PDA

View Full Version : Lanesplitting/filtering habits

jrandom
8th August 2003, 10:24
Right. I need some collective wisdom here.

How much and how fast do you lot filter? I'm starting to notice that my antics down the north-western motorway getting home every night seem to be happening at higher and higher speeds, and every day I have to weave through the lanes to overtake at least two or three other bikes, also filtering but much slower. I also seem to be braking madly to avoid blowing past coppers in a compromising manner at least once a day.

Last night the traffic was pretty nasty but I did the trip from Northcote to Te Atatu in 20 minutes (5:35pm - 5:55pm).

I guess I'd be averaging about 85-ish through the traffic. Opinions; am I:

(a) worried about nuffin, everyone does it, the only reason I'm not going even faster is because I have such a slow wee bike, and I should stop being silly, get on with it and enjoy the hour every day during which I *don't* have to sit in traffic;

(b) mental and gonna die;

(c) a way-above-average riding god who whups the ass of all you pansy foo-foos crawling through the traffic? (doubt this one, somehow...)

What?
8th August 2003, 11:34
You should do what you are comfortable with. And that includes being comfortable with the possible consequences...

I personally don't feel at all safe lane splitting, but I do split at lights - provided they are red and not about to go green. On m/ways, I tend to be a bit conservative and wait for gaps unless the traffic is just about at stand-still.

SPman
8th August 2003, 12:03
The more you lane split and the more comfortable and used to it you get, the more your speeds tend to creep up! It becomes second nature. Unfortunately, you can get too blase' about the whole affair - and end up like me  - racing other mad barstards at up to 120k between virtually stopped traffic :eek:

If that happens, have a serious think and just dont be stupid about it. It is illegal :angry2:, so as long as you dont go too much faster than the traffic, only do it if the traffic is moving reasonably slowly (-> 30-40k..) and make sure you've got all traffic aware senses on full detect, you should be OK

Well thats my 2 bobs worth, anyway...

SPman
8th August 2003, 12:05
Yeah and what What? says, be fully aware of what can happen, if it all goes wrong. :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Coldkiwi
8th August 2003, 12:20
yeah.. I second SP Man... our little chat up at Mangawai a few months back was ringing lots of bells! I go everywhere on the bike and I'm normally running late so my brain is pretty much always tuned to 'whats the fastest way through this traffic?' as opposed to 'whats the most legal way through this traffic?'... although I try not to forget 'whats a safe way to get through this traffic'.

I will change lanes to get round cars even if I'm not running late.. its 2nd nature.

you do need to be scared a few times though to keep you honest.. if you haven't had to jump on the brakes very hard, be wary because lane splitting at higher speeds on the motorway will eventually put you in a situation where you need to stop in a BIG hurry. If you don't think you can stop to the best of your bikes abilities, go get some training or go test yourself in a big long carpark or empty road and try and reduce your braking distance as much as possible.

Duke of Rogan
8th August 2003, 12:30
If you're doing 85km/h between rows of cars that are crawling (<30k's) then I'd say B: you're crazy and probably will end up with a serious injury.
but if you're using the right shoulder on the very inside of the motorway (not sure if the NW got one, but the nothern going in to the city has) then you'll live longer, although this is illegal too (failing to drive within a lane = $150 but no demerits)

I use the right shoulder quite a bit when going to work as a calculated risk 'cos I'd rather travel safely even if is illegal, and I try and scan for coppers as far ahead as poss.
Last time I got stopped I was doing it at a nice safe speed of about 60ks but failed to see the cop, and I made the dumb mistake of pulling in AFTER I went past him. Only got a warning :cool:

I follow a rough sort of rule where if the traffic is doing more than 30 or 40 (depends how I feel) then I won't lane split, but if its slow I will but go no more than 50ish (or even slower in the wet/dark)

SPman
8th August 2003, 14:47
I seen ya lanesplitting on the shore DoR....yeah but you were just taking it easy....

Duke of Rogan
8th August 2003, 14:57
ha, nice to be noticed. did you see my scratches?

my bike hates it when I "take it easy" too, its like its trying to tell me "why the f*ck do you keep taking me here!"

I did overtake a fellow lanesplitter this morning however...:o

SPman
8th August 2003, 17:18
DoR.........hmmmmmmm...........

This was pre scratches. :)

mangell6
8th August 2003, 22:48
Hmm, Lane splitting - First question is do I trust cagers that are moving? Not one your life they like swapping lanes cos they can.

Now if they are stopped - see ya later down the lane I go.

Bottom line is have your own rules for splitting and stick to them.

Like moving to the front of traffic stopped at the lights and there is a member of the NZ traffic force. He must have been still asleep cos he ignored me.

Mike

Marmoot
8th August 2003, 22:49
I don't lanesplit.....must be something wrong with me....

Andrew
9th August 2003, 01:12
I tend to agree with What? Afterall i'm too young to die!

Big Dog
9th August 2003, 01:24
Originally posted by What?
You should do what you are comfortable with. And that includes being comfortable with the possible consequences...

I personally don't feel at all safe lane splitting, but I do split at lights - provided they are red and not about to go green. On m/ways, I tend to be a bit conservative and wait for gaps unless the traffic is just about at stand-still.

I agree with the above but then most other riders think im soft :o

Pehaps a poll?

Andrew
9th August 2003, 01:28
Yeah I can feel a poll coming on!

Those who lane split motorway whatever speed.

Those who lane split motorway up to 40 Kph.

Those who don't lane split on motorway but do at red lights

And those who ride as if they're a cager.

Big Dog
9th August 2003, 01:33
Well Spankme thats three votes for lane splitting poll!

I have to add though it pays to steer clear of the little whit landmines in the middle when raining.

a cop has told me of comming a cropper while lanesplitting on the way home from a shift on traffic duty.:done:

Coldkiwi
9th August 2003, 04:20
well, how bout one of you clowns makes a poll then!?

don't make spankme do everything!!

bikerboy
9th August 2003, 10:38
Perhaps, like me they wouldn't know how?:(

Make a poll, not lane split.:p

Big Dog
9th August 2003, 14:47
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
well, how bout one of you clowns makes a poll then!?

don't make spankme do everything!!
Perhaps the how to make a poll should be added to the Faq thread by some one who knows how?

andy1
9th August 2003, 21:35
just blast past everything at 150k
between cars

Dave
11th August 2003, 09:28
just blast past everything at 150k

In a coffin?

I rekon that you can get away with it safely if you do it as lane changes-go from gap to gap splitting while you go,that way if you do get stopped,the worst you cop is unsafe lanechange.

Marmoot
11th August 2003, 11:14
In concept, the radar wouldn't pick you up when you're lanespliting at over 100kph since you are not an isolated target.

gpercivl
11th August 2003, 11:44
It all depends on what mood the cop is in when he pulls you over. Years ago I was quietly tooting down the NW at about 20kph faster than the traffic when this looney cop in a car drove down the left side of the motorway in the dirt and stones to catch me. I only stopped 'cause there was cop on bike about 0.5km ahead. This guy was off his tree and booked me for 'Careless Driving', it went to court where I got done 'cause the judge said he had to believe the officer not me.

So watch out for those 'gentlemen (& ladies)' while your saving the environment!:eek:

Coldkiwi
11th August 2003, 12:27
I think the best form of defence is to keep your eyes peeled at all times and in all directions.

Speaking of which... I saw an unprecedented amount of piggies on the southern motorway this morning... 4 going north and 2 heading south between Penrose and the city. They must be trying to raise money for a policemans ball (doughnuts on tap) or something this weekend.

Marmoot
11th August 2003, 22:20
Originally posted by gpercivl
'cause the judge said he had to believe the officer not me.

Thank you for answering my eternal question: "if in the court it is your word against the cop's, who do the judges believe?"

Dave
12th August 2003, 10:30
I stood in court and said one thing,the cop said another. The judge ruled in my favour and the cop stood up and said "with repect your honour ...."
The judge then turned to him and said " its in the hands of the court now, Sit Down!"

yay i won.
(be humble,look honest and may the best man win.)

gpercivl
12th August 2003, 11:03
Dave, you must have got 'the look' just right...If it happens to me again I'll go for the 'I'm honest but got no money' look rather than wear a suit and tie....nice to hear that you won Dave!

(ps. let me know how you managed a 41.9 at Taupo too! my best is a 45.3 :( and I'm always looking for help!)

cheers, Greg

Dave
13th August 2003, 09:40
lots of tricky shit in the motor and lots of laps.

wkid_one
13th August 2003, 18:28
Originally posted by Dave
lots of tricky shit in the motor and lots of laps.

PMPL - that's answer is helpful!

gpercivl
14th August 2003, 11:42
Nah, that's as good an answer as I could really expect. After racing for 5 years now, I know there's not really much hope of me improving my lap times by more than a second at Taupo, Puke, or Manfeild.

It's such a personal thing, either you got it or you haven't. My best time on my Thundercat at Manfeild was 1:21.7 and Dave Cole on the same bike managed 3 laps in the high 1:09's back in 1997.

But maybe a few tips on what lines Dave's using around the sweeper at Taupo might be helpful. I'm turning in for the last apex too early...but can't seem to stop myself : )