PDA

View Full Version : Phone Scam

SPman
8th August 2003, 18:00
Warning Email I received from BestFun, I think should be posted
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">1) ----- Original Message ----- <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">Subject: Warning re Telephone Deception <o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">This has been confirmed by Telstra: <o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 12pt"><B><SPAN style="COLOR: red">DO NOT push 90# on your home phone.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">Got a call last night from an individual identifying himself as an AT&amp;T Service technician who was conducting a test on our telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), hash (#) and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which allows them to place long distance telephone calls billed to your home phone number. I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many of the local jails/prisons.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 12pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. PLEASE pass this on to your friends.If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organisations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass this on.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">Liz Connal <o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">Queue Manager <o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: red">Auckland District Health Board <o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoBlockText style="MARGIN: 0cm 10.3pt 0pt 36pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">2)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hello everyone.&nbsp; This warning is for real.&nbsp; I rang Telecom and they verified it and asked me to pass it on to everyone in my address book.&nbsp; I suggest you do the same.&nbsp; Quote: "We are aware of the problem and are doing our best to address it" (whatever that means!!) <o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: blue; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">Cheers, </SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: blue; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt"></SPAN>&nbsp;
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 36pt 0pt">&nbsp;:argh:

figjam
8th August 2003, 22:44
"I don't think so Tim" For all my sins I work for Telecom and we had an internal memo saying it was crap. See http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2903&page=1&pagesize=10

bluninja
8th August 2003, 22:50
This email did the rounds last week. Has all the hallmarks of a hoax email.

TTFN

Andrew
9th August 2003, 00:54
and how does this relate to bikes?

Antallica
9th August 2003, 01:17
Originally posted by Andrew
and how does this relate to bikes?

*ahem*

Rave On

"Talk about any non-motorbike stuff here"

Andrew
9th August 2003, 01:31
Crap now I look dum :Oops:

Kwaka-Kid
9th August 2003, 07:16
more dumb then a monkey picking his bum, then proceeding to poke at it with his thumb.

:p

fergie
12th August 2003, 03:50
I wonder how many people actually did as the caller asked?

MrMelon
12th August 2003, 08:55
I had a few users e-mail this to me a couple of weeks ago, and spam half our department "warning" them about it.

I had to slap them with this:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/jailcall.htm

Big Dog
12th August 2003, 13:37
Genuine or a spam itself?

Who cares good on spman for posting this in the first place:niceone:

Antallica
12th August 2003, 18:53
w00t, happy b-day dude.

Ride it like you stole it! :D