PDA

View Full Version : Motard riders, foot out???

MidnightMike
7th January 2008, 13:05
Ive been wondering about this for a while now, and just have to ask.

Is there any benefit in motard riders sticking their foot out when cornering, or does it just 'look cool'?

Seems asthough some riders do it, others dont.

Enlighten me.

Sully60
7th January 2008, 13:32
Have a look at some of the discussions on this thread:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=61155

Horses for courses, dressing to the occassion and all that.

sunhuntin
7th January 2008, 13:58
depending on the track, id say its for balance... after a few laps on the wanganui cem circuit dirt, it seemed like foot out was the only way to get around without dropping, since the stuff they used got so soft and boggy. [from a spectator point of view]

WRT
7th January 2008, 14:38
The guy in pic 2 can't stick it out at the moment as he's using it to hit the rear brake. He'd look damned odd with his left foot stuck out going round a right hander . . .

sAsLEX
7th January 2008, 14:45
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_TlbdnpXeqU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_TlbdnpXeqU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ewan Oozarmy
7th January 2008, 15:10
Ive been wondering about this for a while now, and just have to ask.

Is there any benefit in motard riders sticking their foot out when cornering, or does it just 'look cool'?

Seems asthough some riders do it, others dont...

Enlighten me.

It all depends on the surface/corner. It's all about getting your weight over the front wheel.

On the road knee down (feet on the pegs) is generally good. On an SM track then foot down is helpfull on the loose stuff. Sometimes.

pzkpfw
7th January 2008, 16:08
Yeah, I was watching it on T.V. last night and thought they all leaned "wrong" too... as in they leaned their bike over more and their body less.

Also something different about the way motards work?

EJK
7th January 2008, 16:10
What about knee down?

Yeah, Couple of weeks ago I was watching this Supermoto racing on Sky Sports. During a corner shot, most guys put their foot out, but then there was ONE who had his knee down :eek5:

I guess it doesn't matter knee or foot????

Ewan Oozarmy
7th January 2008, 16:20
Yeah, I was watching it on T.V. last night and thought they all leaned "wrong" too... as in they leaned their bike over more and their body less.

On the SM track it really is all about getting your weight to the front and keeping the back light for "backing in" and good traction on the front. That's why SM riders sit so far forward on the corners. Keeping your foot out/down can also help keep the light back end from getting away from you.

There's not real need for any of this when riding an SM bike on the road though so feet on the pegs is fine.

xwhatsit
7th January 2008, 20:08

I've heard that technique recommended when riding on dirt on a dirt bike. Lean the bike, keep rider upright. Perhaps it's a hangover from dirt riding?

Headbanger
7th January 2008, 20:17
Its to keep the rear wheel lose (the difference in leaning and body position) Completely different way of taking a corner, But the bike has to be built for it. Try it on your road bike and you will die.

Imo they have their foot down out of instinct as much as anything else, as its easy to lose the back-end and you can use your foot to save you (a little)

You will notice that many fast dirt bike riders on flat-tracks generally keep both feet on the pegs, and the throttle tapped....while those at the rear of the pack tend to have a foot out....Not that it will do squat.

quickbuck
7th January 2008, 20:21
I've heard that technique recommended when riding on dirt on a dirt bike. Lean the bike, keep rider upright. Perhaps it's a hangover from dirt riding?

No expert here, but that is the way I see it too.

The ex dirt boys will always ride foot out, and the reasons given above make sense.
The Tarmac boys would rather keep their feet on the pegs... it's a pride thing ;)

Well, actually I don't know if that is true, but personally even racing a scooter there is no way I put the foot out myself!
It may come from the fear of some nutter riding over it though...

C_A
7th January 2008, 20:21
I found it hard to stop putting a foot out. jsut residual dirt bike practice i guess.

limbimtimwim
7th January 2008, 20:48
It feels just feels right.

When I first got the DR-Z I was doing it everywhere, and I destroyed a pair of shoes in a month.

It's good when you ride through some paint on a corner in the wet and just lean on your foot a bit so when the bike slides you can hold it up.

I've stopped doing it now because of how much it was going to end up costing me in shoes. It's heaps of fun.

Ocean1
7th January 2008, 20:48

Yes, they're basically MX bikes, and that's how you get an MX bike turned, by steering with the back end. That means getting the bike down, sitting forward on the seat, hanging your inside foot up near the front axle, using engine braking or back brake to step the back out then throttle to hold it there.

I don't do very well on modern competition dirt bikes, I prefer the older, easier-tracking-geometry bikes.

DEATH_INC.
8th January 2008, 08:21
Yep, they work better that way.....the real reason for foot off is to keep it off the ground because of the leaning thing.....or offroad so it does'nt get ripped off the peg in ruts etc.....watch the real good riders and they don't actually put their foot down, they keep it up off the ground....