PDA

View Full Version : Another Wairarapa road less travelled

Hitcher
3rd January 2008, 20:52
Summertime, and the living’s easy, well for me until Monday anyway. Mrs H still has to turn up for work each afternoon.

Today it was blowing a gale but fine and warm with it, so we decided to Walpole over the Hill to the Fush for some comestibles and caffeinated beverages. Excellent!

After curtailing our Walpoling activities, we hit the road in the general and approximate direction of home. Reaching the intersection of the East-West Access Road and the Western Lake Road, we turned left, instead of the usual right. It had been several years since we had last sallied forth in that direction, turning at the end of the seal.

Today we noted that the seal had been extended southwards significantly, not to mention significantly southwards, affording most excellent views across Lake Onoke to the vast and bustling metropolis that is Lake Ferry. Such was our sense of adventure and unfettered derring-do that we pressed onwards onto the corrugated gravel for a couple of km to discover, to our delight, that the macadam resumed.

It would have been offensive to the roading engineers responsible not to continue onwards. And what a treat was in store for us in terms of scenic coastal grandeur! A few more km later the seal ended once more. So significant were the corrugations in the gravel at that point that we turned and retraced our tracks.

The views were even better on the return journey. But alas, the trusty Canon PowerShot was charging itself at home, making the capturing of photographic records impossible.

However we will return, with either a still camera or helmetcam to capture and share this experience.

There are a few stretches of nicely sealed twisties south of the EWAR/WLR intersection. Highly recommended!

skelstar
3rd January 2008, 21:26
Like this?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=2912303063652725968,-41.245391,175.310175%3B18056392934085756335,-41.373006,175.091042&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=-41.315981,175.188332&daddr=Wharekauhau+Rd+%40-41.373006,+175.091042&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=12&sll=-41.2889,175.229874&sspn=0.117118,0.233459&ie=UTF8&ll=-41.337123,175.167389&spn=0.117032,0.233459&z=12&om=1

Hitcher
3rd January 2008, 21:40
Try this map instead...

Wharekauhau Road is sealed from the Beach Road junction to directly above the last U in the placename Wharekauhau. That stretch is along the ridgeline and the views are fantastic!

MD
3rd January 2008, 21:49
Thank you for the update Mr H.

A couple of years ago I went to the end of the seal and wondered what mysteries awaited any bold explorer not afraid of gravel.
I'm a real man, I am not afraid of gravel..I am afraid of getting dust on my bike though.
Merv laments the sealing of the wilderness. Those on sportsbike lament the slow pace of the sealing!

merv
3rd January 2008, 22:50
So sounds like you didn't quite get around as far as Finn's 'rapa property http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=48572&page=28

I'm like you MD I don't really like dust on my road bike hence having a garage full of dirty bikes as well. Once the roads are all sealed I guess we could sell them.

wilber
3rd January 2008, 22:50
Use to hunt up there but like most places when the lodge started they put gates and locks to stop you going around the coast and up the river bed into the back country shooting area ,after that we used to go in the from wanui coast rd.

kanny
4th January 2008, 16:33
Thank you for the update Mr H.

A couple of years ago I went to the end of the seal and wondered what mysteries awaited any bold explorer not afraid of gravel.
I'm a real man, I am not afraid of gravel..I am afraid of getting dust on my bike though.
Merv laments the sealing of the wilderness. Those on sportsbike lament the slow pace of the sealing!

Did you say real man or mouse:shutup:Opps did i say that! :innocent:

limbimtimwim
4th January 2008, 17:00
The DR-Z splutters from the shed: "Buy me some new tyres and take a look please".

The RVF growls.

That's all it ever says.

The DR-Z is like the car from Night Rider except it creates crime instead of fighting it.

KoroJ
6th January 2008, 15:41
Summertime, and the living’s easy, well for me until Monday anyway....................... And what a treat was in store for us in terms of scenic coastal grandeur! A few more km later the seal ended once more. So significant were the corrugations in the gravel at that point that we turned and retraced our tracks......................... Highly recommended!

I'm not sure exactly what that all meant,.....but it sounded/read good.

.....Wharekauhau Road is sealed from the Beach Road junction to directly above the last U in the placename Wharekauhau. That stretch is along the ridgeline and the views are fantastic!

?? Looked like gravel to me.

Summary of our pootling here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/blogs/viewblog.php?userid=9500&entry=353 The Windfarm is also a worthy ride and a couple of pics below

1. Dropping down to Ocean Beach
2. Ocean Beach
3. Heading back - View to Lake Ferry

KoroJ
6th January 2008, 15:46
And a few pix heading over to Ngawi;

1. Surfers enjoying the day
2. Ngawi Coast
3. Ngawi Coast Road
4. Ngawi

MSTRS
6th January 2008, 15:53
So, le fromage de la belle Francais was a bit runny....

KoroJ
6th January 2008, 15:57

If that meant 'he used French Letters when he was doing it'.....I guess so!!!

MSTRS
6th January 2008, 16:56
If that meant 'he used French Letters when he was doing it'.....I guess so!!!

Ah...no....
I see you need a refresher course in the Classics. To whit, The Cheese Shop.
Google that and all will be revealed.

Hitcher
7th January 2008, 08:06
The cat ate it.

And to clarify, Mr KoroJ, the Wharekauhau road is a case of sealus interruptus. The main seal finishes, gravel commences and then the seal resumes for a bit.

Pickle
7th January 2008, 17:29
Just in case folks dont know yet the road to Cape Palliser is sealed all the way to Ngawi, a little caravan selling food & drinks, seats & tables situated so one can take in the view, watch the boats coming ashore - Nice

KoroJ
7th January 2008, 17:51
Ah...no....
I see you need a refresher course in the Classics. To whit, The Cheese Shop.
Google that and all will be revealed.

It was a coastal ride....references to Albatross would be far more appropriate.

..........And to clarify, Mr KoroJ, the Wharekauhau road is a case of sealus interruptus. The main seal finishes, gravel commences and then the seal resumes for a bit.

I hate anything interruptus and would much prefer if prophylactics were issued......or dirty bikes ridden.

Hitcher
7th January 2008, 21:30
I hate anything interruptus and would much prefer if prophylactics were issued...

Rubber-side down indeed.

MSTRS
8th January 2008, 08:14
... we decided to Walpole over the Hill to the Fush for some comestibles ...
After curtailing our Walpoling activities...

It was a coastal ride....references to Albatross would be far more appropriate.

But he started it....
do you get wafers wiffit