PDA

View Full Version : Speed Camera - Oh Shit!

madbikeboy
5th January 2008, 13:17
Boys and girls,

I got my first ever speed camera ticket through the post today. 109 in an 80, $230 towards Uncle Helen's Nazi party. Apparently got snapped from the other side of the road (think about it), first time I've ever gotten a speeding ticket without a Government representative wearing blue in attendance.

Location was on the approach to the harbour bridge, 8.00 am on a Sunday morning. I actually remember that day with some clarity, there was very little traffic...

Started riding on the road in 198? something? 1 ticket in 20 odd years is pretty good.

I'm going to write in and get the photo - it'll look lovely in a frame on the wall, just hope I wasn't scratching my arse or something...

PrincessBandit
5th January 2008, 13:26
yeah, only one Ive had in 28 years of driving sneaked in the mail to me (about a year ago) and I had no idea i'd been snapped. I kinda figured that in all those years, and with the other occasions i know i've been snapped (evidenced by the lovely big nighttime flash - no, not by me...) that i just consider myself lucky it's all i've had. So, good on you for taking so long.
ps is it possible to scratch your arse on a bike at 109kph?:laugh:

Ixion
5th January 2008, 13:27
Interesting thought on speed cameras.

The gubbermint have announced that fines for speeding offences are to be reduced and demerits increased.

But speed cameras don't have demerits. And the gubbermint CLAIM they are not going to change this.

So that would imply that speed cameras will become less useful as a police tool, and we may see less of them ? Actually I don't very often see them at all nowdays. And all the fixed ones seem to be broken.

Or will the police use that as an excuse to claim that speed cameras have to have demerits ?

Boob Johnson
5th January 2008, 13:31
is it possible to scratch your arse on a bike at 109kph?:laugh:
Yes

So ive heard :innocent:

BASS-TREBLE
5th January 2008, 13:32
Sorry to hear that.
Next time you could try this.

judecatmad
5th January 2008, 13:52
Apparently got snapped from the other side of the road

If you got snapped from the other side of the road by a fixed camera, you must have been travelling towards it, right? So if you were on your bike, how come they managed to find you given the absence of licence plate on the front of said bike?

*so confused*

sAsLEX
5th January 2008, 13:56
If you got snapped from the other side of the road by a fixed camera, you must have been travelling towards it, right? So if you were on your bike, how come they managed to find you given the absence of licence plate on the front of said bike?

*so confused*

No if it on the other side of the road it photographs you from the rear

erix
5th January 2008, 14:39
Sorry to hear that.

Love the idea! :laugh:

Shit, I always do 100-110 on the harbour bridge...never get caught...:devil2:

Jorja
5th January 2008, 15:01
you would have a bloody sore leg riding like that all the time.

homer
5th January 2008, 15:57
No if it on the other side of the road it photographs you from the rear

Yes i wondered this my self

Maybe a REALLY GOOD idea to get the pic

No pic no ticket ......or if theres a car in the pic as well ....no ticket

DEATH_INC.
5th January 2008, 16:02
Boys and girls,

I got my first ever speed camera ticket through the post today. 109 in an 80,
You bloody lunatic! Don't you know you could have Killed somebody riding like that???!!!

sAsLEX
5th January 2008, 16:24
You bloody lunatic! Don't you know you could have Killed somebody riding like that???!!!

most other countries in the world would be abhorred at the horrendously high speed limits we have on our motorways.........

davereid
5th January 2008, 16:29
Easy Fix.

Buy TWO of the LCD welding helmets that allow you to see what you are doing, but instantly go dark when you strike an arc.

Use the LCD panels to cover about 1/2 of your number plate each.

Use a simple oscillator to turn one LCD dark at a time. ie one half of your plate is always blacked out.

If you switch at (say) 30 hz, the human eye will see your plate normally, due to persistance of vision.

However, your number plate cannot be photographed unless the camera has an open shutter time of twice your on/off cycle time.

And at 30hz, thats 1/15 of a second, by which time your bike has moved around 1m at the 50kph speed limit. ie blurred unreadable photo.

Its an easy way of turning speed cameras off, no need to burn 'em with an old tyre.

Easy, cheap, effective, might even be legal !

Swoop
5th January 2008, 16:43
And all the fixed ones seem to be broken.
Those that are working must be out west then.

rwh
5th January 2008, 16:47
Easy Fix.

Buy TWO of the LCD welding helmets that allow you to see what you are doing, but instantly go dark when you strike an arc.

Use a simple oscillator to turn one LCD dark at a time. ie one half of your plate is always blacked out.

If you switch at (say) 30 hz, the human eye will see your plate normally, due to persistance of vision.

However, your number plate cannot be photographed unless the camera has an open shutter time of twice your on/off cycle time.

And at 30hz, thats 1/15 of a second, by which time your bike has moved around 1m at the 50kph speed limit. ie blurred unreadable photo.

Its an easy way of turning speed cameras off, no need to burn 'em with an old tyre.

Ingenious. Until you get the other half of your plate snapped by the next camera, and they match it up with the photo they pinned up on the wall from last time ...

And I doubt it's legal.

Simpler to ride fast enough that the picture is blurred at whatever shutter speed they do use ...

Richard

davereid
5th January 2008, 16:53
lol.. good idea.. buts thats what the flash is for ! (about 1/10,000 of a sec duration). You would still be in focus in a Mig29 at Mach 2.

sAsLEX
5th January 2008, 16:53
Simpler to ride fast enough that the picture is blurred at whatever shutter speed they do use ...

Richard

Look at some pf the photos from Wanganui, Sherriffs was going as fast as you can on a street and there are some fantastic shots of him in perfect clarity!

davereid
5th January 2008, 16:58
Most cameras use a "moving shutter - curtain approach". That means different parts of the film are exposed at different times. So, even with a fast "flash", the shutter of the camera will be open for much longer. Its called the flash synch speed. In virtually all modern cameras it is 1/60th to 1/120th of a second, making the LCD idea very effective.

sprag
5th January 2008, 16:59
was going out this morning and had to go over the bridge, the white van was there just past all the road works (heading south over the bridge) i was doing about 95 at the time but no number plate at the front so should be fine, this was about 9.30 this morning.

Only reason why they sit there is because they know people dont do 80 till they hit the bridge.
So easy money for them

Sanx
5th January 2008, 20:53
was going out this morning and had to go over the bridge, the white van was there just past all the road works (heading south over the bridge) i was doing about 95 at the time but no number plate at the front so should be fine, this was about 9.30 this morning.

Probably got snapped in the cage by that one this morning, unfortunately. Was doing 100ish, but plenty of other cars in the frame.

Only reason why they sit there is because they know people dont do 80 till they hit the bridge.
So easy money for them

There are people that slow down for the bridge? Interesting...

TOTO
5th January 2008, 22:50
I still havent't had my bike speed camera fine but I think I may have accidentally been snapped from the front on Onewa Rd. a week ago :)

Has anyone actually tried the LED on PLATE idea or is it still just an idea and not tested ?

There is a white or red van on the lead out to the bridge northbound just after the 80Km/h sign when coming up from the second to last on-ramp to the bridge. its there every 2-nd weekend. been doing that root dayly for 2 years now, its there with + - 1 week difference sometimes.

xwhatsit
6th January 2008, 00:34

So easy money for them

Yes, before Christmas there were a couple of bikes with radar guns in the same spot. Was doing 75-80kph (the limit) in the middle lane, pulled out into the rightmost lane (speed limit changes to 100kph further up the road) and grabbed some throttle to keep up with lane speed, 90-95kph. Saw the bike cops and shat myself, watched them in my mirror as they leaned in to talk to each other and watch my bike ride off. Never got a ticket in the mail. Probably were surprised to see a CB250RS go that quick (or maybe they were admiring the new fork gaiters). Might've been the two bike cops who were racing down the same motorway (wasn't it?) at high speed :laugh:

They would've been sending off a fair few tickets that day. It used to be 100kph there but with the road works it's down to 80kph -- why I don't know, they're all protected behind massive concrete barriers, and it's not like they're running across four/five lanes of motorway traffic, there's overbridges for that. It has effects on bridge congestion too, by not opening up the limit earlier. Might be some OSH thing.

fredie
6th January 2008, 01:09
Easy Fix.

yes u put this on your plate . but which way faceing out or in :mobile::niceone:

awayatc
6th January 2008, 01:20
Easy Fix.

:2thumbsup What an unbelievable clever idea.....I don't know if it realy works, but it would be worth a try just to find out.....:soon:

skidMark
6th January 2008, 05:37
Boys and girls,

I got my first ever speed camera ticket through the post today. 109 in an 80, $230 towards Uncle Helen's Nazi party. Apparently got snapped from the other side of the road (think about it), first time I've ever gotten a speeding ticket without a Government representative wearing blue in attendance.

Location was on the approach to the harbour bridge, 8.00 am on a Sunday morning. I actually remember that day with some clarity, there was very little traffic...

Started riding on the road in 198? something? 1 ticket in 20 odd years is pretty good.

I'm going to write in and get the photo - it'll look lovely in a frame on the wall, just hope I wasn't scratching my arse or something...

i'm sorry can you see whose driving?

could be anybody...hes got a helmet on.....

it aint me....

honest. :cool:

and thus u save urself 230 bucks

skidMark
6th January 2008, 05:39
Sorry to hear that.

wherd u get a pic of me from? :Pokey:

oh no hang on....

the bikes upright and hes still on it...can't be me

skidMark
6th January 2008, 05:46
Easy Fix.
blah blah blah....i know wayyyy too much...i needa ride my bike more blah blah blah....

In the quiet words of the virgin mary, come again?

danchop
6th January 2008, 07:43
i still dont get how you got snapped on a bike cause the camera would have to be on the other side and cant fiquire it getting a good view of plates over the barriers?the 80kmh limit is permanent and goes right through until the newmarket overbridge

EnzoYug
6th January 2008, 09:23
Sorry to hear that.

ha ha ha ha - fuckin' brilliant!

EnzoYug
6th January 2008, 09:25
most other countries in the world would be abhorred at the horrendously high speed limits we have on our motorways.........

except Germany...

EnzoYug
6th January 2008, 09:33
i'm sorry can you see whose driving?

could be anybody...hes got a helmet on.....
it aint me....
honest. :cool:
and thus u save urself 230 bucks

It sucks but according the the police infringement bureau (or whatever it's called) as the registered owner of the vehicle you're responsible for proving who the driver/rider is otherwise YOU pay the fine. I know I've had TWO tickets within two weeks of each other.

Guilty until proven innocent. Sucks eh?

madbikeboy
6th January 2008, 09:41
It sucks but according the the police infringement bureau (or whatever it's called) as the registered owner of the vehicle you're responsible for proving who the driver/rider is otherwise YOU pay the fine. I know I've had TWO tickets within two weeks of each other.

It's a logical rule, whoever owns a vehicle should have control of it, and unless they can name who was riding (assuming the bike didn't go for a little jaunt all by itself), then the registered owner is liable.

EnzoYug
6th January 2008, 09:47
Yeah well - I'm not arguing with it. You get snapped, you try get out of the fine as best you can - you fail - you pay.

(or you don't pay and add it on to your student loan)

I don't let anyone ride my bike but me, and my brother. There's almost no-one I trust enough to hand of the keys to. So yeah - cage or bike - it's a fair assumption to say that if the car wasn't stolen, you should know the person who got the fine - take it up with them.

madbikeboy
6th January 2008, 09:50
yeah, only one Ive had in 28 years of driving sneaked in the mail to me (about a year ago) and I had no idea i'd been snapped. I kinda figured that in all those years, and with the other occasions i know i've been snapped (evidenced by the lovely big nighttime flash - no, not by me...) that i just consider myself lucky it's all i've had. So, good on you for taking so long.
ps is it possible to scratch your arse on a bike at 109kph?:laugh:

I'm far too gentlemanly to actually scratch my ass in public. To be really honest, when I first opened it I thought it read 190... My jaw dropped, I had that awful feeling in my stomach, then I re-read it and realised it was 109 km/h. Happiness in comparison.

I've been trying to compose the letter which I'll attach for the photo request.
"dear sir/madam,

would you be kind enough to send me a copy of the photo - is it possible to get larger sizes, perhaps posters - I'd like to display the photo in a frame next to my Masters Degree and photo of me butt naked, drunk on the floor. Also, can you place one of your mobile cameras on state highway 16, perhaps near that tight bend that leads to that big sweeper, it's just that I'd love to have a photo of me doing a wheelstand as I accelerate...

Kind regards, Madbikeboy"

Whatdoyareckon???

madbikeboy
6th January 2008, 09:58
Yeah well - I'm not arguing with it. You get snapped, you try get out of the fine as best you can - you fail - you pay.

(or you don't pay and add it on to your student loan)

I don't let anyone ride my bike but me, and my brother. There's almost no-one I trust enough to hand of the keys to. So yeah - cage or bike - it's a fair assumption to say that if the car wasn't stolen, you should know the person who got the fine - take it up with them.

I don't share bikes or girlfriends... Everyone stays friends longer...

A lot of the law comes from old fashioned English common law, and it kind of makes sense. For example, RUC (diesel) charges are levied based on the weight, and the damage the vehicle makes to the road (larger vehicle, more damage, more cost). The principle comes from old horse drawn carts. Did you know that we drive on the left hand side of the road because of horses? In days of old when knights were bold, knights would pass other knights with their sword hand uncovered - usually their right - so we still pass on the left based on that. Did you know that a lane is two horse widths wide?

Perhaps this is the reason I don't get laid so much... At least I'm useful at pub quizzes... :Punk:

slopster
6th January 2008, 10:01
Interesting thought on speed cameras.

So that would imply that speed cameras will become less useful as a police tool, and we may see less of them ? Actually I don't very often see them at all nowdays. And all the fixed ones seem to be broken.

Or will the police use that as an excuse to claim that speed cameras have to have demerits ?

I've seen heaps of them on SH2 lately. Went from Auck to Tauranga and back last week and saw 8 of them. Even saw 2 of them about 500m apart. Saw a few of them on my way to Welly and back the other day also.

Forest
6th January 2008, 17:14
I don't share bikes or girlfriends... Everyone stays friends longer...

A lot of the law comes from old fashioned English common law, and it kind of makes sense. For example, RUC (diesel) charges are levied based on the weight, and the damage the vehicle makes to the road (larger vehicle, more damage, more cost). The principle comes from old horse drawn carts. Did you know that we drive on the left hand side of the road because of horses? In days of old when knights were bold, knights would pass other knights with their sword hand uncovered - usually their right - so we still pass on the left based on that. Did you know that a lane is two horse widths wide?

Perhaps this is the reason I don't get laid so much... At least I'm useful at pub quizzes... :Punk:

I heard that RUC are levied because the National Party was too weak to stand up to the farming lobby (who use Diesel for their farm equipment and therefore didn't want to pay a road-related taxes on their farming related fuel consumption).

Jantar
6th January 2008, 17:36
...the farming lobby (who use Diesel for their farm equipment and therefore didn't want to pay a road-related taxes on their farming related fuel consumption).
And the problem there is? I don't understand why road taxes should be levied on machinery that is never destined to be on the road.

Daffyd
6th January 2008, 19:41
And the problem there is? I don't understand why road taxes should be levied on machinery that is never destined to be on the road.

What about the contractors who crawl along country roads with balers, utes, etc in tow at 20km/h? They should be paying road tax. they're a bloody menace. I caught up with one that pulled on to the road just ahead of me and got showered with mud off the wheels. Bloody near smashed my screen.
Luckily I was in the cage, on the bike I'd prolly have had my head taken off.

sAsLEX
6th January 2008, 19:48
What about the contractors who crawl along country roads with balers, utes, etc in tow at 20km/h? They should be paying road tax. they're a bloody menace. I caught up with one that pulled on to the road just ahead of me and got showered with mud off the wheels. Bloody near smashed my screen.
Luckily I was in the cage, on the bike I'd prolly have had my head taken off.

So you saw the hazard and didn't react? They travel small distances on the road and are the basis for our economy HTFU.

xwhatsit
6th January 2008, 21:56
i still dont get how you got snapped on a bike cause the camera would have to be on the other side and cant fiquire it getting a good view of plates over the barriers?the 80kmh limit is permanent and goes right through until the newmarket overbridge

Easy. The camera on the other side of the road was pointed towards traffic coming towards it on its side of the road. So it sees your numberplate after you've gone past it.

I'm talking about going North over the Harbour Bridge. Used to hit 100kph not too long after `landing'.

more_fasterer
7th January 2008, 10:21

I saw the camera van in a sneaky new location the other day, going southbound on the harbour bridge approach it was located in the median by the elephant house, with the nose of the van facing the traffic. So it would photograph only southbound traffic, from the rear.

Bastards.

slopster
7th January 2008, 15:53

No thats wrong if you look on the back of the notice it says you have a complete defence if:
You gave the enforcement authority a statutory declaration-
Establishing that you could not identify the driver after taking all reasonable steps to do so.

You could probably say that you were going for a ride that day with ten of your mates, provide all their names, and say that you changed bikes at every pub and you dont know who was riding at the time. And tell them all to back that story up but say they weren't speeding.

Probably wouldn't be worth the effort though!

Daffyd
7th January 2008, 19:23
So you saw the hazard and didn't react? They travel small distances on the road and are the basis for our economy HTFU.

I saw the hazard and DID react. If I hadn't, I would have been spread all over the back of the ute in tow. The bastard deliberately pulled out in front of me!
So you are saying because they are the basis of our economy that they can ignore all road rules and common sense and ride roughshod over smaller vehicles? I disagree.

madbikeboy
7th January 2008, 21:02
I saw the hazard and DID react. If I hadn't, I would have been spread all over the back of the ute in tow. The bastard deliberately pulled out in front of me!
So you are saying because they are the basis of our economy that they can ignore all road rules and common sense and ride roughshod over smaller vehicles? I disagree.

Farmers and the ecomony - did you know that agriculture is responsible for 49% of our CO2 emissions, and yet they escape being taxed for some years (2013?), whereas our humble petrol bills will increase by 5 cents a litre almost immediately. Life is so hard for our farmers, large payouts from Fonterra, subsidies, protectionism - shit, they'll be hard done by next year, might have to settle for the Facon Ghia instead of the usual new fairmont...

fredie
15th January 2008, 22:33
yes u put this on your plate . but which way faceing out or in :mobile::niceone:

hello peeps .please help :argue::weep:

Speedracer
25th January 2008, 22:53
Easy Fix.

LCD Welding helmets $75-120ea on tardme
Valentine radar detector $450 on tardme

V1 is a boring suggestion but it picks up camera vans with plenty of warning every time. Of course may not be legal soon. I have the feeling a cop might bust you for a dark numberplate (it will be half as bright on average) either that or you will get a lot of attention cos 30hz is slow enough to be annoying if it's going from full white to full black.

Another idea I've seen is privacy glass... Bonus is because it blurs rather than darkens, no one will realise it's there unless they get close. Maybe hook it onto a radar detector?
would be expensive but effective!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS1eW3QlaQM

YellowDog
25th January 2008, 22:58
Hard luck.

I had the same fine on the Onewa Road. I was doing 77 in a 50 limit. Can't really afford it.

Makes Coleman's service prices seem reasonable.

RT527
25th January 2008, 23:23
Yup I got pinged just North Of Tokoroa...Doing 95 in the truck...came through the passing lanes at 90, over crest of hill roll down other side gaining a little momentum enough to get me to 95, camera on other side of road, activates it as I go past....30 $ later.....you got to wonder at the mentality of fuctards not using their discretion if he had another look he would have seen me continue on at 85 as there was a smallish hill coming up, was getting the roll on so as not to hold up traffic too much for the hill...
In fact all our trucks are speed limited to 93 kmph. my work trucks that is not the big red trucks, they still go 118 flat out.

Lucy
26th January 2008, 02:49
I've seen heaps of them on SH2 lately. Went from Auck to Tauranga and back last week and saw 8 of them. Even saw 2 of them about 500m apart. Saw a few of them on my way to Welly and back the other day also.

I always used to wonder why they didn't put two close together, to catch the people who sped up after the first one (having slowed for it because of people flashing lights at them). Maybe they finally wised up?

The red van that hung around Ohakune all last winter had a number plate starting with ATM. I bet they laughed like drains when they got that one.

Jiminy
26th January 2008, 15:02
Hey, have you checked that video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_e2BC_kXis&NR=1

I like the spray idea...

Delphinus
26th January 2008, 16:21
skidMark and EnzoYug... please learn to multiquote :)

sAsLEX
26th January 2008, 16:28
skidMark and EnzoYug... please learn to multiquote :)

You are fighting a loosing battle there with SM I am sorry.