PDA

View Full Version : Information for those who are touring in the Waitaki Valley.

oldrider
7th January 2008, 16:44
Where to put this?

I am trying to assist those who might be touring in our area, so I guess this is the right forum.

The local service station and garage closed some time back but is now available for fuel only, 24hrs a day.

Yes 24 hour fuel by acceptable credit and eftpos cards to the maximum value of $100:00 each purchase.

The card system is the very latest but it is necessary to identify which pump you are going to use first and get ready to recieve your fuel.

Go to the payment station, insert and remove your card, then follow the instructions on the screen until it tells you it's ready for you to go get your fuel.

Once you have you fuel go back and insert and remove your card and wait for the printer to print out the details of your purchase, then you are finished.

The fuel station is located (approx) one mile East of the turn off to Benmore Power Station on highway 83. ( or before Otematata if you are traveling towards West)

I took some pics to help you identify where it is.

There is a constant stream of motorcyclists coming and going around the Aviemore / Benmore loop as indicated as part of route 45 in the Motorcycle Atlas, at all hours of the day.

There are also countless numbers of venture bike riders coming and going through the Black Forest road (Route 14 alternative) at all hours of the day too!

Hopefully this post will be of assistance to you in your planning or even in emergency circumstances, should you be in need!

I am always wondering, how many of these are Kiwi Bikers?

Pics below:
1) Benmore turnoff at Otematata.
2 & 3) Approaching the fuel station from Otematata. (the West)
4) Approaching the fuel station from the East.
5) The card station.
6) The fuel station and pumps.

White trash
7th January 2008, 16:52
What the hell's going on down there John? I remember Otematata as a nice little community with proper shops including a grocery store, toy store, a motorlodge and takeaways (run by my best mates parents), a decent(ish) pub and a petrol station run by people! I sure hope you guys still have a BMX track :O

oldrider
7th January 2008, 17:02
At Christmas, a new (food) shop and Cafe opened in the big grey old Electricity Corporation (NZED/ECNZ/ Electrocorp days) building.

It is located on the main road adjacent to the Benmore Power Station turnoff and between there and the Lakes Hotel. (on the Southern side of the road)

I have posted some pics:
1) Approaching from West.
2) From in front and also the other entrance off the main road.

Transit has very strict rules they like to impose on any new enterprise for notices and access etc.

Hope this is of some use or help to our travelling members. Cheers John.

oldrider
7th January 2008, 17:04
What the hell's going on down there John? I remember Otematata as a nice little community with proper shops including a grocery store, toy store, a motorlodge and takeaways (run by my best mates parents), a decent(ish) pub and a petrol station run by people! I sure hope you guys still have a BMX track :O

It's a changing world, ya just gotta go with it! :niceone: Cheers John.

Southern man
7th January 2008, 18:44
I was up that way on Sunday and had a bite to eat at the new cafe. Must say very nice and quite reasonable to. Looked at the fuel depot and thought it easier to fuel up in kurow on the way home. Graet weather back on the coast all cloudy.

TimeOut
7th January 2008, 20:21
Hi John

Did that trip on the 30th Dec great ride.

I think we meet you in Wanaka at Lobour Weekend Three of us parked on the waterfront, I think you were looking for your grandson.

Will have to catch up sometime and go for a ride.

Rodney