PDA

View Full Version : For sale: rf900r

Macstar
7th January 2008, 02:07
Bike sold thank you.

Price reduced to $4450 to compensate for needed disc rotor replacement

It is with great sadness that I put my baby up for sale. I have been the owner of this bike for the last 25,000kms of which the majority of these K's have been touring / long distance. Two up is a pleasure and even with a passenger if you stick to 100kph you'll get a solid 20kms to the litre.

For those that don't know, the RF900 are an excellent sport/tourer that put out around 125 HP at the wheel and weigh just over 200kgs, making them a formidable sport bike but with the space and comfort of a tourer. The engines have a reputation for being bullet proof and this RF is mechanically sound, and blows no smoke, uses no oil or water and does not make any funny sounds. At 44,000 miles, by typical RF900 standards she's not even half way through her life yet!

I have spoilt her over the last 18 months/25000km with the following work:

Spark plugs, Forkseals, rear shock rebuild and rear spring, steering bearing, chain, battery, front and rear brakepads, rear brakebulb, grips and more. The oil has been changed every 2-3000 miles in my ownership (AND FILTER), radiator flushed twice, brakes and clutch bled bi-annually, chain lubed after every ride and it is run on 95-98 gas. I have receipts for most of this stuff by the way...

This baby also has a few aftermarket goodies:

Yoshi pipe (ORIGINAL EXHAUST, BRAKE LINES AND HANDLE BARS INCLUDED)
Braided brake lines
Aftermarket raised bars to improve ergos/comfort
Pack rack

You need to be aware of these things though:

The rear tyre has about 1000kms left in it, the front 2000kms and the rego and WOF expire mid Feb. (I have lowered my asking price to reflect this expense so that the new owner can get tyres of their choice).

Cosmetically the bike has the odd scrape and stone chip that you would expect for its age. I must also confess to dropping her on her right hand side. This occured at about walking speed on a steep muddy driveway and resulted in a tiny scratch to the Yoshi and scratches on the fin inserts of the right hand fairing and bar weight. I never saw the scratches as a major and left them.

A keen RF900 fan will recognise that the purple and silver featured on this bike was not a stock colour. The silver bits were previously yellow and I had them replaced about a year ago with a mixture of vinyal and paint. (Please note this was not the result of anything sinister like an accident, as the purple is the stock colour).

THANK YOU. ANY QUESTIONS JUST ASK - I'VE TRIED TO WRITE AS MUCH AS I CAN ABOUT THE BIKE!!

Colapop
7th January 2008, 08:35
WHY???? New bike or ... other...? (No need to give an actual reason BTW)

klyong82
7th January 2008, 10:49
He is getting a Honda.....

EJK
7th January 2008, 15:36
Aaahh it's a bike with some memories lol

You will miss it Issac lol

Macstar
7th January 2008, 16:18
I'm selling the Rf cause I landed a new job after 5 years of studying so kind of a reward to myself I guess.

A few people have PM'd me asking for photos of the cosmetic damage. These are attached below. Please note that the fourth photo in the original post is of the side that fell over and from 2 metres away you can't see the damage to put it in perspective.

I had the disc rotors measured this avo for their thickness as I didn't want to sell the bike without checking. Turns out all three discs are within .5-1.0mm of their minimum thicknesses. This probably represents a realistic touring lifespan of another 10-15000kms. I can get all three after market rotors brand new for $700 trade (usually $1000ish). I am therefore happy to knock another $500 off my asking price so $4450.

The chain and sprockets have more than half of their life left so no worries there. Brake pads would come new with the new disc rotors but have about 80% life left.

Thanks again - I believe in karma especially among the KB crew, so I am trying to be as honest as possible about this bike;)

klyong82
7th January 2008, 19:15
Aaahh it's a bike with some memories lol

You will miss it Issac lol

That's right plenty of great memories with the RF. Many touring km's with the mighty RF.

Phurrball
7th January 2008, 19:23
So do tell Isaac - whatcha getting?

Are you joining the AUSMC trend and getting a Honda?

I have many memories of this RF being parked near Law School on Eden cres, and being fascinated by the colour scheme. That will be such a sweet ride for someone :yes:

Macstar
7th January 2008, 19:35
So do tell Isaac - whatcha getting?

Are you joining the AUSMC trend and getting a Honda?

I have many memories of this RF being parked near Law School on Eden cres, and being fascinated by the colour scheme. That will be such a sweet ride for someone :yes:

Depends if I sell the KTM or not... So many bikes at the mo! I want to buy new though.

Phurrball
7th January 2008, 19:46
Depends if I sell the KTM or not... So many bikes at the mo! I want to buy new though.

Mmmmm....New....:drool:

I'm sure you'll have no shortage of help in your looking - I feel a bike-shop crawl coming on...

Squiggles
8th January 2008, 12:56
bet i can get new rotors for sub 500 all round :P

You get a honda and ill be the first to knock it over

klyong82
8th January 2008, 13:04
bet i can get new rotors for sub 500 all round :P

You get a honda and ill be the first to knock it over

Haha then you will start a Honda war :bash:. I managed to convinced Ewen to a Honda man and now Isaac.

Macstar
8th January 2008, 13:14
$500?! that's a deal mate! Are the rotors made of cheese?:niceone:

Anyone, RF is sooooooooooooooold (sold)! Thank you.

I need to put 1000kms on my new bike to break her in! Anyone want to do the Coro loop on Thursday?

Colapop
8th January 2008, 13:24
What is the new one?

Macstar
8th January 2008, 13:40
What is the new one?

Gimme a day to tell, I gotta surprise someone first (who's also on KB:shifty:)

Colapop
8th January 2008, 14:05
I'll expect to see a big fat "My new bike thread" :clap:

Macstar
8th January 2008, 14:09
P.S. Colapop if you still have your RF I have a seat, rear shock and original exhaust and brake lines left over... (but if I remember correctly I think you were trying to sell a whole bunch of parts a while back....)?

HungusMaximist
8th January 2008, 20:50
Far out, it sure sold quick!

Well, whoever is getting it, is getting a sweet as bike for sure!

*I know what you're getting :)

Macstar
8th January 2008, 22:27
Far out, it sure sold quick!

Well, whoever is getting it, is getting a sweet as bike for sure!

*I know what you're getting :)

It's all about realistic asking prices mate:niceone:

EJK
8th January 2008, 22:51
Damn! I'm too late! :doh:

klyong82
9th January 2008, 08:31

Mei has told me what bike it is. :gob:

Squiggles
9th January 2008, 09:28

Im hoping that means that actually it aint a honda, ill get back to aucks today and jump your fence if thats what it takes to know for sure