PDA

View Full Version : Braided Brake lines

dhunt
11th November 2004, 16:40
Ok, my front brakes suck, I've had new fluid put in them and they are better than before but I can still pull the level back to the bar.

Now I've been told my brake lines are probably shot so I'm thinking about replacing them. So my question is where's the best place to get new lines at a reasonable price and what is a reasonable price.

I'm not against importing them, my Dad's in the States at the moment and I'm sure I can get him to get me some if that's the cheapest option.

Thanks

F5 Dave
11th November 2004, 17:09
Alert in Auckers will make them up with required no.s on them for legality.

Two Smoker
11th November 2004, 18:14
I love my braided lines, cost me about $140???? But that was only a single line for the front disc on the RG..... Fully legal and the rest of it.... way better feel and braking power..... (see Waikato ride video for the proof, with MR's rolling stoppie)

Another thing that you can do is replace all the seals in the callipers and master cylinder.....

curious george
11th November 2004, 18:38
What is your disc, pads and fluid like? If you can pull the lever back to the bar, prehaps you have air in them?

dhunt
11th November 2004, 18:43
What is your disc, pads and fluid like? If you can pull the lever back to the bar, prehaps you have air in them?
Disc's look ok, pads are half worn, and fluid is new, I got new fluid put in hoping that would fix the problem, are a bit better now but not brillant.

Two Smoker
11th November 2004, 19:09
Yep check all the seals (what i mean by check is replace)..... and then go for lines as well, you will never regret....

FROSTY
11th November 2004, 21:04
try pulling the pistons out anfd giving em a polish up.
Give the brakes a bleed. Then a couple iof days later bleed em again.

F5 Dave
12th November 2004, 08:13
Manufacturers usually state lines should be replaced every 2 years. Yeah right. But after 5 yrs they are definitely always baggy.

1988 was a while back now (don’t count, it gets scary). Just replace them.

Pwalo
12th November 2004, 10:07
Just do it young man. Braided lines give much more feel as well. Your original brake lines will be a bit knackered and bulging by now.

One of the best mods that you can do along with upgrading your suspension.

vifferman
12th November 2004, 10:10
Yeah, what everyone else said (good advice). If you go braided, make sure they're LTSA approved (must have relevant DOT compliance marked on the sides of the lines).

Cajun
12th November 2004, 10:32
Yeah, what everyone else said (good advice). If you go braided, make sure they're LTSA approved (must have relevant DOT compliance marked on the sides of the lines).
or be sneaky enough to get them thru your local bike shop dc:< :whistle: