PDA

View Full Version : Wellington City motorcycle parking

mowgli
7th January 2008, 12:44
I was looking for some inner city riding practice and decided to do a survey of motorcycle parks. I'm sure I didn't get them all so please PM me the details of any others you find and I'll add them.

Click on the markers for the exact location. The numbers refer to the date it was last confirmed to exist.

<iframe src="http://www.quikmaps.com/ext2/53112?t=1&ln=0&sn=1&zb=0&d=1&o=0&lat=-41.2866428425807&lng=174.7792625427246&zl=14&mt=2" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="409" height="418" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>

James Deuce
7th January 2008, 13:54
"Outside Datacom in Able Smith Street" - Correct label is: Jim2 Memorial Bike Park

Slingshot
7th January 2008, 17:42
This could become a good entry in the FAQs under the heading Motorcycle Parking Places:
Link Here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/faq.php?faq=kb_faq#faq_new_faq_item_parking)

How about it Mods?

nudemetalz
7th January 2008, 17:52
Well, I can say there is going to be a couple of new bike parks in CBD this year. Still working on more though :)

mowgli
8th January 2008, 16:08
Would someone please comment/PM whether the James Smith's Carpark is still motorcycle friendly/free.

bull
8th January 2008, 16:32
Well i park in the James Smith Carpark daily including today and yes its Free and Bike Friendly, you must enter via the right hand lane(non card holders lane) as that is the only entry barrier that has been shortened for entry for bikes. You can exit either lane though as bikes can fit past both barriers.

You are allowed to park beneath the spiral that the cars come down. Lots of room under there too. KBer Cave Cleaner (Mike) is the maintenance man for the carpark and he reckons its pretty secure with surveillance etc, and i also seem to see Parkwise and Walkwise always walking through the area near the bikes so not alot of chances for someone dodgy to tutu with the bikes.

mowgli
19th February 2008, 08:46
There is one on Knigges Avenue, just off Vivian Street. It's been recently made bigger, which is great. It's quite full during the uni term, though.

Thanks for the map :)

Thanks Jiminy.

nudemetalz
19th February 2008, 09:21
***UPDATE***

From what I've just heard from the guys here, there is about to be quite a few more new bike parks here in CBD Welly.

However, the trade-off is there is likely to be charge for motorcycle parking in the future.

Apparently, there will be some sort of monthly coupon employed, attached to the number plate.
The charge has yet to be determined but sounds like it will be pretty insignificant.

Will tell more as I hear it.

NDMz

James Deuce
19th February 2008, 10:03
Tell them not to bother. Coupon parking is bollocks.

RnB Fan
19th February 2008, 11:00
This is the second time I've heard this "rumour" about charging for bike parking. I like FREE parking much more!!!!!

nudemetalz
19th February 2008, 11:20

It may be bollocks, but sounds like it's going to be more than just a rumour this time.

snuffles
19th February 2008, 11:22

good to see your still "happy go lucky Jim"

Badjelly
19th February 2008, 11:25
As other people who visit this site will have noticed, there's a strong libertarian streak amongst bikers. Libertarian means "I get to park my bike for free."

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 11:29
As other people who visit this site will have noticed, there's a strong libertarian streak amongst bikers. Libertarian means "I get to park my bike for free."

Oh, I read that as librarian..... As you were.

James Deuce
19th February 2008, 13:05
It may be bollocks, but sounds like it's going to be more than just a rumour this time.

If they won't let us park in multi-metered parks because of the possibility of the purchased parking coupon going missing, how do they rationalise any other form of external labelling? Are they going to tie it to registration?

My license plate already has a rego and WoF hanging off it, where am I supposed to put a parking coupon?

I most certainly don't park my bike for free but a minimum of 7 people use the park outside work every day. That's seven carparks free for other people to use. More bikes frees up more carparks. Making us pay will kill the scooter boom and create a need for more carparks.

James Deuce
19th February 2008, 13:06
good to see your still "happy go lucky Jim"

And you only pop into KB to make negative remarks about me.

Wally Simmonds
19th February 2008, 20:00
It's pretty crap down Lambton Quay way. The only place I can usually get a park is on the Terrace, and I hate parking there. Up Abel Smith you're usually pretty sweet - you can push those scooters over pretty easy, anyway.

RidingHard
19th February 2008, 20:08
you can push those scooters over pretty easy, anyway.

haha. James Smith is still biker friendly, I park there daily. Just keep your speed down (been yelled at before when late for work) and dont park in the middle; something WILL get split on your shiny bike!

They were issuing tickets to scooters a little while ago for parking on footpaths, but a uproar over it ended that quick enough. Fight for our right to park for free I reckon!

EXDUNK
19th February 2008, 20:11
The Lambton Mall escalator side bike park on The Terrace is where I am. I'm astonded that a truck/van/taxi or crazy cage (stupid speeds done on The Terrace) hasn't taken out any of our bikes/scoots. It's a cats whisker between the front tyre and the white line of the roads "edge". Only a matter of time I guess, or has it happened in the past?

PirateJafa
19th February 2008, 20:16
However, the trade-off is there is likely to be charge for motorcycle parking in the future.

Apparently, there will be some sort of monthly coupon employed, attached to the number plate.
The charge has yet to be determined but sounds like it will be pretty insignificant.

Because that'll work so well... "What's this? My coupon has run out? But on the other hand, there is this bike next to mine with a shiny new coupon..."

You'd need the coupons to have you number plate on 'em, but then what if you have multiple bikes? One coupon for each bike? Hardly fair?

A big "meh" at that idea. Still, it's not like I live in Wellington anymore, so no worries. :)

Number One
19th February 2008, 20:21
Because that'll work so well... "What's this? My coupon has run out? But on the other hand, there is this bike next to mine with a shiny new coupon..."

You'd need the coupons to have you number plate on 'em, but then what if you have multiple bikes? One coupon for each bike? Hardly fair?

A big "meh" at that idea. Still, it's not like I live in Wellington anymore, so no worries. :)

Yeah and let's not forget all the fair weather riders who might feel the need to get out on their bikes every day (not just the sunny ones) cos they paid for a hole month! :msn-wink: Nah good on you fair weather riders - you do your fing :niceone: :bleh:

mowgli
19th February 2008, 20:31
There's also a smallish bike park (10 or so bikes) at the end of Shell Lane (just off the Terrace, by entrance to big council carpark under the SH)

Added. Thanks Matt for bringing this back on topic :)

Drum
28th February 2008, 08:52
Thanks for the info Nudez, but i don't like the sound of it!

'Insignificant' parking charge in whose opinion? As one of the so called high income earners that the government feels the need to tax into the poor house, I have little left over for even an insignificant increase in outgoings.

Chill
28th February 2008, 10:09
Do bikes need residents permits to park in those areas in Wellington?

Coyote
28th February 2008, 10:10
I guess it'll be a better option to get a car then. People don't don't mind sitting in rush hour traffic so long as they've got the engine going to keep the radio and air conditioning on. Plus a car is less likely to be vandalised, sat on or pushed over (like to see some hoodlum try that).

Guess there's no children for me in the future, don't want to know that they'll die from pollution.

RidingHard
4th March 2008, 09:43
Do bikes need residents permits to park in those areas in Wellington?

No sir. Bikes don't need any permits to park in residents or coupons etc. As far as I know.....I've never been ticketed

Badjelly
28th May 2008, 07:59
Well i park in the James Smith Carpark daily including today and yes its Free and Bike Friendly, you must enter via the right hand lane (non card holders lane) as that is the only entry barrier that has been shortened for entry for bikes. You can exit either lane though as bikes can fit past both barriers.

You are allowed to park beneath the spiral that the cars come down. Lots of room under there too. KBer Cave Cleaner (Mike) is the maintenance man for the carpark and he reckons its pretty secure with surveillance etc, and i also seem to see Parkwise and Walkwise always walking through the area near the bikes so not a lot of chances for someone dodgy to tutu with the bikes.

Is this still true? I parked there last night while I went to Cats in the Opera House. I rode in, parked under the spiral with a few other bikes, and rode out again 4 hours later, no problems. But I see it's run by Tournament Parking and they have a reputation for not being friendly to anyone. So now I'm half expecting a knock on the door at 2 am and a couple of goons threatening to break my legs if I don't pay $500.

PS: Cats was very good.

captain_andrey
28th May 2008, 11:35
Whenever I need to park in town other then the place I live in, I park on Waring-Taylor st just next to the entrance to The Laptop Company. Its a little paved area that is also covered from the rain by the building itself. I used to work there so I know they are not going to call a tow truck on me :woohoo:

Nasty
28th May 2008, 12:26
Is this still true? I parked there last night while I went to Cats in the Opera House. I rode in, parked under the spiral with a few other bikes, and rode out again 4 hours later, no problems. But I see it's run by Tournament Parking and they have a reputation for not being friendly to anyone. So now I'm half expecting a knock on the door at 2 am and a couple of goons threatening to break my legs if I don't pay $500.

PS: Cats was very good.

This is still true ... Tournament has encouraged me to park my park there previously with no issues. :)

Badjelly
28th May 2008, 12:50
This is still true ... Tournament has encouraged me to park my park there previously with no issues. :)

Good to hear :niceone: