PDA

View Full Version : TEST: Suzuki GSR600

sugilite
8th January 2008, 12:27
Here is a test I did on the GSR600 for the rag I write for. My editor has given me permission to post it here, any constructive suggestions and or comments welcome. It is the 1st proper test I've done, so plenty of room for improvement :lol:

Suzuki GSR600: Mid Sized Muscle – Heavy Weight Action
By Anthony Bradford – Action Photograph by Kotahi-Manawa Bradford

Suzuki released this motorcycle as a mid sized 'Street Fighter'. However, the machine is a lot more versatile than just that. Through my time with the bike, I've found it good for weekend rides, commuting, sports riding, mid-range touring and it would be far from disgraced being ridden at track days. Taking it's styling cues from the newly released and acclaimed Suzuki B-King, the GSR600's look received thumbs up from the many people who made comments throughout the test. This machine does seem to attract a lot of favourable attention and pricing is sharp at a recommended retail price of $12,995.

Ride Position/Ergonomics
The ride position is fairly upright, with your hands falling naturally to the wide bars. There is plenty of leg room and ergonomically the controls are well thought out. At highway speeds the wind pressure takes the weight of the wrists and arms making for relaxed highway cruising. The seat is comfortable, while being firm enough to move around on for spirited riding sessions.

Motor/Fuelling/Transmission
Originally used in the sports orientated Suzuki GSXR600, this motor has been re-tuned to push the power further down the rev range. Though, make no mistake, this GSR will pick up it's skirts and boogie when required. The motor red lines at 14,000 revs, and once past 8000 rpm a Hollywood type Jekyll and Hyde transformation takes place. With the shrieking exhaust and growling induction roar supplying the soundtrack, the previously mild mannered bike surges forward at an impressive rate of knots making for an exciting all action, blockbusting experience! Applying the blow torch test to the fuel injection and ignition mapping systems, When I rolled the throttle on in 6th gear at only 1500 rev's, the GSR accelerated away smoothly without suffering any transmission or drive chain snatch. The under seat exhaust and muffler do an effective job of keeping the noise level in the realms of acceptability whilst maintaining a pleasing gruff business-like note, transforming to an intoxicating howl in the upper rev ranges. The gearbox is a little notchier than typical Suzuki fare. At 100 kph the bike has a buzz about it, not a vibration, just a note of slight urgency. Even though quite low in the bike's rev range, I found this trait to be beneficial in keeping to the speed limit, without the constant licence saving scrutiny of the speedometer that riding a big bore bike requires.

Handling
Putting the acid test on the GSR's handling, I rode it over the Saddle Road between Woodville and Ashhurst. This road condenses many real world conditions into a few short kilometers, from melted and slick tar to pine needles and gravel, with some corners providing more ripples than an Ab Flex Pro infomercial! The GSR overcomes such obstacles with consummate ease, being especially impressive over mid corner corrugations. Suzuki appear to have found the holy grail of motorcycle handling. That being a bike that is very agile while maintaining impressive stability. The GSR600 is very composed at all times, even chopping the throttle mid corner failed to upset it. Testifying to the stability, the bars never shook once over the entire 400 kilometer test, which featured a wide range of road and weather conditions. At times the GSR appeared as if to steer by thought alone - - - Impressive.

Suspension
The telescopic forks are adjustable for pre-load, the rear shock is adjustable for pre-load and rebound. I left the settings standard as the bike already felt just fine for my 80 kg body weight. Both front and rear suspension action were well balanced and handled everything they encountered with ease. The front forks are just a little harsh over square edged bumps, but this is just nit picking over what is a surprisingly capable suspension package.

Brakes/Tyres
The front brakes are more than up to the task of hauling the GSR up. Initial bite is impressive and their power is never in question. Standard brake pads have come a long way of late and this test pilot noticed very little difference between the stock pads over the racing compound ones. The rear brake does require firm action, though this does help with avoiding rear wheel lock up in poor weather conditions. The tyres are Bridgestones and they handled all conditions with aplomb. Wet weather performance was put to the test with constant solid rain for 200 km's featuring lots of slick tar and slippery effluent left from stock trucks. The tyres did not slip or slide at all.

Pillion
The pillion is also well provided for on this capable all rounder. My pillion passenger reported a smooth ride with a pleasingly comfortable seat and a lot more leg room than was expected. From a rider's point of view, the bike still kept it's well balanced, light handling nature while riding 'two up'.

Conclusion
Suzuki are to be congratulated on producing a genuinely talented mid range all rounder that punches well above it's weight. GSR600 riders will need to hold off ordering their big bike riding friends a coffee when arriving at a cafe stop, as no one enjoys a cold cup of cappuccino.

Pros/Cons
Thumbs up: Handling, motor, brakes, price, style and above all, versatility.

Thumbs down: Mirrors blurring, speedometer a little smaller than I'd like, and sadly, having to give the test bike back!

Thank you to Paul Booth of Dannevirke Suzuki for providing the test bike which incidentally, is for sale at the very reasonable price of $10,995. Contact Paul on 06 374 2925 for further details.

Fatjim
8th January 2008, 13:32
Constructive comments.

1. $12,995 for a 600 at the current exchange rate is not sharp fella.
2. I know how tall you are, but others don't, give them a reference when making size statements
3. Is this bike a new model? you mention it takes its ques from the B-King.

Apart from that, far better han I could ever do.

sugilite
8th January 2008, 13:53
Cheers for the feedback mate. :yes:
1. Priced a few other bikes, prob should have done more research here...
2. Thought long and hard bout the size issue, came to the conclusion that being 197cm cm's tall, I may as well say every blardy bike is cramped. :lol:
3. Well it was new in 2007 and the brochure mentioned the b-king heritage. Good point though will add release date of model to future tests.
4. I forgot to mention what tyres it has, ooopps.

As an aside.....
I guess the angle I'm attempting to come from is, from a riding one. What is the bike like to ride and so on. I read so many tests that seem to drown me in tech details. Besides, comparing spec sheets between an R1, GSXR1000, Fireblade and ZX10R, you could be forgiven for thinking they are pretty much identical to each other. Inline 4, 998 cc, 4 valves per cylinder, radial brakes, twin spar alloy frames blah blah blah. Riding them shows the true differences, so I decided to concentrate on that side. The original article as printed did have a specs table within it.

MSTRS
8th January 2008, 16:55
Good write-up, Anthony. Tell me - I rode one of these once and although it felt more than capable and comfortable, it had an annoying 'buzz' at around 50kph and I would just hate it round town - did yours do this?

NZsarge
8th January 2008, 17:26
Nice work Anthony, just out of interest are we allowed to know who you did this article for?

Rad37
8th February 2009, 14:21
Great review , very close to the mark id say. I owned a 2007 GSR600, loved the power delivery ,handing , and looks felt & look just a little bit diffrent to other 600s on the road. Most of the guys I used to ride with were always surprised to see me keeping pace with the much bigger more powerful bikes. Had 3 long distance trip round europe and have to say it did it all perfect for touring and carring tank bags etc.... then drop the bags and off to the track... Great review of a really really good bike :2thumbsup

carver
8th February 2009, 16:12
untill you lean em over too far...

The Pastor
8th February 2009, 20:46
untill you lean em over too far...
they got ground clearance issues?

carver
9th February 2009, 07:33
they got ground clearance issues?

i have decked one out and the front end wanted to wander away in the meantime

Morcs
9th February 2009, 11:38
The FZ6 is a better bike IMHO.

samgab
9th February 2009, 12:08
Thanks for the review. I reckon the GSR600 is a great looking bike.
If you had to choose between a round 2007 GSR600 or same year Hornet 600, which would you pick? And why?
I think they each have detuned prior versions of the 600 motors from the the sporty equivalent from the brand (GSX-R600 and CBR600-RR), aye?

carver
9th February 2009, 12:15
Thanks for the review. I reckon the GSR600 is a great looking bike.
If you had to choose between a round 2007 GSR600 or same year Hornet 600, which would you pick? And why?
I think they each have detuned prior versions of the 600 motors from the the sporty equivalent from the brand (GSX-R600 and CBR600-RR), aye?

the ER6n....
with a few mods

samgab
9th February 2009, 12:19
the ER6n....
with a few mods

Seriously? You'd prefer an ER6n to a Hornet 600 or GSR600? What mods?

carver
9th February 2009, 12:42
Seriously? You'd prefer an ER6n to a Hornet 600 or GSR600? What mods?

fuck yeah.
suspension and tires.
i have ridden them back to back! (GSR-ER)

sugilite
9th February 2009, 21:57
i have decked one out and the front end wanted to wander away in the meantime

What bottomed out? Things are always floaty when your on the point of levering the bike of it's tyres... when scraping something solid.

carver
10th February 2009, 05:41
What bottomed out? Things are always floaty when your on the point of levering the bike of it's tyres... when scraping something solid.

just a gentle scrape of the pegs sir

DarkLord
10th February 2009, 09:01
Any idea if it is easy to install a packrack onto?

I'm beginning to think about my next bike, something that is a good all rounder such as this sounds like it would do the trick, as long as it is easy to put a packrack on for those big tours.....

I've heard that naked bikes feel the wind far more than fairing bikes as well - is this true?

Morcs
10th February 2009, 09:05

I'm beginning to think about my next bike, something that is a good all rounder such as this sounds like it would do the trick, as long as it is easy to put a packrack on for those big tours.....

I've heard that naked bikes feel the wind far more than fairing bikes as well - is this true?

Yeah you feel it more, but I can cruise at 150 no worries on my fizzer.
Its almost better when nailing it to, because you feel like you are going warp speed :)

sugilite
10th February 2009, 13:30
just a gentle scrape of the pegs sir

kK, I'm a little suprised the frount end was wandering away...it's always hard to know why, though I'm thinking could be something like tyre pressure as against short comings in the chassis as such.

I assume you would find a pack rack made for this specific model.

Although you as a rider would feel the wind more on a naked bike, paradoxically a naked bike is feels side winds a whole lot less than fully faired bikes.

and as morcs points out, there is a greater sensation of speed :sunny:

carver
11th February 2009, 05:41
kK, I'm a little suprised the frount end was wandering away...it's always hard to know why, though I'm thinking could be something like tyre pressure as against short comings in the chassis as such.

I assume you would find a pack rack made for this specific model.

Although you as a rider would feel the wind more on a naked bike, paradoxically a naked bike is feels side winds a whole lot less than fully faired bikes.

and as morcs points out, there is a greater sensation of speed :sunny:

did you find the front end to be noisy with standard tires?

sugilite
11th February 2009, 21:02
The one I rode felt really smooth and sure footed...However I never scraped the pegs, but would have been fairly close me thinks.

Oakie
15th November 2013, 19:31
So call me a thread-dredger. I dinnae care!

Just to say I'm looking seriously at one of these bikes and Mr Google lead me to this test. Thanks to the OP. Sounds like a good follow-up bike for my current 600 Bandit.

Feel free to comment positively or negatively anyone who has ridden one of these a bit. Oh, it has 16000kms.