PDA

View Full Version : What's around the corner???

Usarka
5th January 2008, 14:17
...on Thursday for me it was a rural post delivery guy heading my way on my side of the road.

What is around that corner????

skidMark
5th January 2008, 14:22
ive heard of guys plowing into cows etc.... came round a corner on kaiaua road once to a big row up of cars because farmer brown was moving his sheep.

closest ive ever come was on the thursday night ride came over a rise of a hill and crashe had decided it would be wise to stop on the main road so nobody would miss the turn...even though a pointer was already there.

came over the rise doing 100 and something. and theres crashe right infront of me....stopped....in the middle of the road.

what followed was fuckkkkkkk

brakeeee ....swerve....

turn around and come back

Never underestimate the predicatability of stupidity.

smoky
5th January 2008, 14:29
Went for a ride after work last night - to Arapuni, thru Te Awamutu to Raglan, on the way home going fairly hard around a bend on the divi, there was a large green Jag heading towards me, he had run wide the previouse corner.
right in fron of me on the wrong side of the road heading toward me, I had to suddenly change my line, tighten up and almost ride in the weeds on the left to aviode a head on. Scarey

skidMark
5th January 2008, 14:37
Went for a ride after work last night - to Arapuni, thru Te Awamutu to Raglan, on the way home going fairly hard around a bend on the divi, there was a large green Jag heading towards me, he had run wide the previouse corner.
right in fron of me on the wrong side of the road heading toward me, I had to suddenly change my line, tighten up and almost ride in the weeds on the left to aviode a head on. Scarey

you win......:doh:

Disco Dan
5th January 2008, 14:39
ive heard of guys plowing into cows etc....

You got to watch out for those talking cows.....

Dont "ride and shroom" kids.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAPrTDchVRk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dAPrTDchVRk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

smoky
5th January 2008, 14:47
Cold crisp winter morning about 6am, coming down state 26 (I think it is), past the turn off to Tahuna heading south is a long smooth bend - GSX 750 fully banked over, using the throttle to control the grip - tractor with a feed out wagon pulls out of a farm gate on my side of the road - truck coming from the opposite direction - no where to go.
stand the bike up and take my chances in the drain on the left hand side of the road, it was about 6 feet deep.
Cutting a track thru the blackberry and weeds, I actually over took the tractor while in the drain before coming to a stop. I can still see the farmer in the tractor looking down in utter amazement thinking 'where the ...... did he come from.

Jorja
5th January 2008, 14:59
came around a corner and had an Emu running straight at me. Was in a cage so possibly it doesn't count lol

99TLS
5th January 2008, 15:03
couple of weeks ago i was on tahuna- ohinewai rd ( approx 35 ks good twisties) was nicely cranking the TL went through nice long sweeping right hander into tight left onto straight and a lime truck had shit its load in the middle of this 1km straight, new the road was straight but could see through cloud hit anchors and did huge stoppie before i got to cloud, pulled over and waited about 10 mins for it to clear , was a tractor on the road after cloud cleared, could have been nasty :bye:

James Deuce
5th January 2008, 15:16
A KBer doing a U-Turn because he got taunted about reposts.

sAsLEX
5th January 2008, 15:19
A KBer doing a U-Turn because he got taunted about reposts.

I think he was on to thread merging at the time.....

sunhuntin
5th January 2008, 15:22
coming south on the paraparas... come up to a corner. note the sheep running like shit away from the fences... now, my bike does scare lambs, but never full grown sheep [specially not on a main road where they are used to traffic noise] so slow up a bit and take the corner carefully... to find two guys pushing a car out of the ditch. they pushed it on to the road basically right in front of me [and it was smokey as hell!]. haad to slow right down to allow them room before over taking.
im glad those sheep were there, otherwise it could have been very interesting. the car was a decent distance up the road, heaps of time to stop safely, but would still rather be forced to slow right down on my own time than stop without much warning.

Lucy
5th January 2008, 16:06
around the corner, which is why, in theory, we are all supposed to be able to stop in the clear road we can see ahead. Would mean a lot of really slow riding and driving though.....

Luckily I have a GN, so it's no problem for me!

RiderInBlack
15th January 2008, 06:47
Last Sunday leaving Matakohe Museum, Laava and I where having ta do catch-up as he had got lost in the Museum and the Use-less-lees had left without us. Coming around the bend, there ahead was a 4x4 looking like it was about to do a U-y. Beeped my horn, but the deaf old bugger just kept on turning. Now, because I had predicted and assumed that the silly old sod had not seen me and was going ta U-y, I had enough time to button off, brake and make my way behind him as he turned. Had I been hooning (I was going quickish) without any thought that there might be hazards like this in the road, I would have ended-up welding my bike into the side of his 4x4. Who would have been in the wrong? It would not have mattered as I would have been in Hospital or the Morgue.
Be careful out there Dudes and Dudettes.

DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

NighthawkNZ
15th January 2008, 06:56
...on Thursday for me it was a rural post delivery guy heading my way on my side of the road.

What is around that corner????

Usually another corner...

However I would personally report the postie

Number One
15th January 2008, 07:01
Usually another corner...

However I would personally report the postie

Agree with dat! Report the postie:nono:

BarBender
15th January 2008, 07:25
Personally? Animals seem to like me.
- A wild turkey
- A cow
- A cage with two horses on either side (driver and passenger holding the reins our of their respective windows)
- A wild pig

Non animals
- broken down car
- unsigned road works
- tractor
- truck with a long trailer taking a wide line
- cow shit, horse shit and the other general types of road related shit
- landslides

Been on rides where mates have gone down due to
- car turning into a driveway
- cages stopping for a row of ducks
- parked car on the side of the road with the driver trying to cross the road

spookytooth
15th January 2008, 09:00
biggest pants filler was all MY fault.Big long straight full throttle some nice person had remover the give way ahead sine the road coming on to the one i was on looked part of the straight and the bus looked like it was on the other side ended up having to shoot down the right hand side of it.The look on the faces of the ppl in it was almost worth a few more gray hairs though :)

F5 Dave
15th January 2008, 14:57
Lets all remember the

On laned road stop within distance visible. Unlaned 1/2 distance Visible.

This means able to stop. Many people can't because they have never practised emergency stops at the speed they travel. Many people are very average on the brakes (practice brings big improvements to most riders).

But sadly it means that many of us are travelling too fast on blind roads. You should have no excuse, for example binning for someone stopped to let ducks cross. Could have been kids. (I like ducks better). How would one feel if you had to stop & a car couldn't. A friend stopped at a pedestrian crossing & had a woman try to drive through him (& the kids on the crossing).

OK my grizzle :mad:is a Linfox double doofer truck on the Rimutukas, I had to emergency stop in the van (Its ok -I had the dirtbikes in the back) as he was half on the wrong side of the road. Truck was too big to make it around tight corner. Bastard things.

skidMark
15th January 2008, 15:16
ooo ooo ooo

on the auckland thursday night ride 9 times out of 10...

a bike in a ditch or a cop.....

the worst is coming around a corner and then it suddenly changes to a gravel road....

thats always fun....

sAsLEX
15th January 2008, 16:00
This means able to stop. Many people can't because they have never practised emergency stops at the speed they travel. Many people are very average on the brakes (practice brings big improvements to most riders).
\

Was practising this the other day from "ahem" the speed limit...... and was surprised at how quick the majority of the speed was wiping off, but still took a while for the last few kms to bleed off.

Oh and Taupo District Council can get fucked. I mean sure if you need to lay pea metal all over the road to counter tar bleeding at least sign the shit! Come up to a nice 35 corner, looks like the grippy lighter coloured tarmac..... :eek::eek: nope its loose gravel!

F5 Dave
15th January 2008, 16:05
Yeah that sucks & can take the fun out of sport riding. The blissful ignorance of the past is just a distant memory.

The sign is probably in some student flat bedroom as we speak.

Movistar
15th January 2008, 20:49
Still amazes me that Rural Post vehicles are not left hand drive.
I know there's legislation regarding LHD vehicles etc but these things surely are more dangerous travelling on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic!

discotex
16th January 2008, 19:38
Was practising this the other day from "ahem" the speed limit...... and was surprised at how quick the majority of the speed was wiping off, but still took a while for the last few kms to bleed off.

It's also surprising how fast that last few km/h actually can still be. Jumping on the brakes from 100+ I feel like I've stopped when I hit 30-40ish but there's a whole lot more stopping left to do if it was a real emergency.

The problem is it's hard to find a safe place to do 100->0 stops. The motorway isn't exactly ideal to stop on even at 3am. Need to find a disused runway or something.

sAsLEX
16th January 2008, 19:47
The problem is it's hard to find a safe place to do 100->0 stops. The motorway isn't exactly ideal to stop on even at 3am. Need to find a disused runway or something.

Just go and find a quiet country road. I was using SH1...... the South Island has its good points!

Gremlin
17th January 2008, 01:49
Around one corner, hidden by a bank... 3 cars that had stopped in the middle of our side one after another (not pulled over to the side)... they liked the scenery and wanted to have a look. I would have bashed them all to hell and gone if it wasn't for an entire learner ride coming up behind me, that wouldn't have known where to go.

Brand new seal... as in, covered in the loose shit. Found that at $1.30 (cruising for the corner) round a sweeping right hander... yeah, right wheel track to left wheel track in ... 0.01 secs, lost the front and rear, somehow managed to save it on the hard shoulder filled with marbles :shit: Scariest moment I have had yet.

While not amusing, puzzling at least... lose most of a ride, go back to look... find some, one is parked in the ditch... carry on, the rest head past me... sweet. Head back... and find that 2 more have joined the first. As far as I know, I never designated that a stopping point :weird:

cowpoos
17th January 2008, 07:03
Never underestimate the predicatability of stupidity.

UMmmmmmmmmmm....errr...nah...I can resist!! :calm:

Wooo Saaaa, Woooo Saaaa :whistle: