PDA

View Full Version : How do you reckon this would sell?

huck farley
5th January 2008, 06:13
How do you reckon this bike would go on the NZ market. It's a Triumph Tiger cub. Due out in 09 Triumph release later this year. It's basically a little brother to the successful Tiger 1050. I read it is a lower seat height and is going to run with the Daytona 675 triple motor. I have mixed feelings about it. But then again I had the same feeling about the Speed triples little brother the Triumph Street triple. The Street triple is selling like hot cakes. So my judgements not that good how's yours? Triumph are targeting the commuter with this model, Also the weekender that likes a bit of fun riding with his buddies. What are your thoughts????

Toaster
5th January 2008, 06:24
I'd say fine as commuter bikes. Lower seat would certainly help the vertically challenged rider.

I have ridden a Tiger 1050, the Sprint and the Speed Triple and found them physically too small and they also felt underpowered. Having said that - that is merely because I was used to the GSXR1000K6 with tons of grunt and my current bike the M109R which had significant torque and mass. SO putting those sort of bike experiences aside, I'd say the smaller Tiger might have more of a market with shorter riders after good commuter bike but nothing too overwhelming.

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 06:37
Power isn't everything. In fact for me it's only a small part of the equation.

That is a very handsome motorcycle.

Is there a Triumph dealer in Christchurch?

Taz
5th January 2008, 07:35
Needs a 21' front wheel and some good dual purpose tyres.

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 07:39
No it doesn't.

Taz
5th January 2008, 07:44
Yes it does

Grahameeboy
5th January 2008, 07:48
Oh no it doesn't.........just need to be round

huck farley
5th January 2008, 07:48

I understand the of road adventure version is due out anytime now. It will be built around the 675 triple engine. I will try to find a picture of it. I saw it the other day. It will be around $4500 cheaper than it's main competitor the Beemer GS800 and by the read up, far more flexable muscle should you require it. It will be a lot lighter that the BMW GS800 it says.

huck farley
5th January 2008, 07:53

Power isn't everything. In fact for me it's only a small part of the equation.

That is a very handsome motorcycle.

There is bound to be one down there!! Look in the phone book.

merv
5th January 2008, 07:55
Nice alternative to the 650 V-Strom but yeah I'd want the 21" and dirt tyres if I was to get one.

Why Christchurch Jim are you leaving us?

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 07:56
There's no one to buy Triumph from in Wellington. Plus riding it back the long way to Wellington would get it run in.

huck farley
5th January 2008, 08:04
There's no one to buy Triumph from in Wellington. Plus riding it back the long way to Wellington would get it run in.

Oh yes there is. Motorad in Vivien has the Triumph franchise now. It was taken from Wellington motorcycles for whatever reason, I am not sure late last year.

merv
5th January 2008, 08:12
Oh yes there is. Motorad in Vivien has the Triumph franchise now. It was taken from Wellington motorcycles for whatever reason, I am not sure late last year.

Ah, Jim will explain.

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 09:39
I'll repeat it slowly.

There's no one to buy Triumph products from in Wellington, so I'll have to go elsewhere.

Usarka
5th January 2008, 10:14
It looks like a bike that would be ideally suited to riding on NZ roads.

=> it won't sell very well..... :no: everyone will want the bigger faster one.....

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 10:35
Except me.

huck farley
5th January 2008, 11:39
It looks like a bike that would be ideally suited to riding on NZ roads.

=> it won't sell very well..... :no: everyone will want the bigger faster one.....

That's what they said when the Street triple was introduced, It's now selling like hot cakes.

I have the Tiger 1050 and it has 114hp.

The Tiger cub will have 100hp

But the seat height is going to be 3 inches lower. That's what will sell it.

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 11:43
Triumph Dealer in Wanganui?

Bullitt
5th January 2008, 11:44
Surely theres a Triumph dealer closer to Wellington than Christchurch. Including the ferry time even Auckland is almost closer.

HenryDorsetCase
5th January 2008, 11:48
Its cool.

not for me I dont think (though the low seat height is a plus for my dwarvish build) but Suzuki have sold a crapload of VStrom 650's

HenryDorsetCase
5th January 2008, 12:01
Oh, and the Triumph dealer in Chch is Street n Sport motorcycles on Manchester St.

Good guys (talk to Glen hayward, or Phil Payne, the proprietors). Buy me a street triple while you're there?

http://streetandsport.motorcycletrader.co.nz/Default.aspx?N=0&sid=1174A09E740A

Kickaha
5th January 2008, 12:02

Good guys (talk to Glen hayward, or Phil Payne, the proprietors). Buy me a street triple while you're there?[/url]

That should be Phil Garrett

HenryDorsetCase
5th January 2008, 12:04
Doh, you're right.....

Phil Payne was a motorbike racer in the 80's wasnt he? Bears/Ducatis? Original Cycletreads in Tuam St? I live in a timewarp!

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 12:28
Surely theres a Triumph dealer closer to Wellington than Christchurch. Including the ferry time even Auckland is almost closer.

Yes, but the trip back on South Island roads makes it a no contest in regard to going to Auckland (yuck) to pick one up!

AllanB
5th January 2008, 12:47
Nelson is only a boat trip away.

http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/

I was in the CHCH dealers a few weeks ago and a chap from Nelson came in to buy a new bonnie from them as the Nelson dealer did not have a red one in stock.

They are flying out of CHCH as well apparently, he sold three of those god awful looking 2.3l tractor Triumphs in week pre Xmas.

El Dopa
5th January 2008, 13:39

Street and sports motorcycles.

List of all triumph dealers in NZ (http://www.triumph.co.uk/newzealand/DealerResults.aspx?sDealerSearch=true&sDealerName=&fFacility1=False&fFacility2=False&fFacility3=False&sCountry=New%20Zealand&sCountryCode=NZ&sDataSource=MapPoint.AP)

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 14:20
Thanks for that Meester El Dopa.

Not a very comprehensive "network", is it?

limbimtimwim
5th January 2008, 15:29
That's brilliant!

They'll sell fuckloads if it is well priced.

huck farley
5th January 2008, 21:32
Triumph Dealer in Wanganui?

Me ya great Jessy :spanking:

Bren
5th January 2008, 21:53
nice bike....looks resembly upright...so us old fellas wont feel too sore on it...rekon it would be a good buy if the price is right

McJim
5th January 2008, 22:39
No it doesn't.

Yes it does

Oh no it doesn't.........just need to be round

He's behind you! :rofl:

Funny how people had great experiences on 500cc and smaller bikes for decades and nowadays if it ain't a litre then it aint enough.

Bike would be fun with a 400cc engine in it.

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 22:40
Me ya great Jessy :spanking:

Sorry, my long distance telepathic powers failed me.

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 22:42
He's behind you! :rofl:

Funny how people had great experiences on 500cc and smaller bikes for decades and nowadays if it ain't a litre then it aint enough.

Bike would be fun with a 400cc engine in it.

It's ridiculous actually. Fanged over to the Wairarapa after work on Thursday and back again to work on the Katana 400 the next morning. Just as much fun as the 750.

huck farley
6th January 2008, 08:01
It's ridiculous actually. Fanged over to the Wairarapa after work on Thursday and back again to work on the Katana 400 the next morning. Just as much fun as the 750.

Jim mate the question was how do you think they will sell not only in NZ (we are only a pebble on the beach in terms of a biker population) but all around the world? I guess they will be targeting the USA and Europe, where the commuter market is huge.

A bit of useless information I sourced was that Triumph Australasia sold more non Japanese bikes than BMW and Harley Davidson, for the first time ever in 2006/2007.
So they must be doing something right. (to my surprise) Because Triumph NZ SUX. (I speak from experience re the last sentence) But my Triumph dealer Anza Motorcycles in Palmerston North, I have nothing but praise for!!!!

Kickaha
6th January 2008, 08:12

And it can't be more than 3-4 years old

James Deuce
6th January 2008, 10:13
Jim mate the question was how do you think they will sell not only in NZ (we are only a pebble on the beach in terms of a biker population) but all around the world? I guess they will be targeting the USA and Europe, where the commuter market is huge.

A bit of useless information I sourced was that Triumph Australasia sold more non Japanese bikes than BMW and Harley Davidson, for the first time ever in 2006/2007.
So they must be doing something right. (to my surprise) Because Triumph NZ SUX. (I speak from experience re the last sentence) But my Triumph dealer Anza Motorcycles in Palmerston North, I have nothing but praise for!!!!I've already answered.

AllanB
6th January 2008, 11:58
Originally Posted by McJim

Buy a Triumph Bonnie - 66bhp
Scrambler - 56bhp
America - 54bhp

Then you can have fun on a big gutless bike.

I'd be seriously interested in a Bonnie if they were around 80hp, with a big mid-range kick. I was bitterly disappointed in the lack of engine progress when I test rode the new ones three years ago - I got back on my (then) 23 year old Kawasaki 750 4-stroke twin (55 bhp) and engine wise it was ditto. The sales man said they don't leak oil anymore.....I pointed to my old Kawasaki and said this never has either!

I see Thunderbike in Nelson get a good 15 plus more bhp out of them easily.

gav
6th January 2008, 19:44
How well does the DL650 VStrom sell? Think its pretty popular isn't it? Think the lil tigerette would do as well if not better?

Hitcher
7th January 2008, 10:25
The 650 class is the new black. It's great to see a range of bikes on offer other than those squitty little sprotsbike things.

I guess a trip to Palmerston North may be required for a test ride. And a coffee...

James Deuce
7th January 2008, 10:33
Can I come too? :)

limbimtimwim
7th January 2008, 12:25
You guys are making a sport out of test riding bikes.

Hitcher
7th January 2008, 12:58
You guys are making a sport out of test riding bikes.

I see it as more of a "calling" than a "sport".

007XX
7th January 2008, 13:40
I reckon she'll be a hit all of her own...a lot of women I know would love a lovely tourer like that, but the 1050 proves to be a bit threatening for the more (in general) vertically challenged fairer sex...

That bike looks hot and if it is as comfortable as the 1050, then I say "heck yeah". Triumph is reaping the rewards of a similar attitude with the 675 Daytona and the :love:Street Triple:love:, so I don't see why this one should fail to please...

James Deuce
7th January 2008, 14:01
I reckon she'll be a hit all of her own...a lot of women I know would love a lovely tourer like that, but the 1050 proves to be a bit threatening for the more (in general) vertically challenged fairer sex...

Average height blokes are vertically challenged when it comes to bikes like the 1050 Tiger and Buell Ulysses.

007XX
7th January 2008, 14:07
Average height blokes are vertically challenged when it comes to bikes like the 1050 Tiger and Buell Ulysses.

Indeed, but I thought I'd get shot by saying that...:p Better coming from you me thinks! :laugh:

I'm going to get in serious trouble with my other half. He is trying not to change bike (again), but he has a huge soft spot for the Tiger, as he used to own one. His only complaint: she was a bit tall even though he is 5.9"...

I have just sent him a link of this little gorgeous thing, so I presume I'll get a whack behind the head when I get home :devil2: :laugh:

xwhatsit
7th January 2008, 14:12
so I presume I'll get a whack behind the head when I get home :devil2: :laugh:

Australia says No.

650 class? What difference does 50cc make?

What happened to all the 500s? That would be a class worth reviving.

crazybigal
7th January 2008, 14:14
i re read i have taken it back.
dont mind me

007XX
7th January 2008, 14:18
Australia says No.

650 class? What difference does 50cc make?

What happened to all the 500s? That would be a class worth reviving.

Eeerrr...We're not in Australia.;)

007XY has owned 3 Triumphs since I met him, and we have had nothing but praise for them.

I guess it's another of these situation where you are either a fan or not. :D

Personally, I am very intent on a Street Triple when I get my full.

Maha
7th January 2008, 14:28
I guess it's another of these situation where you are either a fan or not. :D

Personally, I am very intent on a Street Triple when I get my full.

Im a fan im a fan!.....:banana:
Street Triple Junkie aye?....Welcome back V...we have missed ya...:niceone:

xwhatsit
7th January 2008, 14:33
Eeerrr...We're not in Australia.;)

Sorry. Ad campaign; `Violence against women: Australia says No.' :shifty:

How the hell do you use 1050cc of horsepower on the gravel anyway?

James Deuce
7th January 2008, 14:36
Oi've just done a budget.

007XX
7th January 2008, 14:47
Im a fan im a fan!.....:banana:
Street Triple Junkie aye?....Welcome back V...we have missed ya...:niceone:

Aaawwww Hiya Buddy...I missed you guys too :love::love::love: you wife over the groping I gave her yet? I got plenty more where that came from :p :laugh:

That's a good point. However, have you ever taken a Tiger for a spin (and no, not by the tail :innocent:)??

This bike has the true spirit of an all terrain tourer...comfortable for both the rider and the pillion, very gentle power delivery in the lower range but don't let it fool you, as there is plenty of boogie in the higher range...

Hubby and I were dead set on not trading bikes when we had the Daytona, but a test ride of what was supposed to be an hour turned into 4 hours and still we didn't want to hop off...

huck farley
7th January 2008, 23:20
Sorry. Ad campaign; `Violence against women: Australia says No.' :shifty:

Very carefully!!!

huck farley
8th January 2008, 06:18
Originally Posted by McJim

Buy a Triumph Bonnie - 66bhp
Scrambler - 56bhp
America - 54bhp

Then you can have fun on a big gutless bike.

I'd be seriously interested in a Bonnie if they were around 80hp, with a big mid-range kick. I was bitterly disappointed in the lack of engine progress when I test rode the new ones three years ago - I got back on my (then) 23 year old Kawasaki 750 4-stroke twin (55 bhp) and engine wise it was ditto. The sales man said they don't leak oil anymore.....I pointed to my old Kawasaki and said this never has either!

I see Thunderbike in Nelson get a good 15 plus more bhp out of them easily.

If you want that sort of power go for a triple the daytona 675 motor puts out a hundred ponies

Taz
8th January 2008, 19:08

You regulate it with your right hand/wrist.