PDA

View Full Version : Japanese company unveils hybrid bike "you can charge at home"

Bob
11th January 2008, 01:27
Japanese vehicle manufacturer Axle Corporation has unveiled the prototype of a new electric motorbike carrying a hybrid magnetic motor, which is a hybrid between a electromagnet and a permanent magnet, that can run up to 180 kilometres (112 miles) on a single charge, at a maximum speed of 150 kilometres per hour (93 miles per hour).

The company says the bike enjoys high energy efficiency thanks to a state-of-the-art magnetic motor which is a hybrid between a electromagnet and a permanent magnet.

Daisuke Ito, a professional racer who test rode the EV-X7 prototype, said it could potentially replace machines we now see in motor races. "I just feel that in the near future, we'll be seeing these kinds of electric motorbikes running all around town. And when that happens, conventional vehicles could disappear from motor racing, too, and well be competing only in electric vehicles."

For a video of the new bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs4GXH5Q3Rk

Harry33
11th January 2008, 07:02
Yeah it's pretty cool but I'd hate to do a u-turn on one.

Coyote
11th January 2008, 07:52
180km range at 150kph? Or does the battery drain quicker when going full tilt?

Bob
11th January 2008, 09:10
180km range at 150kph? Or does the battery drain quicker when going full tilt?

I'd guess the battery runs down the faster you go.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original item - according to the manufacturers, the bike can be recharged at home, much like a mobile phone apparantly. It takes around 6 hours to fully charge.

Mike748
11th January 2008, 09:33
That's just not right! where's the noise and vibe associated with getting on and off the gas? If that's the future can I please stay here.

dipshit
11th January 2008, 10:07
What I am going to miss the most is the sound of a combustion engine. :(

No matter how good electric bikes get, they will never be like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDUsbtx8-QY&feature=related

And can you imagine an electric Harley? How is anybody ever going to look tough on one of those..???

dipshit
11th January 2008, 10:09
That's just not right! where's the noise and vibe associated with getting on and off the gas? If that's the future can I please stay here.

Exactly! Maybe we are living in the best of times now?

007XX
11th January 2008, 10:18
What I am going to miss the most is the sound of a combustion engine. :(

No matter how good electric bikes get, they will never be like this...

That's a bit of an unfair comparison though, isn't it? :laugh:

I'm torn on the idea. I like the concept of being able to help the independance from burning the evil fuel, but I wouldn't be caught dead on something that looked and sounded like that little number.

At the rate the blimmin fuel prices are going though, it's kind of inevitable we will eventually have to consider alternatives like these, unless of course some genius manages to make cold fusion inexpensive :rolleyes:

Mike748
11th January 2008, 10:24
Exactly! Maybe we are living in the best of times now?

Quite possibly :laugh: I've only just managed to accept fuel injection! and I really hate when electro wizzardry is used instead of good old engineering:laugh:

.... excuse me while I retreat back to my cave :laugh:

dipshit
11th January 2008, 10:37
but I wouldn't be caught dead on something that looked and sounded like that little number.

Maybe electric bikes could have some kind of megaphone speakers that could emulate the sound of a combustion engine giving your feedback relative to how much you have your foot up it.

Hey, you could also probably select what type of engine you want to sound like from one day to the next!

Nice ass BTW.

007XX
11th January 2008, 10:47
Maybe electric bikes could have some kind of megaphone speakers that could emulate the sound of a combustion engine giving your feedback relative to how much you have your foot up it.

Hey, you could also probably select what type of engine you want to sound like from one day to the next!

Nice ass BTW.

Replicating the noise is one thing, but what about the exciting throbbing of my Vtwin, the clunky 1st gear change which I've come to love? and let's not forget about the riding stance! I'm not old enough to ride an armchair yet :nono:

Maybe Hitcher should give it a whirl :innocent: :dodge:

*head for the hills little horsey...*

marty
11th January 2008, 10:55
why cahrge it at home when you could plug in at work?

dipshit
11th January 2008, 10:57
Replicating the noise is one thing, but what about the exciting throbbing of my Vtwin,

I'm sure vibrating seats could be optional. :drool:

xwhatsit
11th January 2008, 12:36
I'll miss the noise and vibes of course, but it'll be hell fun to ride an electric sportsbike. Instant torque, full torque no matter what the rpm. The things will rip pavement. Would be fantastic for dirt-bikes too.

Will get very light-weight as battery technology improves; and you can mount that weight pretty much anywhere you like.