Friend of a friend had a similar experience; he had terminal cancer (at 21!) and they eventually just gave him as much as he wanted. If he was going to die anyway, damage from morphine didn't matter any more.

matthewt
10th November 2004, 11:19
When I was in A&E last Boixing Day I was offered Morphine, I turned it down since I wasn't in that much pain and fiigured I'd rather know if something really hurts so they can sort it out. The Dr then asked me if I was sure. After I confirmed I really didn't want it she then had a little chat with my wife to see if there was any "special" reason I wouldn't want it, ie am I a recovering druggie.

Blakamin
10th November 2004, 11:26
Ahh... Mr M, LOTS of things beat NO2 for sheer fucked-upness... but 98% of them are illegal :blah:

MOTOXXX
10th November 2004, 12:48

hell yea man. nos is good. got a tooth pulled before getting braces. was on it for about half an hour. i just remember trying to chat up the assistant nurse asking her "how u doin". i dont think it looked too good with a mouth full of cotton and pliers.
cant blame me for tryin tho
:killingme

MrMelon
10th November 2004, 13:11
hell yea man. nos is good. got a tooth pulled before getting braces. was on it for about half an hour. i just remember trying to chat up the assistant nurse asking her "how u doin". i dont think it looked too good with a mouth full of cotton and pliers.

Haha I did exactly the same thing about 20 seconds after waking up from my general anasthetic with my face all numb and a mouth full of cotton stuff. It was a good laugh tho.

Blakamin
10th November 2004, 13:14
you should see my dentist....she be very nice! :eek:
probably the only reason I keep going back!

MOTOXXX
10th November 2004, 13:37
theres a few hot women docs and nurses in welly hospital also.
made things a bit more enjoyable.

blakamin................where is this dentist u speak of eh eh :spudbooge

Blakamin
10th November 2004, 13:45
theres a few hot women docs and nurses in welly hospital also.
made things a bit more enjoyable.

blakamin................where is this dentist u speak of eh eh :spudbooge
I fi told you the waiting lists would be longer!!!

raumati rd by the big chill carpark

MOTOXXX
10th November 2004, 14:07
ha ha
fair enough dude. fair enough.
i try not to go to them too much anyway. they take lots of money off me

Blakamin
10th November 2004, 14:34
ha ha
fair enough dude. fair enough.
i try not to go to them too much anyway. they take lots of money off me
Everytime I go it's to get a tooth pulled out! cost about a hundred an somfin everytime... saves goin back in 5 years when the fillings fall out tho!

and I've never had NOS there... just plenty of needles... but i'm tuff :stoogie:

read the fine print in my above post :shifty:

James Deuce
10th November 2004, 14:41
Smack gives me a headache. I hate the stuff.

riffer
10th November 2004, 14:50
Smack gives me a headache. I hate the stuff.

Funny. I have the same reaction to Steinlager...
:whistle:

FROSTY
10th November 2004, 14:56
Last time I had my shoulder fixed they put me on that stuff---argg--felt like i had 10000 ants crawling all over my body.

MOTOXXX
10th November 2004, 15:02
Funny. I have the same reaction to Steinlager...

Im sure steinlager translates to headache in a bottle

bear
10th November 2004, 15:13
Have a plate put in my shoulder a few years back (collarbone from mountain biking), over night in hospital, and I had this button to push for a shot if I felt pain, can't remember it doing anything but remember that I liked pushing the button - guess I was quite rooted from the op.

Skyryder
10th November 2004, 20:39
What's this Beta blocker shit? I thought they gave that to gambling addicts to cure them.

:killingme :killingme :killingme

You saw it first on Kiwi Biker.

Skyryder

Joni
10th November 2004, 20:43
Yeah, been on the shit too - had it in a drip for 10 days, August 1999 if I remember correctly.... such fun! :wacko:

Madmax
16th November 2004, 14:03
Oxycontin is the new pain killer around
I dont think its used here though :blink:

Hitcher
16th November 2004, 14:32
I had on-demand morphine for about six days once. I didn't like it at all. Pethadine was an entirely more seductive proposition. The best of the lot I had was i.v. vallium -- man, what a cruise... but that was only available for short-term procedures. Those liquid codeine cocktails that nurses with drug trolleys can toss together were way better for me than morphine.

toads
16th November 2004, 15:28
yeah morphine does funny things to me, dries my mouth and throat and makes me feel nauseous and floaty and out of my head, but in just as much pain strangely enough, I find voltaren suppositaries the best thing, work almost instantly and stay working for 4 hours, only problem is the resulting screaming shitts 3 days later, I need to feel in control of myself, and cope with pain far better when I can think clearly. Pethadine has the same effect.

Hitcher
16th November 2004, 16:28
voltaren suppositaries
They taste terrible and, for all the use they are, you might as well stick them up your arse!

MrMelon
16th November 2004, 17:36
Everytime I go it's to get a tooth pulled out! cost about a hundred an somfin everytime... saves goin back in 5 years when the fillings fall out tho!

and I've never had NOS there... just plenty of needles... but i'm tuff :stoogie:

read the fine print in my above post :shifty:

Well there's a dodgy little indian dariy just around the corner from your place that sells cheap boxes of NOS.. real handy when you've got an absolute arseload of cream to whip :D

NC
16th November 2004, 18:13
Well there's a dodgy little indian dariy just around the corner from your place that sells cheap boxes of NOS.. real handy when you've got an absolute arseload of cream to whip :D

:lol:

Blakamin
16th November 2004, 18:27
lol.... so infamous the local paper told everyone where it was.... really helped the shop!!!

inlinefour
2nd December 2004, 21:26

Was total shite! I for the life of myself figure out why people take it for kicks. I hated the whole thing and the way the morphine made me feel afterwards :argh:

onearmedbandit
3rd December 2004, 10:20
I was on a constant supply of morphine and pethadene for the two weeks I was in hospital (including 4 days in ICU) after my accident. Horrible shit, I'd dream I was walking through the corridors to see the nurses, realise my drip wasn't with me, and open my eyes to find I was still sitting in my armchair. (great hospital ward, my own room, my own tv, etc). I would be reading bike magazines, open my eyes, and presto no magazine. Just my mind playing tricks on me. Constipation is another nasty side affect, along with your mucas going hard (diamond hard) in your nose.

Well its 7yrs later, and my course of meds hasn't changed. 35 fucken pills a day to combat the pain, which is just as bad as the day it happened. (Called 'Chronic Pain). However, I've now reduced my intake to nothing, zip, nada. 4 30mg morphine pills a day had me falling asleep in the middle of the day, feeling like a shell. Also the effect of taking so many pills a day must have drastic consequences on the body over a period of time. So now I live in 24hr a day excruitiating pain, but happy, rapt, over the moon to still be alive, to still be able to walk and talk, and able to still ride bikes. My pain thresehold has risen considerably now, and although I'm in constant pain I can override it. I have to, I'm in car sales, and I need to be able to deal with the public without displaying any signs of pain. However, probably up to 100 times a day I go through pain that I can't describe, so strong it locks me up (has put me to sleep a couple of times). But I can't bitch, there's people out there in far worse situations than me that carry on in life, and self-pity is for, as far as I'm concerned, losers. Life deals you a hand, deal with it.

Madmax
4th December 2004, 17:40
the pet junky is having a wash
my other is as well
I have a 4year old who is driving me mad
smack sucks :angry:
the only things that seem to help
are the fish
( a shit load of loaches,clowns,etc)