PDA

View Full Version : A list of current demerit points

AllanB
9th January 2008, 22:02
Found this while finding out what constitutes a legal turn signal prior to replacing the loafs of bread on by Hornet.

Have a read and add up what you would have totaled on your last decent ride if you had been stopped for each 'offence' hit 100 and you strike out!

These are the current rules not the proposed ones.

Offence & Demerit points
Exceeding speed limit by 10 km/h 10

Exceeding speed limit by 11–20 km/h 20

Driving at a speed that means you are unable to stop in half of the clear distance ahead 20

Driving in a lane at a speed that means you are unable to stop in length of lane that you can see 20

Driving at a speed that means you are unable to stop short of the vehicle ahead 20

Failing to observe Give Way signs 20

Proceeding before the way is clear at a Stop sign 20

Failing to keep as close as practicable to left edge of roadway 20

Failing to stop and remain stopped for a school patrol sign 20

Failing to observe the requirements at a school patrol crossing 20

Breaching a condition of learner licence 25

Breaching a conditions of restricted licence 25

Exceeding speed limit by 21–30 km/h 35

Passing or attempting to pass where no-passing lines are marked on the road 35

Failing to remain stopped for an enforcement officer 35

Failing to stop when followed by red and blue flashing lights 35

Carelessly or inconsiderately using of a motor vehicle 35

Driving or attempting to drive when prohibited by an enforcement officer 35

Exceeding speed limit by 31–35 km/h 40

Exceeding speed limit by 36 km/h or more 50

Failing or refusing:
> to wait for result of a breath screening test
> to accompany a police officer when required
> to remain for evidential breath test or blood test 50

Person under 20 driving or attempting to drive with excess breath or blood alcohol 50

Disco Dan
9th January 2008, 22:07
Yikes...

About 365004839 points so far.... "whistle"

Mike748
9th January 2008, 22:25
Yikes...

And that will only get you to the dairy:clap:

Bren
9th January 2008, 22:29
Driving at a speed that means you are unable to stop in half of the clear distance ahead 20

Driving in a lane at a speed that means you are unable to stop in length of lane that you can see 20

Driving at a speed that means you are unable to stop short of the vehicle ahead 20

hahaha....cops never seem to care about tailgaters...they fuck me off big time!

Nagash
9th January 2008, 22:33
+1 for all this.

Nothing I didn't really already know but still worth a read.

MaxB
10th January 2008, 00:12
Apart from the grog and the speed offences I reckon most of the others on the list just gather cobwebs. Don't seem to be enforced around here.

PirateJafa
10th January 2008, 00:21
[SIZE="3"]Failing to keep as close as practicable to left edge of roadway 20

Would be a chuckle to see that one enforced. :P

Mr Merde
10th January 2008, 04:29

This one if enforced could save us all a lot of worries.

In a 1 hour session on any road in Auckland a cop could fullfill his/her "performance target" for the month.

Also if the cages were made to keep left we wouldnt have to cross the line when lane splitting. We would be then overtaking in lane. Which is the way to go according to the last cop who pulled me over for splitting.

Isnt the first rule of the road code "Keep Left"?

Swoop
10th January 2008, 13:16
Yup. Keep left and give way to your right.

TOTO
10th January 2008, 21:15
I would have got 50 points just yesterday.

More than 70k on learners, driving after 10pm

mind you I DO have my "L" on the back so no fine for that.

But, I'm just trying to get home after work officca (which is true). I'm love bike too much to take cage to work officca( shich is true) ...:rolleyes:

Coyote
10th January 2008, 21:22
Yikes...

How did you get the 9 points?

Disco Dan
10th January 2008, 21:25
How did you get the 9 points?

Have not quite finished paying that fine off yet.. :lol:

Conquiztador
12th January 2008, 21:12
So there is no points for driving/riding a vehicle that has no WOF, no Rego or is not road legal??

TOTO
12th January 2008, 21:14
So there is no points for driving/riding a vehicle that has no WOF, no Rego or is not road legal??

Surely they will find something for that. May be according to other list - different type ofoffence, who knows their system...:(

Max Preload
15th January 2008, 21:12
Failing to observe Give Way signs 20

Proceeding before the way is clear at a Stop sign 20

Since the only way you're ever going to get one of these is if you actually cause an accident, it should be 100 points and a smack around the head.

Passing or attempting to pass where no-passing lines are marked on the road 35
Passing on a yellow line - another smack in the head and 2 years walking, although I have to admit they are beginning to overuse the no-passing lines - more catering for the lowest common denominator?

McJim
15th January 2008, 21:29
So are the points for each speeding offence per second or per minute? Like if you were to spend half an hour at 137kph is that one offence at 50kph or lots of little offences?

Gremlin
16th January 2008, 00:59
Passing on a yellow line - another smack in the head and 2 years walking, although I have to admit they are beginning to overuse the no-passing lines - more catering for the lowest common denominator?
bull... they have no passing lines in some very straight places... pure bloody revenue gathering... I can pass in literally a second, where's the prob? Instead, I get to play it more risky, and squeeze between the car and the lines, thereby making it legal... :weird: All this because the cop is "just enforcing the law" and your average joe is a moron. (The cop could still choose to enforce the law or not).

You also only get the highest set of demerits from one large incident. Ie, if you get 50, 25, 25, you only get 50.

Max Preload
16th January 2008, 08:32
I think you'll find that's along the lines of what I was saying... more common sense and less yellow lines is what's needed - they're now putting them in places they don't really need to be, thus preventing vehicles like bikes & fast cars from overtaking where it would be perfectly safe to do so (well, as safe as any passing manouevre ever gets, anyway).

It's amazing the number of people that toot at you when you overtake them on a single yellow line THAT IS NOT EVEN ON YOUR SIDE i.e. it only applies to traffic coming the opposite direction. So many people don't seem to even know what the road markings actually mean. I'm sure one day soon I'll get stopped from some twit *555'ing me for performing a perfectly legitimate and legal overtaking manoeuvre.

The Pastor
16th January 2008, 08:57
mirrors are there to check for cops behind you.

Pixie
16th January 2008, 09:29
By my calculations there should only be 10% OF NZ drivers that still have a licence if they really enforced the following:

But as it isn't speeding it isn't dangerous.

Quasievil
16th January 2008, 10:10
Given the number of recent motorcycle related deaths and injuries, I certainly have no problem with any of the current penalty systems, maybe they should double the points for motorcyclists ?:bleh:
I dont particulary care if penalties are for speeding crossing the yellow lines or whatever, the road rules are there to make people safe on the roads, and that includes the guy coming towards you in his car, it would e nice to know he is operating within the road code eh?

its a old saying but a true one, if you dont want the penalty dont do the crime.........simple as really.
Ive gone two years without any infringement, proir to that I was on 95 points, its simple, change your attitude to using the road and you will be fine.

Morcs
16th January 2008, 10:50
You also only get the highest set of demerits from one large incident. Ie, if you get 50, 25, 25, you only get 50.

I have tickets that show otherwise.

Im currently on 165... Id be below 100 if you were right.

scumdog
16th January 2008, 10:55
I was saying... more common sense

You said a mouthful there - but sadly 'common' it ain't and waay too many people drive outside the abilities/concentration.

Just yesterday was taking a prisoner through to his new 'address' and on the slow lane with passing lane beside me to my right- no point in passing the couple of cars on front 'cos I could see about 3 large trucks ahead and no chance of passing any of them before the passing lane ran out.

So we tootle along sort of bunching up a little, everybody behaving and next thing this ding-a-ling female comes up from behind and starts passing everybody and in modern language it was 'like wtf?"

So she gets past us, two of the cars on front and then the passing lanes end - so she carries on and passes the front car while on the wrong side of the road and over the yellow lines and grudgingly (it semed) drops in behind the trucks.

So ding-a-ling passed a marked cop-car as she starts this effort - wtf was going through her brain? - she knew we were there.

Couldn't stop her (obviously) but soembody else up the road did.:buggerd::2thumbsup

ArcherWC
16th January 2008, 16:29
Bugger I was hoping this would show me where to go to see how many demerits ive got now.

Gremlin
16th January 2008, 19:27
Bugger I was hoping this would show me where to go to see how many demerits ive got now.
If you have to ask... you have too many... :innocent:

Morcs... I would be checking up then... I could swear you only get the highest set of demerits from one incident... If you get 3 tickets in a day, thats different, as they are separate incidents.

McJim
16th January 2008, 19:33

On 95% of motorcycles they're for looking at your elbows.

The Pastor
16th January 2008, 19:37
On 95% of motorcycles they're for looking at your elbows.
go on a diet then fatty.

The Pastor
16th January 2008, 19:40
I have tickets that show otherwise.

Im currently on 165... Id be below 100 if you were right.
+1 I have tickets that show that as well.

Morcs
16th January 2008, 21:39

Agreed. Its the only reason I actually have them.

ArcherWC
17th January 2008, 06:11
[QUOTE=Gremlin;1383602]If you have to ask... you have too many... :innocent:
QUOTE]

probably true :Oops:, thus i would like to see how careful i need to be for how long :sweatdrop: