PDA

View Full Version : 900 Hornet Tyre Choice

Bytor
8th January 2008, 16:34
Well the original Bridgestones have just about seen their best days so I'm looking for alternatives for commuting and weekend scratching. So what do you Hornet owners recommend - Pirelli, Metz Z6, Mich Pilot Road, Conti Road Attacks or Avon Storms?

Trudes
8th January 2008, 16:50
I've got road attacks on mine, they are the cats pajamas!!

skelstar
8th January 2008, 18:39
+1 for Mrs K

Kendog
8th January 2008, 21:00
+2 on the road attacks

gijoe1313
8th January 2008, 23:13
*files away info for near future reference.... :innocent:

Zapf
9th January 2008, 00:06
Pirelli Strada's.

They have better tread than the Conti's for wet conditions. And a much more progressive cornering lean then the PR2's and Z6's.

Also they should last over 10'000km on a 900 Hornet.

But if you want a tire that will make the Hornet stick to the road like nothing, then try Metzeler M3's. They will last you 5~6 thou k's. But stick really really well.

Bytor
9th January 2008, 07:25
Pirelli Strada's.

They have better tread than the Conti's for wet conditions. And a much more progressive cornering lean then the PR2's and Z6's.

Also they should last over 10'000km on a 900 Hornet.

But if you want a tire that will make the Hornet stick to the road like nothing, then try Metzeler M3's. They will last you 5~6 thou k's. But stick really really well.

I like the Strada reviews so I might price them up. Was also considering a Z6 rear with a M3 front for a more sporting compromise. Have not discounted the Conti's as they also have some great reviews, however as you touched on, due to the Road Attack profile they do tip in to a corner quicker than the others - I'd rather control the lean than have it forced on me.

Trudes
9th January 2008, 07:47
Must be why I like the Continentals, I like things to be forced upon me. Good luck with the choice, let us know what you decide and how you get on with them!

TerminalAddict
9th January 2008, 07:55
I'm a metzeler fan myself.

I got 6000 out of my last M3, and it was rubbish through the winter

I've now got a Z6, have done 5000 on it, has plenty of wear left (more than half) I expect to get 10000 or more from it.
Takes a bit longer than the M3 to warm up, but grips like a grippy thing

EDIT: I just read your post completely :)
I have an M3 on the front, get good mileage, and great performance up front from the M3

timorang
9th January 2008, 09:06
I have done about 6,000 kms on a set of Pilot Sports comprising a mix of use but no track work. They have worn well and should see 10,000 before needing to be replaced. I recommend them and would replace them with the same. I think Cycletreads have a special on them now at $400 for the pair which would be hard to beat.

klyong82
9th January 2008, 09:42
A friend of mine has Z6 on his 900 Hornet and told me good tyre and the rear lasted 12000 km thru commuting and the usual weekend touring. I got Conti's Road Attacks on my blade at the moment and it seem to stick well too (seem to last forever too).

Edit: adding to timorang's post Cycletreads for this month have a $50 voucher for any sports radials tires purchases so there's a bargain.

skelstar
9th January 2008, 10:25
I had a Conti Sport Attack last 4000kms on the rear, but mostly due to Sth Island road tour.

Zapf
9th January 2008, 17:28
I like the Strada reviews so I might price them up. Was also considering a Z6 rear with a M3 front for a more sporting compromise.

Just be aware that the likes of Z6's and Strada's need their matching front tire to work properly in the wet. As the center of the rear tire for both Z6's and Strada's have no tread for evacting the water, it is important for the front to have the suitable tread to clear the water for the rear so to speak.

I have done about 6,000 kms on a set of Pilot Sports comprising a mix of use but no track work.

When I bought my CBR954 they wore a set of Pilot sports, I personally would rate the M3's above them.

Bytor
10th January 2008, 17:34
Went for some Z6's/Strada's but couldn't justify the dollars, so I have some new Avon Storms - $495 on the road from Motohaus.
Will be scrubbing them in over the next few days so I'll let you know my feedback. They have had great reviews (even on KB) so I expect good things from them and the price was a bonus!

Zapf
10th January 2008, 17:56
Who and how much did they quote?

riffer
10th January 2008, 19:17
The Storm's a good choice for your bike. You'll like them.

I've used Z3s, Z4s, Z6's, and Avon Azaros on my RF, and I've now settled on a Viper front and Storm rear.

The Storms will see you right as the weather gets wetter in Autumn. Absolutely amazing roadholding in the wet.

bane
10th January 2008, 22:21
Went for some Z6's/Strada's but couldn't justify the dollars, so I have some new Avon Storms - $495

Interesting, what were you quoted for the Strada's? (I paid $460 for a set of them last month).

Im sure you will be happy with the Avon's though. Most who have them seem very complimentary.

Bytor
11th January 2008, 10:48
The Storm's a good choice for your bike. You'll like them.

I'd like them better still if they had some air in them! Bike felt low and heavy steering on the way home. Got home and the rear was nearly flat - bugger not a puncture already. Let the tyres cool down for a few hours and then checked the pressure - 26psi in the front and a whopping 12psi in the rear:eek5: Couldn't see any obvious punctures and they are still inflated this morning so either there's a dodgy valve or Motohaus sent me out on low pressures:mad:

Bytor
11th January 2008, 10:54
Who and how much did they quote?

TBH I never got firm prices on the Strada's - no one came back to me, but from memory when I have enquired before they where nearly $600. The best Z6 was Motohaus at $495 but he had just sold his last pair. Haldanes quoted $530 fitted and Motorcycle Surgery $595:eek5: Didn't bother with Cycletreads as I have not been happy with their service b4 even though their on the spot prices are usually good. Remember these are Auckland prices!!