PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki A100

bungbung
9th November 2004, 11:02
I rode this A100 from Masterton to Upper Hutt for a friend of mine. He'd ust bought it and wanted someone with a licence to ride it for him.

It's a different kettle of fish from the vtr1000 but.

99cc/9hp two stroke goodness, its tricky to keep on the boil with a reverse pattern 4speed box. Top speed sitting is 85km/h indicated, with 95km/h after 3km lying on the tank.

Stopping is equally difficult with nasty drum brakes all around.

Handling is suprisingly good given the lack of damping from the front end. Cars were holding me up on the 'takas, requiring advance planning for the overtaking manouveres.

Overtaking a horse truck travelling at 80km/h required a 200m run up using the vacuum from the trucks rear to slingshot the bike past at about 88km/h (and slowing).

For the price (cheaper than a lot of scooters) this was less crap than I had imagined. Fun too, but I didn't say that... :whistle:

Blakamin
9th November 2004, 11:10
Wicked!... what year is it and what did it cost him? oops...her

Riff Raff
9th November 2004, 11:51
These old little bikes are heaps of fun. When I started riding I had a 1967 Suzuki B120. Lots of fun but cost a fortune to keep getting repaired when it broke down. Eventually the local bike shop told me to stop bringing it in cos they were fed up with working on it, and preferred fixing modern bikes!! Also had a 1963 Suzuki T150 with rotary gears - got rid of it pretty quickly after riding in the middle of nowhere at about 110kph, went over a bump and foot tapped the gears - suddenly I was in first gear! :eek: Managed to stay on tho!

bungbung
9th November 2004, 12:18
Wicked!... what year is it and what did it cost him?

1983, $450. Had new bits, battery, tyre, seat cover and stuff. I offered her $300 to use it as a bucket, but she turned me down. Said it was too good for that. (incidentally, I've bought F5 Daves old 100cc bucket)

vifferman
9th November 2004, 12:31
Bungbung, the "mad mono skills" avatar sucks, in my humble opinion. I really liked the hillbilly one though.:headbang:

Blakamin
9th November 2004, 12:55
1983, $450. Had new bits, battery, tyre, seat cover and stuff. I offered her $300 to use it as a bucket, but she turned me down. Said it was too good for that. (incidentally, I've bought F5 Daves old 100cc bucket)
how did ya know the bucket was the first thing that popped into my head??? :rolleyes:

Must be getting predictable...hmmm <_<

Eddieb
9th November 2004, 13:32
My sister had one of those for years. Paid $150 or somesuch not running. We cleaned out the carb and away it went. It didn't really have any problems except seizing once on the open road cause it was running too lean.

If you look at one check for frame rot, they tend to give up around the headstock as they age. The rust gets to them.