PDA

View Full Version : Too many bikers down-Cut down the chances

rocketman1
4th January 2008, 15:10
Sad to hear about the number of bikers that have been killed on NZ roads in the last couple of months, my thoughts are with the poor families and friends of these riders.
I remember hearing at a safety course I attended a few years back about driving cages, "the same would apply to bikes as well". The presenter who was a well qualified chap said, whenever you drive behind the wheel, you should take five seconds to think about your safety...
Just like safety at work you should consider all the risks......Like
How much sleep have you had?
Have you been drinking the night before?
Is the road wet?
Has your vehicle got a WOF, and good tyres at the correct pressure?
Are you in bad mood?
More dangerous driving at night time?
Is there heaps of traffic on the road?
Are you in a hurry?
Are you visible ie lights on,

There was quite a few more, but the point was and it is very true, that if you tick all the above items then , you have obviously increased your chances of an accident. It pays to think twice before you travel, as to what your chances are, it may help, if you can stack the odds in your favour.

And for all those that don't believe in "odds" think about this .
The odds of crashing on a bike when you dont ride a bike are nil.
For all the many that love riding bikes like myself try to cut down the odds!

James Deuce
4th January 2008, 15:25
There's no "odds" involved merely a series of decisions, both good and bad. It's not a lottery, you are mostly in control, though never safe. You can't ride "safe".

Risk management is the phrase, not "odds".

FJRider
4th January 2008, 15:34
Its called RISK MANAGEMENT !!! and its not new. Our parents called it COMMON SENSE. and you think about it before a ride.
.................................................. .......................
Always remember, you're UNIQUE
just like everybody else

Joni
4th January 2008, 15:37
There's no "odds" involved merely a series of decisions, both good and bad. And those series of decisions are not just the riders, its the people who share the road with them, you can be as good as you want, as prepared and aware as you like... if someone sharing the road with you makes a fucked up decision, it can cost you your life.

jrandom
4th January 2008, 15:40
I'm starting to get bored with these threads.

James Deuce
4th January 2008, 15:45
We have to fulfill our obligations in the "Whinging Homo" category.

Shhh.

Mike748
4th January 2008, 16:01
You can risk manage all you want but shit still happens.:dodge:
I ride for fun and therefore avoid rain, shitty roads and traffic as much as possible, good risk management :yes:

But right now I can't ride as our well trained and expensive dogs had a fight and in trying to avoid expensive vet bills I got my left wrist chewed :Oops: and the med profession are telling me that they expect it to get infected within 7 days which could land me in hospital..... real happy chap he was.:eek5:

So yeah reduce your risks but watch out. ......something will always get you from the left when your looking right:angry2: