PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Road 2s or Avon Storms?

jrandom
11th January 2008, 09:23
Betty's BT020s have to go.

I've narrowed the replacement choice, by reputation, down to the PR2s or the Storms (or perhaps a Storm/Viper combo).

I've noted plenty of recommendations for both, here, but no direct comparison.

Has anyone tried both the Avons and the Michelins on the same bike? Can you comment on the difference?

Also, can anyone comment on the merits of running a Viper front and a Storm rear, as opposed to Storms front and rear?

[Edit: Cue everyone who's tried one but not the other chiming in with a recommendation for the one they've tried...]

vifferman
11th January 2008, 09:30
A wee comment:
Both are excellent tyres, so I don't reckon you will regret either choice, ergo it doesn't really matter. However, (but!) there was a sport-touring tyre comparo recently (I'll see iffen I can dredge it up) and the Michelins scored much higher than the Storms.

If you like to change your tyres as a set, I believe the Viper front will give you slightly more grip and wear out at the same time as the rear, rather than perhaps slightly later.

ManDownUnder
11th January 2008, 09:33
What size are the 020's? I love the things... and if they happened to fit the RF I could take 'em off your hands for a fair price...

vifferman
11th January 2008, 09:34
Here's a thread about the tyre comparo (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34905&hl=).

vifferman
11th January 2008, 09:36
I love the things...
Even the front? :confused:
Does it not wear all mental on the RFbeast?

jrandom
11th January 2008, 09:36
What size are the 020's?

120/70/17 and 190/50/17

I love the things...

I was going to use the rear for a burnout, being as that's all they're good for in my books, but if you want them when they come off I'll refrain and they're yours for a box of Steinlager Pure.

It's surprisingly good beer, isn't it?

I've done 5,000km on them, by the way. The rear's starting to square off.

jrandom
11th January 2008, 09:38
Here's a thread about the tyre comparo (http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34905&hl=).

Bingo.

Ta.

jrandom
11th January 2008, 09:51
Right, phone call made, one set of Pilot Road 2s on the way...

ManDownUnder
11th January 2008, 09:53
Even the front? :confused:
Does it not wear all mental on the RFbeast?

To confirm - we're talking about Bridgestone BT020s (http://www.manhattan-motorcycles.co.uk/images/bt020.gif)? Not at all... I get great mileage from them.

120/70/17 and 190/50/17

I was going to use the rear for a burnout, being as that's all they're good for in my books, but if you want them when they come off I'll refrain and they're yours for a box of Steinlager Pure.

I've done 5,000km on them, by the way. The rear's starting to square off.

The rear doesn't fit but if the front's ok (half life or more...?) I'll give you that beer for the front anyway.

Looks like your burnout wishes are coming true.

jrandom
11th January 2008, 09:58
To confirm - we're talking about Bridgestone BT020s (http://www.manhattan-motorcycles.co.uk/images/bt020.gif)? Not at all... I get great mileage from them.

Yes, Bridgestone BT020s.

And your great mileage will be because as far as I can tell, they're made of plastic!

Still, if they work for you on the RF, all good...

The rear doesn't fit but if the front's ok (half life or more...?) I'll give you that beer for the front anyway.

Sweet.

Woohoo, burnout!

:2thumbsup

terbang
11th January 2008, 10:09
Good choice, the Pilot Road 2CT's fitted to my Nav have taken a horrendous beating and can absorb a hell of a lot of power right to the edge and even beyond, they tell you when they are about to slip (which is rare and generally only in the wet) and are wearing nice and evenly. The Nav, being a big traiilie with no ground clearance issues, has on a couple of occasions (with 33 psi), inadvertantly tucked the rear sidewall under onto the road as well..! And they still didn't let go!

NZsarge
11th January 2008, 10:22
Honestly either of those two choices would be fine I think but if you want a choice.....PR2's.

Edit: teach me for reading to the end of the thread eh....

Blackbird
11th January 2008, 10:24
Vifferman is right on the money with his comments and you've probably seen my Storm evaluation report. I'll be replacing the rear Storm with another one shortly and putting a Viper Sport on the front as it happens to be a combination which works pretty well with the Blackbird.

Now here's the kicker!! It's become pretty clear that certain tyres work better with some bikes than others due to overall weight, front/rear weight bias, steering angle, power and anything else you care to name. To give an example, the Viper Sport soft compound is great for the Blackbird because it has a solid carcass construction which means it doesn't deflect and produce triangulation/cupping. However, if you had a lighter bike such as a 'blade, there are soft compound tyres which would work far better.

What I'm saying is there is no such thing as the "best tyre". What type of bike you fit it to and how you ride it has just as much relevance.

Hitcher
11th January 2008, 10:26
Has anyone tried both the Avons and the Michelins on the same bike? Can you comment on the difference?

Also, can anyone comment on the merits of running a Viper front and a Storm rear, as opposed to Storms front and rear?

I've run both on the FJR. Storms, then PR2s and now back to Storms.

I know there has been much discussion about "wobbly tyre syndrome" about the new Storms from some Blackbird owners. I can't comment on this as I've never experienced it on the FJR and I understand that Avon has now remedied whatever it was that contributed to this phenomenum.

The two tyres are both dual compound and vastly superior to the old breed of sports touring tyres. I would go so far as to say that they have redefined that class of tyre, leaving some manufacturers (notably Dunlop but also Bridgestone -- even with the new Battlax 021) stumbling in their dust.

Both are outstandingly great handling tyres. Based on my experience, my preference is for the Avon Storm. I find they handle better in the wet than the PR2 and are slightly sharper steering than the PR2, which I like in a front tyre. I got over 14,000km out of my first Storm rear. I don't know what the rear PR2 would have run out at finally. It had done 11,000km when the front PR2 wore out -- the first time I have ever worn out a front before a rear. This underwhelmed me significantly, although I had decided prior to that to return to Storms on my next change, which I now have.

On the subject of Storm front or Viper front?

Just because it's a "sport touring" tyre doesn't mean that the performance of the Storm should be underestimated. As I mentioned earlier, the Storm and the PR2 have redefined completely this class of tyre. Discard and expunge all of your prejudices about what sports touring tyres can and can't do compared to their "sportier" cousins.

I know it was on a different bike and that I am not Aaron Slight, but Mrs H's Bandit 650 runs Storms, and we gave this combination significant stick around Manfeild and in the process completely removed any evidence of chicken strips on the rear. The bike never gave any protestations other than the usual when its pegs carved a swathe around a couple of corners.

And I don't always nana around on the FJR. I've never had a moment when I've thought "Hmmm, maybe I should be running a stickier front wheel."

I'd go Storms front and rear. You will notice a quantum difference in the performance and handling responsiveness of Betty, in all weather and road conditions. Yes, they are that good.

NZsarge
11th January 2008, 10:26
120/70/17 and 190/50/17

Personally i'd hold out for a box of Heineken.....but that's just me:niceone::D

riffer
11th January 2008, 10:32
Well by now everbody's probably sick of hearing about me going on about Viper front/Storm rear combo but seriously Dan, they rock.

Great i the dry, great in the wet, and a back-to-back ride comparo with mine and MDU's bike confirmed to me that they also grip harder and turn in heaps faster too (MDU and I have identical bikes, except for tyres - oh and I run a 180/55-17 compared to his 170/60-17).

Wear on the Viper front appears to be consistent with rear wear on the RF - the GSX1400 should be similar.

I'd recommend a Viper/Storm combo with no hesitation - I'll be doing it again next tyre change.

jrandom
11th January 2008, 10:33
I'd go Storms front and rear.

Given that Betty and the FJR are two somewhat different bikes, and that on top of the PR2-positive comments I've received already I also know that beyond runs PR2s on his GSX1400 and loves them, I'm going to go with the Michelins to start with.

I'll probably try a set of Storms next, though.

:niceone:

terbang
11th January 2008, 10:54
Just because it's a "sport touring" tyre doesn't mean that the performance of the Storm should be underestimated. As I mentioned earlier, the Storm and the PR2 have redefined completely this class of tyre. Discard and expunge all of your prejudices about what sports touring tyres can and can't do compared to their "sportier" cousins.

Right on the money there. Last time I rode on a set of sport touring tyres, they were Dunlop 204's. I had them fitted to a 1200 Bandit and I regularily returned from riding a nervous wreck, in fact they were so bad I just biffed them. Ran an Avon Azzarro on the rear of my Busa to suit the scotsman in me which wasnt that bad, but still had a bit of pucker factor when sport riding. I sort of gave up on the concept and shredded a couple of sets of sticky sport tyres prior to settling into a more sedate type of bike (the Nav). Or so I thought. The Nav had, from the factory, Metzler Z4s on it that brought back deep rooted flashbacks of my bandit on D204's, so they had to go. Now the wheel configuration on this bike, with its 18" front wheel, excludes most sport tyres so I sort of found myself back on sport tourers. To my most pleasant surprise, the new gen dual compound tyres as Hitcher already states, are absolutely awesome and have released the wolf wearing the sheeps clothing.

Blackbird
11th January 2008, 11:01
In case there is any misunderstanding, Avon Storms are not a dual compound tyre. They go for a similar end result by the way the carcass is constructed.

vifferman
11th January 2008, 11:16
They go for a similar end result by the way the carcass is constructed.
The Avon "Variable Belt Density" thang. :yes:

Max Preload
12th January 2008, 10:44
I fitted a PR2 rear with a PP 2CT front early last this year and certainly have no complaints. I came off BT020's and they were ok but the Michelins are streets ahead for grip, although it doesn't turn in quite as quickly. Wear wise I couldn't be happier.

smoky
12th January 2008, 10:59
Right, phone call made, one set of Pilot Road 2s on the way...

I haven’t tried the Storms’ yet – but heres some advise on the Pilot Road 2’s; I suggest you check that your getting the duel compound one for the rear – there is just a standard Pilot Road that’s not duel compound.

I had a set – loved the grip and handling, but I only got 6000 or so out of them due to a dodgy shock, I wore the sides out before the centre.
Reading your comments about your tyre wear then definitely get a duel compound for the rear, it won’t tend to square as quickly, and if it does a good fang around Coro or the likes will take the square off.
But I wouldn’t suggest duel compound for the front of an RF – they’re too hard on the side of the front tyre

Chrislost
12th January 2008, 17:47

I've narrowed the replacement choice, by reputation, down to the PR2s or the Storms (or perhaps a Storm/Viper combo).

I've noted plenty of recommendations for both, here, but no direct comparison.

[Edit: Cue everyone who's tried one but not the other chiming in with a recommendation for the one they've tried...]

have you thought about BT021s?

their that 2ct shit too

ManDownUnder
17th January 2008, 15:26

LOL ya stupid tit...

You mean BT010s... but I do have to say thanks for the chicken strips... them's got more meat than I had dreamed of! You do know you're supposed to lean into corners don't you?

jrandom
17th January 2008, 15:49
You mean BT010s... but I do have to say thanks for the chicken strips... them's got more meat than I had dreamed of! You do know you're supposed to lean into corners don't you?

No, that was a BT020 on the front. Not a BT010.

The BT010 is the old, old version of Bridgestone's sport tyre range, which is currently at BT015, although a lot of bikes are still getting fitted in the factory with BT014s.

I presume you've picked it up?

Read the sidewall again.

:confused:

Also, take a photo now for the record, and if you can noticeably reduce those front chicken strips within a month on the RF (we'll put hi-res photos up in a thread and get a vote) you can have that box of Steinlager back!

(I'll be round drinking half of it, though...)

ManDownUnder
18th January 2008, 07:08
No, that was a BT020 on the front. Not a BT010.

The BT010 is the old, old version of Bridgestone's sport tyre range, which is currently at BT015, although a lot of bikes are still getting fitted in the factory with BT014s.

I presume you've picked it up?

Read the sidewall again.

:confused:

Also, take a photo now for the record, and if you can noticeably reduce those front chicken strips within a month on the RF (we'll put hi-res photos up in a thread and get a vote) you can have that box of Steinlager back!

(I'll be round drinking half of it, though...)

You are talking about the (reading the sidewall carefully...) and I quote "BT010 (http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/bridgestone/BT010&BT011_front.jpg)" with the big bit of paper stuck to it saying hold for Dan - off a GSX1400 16/1/08". Would that be the one? BT020's look like this (http://www.manhattan-motorcycles.co.uk/images/bt020.gif)

Will organise pics soon... no problem - might even see if I can get the model of rubber in the shot for ya. No worries about that beer. Enjoy it. When I reduce those chicken strips tou can buy me another one to go with it...!

jrandom
18th January 2008, 07:51
You are talking about the (reading the sidewall carefully...) and I quote "BT010 (http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/bridgestone/BT010&BT011_front.jpg)" with the big bit of paper stuck to it saying hold for Dan - off a GSX1400 16/1/08". Would that be the one? BT020's look like this (http://www.manhattan-motorcycles.co.uk/images/bt020.gif)

Will organise pics soon... no problem - might even see if I can get the model of rubber in the shot for ya. No worries about that beer. Enjoy it. When I reduce those chicken strips tou can buy me another one to go with it...!

Oh my god dude!

:lol:

Treads gave you the wrong tyre!

:killingme

Seriously. It was an 020 on the front. Yes, it looked like the 020 in the photograph.

Congratulations on your mysterious free sticky sport tyre! :eek:

I did think your dissing of my chicken strips was a bit rough; I'd only left a few mm on the front 020. None on the back.

Priceless!

jrandom
18th January 2008, 07:58
OK, on another note

*still giggling over MDU's unexpected good fortune*

I scrubbed in the Pilot Road 2s on the ATNR last night with Stickchick on the pillion seat, and they worked a treat. Much better dry grip than the BT020s. They steer predictably (if perhaps a little slowly) and generally feel sticky and stable. I'm happy with my choice.

Jody reckons she could feel the rear end squirming around under throttle out of corners, but I didn't notice any upset from the pilot's seat, so it can't have been that bad.

Anyway, squirming out of corners is what GSX1400s do. I was definitely getting on the throttle harder - the Michelins give me heaps more confidence than the old Bridgestones did.

:woohoo:

ManDownUnder
18th January 2008, 08:18
LOLOL... fair enough - that IS funny. You want to ring treads and let them know they have an 020 they need to hold for you?

Jesus... I'd rather have the 020 anytime (and seriously... this 010 has ... 25mm... maybe more of virginal rubber on both sides)

Oh my god dude!

:lol:

Treads gave you the wrong tyre!

Seriously. It was an 020 on the front. Yes, it looked like the 020 in the photograph.

Congratulations on your mysterious free sticky sport tyre! :eek:

I did think your dissing of my chicken strips was a bit rough; I'd only left a few mm on the front 020. None on the back.

Priceless!

vifferman
18th January 2008, 08:18
I scrubbed in the Pilot Road 2s on the ATNR last night with Stickchick on the pillion seat.

Jody reckons ...etc etc blah blah
So that's what that was on the back of your bike? <_<

jrandom
18th January 2008, 08:21
So that's what that was on the back of your bike? <_<

Eeep.

I am a bad, inconsiderate and most entirely socially inept man for not performing introductions, aren't I?

Sorry.

We'll just have to come round and drink your whisky now so that I can do it properly.

:2thumbsup

jrandom
18th January 2008, 08:23
LOLOL... fair enough - that IS funny. You want to ring treads and let them know they have an 020 they need to hold for you?

Jesus... I'd rather have the 020 anytime (and seriously... this 010 has ... 25mm... maybe more of virginal rubber on both sides)

You might as well ring them dude... tell them the story etc and see if that 020 is still floating around.

ManDownUnder
18th January 2008, 08:24
You might as well ring them dude... tell them the story etc and see if that 020 is still floating around.

LOL done....

vifferman
18th January 2008, 09:30
Eeep.

I am a bad, inconsiderate and most entirely socially inept man for not performing introductions, aren't I?
Well... I'm probably the master of social ineptitude, which is why I have tended to shirk social gatherings. But not this year, if I can help it.

Sorry.
We'll just have to come round and drink your whisky now so that I can do it properly.
"I'm very sorry! I'll come and drink your whiskey and make it all right!"

Yeah, you do that. The buggers are breeding in the cupboard (previously known as "The Moth Breeding Chamber", and probably reeking of moth pheromones from all the shagging they do in there). If they're not drunk soon (the bottles, not the moths) either the moths'll drink them, or the shelf will collapse.
Top shelf, natch. :rolleyes:

ManDownUnder
18th January 2008, 15:53

OK - it's all worked out - let's just say I like Cycletreads very very much, I encourage you all to go there as often as you can, spend money with the lovely folks there... and consider naming your children Phil.

ManDownUnder
29th January 2008, 13:39
Finally picked up the right tire (or is it tyre... I can never remember) and lo - it is a BT020 front t[i|y]re -the is heaps of tread still on it and the chicken strips are indeed respectable with no evidence of bias to the left or right.

Credit where it's due - over and out.
MDU

jrandom
29th January 2008, 13:46
... the is heaps of tread still on it and the chicken strips are indeed respectable with no evidence of bias to the left or right.

Ah hah, you should see the Pilot Road 2s after Saturday's trackday!

:yes: