PDA

View Full Version : Is this Waikato road sealed?

cowboyz
4th January 2008, 20:58
Planning a coro loop ride and we have half a route setup for getting there but need to know if this road is sealed.

Plan is.

Turn Right at Taupiri onto Gordenton rd
Turn Left onto Orini road
Tuen Left onto rutherfurd road
Turn Left onto Tahuna Ohinewai road

I am 99.99% sure that so far we would not have hit gravel.

This next bit is what gets interesting.

Turn Right into waiterimu road and follow to SH27. THe road acutally turns into Matahuru road and then ohinewai road.

Attached pics of the intended route.

advice?

cowpoos
4th January 2008, 22:25
all mint bro.

cowboyz
4th January 2008, 23:04
top marks. thanks . not allowed to bling you but would if I could.

cowpoos
5th January 2008, 00:17
Sweet as Mate...what is the intended mission...from where to where?? maybe able to give u a better route..

MaxB
5th January 2008, 00:42
+1 for sealed.

The Ohinewai-Tahuna Rd sometimes has loose gravel on the hill at the Tahuna end. There is nearly always some kind of road works on that bloody hill.

Great choice of roads BTW.

Meanie
5th January 2008, 07:56
top marks. thanks . not allowed to bling you but would if I could.

Bling sent
Thanks Cowpoos we are planning our coro loop adventure
Me and the mrs rode it a few months ago and loved it so were heading back up to do it again but this time with a little more time to spare and a few friends
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64150

Motu
5th January 2008, 08:30
No,that is a gravel road,and very rough too,goes over the saddle to Kaihere on SH27.This is on the Kaihere side about a month ago.To me it's a fantastic bit of road,but you might not think so.

Taz
5th January 2008, 08:39
Gravel roads are the best. Come on guys don't be scared of em.

Meanie
5th January 2008, 10:04
Guess ill have to put some nobblies on the concours :gob:

Pixie
5th January 2008, 10:08
According to my AA map book 1999 edition.
as of 1999 the only unsealed section is 2 or 3 km just before Kaihere.
You can also take Torehape rd to Ngatea (sealed),rather than going up SH27 to Mangatarata

Ixion
5th January 2008, 10:45
No,that is a gravel road,and very rough too,goes over the saddle to Kaihere on SH27.This is on the Kaihere side about a month ago.To me it's a fantastic bit of road,but you might not think so.

I'm on my way !

99TLS
5th January 2008, 14:13
Turn Right into waiterimu road and follow to SH27. THe road acutally turns into Matahuru road and then ohinewai road.
advice?
not sealed this road, you would be better going right at the end of rutherferd rd onto ohinewai- tahuna rd aprox 20kms nice easy twisties , then left at tahuna, onto SH27, through to ngatea( nice little twistie gorge) then onto coro, or right at tahuna onto SH27 then follow sigs to paeroa then to coro, my 2c im on orini rd and do tahuna route regular,<!-- MotoWhere on-my-site code. -->
<div id="routemapiframe" style="width: 450px; border: 1px solid #d0d0d0; background: #755; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;">
<span style="display: block; font: bold 11px verdana, arial; padding: 2px;"><a style="color: #fff; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/8106"></a></span>
<iframe id="rmiframe" style="height:360px; background: #eee;" width="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/8106/embed/1"></iframe>
<span style="display: block; font: normal 10px verdana, arial; text-align: right; padding: 1px;"><a style="color: #ddd; text-decoration: none" href="http://www.motowhere.com/">Share your motorbike routes @ MotoWhere.com</a></span>
</div>
<!-- MotoWhere on-my-site code. -->

smoky
5th January 2008, 14:23

This section is not sealed - real nice bit of road on the right bike - a real challenge on a road bike, steep and windy.
If you stop at the top you can walk half an hour to the summit where the TV tower is – fantastic views of the whole upper Waikato basin and the Hauraki planes

99TLS
5th January 2008, 14:49
This section is not sealed - real nice bit of road on the right bike - a real challenge on a road bike, steep and windy.
If you stop at the top you can walk half an hour to the summit where the TV tower is – fantastic views of the whole upper Waikato basin and the Hauraki planes

true went up there on the TL not long after moving here fark me wont do that again tis a bit like 309 in coro

smoky
5th January 2008, 14:59
true went up there on the TL not long after moving here fark me wont do that again tis a bit like 309 in coro

I took a mate up to the TV tower to show her the view once, there's also a great swimming hole down off the road on the flats.
I was driving my old 70's Falcon station wagon.
On the way up I could see the dust of a vehicle on it's descent from the top. Being that the road is only wide enough for one of us I pulled up about 100 meters short of a bend and waited - so we could negotiate getting passed each other safely rather than meet on a corner.
Well this dick head in a small Mitzi truck came around the corner flat out and couldn't stop - hit the brakes and slid right over to my side of the road and went right into the front of me - I was stationary!

smashed my headlight and grill , dented a side panel and the bonnet.
The Mitzi truck was bent, the cab was smashed and the doors wouldn't open. The motor had moved forward and stuffed the radiator.

I put my broken head light on the back with the front grill - and resumed my trip.

smoky
5th January 2008, 15:04
- have you ever been around Lake Waikare, nice little ride

cowboyz
5th January 2008, 16:07
so we have a couple of votes for sealed and a couple for not sealed. I am not afriad of gravel. Just dont like cleaning bike afterwards and hate damage done to fairings from stone chips. Much prefer to stay away from it. Turning right at the end of rutherfurd might be a go then.

marty
5th January 2008, 19:05
Ohinewai Rd is definately not sealed, and is comparable to the windiest/narrowest bits of the 309 or Tapu-Coroglen.

Heading north, just north of Kaihere though, turn right onto Kaihere Rd, it ends up following the canal, and comes out at Ngatea without the hassle of SH27.

cowboyz
5th January 2008, 19:46
thanks. will discuss with Meanie later

cowpoos
5th January 2008, 22:24
so we have a couple of votes for sealed and a couple for not sealed. I am not afriad of gravel. Just dont like cleaning bike afterwards and hate damage done to fairings from stone chips. Much prefer to stay away from it. Turning right at the end of rutherfurd might be a go then.
my vote was for the 99.9% cetain bit...I only just noticed the extra bit...sorry dude!

cowboyz
5th January 2008, 22:29
these there dem farmers no read good................

All good. will talk to meanie about altering the route tomorrow. Should be a good run up there and cant wait to do coro loop.