PDA

View Full Version : M109R - I think I get it.

Edbear
8th January 2008, 11:19
Well, well, well…! Can you really fall in love with an engine!!!!??? And front brakes??? And handling???

I took my much loved C50T into Bikesport in Helensville for its 6,000km service yesterday arvo having arranged with Matthew for a loaner bike to come home on.

The trip out was quick and easy, the Boulevard is running as sweet as a nut! I was in my element – swinging through the bends, squirting past slower traffic, relaxed and happy! Tooted at a couple of bikes on the side of the road nearing Hellensville, a V-Rod and a sprots bike, and arrived at Bikesport feeling on top of the world.

As I filled in the service sheet, I was wondering which bike Matthew might have for me, in my dreams I would have liked a Busa, but figured he probably had some old shop hack out the back… Anyway, he stepped around the counter and said, “I’ll get your bike out for you… You can take the 109”. I nearly dropped the pen!

Sure enough, he walked over to the white M109R in the window and wheeled it outside parking it beside the C50T.

I handed him the key to my bike and stood beside the white beast while putting on my helmet and gloves. With a slightly nervous movement I swung my leg over the seat and sat down as I pulled the bike up off the sidestand.

Two things became immediately apparent – the 109 was light to pick up, well balanced, as easy as the C50T. Second impression was the height and width of the seat. I got instant cramp in my groin as my legs were forced wider than was comfortable. As I sat down the hardness of the seat was noted, too. So mixed feelings and not all good. Next, I reached for the bars to check it was in neutral and found it was a longer stretch than my bike. I reached down for the key and fired the beast up. It started instantly and settled into a low throbbing idle.

The gearbox was a bit recalcitrant and baulky, another poor first impression, but finally after a bit of rocking back and forth it engaged and I let out the clutch easing away from the curb. This is where it started to make amends for the first impressions. With just a whiff of throttle I was already at the speed limit having changed up to second within a few metres. I snicked, okay, clunked, the box into third and idled up the hill to the rail overbridge. I’d already decided the best route for this bike, so turned right up the street to take me up onto Peake Road. I hadn’t gone over 2000rpm yet and the engine was like a locomotive, the merest whiff of throttle and the 109 surged forward like an unstoppable, powerful beast, hinting at the latent power and performance waiting to be unleashed.

The poor impressions continued though, the suspension was hard, the seat was hard and the long reach, (for me, anyway), to the bars was catching me between the shoulders the same as my old GSX-F600 did. The gearbox needed a “positive action”, it wasn’t as light and easy as my bike. (I didn’t even notice the clutch action which means it was light, easy and engaged smoothly, a nice clutch!) The bike tramlined along the road patches which took me by surprise at first, thinking I had a flat tyre.

I turned off Peake Road onto Taylor Rd. and proceeded to get lost, winding up, somehow, in Waimauku! Disappointed of course that I now had to take the long way home… The fuel light started flashing as I left Waimauku so I had to stop in Kumeu at the Shell station and stuck $10 in. But I get ahead of myself.

On Taylor Road, I adjusted my position on the seat, which while at first seeming hard, wasn’t becoming uncomfortable, and the more aggressive ride position meant I was getting more “assertive” in my approach to the corners. The bike was starting to “come together” and I found the handling and steering accurate and the front brakes absolutely outstanding! Feel and power, smooth and confidence inspiring! And that engine!!!! Awesome torque from any revs, any gear, any speed!!! I was beginning to understand this beast!

Leaving Kumeu I turned onto the Riverhead road and started to increase the revs and throttle to around 4,000rpm having barely broken 3k to now. A brief squirt to 6,000rpm and “Rocket City! Look out!!!” “Weehahhh!!!”

I got behind a Subaru wagon in a hurry on the Riverhead / Coatesville Road so decided to just follow him at a good pace. Figured if the HP were around he’d be my shield and hung back just enough. We weren’t going too fast, so doubt any patrol would have been too worried anyway. But the 109 was beginning to win me over. The power, the handling, the power, the brakes, the power…Did I mention the power…? At any revs, in any gear, I could just wind on the throttle and the big white “tank” would shake as the big 900cc pistons dug deep and the vibes increased briefly as the beast did its best to stretch my arms and thrust me towards the next corner like a Saturn rocket booster! At cruising speed the engine was smoother than the C50T and I didn’t even mind the lack of a fairing after a while. No helmet buffeting but I would need to wear earplugs again due to wind noise, which is of course negligible behind my bike’s screen.

I took a few pics along the way and when I got home. It kinda looks good in my gargre, eh? Bit heavy to foot around compared to my bike and I was sweating by the time I’d parked it.

So! Would I own one? After a lot of head scratching… Yes, dammit, I would! Would I have it in white? Yes, I would. Would I change anything on it? With the pillion seat this one has, maybe a back rest, otherwise no. Still not sure about longer trips compared to my C50T as my bike is great two up and on long trips, light and easy to ride and comfy. The M109R is a very different animal altogether, for a different purpose. It’s a genuine hotrod, all about style and power, with great brakes and good handling. I now “get” this bike and understand owners’ ravings. Shame, as my dear wife pointed out, that we cannot afford one at present! I believe she said something like, “No, you can’t have one!”

EJK
8th January 2008, 11:27
Wow......... Sell your car now ey? lol

Awesome bike and congratulations! :)

Her_C4
8th January 2008, 11:36
Great write up Edbear - thanks.

My friendly sportsbike rider companions think I jest, but actually I love the look of these beasts, so totally different to all the sportsbikes and other cruiser type bikes IMO.

First time I saw one I had to go and have a sit on it to see if I could handle it. As you say, despite the size, it is easy to pull off the stand, and although the seating is rather wide for my short legs, I could still touch down. I wondered about the seating position though, and with my short arms I could barely reach the bars/controls without sitting partly on the tank (MOST uncomfortable I assure you!).

It sounds like the power and handling is exactly what I imagined it to be... :2thumbsup

cowpoos
8th January 2008, 11:38
Nice write up dude!!! Dispite my love of Sportsbike [well mainly for racing these days] I almost got one of these!! fantastic bike...would be a awesome mile muncher!

limbimtimwim
8th January 2008, 11:43
I too was amazed and how such a large bike was so easy to ride.

Edbear
8th January 2008, 15:33
Couldn't agree more! Unfortunately, I now have to take it back and pick up my bike. So at 4:30pm, I'm off to Helensville... Weather is a bit off-putting at the mo. so it will be an interesting ride. I'll let you know how the return trip goes...

Movistar
8th January 2008, 15:46
These are a great bike. I had the pleasure of owning one for nearly 18 months. Having been a Sports bike rider all my life I thought I would take a different approach and purchased a black M109, really enjoyed the torque of the engine, amazing!
Unfortunately my smaller frame didn't agree to the long stretch to the 'bars and 'pegs on longer trips and meant more frequent stops to stretch the limbs.

In November '07 I traded the big black beast on a K7 Gixxer 750.

As you would expect these two bikes are like chaulk and cheese, but the 109 is a bike you don't forget easily, given the opportunity I would gladly have both sitting in the shed!

Edbear
8th January 2008, 18:05
I agree I'd like one in my garage, too! I rode out to Bikesport in the rain, the lack of a screen reminded me how much I appreciate the screen and lowers on my bike.

I enjoyed the engine again and the brakes. Travelling slower due to the rain meant the fuel injection was a bit snatchy and the hard suspension jarred a bit.

Picking up my bike and starting it up I immediately noticed the lighter, faster engine beat and that the C50T is actually lighter to move around as well. Setting off into the rain I noticed two things - the screen and lowers are very effective and I wondered where the engine went! Cruising through Helensville in traffic I squeezed the front brake lever and wondered where my brakes went!

Leaving town I picked up the pace and began to settle into open road cruise mode. The engine was vibeyer, (!), and revving higher. More noise, too, probably due to the screen and lack of wind noise. I was feeling more relaxed and comfortable, like settling in to an old friend and remembered why I liked long rides on the C50T. The ride position is truly natural and I felt in full control, soon I was casually swinging through the bends despite the rain and thoroughly enjoying myself again. By the time I got home I found the brakes and power fine, the exhaust note was as addictive as ever and I was happy.

Conclusion? I like the M109R and I would very much like one in my gargre. It is a very different bike to the C50T and fulfills a different purpose. If I were to tour NZ, I'd take the C50T. To go for a blast around the Coro, or a fun ride with friends, the M109R fills the bill admirably, and is great bike that deserves a place in motorcycling history as a genuine hotrod and unique among the muscle cruisers!

Now I just gotta wash my bike again!

Devil
8th January 2008, 18:45
I found the 109 ok to pose on, but the handling and ground clearance were horrid, particularly around town. I put most of it down to the profile of the OEM rear tyre. Far too flat and not rounded enough. It's ok to pull the trigger on in a straight line, but give me a rocket III anyday.
Handling is much better, ground clearance is much better, engine is smoother and it's nicer to ride. Gimme!

beyond
8th January 2008, 19:34
Good write up mate. Sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

shafty
9th January 2008, 02:39
Thanks for the good read!
Shafty;)

Edbear
9th January 2008, 10:21
I found the 109 ok to pose on, but the handling and ground clearance were horrid, particularly around town. I put most of it down to the profile of the OEM rear tyre. Far too flat and not rounded enough. It's ok to pull the trigger on in a straight line, but give me a rocket III anyday.
Handling is much better, ground clearance is much better, engine is smoother and it's nicer to ride. Gimme!

I did scrape the boot heels a couple of times, but found the handling good. Of course I'm comparing to the C50T... Now where can I try a Rocket...?:cool:

Good write up mate. Sounds like you had a lot of fun :)

I had a ball, mate! You getting a lot more riding in lately?

vifferman
9th January 2008, 10:37
There's a guy with a black M109 I've ended up following on the way home a few times. I really like the looks of the bike, and it has impressive torque and acceleration. But the last part of the trip is a series of sharp corners, which he has to take really weird and unnatural lines on to avoid scraping his boots and the pegs, and at a much slower rate than I normally do. That on its own is enough to put me off, plus the cruisers I've ridden force you into a very unnatural position: the 'feet forward' position tilts your pelvis (and hence the lumbar region of your spine) the wrong way, and not being able to cushion yourself with your legs over bumps means a fair amount of "jackhammering" for your spine. Thanks to arthritis, this means I'm never going to own an M109R, no matter how 'kewl' looking it seems.

Cache Wraith
9th January 2008, 11:38
Great write up, enjoyed the read.

chydan
9th January 2008, 11:53
Great read. and I totally agree having just traded my GSXR in on a M109.I am still getting to know the bike having only done about 400km on it so far but love it already. My wife has the intruder trike, so a much better bike for riding with her than the sportsbike

Big Dave
9th January 2008, 12:41
Good ol' Devil - he just don't get the M109

There is 10kph difference in the cornering clearance on any of 'em - Harleys, 900 metrics included.
It just doesn't matter.
These bikes are all about something else and it's not common sense practical solutions. It's about style.

The best handling, most chuckable of the cruiser bunch I've tested lately are the '08 Harley Fat Bob and the Yamaha Star 1300 - but its all relative. They all have hardly any suspension travel.

Devil
9th January 2008, 12:54
Good ol' Devil - he just don't get the M109

Weeee'll meeeet agaaaaain. :bleh:
Chuck off the plastic bits and put on the rear wheel from the Rocket and I might like it.

P38
30th January 2008, 22:02
Nice report Edbear

First there was the M109R.

Now theres the M109RT:gob:

Definately on my must test ride list

http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=54893&pov=669086

chrisso
5th March 2008, 16:53
Good write up Edbear. Casey Stoners got one I think.

Toaster
28th April 2008, 16:22
Great read. and I totally agree having just traded my GSXR in on a M109.I am still getting to know the bike having only done about 400km on it so far but love it already. My wife has the intruder trike, so a much better bike for riding with her than the sportsbike

Any bigger pics of the RN?

Toaster
28th April 2008, 16:25
Nice report Edbear

First there was the M109R.

Now theres the M109RT:gob:

Definately on my must test ride list

http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=54893&pov=669086

Apparently there's one at Colemans at the moment..... not sure if they have a demo though.

I'd be keen to take one for a cruise.... although it would be weird riding a bike with a screen... I like the wind in my face.

(no I don't sniff farts for entertainment).

rogson
28th April 2008, 17:14
........These bikes are all about something else and it's not common sense practical solutions. It's about style......

I agree to a point - but if you buy a bike in NZ to ride and not just to decorate the garage or the parking lot you can't avoid spending a lot of time on narrow, twisty & bumpy roads. Honda has shown it is possible to combine both cruiser style and ability. Why aren't there more of these in NZ?

AllanB
28th April 2008, 17:32
I found the 109 ok to pose on ..... but give me a rocket III anyday.

Yeah but the Rocket III so so dam ugly. I mean the engine looks like it was pulled out of a tractor and I have never seen so many daft little exhaust shields on one system. But go - sweet jesus does it go.

The 109R - nice - cannot stand the white (dare I say 'gay') Cobra USA cleaned it up a bit with little changes - looks sweet.

I also found these cool bars to bring them a bit closer.

DMCD
14th May 2008, 12:32
Oh how i want one, but what i want to know is how do i learn to ride something like that, going from a lil 250

limbimtimwim
14th May 2008, 17:34
Oh how i want one, but what i want to know is how do i learn to ride something like that, going from a lil 250It's a pretty easy bike to ride really. In some way easier than a small bike. When you get your full go take one for a ride and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

hang0ver
15th May 2008, 00:03
Casey Stoners got one I think.

Thats pretty interesting!

I heard a lot of the top level riders stay off the road? Keep healthy for the track I guess with all the money being pumped into ya...

Love the lines of the 109, they catch my eye most outta the jap cruisers, now to wait till I'm an old man with some money put away...

Toaster
27th May 2008, 14:29
When lowered they look even better.