PDA

View Full Version : Weight-loss ideas?

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 12:32
Hey all,

I have to drop of quite abit of blubba (10's of KG's) but the 6th month of this year.

At the moment Im walking for 1 hour during my lunch hour and eating fruit and drinking plenty of water. Im not to keen on the gym as time is limitied and Im not wanting to build muscle.

Im after some good diet plans...and any hints or tips.

Cheers all.

The Lone Rider
13th January 2008, 12:47
Is getting a nympho girl friend out of the question?

Just be sure she doesn't cheat on you trying to get her fix when you aren't around :thud:

crashe
13th January 2008, 12:48
Hey all,

I have to drop of quite abit of blubba (10's of KG's) but the 6th month of this year.

At the moment Im walking for 1 hour during my lunch hour and eating fruit and drinking plenty of water. Im not to keen on the gym as time is limitied and Im not wanting to build muscle.

Cheers all.

Cut out all snack bars and leave the fizzy drink alone..... oh and the booze too.

Maybe keep a diary of what you eat everyday and at what time....
You maybe surprised at what actually goes into your mouth......

Keep up the walking.... find someone to go walking with you... that helps to pass the time.
What about a exercycle as well (at home while watching tv)

Get your GP to send you to a dietian as they will help you out with the correct food plan for you.

Do you have any injuries that will restrict you from doing certain exercises?

Good luck, keep motivated and you will make it.
Let us know how it all goes.

Bren
13th January 2008, 12:52
Is getting a nympho girl friend out of the question?

Just be sure she doesn't cheat on you trying to get her fix when you aren't around :thud:

ya talkin outta experience there mate?

The Lone Rider
13th January 2008, 12:55
ya talkin outta experience there mate?

No, my ex wasn't a nympho.

But I do have some other words I probably wouldn't hesitate at times to describe her.

Jorja
13th January 2008, 12:59
the only thing that works for me is swimming and working outside in the garden etc. Plus working outside I found I got a lot done while I was doing the exercise.

A meal for an adult should consist of
100g of meat
a small amount of carbs (about a small potato worth)
and lots of salad or veg.

Just make sure you don't add alot of crap to the salads and veg.
Plus avoid processed foods completely.

Can give you some reallt nice recepies with hardly any fat if you are keen.

P38
13th January 2008, 13:01
Loosing weight aint easy

Good on for giving it a go mate:niceone:

What crashe said

Plus this is what I do

When you get your meals dished up, cut the amount in 1/2 so you end up eating a smaller portion.

Eat more veges than meat, but dont drop the meat altogether. Less potatoes is good. Replace them with kumera.

Snack on fresh fruit, but not bananas cos they High in GI.

Look on the packaging of all your foods you buy and choose those with less than 5% fat and low in sugars/carbohydrates.

Exercise more, swimming burns lots of calories but is gentle on ya joints. Walking is better if it is a brisk walk.

P38 still needs to loose 20kgs :(

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:02
Cut out all snack bars and leave the fizzy drink alone..... oh and the booze too.

Maybe keep a diary of what you eat everyday and at what time....
You maybe surprised at what actually goes into your mouth......

Keep up the walking.... find someone to go walking with you... that helps to pass the time.
What about a exercycle as well (at home while watching tv)

Get your GP to send you to a dietian as they will help you out with the correct food plan for you.

Do you have any injuries that will restrict you from doing certain exercises?

Good luck, keep motivated and you will make it.
Let us know how it all goes.

I have a dodgy left leg that can get sore if I dont warm up before exersize but other than that theres nothing.

I do drink some fizzy I have to admit, maybe 2 cans of coke a day and around 15bottles of beer a week...so im guessing that wont help.

I spose I could get a exercycle for the lounge.

I dont really eat snack bars etc, I have eaten alot of fast food in the last three years. I had it around 4-5 times a week. But thats been cut out big time as I have a problem with my heart. *EDIT - exersize will not hurt my heart*

crashe
13th January 2008, 13:10
I have a dodgy left leg that can get sore if I dont warm up before exersize but other than that theres nothing.

I do drink some fizzy I have to admit, maybe 2 cans of coke a day and around 15bottles of beer a week...so im guessing that wont help.

I spose I could get a exercycle for the lounge.

I dont really eat snack bars etc, I have eaten alot of fast food in the last three years. I had it around 4-5 times a week. But thats been cut out big time as I have a problem with my heart. *EDIT - exersize will not hurt my heart*

So you have been to see the dr and got the ok re exercise... that is good..

Dump the coke NOW.... and the beer..... go on you can do it...

Fast food wont help either.....

But do look at what is put in the packet....
Also eat less......

I watched a doco on telly the other day... re drinking water before a meal...
forget that....

What they discovered was that mixing all the food up into a soup.... meant that the fluid was in there.... and you didnt get hungry sooner......
while drinking water ahead of time... the hunger pains came real quick again.

Go and do waterwalking.... great fun....... lots of people to chat to..... the 30 to 45 minute in the pool goes fast..... if your legs feel like jelly when you get out...then you have done good.

Paul in NZ
13th January 2008, 13:17
Re the gym - you won't necessarily build muscle - ask a trainer for a plan that will help you loose weight. HOW you exercise is important. My advice - join a gym and schedule the time every day (ie actually make an appointment in say outlook) and just do it. Walkings good but you probably need a bit more...

Go for a good start to the day - weetbix is excellent but it's important to have breakfast otherwise the body just stores everything as it's in famine mode. Whole foods are best - avoid refined carbs (white bread rice etc)

You could try a post operative infection - worked for me - makes you feel like death on a stick but little effort is involved.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:18
Thanks P38, I wish i only had to lose 20KG...Im going to try to get into the Police, I use to be so fit..run every day after work and then hit the gym after tea. However married life kicked it and it all when to the shitta.

Jorja, if you could email me the recipes that would be so awesome...:)

I can dump the coke and beer, I have to...for the sake of my working future and my health (Dr told me Im gona die young....:( )

Walking is good for me because it clears my head too so I will stick to that and once I lose some more weight I will start running etc.

Jorja
13th January 2008, 13:20
I watched a doco on telly the other day... re drinking water before a meal...
forget that....

What they discovered was that mixing all the food up into a soup.... meant that the fluid was in there.... and you didnt get hungry sooner......
while drinking water ahead of time... the hunger pains came real quick again.

Go and do waterwalking.... great fun....... lots of people to chat to..... the 30 to 45 minute in the pool goes fast..... if your legs feel like jelly when you get out...then you have done good.

I was once told that thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Find if I am hungry after a meal water will help.

The great thing about swimming is the spa afterwards :bleh:

I disagree with eating less. My biggest problem is not eating enough. I usually find it is not the amount but the type of food. Salads and veg you can eat as much of depending on how you have prepared them. That is why most diets include them as snacks to stop hunger cravings.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:23
Paul - What would you recommend for breakfast, weetbix is ok, fruit salad? what about those breakfasts as a drink in the small little box?

crashe
13th January 2008, 13:24
I was once told that thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Find if I am hungry after a meal water will help.

The great thing about swimming is the spa afterwards :bleh:

I disagree with eating less. My biggest problem is not eating enough. I usually find it is not the amount but the type of food. Salads and veg you can eat as much of depending on how you have prepared them. That is why most diets include them as snacks to stop hunger cravings.

The one thing that I found with the waterwalking was that after every session I got the damned flu.. so I couldnt go back in until I was over the flu..... It happened so many times....... I've still got sessions to go back to westwave.

Drinking water: They discovered that it past right throu your system straight away hence it not telling your tummy is full.. as it really doesnt bloat up the tum. While having soup did.

Brekkie: I also eat 3 weetbix every morning to see me throu to lunchtime....

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:26
What would cause you to get the flu?

I might have to give the Gym idea a go...It can be a little embarrsing being a large fulla in a gym next to these slim muscle bound guys but I spose thats why Im there.

bell
13th January 2008, 13:26
Giardia.

Highly recommended by my wife. She lost about 7kgs in 2 weeks.

Yes, I was taking the piss. But it did work quite well...

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:27
Ive been told you can lose that kinda weight in two weeks just by exersizing...

crashe
13th January 2008, 13:34

I might have to give the Gym idea a go...It can be a little embarrsing being a large fulla in a gym next to these slim muscle bound guys but I spose thats why Im there.

I dunno...maybe my immune system was really low at the time over those months.....
I wasn't putting my head under the water either...... just water walking.
I tried the straight out and get changed to having a spa afterwards...
nought worked... kept getting the damned flu.

Gym: don't worry about your size...... you will discover heaps of big people at the gym and plus your trainer is there to help you...

Hey take a before picture and then a after picture of when you loose the weight.

Mr Skid
13th January 2008, 13:35
Sell the motorbike, buy a bicycle.
Keep pedaling until target weight achieved.

A side effect is that you will become harder than most motorcyclists.

Kittyhawk
13th January 2008, 13:35
Eat 3 meals a day, your portions should be the size of your fist.

Do not have snacks in between the 3 meals pref keep them 5 hours apart per meal. Cut out most sugars, such as junkfoods and drinks. Alcohol must go.

Exercise, do resistance training 1 min sprint/jog 1 min walk this will increase stamina. Swimming is another good type of workout.

Get a trampoline it gives a full all body work out too if you have a bad knee. Also to fix that, do at least 30 mins cycling each day as it relieves pressure and you aren't using your full bodyweight on it.

Cut out high carb foods, potatoes, pasta etc, you can have some carbs but if it's a high starchy diet you normally have it will take longer to loose weight. Subsitute foods. Eg spuds, to salad etc.

Find someone to motivate you maybe see if you can take someones dog for a walk each day, knowing you have to walk him/her will motivate you into doing it.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:36
Im going to take a before and after picture, I really have to get my motivation up as Ive wanted to enter the police force for a very long time and this is the year for it....at least it feels like it.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:38
Kitty Hawk - thats some awesome info, thanks for that. I thought you were meant to eat 5 small meals a day to keep you body at a constant level for energy purposes or something lol...as you can tell I know nothing about heath care.

Bren
13th January 2008, 13:38
Giardia.

Highly recommended by my wife. She lost about 7kgs in 2 weeks.

Yes, I was taking the piss. But it did work quite well...

Not a nice way to loose weight...I got a bout of Giardia in 98...I was sick for bloody ages...Don't ever wanna go through that again!

Jorja
13th January 2008, 13:46
Kitty Hawk - thats some awesome info, thanks for that. I thought you were meant to eat 5 small meals a day to keep you body at a constant level for energy purposes or something lol...as you can tell I know nothing about heath care.

Kitty is talking about the sureslim diet. Did that one myself. They believe it takes up to 5 hours for your body to process a meal. So no snacks in between. I actually loved this diet but for health reasons it didn't love me. Other diests I felt I was eating constantly. Have all of the stuff for it if you want to have a look.

Big thing with loosing weight is to keep hydrated. Atleast 2-3 litres of water a day. Only way I can do it is to have a bottle next to me.

If you have a bad knee you might find you need to build up the muscles around it before doing any stenuous exercise

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:48
I would be very interested it taking alook at that sureslim diet...sounds like it would suit my lifestyle.

Why didnt it work for you?

Could I take alook at your pack Jorja?

Blackadda
13th January 2008, 13:50
Hey all,

Cheers all.

I think you need to purchase a 91 GSXR, the exhileration of the ride will shed the weight off ya ;-)

Lots of water, eat normal (all food groups in moderation), small meals more often, no carbs at night (at least 4 hours before sleep) and exercise as often as you can. Still if your training for the Police, you'll have to get yer fitness up anyway. so you will need to run a bit. Squash is good for cardio (just keep out of the bar afterwards) but walking or jogging for stamina! :yes:

Diet is such a filthy word :shutup:

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:53
Blackadda - My plan was to drop off a good amount for weight by good eating and exerzise then once im the size I want to be I will go hard to build muscle and all that.

If that makes any sense!

Badcat
13th January 2008, 13:54
i lost 20 kilos last year and have kept it off.
you'd be really surprised how different you look at 90 kilos rather than 110 if your 6'2.
i walked 10 ks a day, which is much easier that it sounds, especially if you break it up into 2x 5 k walks.
i cut out high fat foods, and soft drinks.
i cut out most carbs after 5 pm
i started EATING A GOOD BREAKFAST, starts your body out right and gives you much more energy.
i have struggled with being a fat bastard all my life, and was careful not to set my regime too strict, i let myself eat some bad foods, chips at parties etc.
this to me was really helpful. then when i did screw up - i didn't throw in the towel.
i feel 100 times better than i used to, i'm happier and a lot less prone to stress.
and my back is a lot better than it was, much less work for my body carrying around 20 kilos less.

go for it!
you can do it Kneescraper, and i hope your career in the police kicks ass, we need more decent bike aware cops!

ken

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 13:58
Thanks badcat, I will PM you for more info.

I plan on being the best public Police man I can, my older brother is a Police man and hes very simular. All I want to do is help the public not discipline them..cheesie I know.

Jorja
13th January 2008, 14:01
I would be very interested it taking alook at that sureslim diet...sounds like it would suit my lifestyle.

Why didnt it work for you?

Could I take alook at your pack Jorja?

Only reason it didn't work is I have a partial blockage in my bowl and have trouble digesting food at times. As I said before most diets require me to eat alot especially fibre. My body can't handle it.

The 5 hour gap was awesome though. Did find that helped.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 14:02
Would I beable to borrow you pack for a look?

Kittyhawk
13th January 2008, 14:03
I was only referring to sureslim for the metabolic rate adjustment, not the diet itself.

The foods which are on the forbidden list isnt what its ment to be. Natural sugars in fruits are acceptable because the body can break these down alot quicker than refined sugars.

I will not give up particular foods because my body needs them, Milk is on the forbidden list, if I need calcicum daily and dont intend taking more tablets than I have to. If I give up natural sugars, then my body starts reacting negativly to it.

Jorja
13th January 2008, 14:05
Would I beable to borrow you pack for a look?

No problem. I was given a big list of what I could eat and what I couldn't. There was three catagories and got to pick one from each catagory for each meal. So there was alot of variety.

Will dig it out for you tomorrow as part of it is at work.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 14:06
Thank you so much...:) just talking about it motivates me...not to get off this silly laptop and go for a walk :)

Jorja
13th January 2008, 14:10
My oldest has a paper route. For exercise over xmas I am filling in for someone on theirs. Took me about 2 hours today. Do that twice a week. I find it is hard to stay motivated but this I have to do as I have a deadline.

Set yourself small goals along the way. Maybe treats (non food related lol) that you can have for every 2kg you drop. That will help you stay motivated.

I have till september to loose about 15kg for the record.

Teflon
13th January 2008, 14:15
Cut down on your complex carbs. Doing this you'll probably feel a lot better and lose weight. When i was training, the worse thing i did was load up on carb, i kept hitting the wall.

Don't do a low fat diet, just cut down on saturated fat. A certain percentage of fat is beneficial.

Good luck.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 14:18
Complex Carbs? Which are? :)

Jorja
13th January 2008, 14:20
complex carbs are potatoes, pasta, bread etc. They take along time for the body to process and use the energy.

You don't want to cut them out completely as short term you will loose weight but long term it is not terribly good for the body. You do want to only have small portions though.

Teflon
13th January 2008, 14:21

Deadlift, squat, bench. Then you'll get respect.. but anyway, who gives a fuck what people think..

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 14:21
I eat alot of complex carbs then :( I'll cut that out then!

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 14:23
who gives a fuck what people think

True, very true.

Mrs Busa Pete
13th January 2008, 14:27
Hey all,

Cheers all.

I have just join sure slim and have lost 3.45 kg in 2 weeks. It does come down to moderation when having your meals the good thing with sure slim is that the diet is work out to you they take a blood test in the start. Then when you have hit your goal weight they give you a maintenance program. I an amazed how good i feel with just eating the write food. they only tell you exerise for 30 min which would be covered by your walking. Good luck lossing weight is not easy.

DEATH_INC.
13th January 2008, 14:53
I eat alot of complex carbs then :( I'll cut that out then!
Much more important to lose the simple carbs.....
The old atkins diet is a way, but just modify it a bit cause it isn't that good for ya, basically don't eat anything white, pasta (unless it's wholemeal) potatoes, white bread (eat wholegrain only) fat of course is white...cream... etc. Don't follow his setup to the letter though, just try to avoid/ cut back on the white stuff....it's a good indicator...

Hitcher
13th January 2008, 15:13
Speaking as a person who has shed a couple of kg in recent times, may I suggest:

1. Cut your carbs. Bread, pasta, potatoes, and particularly those in snack foods like chippies, etc.
2. Eliminate sucrose or other processed sugars.
3. Significantly moderate your alcohol consumption.
4. Watch out for dietary fats. They're everywhere. Read the labels on foods before buying.
5. Buy a George Foreman Grill, or similar. Steaks and Hellers sausages are good for you!
6. Eat breakfast. A couple of Weetbix with some fruit preserved in juice, rather than sugar and some low-fat milk.
7. Eat vegetables. Fresh is best, but those frozen steaming sachet ones are good for convenience.
8. Watch out for fruit and fruit juices. While they contain simple sugars rather than sucrose, they still contain sugars. Pace yourself.
9. Sushi and Subway salads are about the only take-aways you can trust.
10. Buy an accurate set of scales and weigh yourself daily. However weighing yourself daily on its own will not make you lose weight.
11. Start a spreadsheet and graph your progress.
12. Make your metabolism work. Watch yourself when exercising as this can significantly increase your appetite. Also boys have a tendency to convert fat to muscle, for no weightloss benefit.
13. Olives, rice crackers and nuts are good snack foods. Just don't overdo them and watch out for salt content.
14. Those tins of Aunt Betty's rice puddings are good. Again, small tins only and don't overdo it.

A bit of diligence should see you shedding at least 500g a week if you stick to the above regimen. Good luck, and enjoy!

Her_C4
13th January 2008, 15:18
Speaking as a person who has shed a couple of kg in recent times, may I suggest:

Good points
3. Significantly moderate your alcohol consumption.
Heaps more good points

Whaaaaa'????? :pinch: BUGGER!!! :laugh:

R6_kid
13th January 2008, 15:21
Anyone using thermogenic dietary supplements (pills?), I hear they can help you out quite well when used in conjunction with good diet and exercise.

They help you to metabolise food, reduce the feeling of hunger and also apparently give you a bit more energy.

I know Texmo was using them, does anyone else have experience with these?

Nasty
13th January 2008, 15:25
I am also like some of these guys using the sureslim plan. They base it around what your body is able to process and you take it from there. I am allowed milk and fruit and things like that. I take at least five hours between meals ... and drink in excess of 3 litres a day of water. in 7 weeks I have lost over 12 kg .. and am still loosing ... cos I need to. The reason I selected sureslim is that it is medically based and they wrote a program of foods for me.

I have salads twice a day at least ... and still eat takeaways ... instead of fish and chips and chinese we have mushroom buritos or iskanber (a type of salad) .... and they are great when I don't have a kitchen to prepare a meal or the time.

Grub follows the basic plan that I have but has to have more, being male, he gets an extra fruit a day .. .and I think he should be having two breads a day. So taking Jorjas plan is not totally advisable. But if you look at the basics behind it .. it should work.

Usarka
13th January 2008, 15:26
When you feel full you have eaten enough to maintain your body. At it's current weight.

Get used to stopping eating before you are full.

Mully
13th January 2008, 15:37
This is what worked for me in the past, and which I will be starting again shortly:

Join a gym
Talk to the nutritionist on site. Tell them your goals. They will normally give you a training plan as well as a meal plan.
Get into the habit of going to the gym. I liked going in the morning before work. Fewer posers around. At one point I was going in the afternoon also. Doing weights in the morning and cardio in the afternoon.

Do weights and cardio. Muscle burns more fat, so you need more muscle

Eat several meals a day.
Breakfast if you have just been to the gym, is scrambled egg whites (PM me if you want to know how to do them in the microwave). Or Protein shake and banana
Around 10am - Protein shake & fruit (not banana)
Lunch - Lean meat, vegetables inc small baked potato.
Around 3pm - Protein shake and fruit (not banana)
Dinner - Same as lunch

Do not weigh yourself every day. Weight fluctuates with hydration and even time of day. If you weigh yourself everyday, and you increase, you will lose motivation.
Weigh yourself once a week, in the same clothes, at the same time of day. Mine was Wednesday morning, after my workout in my gym clothes without shoes and socks. Yes, graph it or keep a record somewhere.

Do not cut all carbs. This will make you highly likely to binge on them, and will also make permanent weight loss impossible to maintain.

To avoid bingeing, have some time off, I had after lunch Saturday to lunchtime Sunday (24 hours) where I could eat what I wanted. If you don't do this, you will blow out and destroy all your good work.

PM me if you want some work out tips.

Note: This worked for me. I do not guarantee it will work for you. Seek professional advise (nutritionist/Personal Trainer/Doctor) before copying it.

Mully
13th January 2008, 15:57
Forgot to add, take a good multi vitamin, and fish oil. Flaxseed oil is ok if you can't deal with fish oil, but fish oil is better :)

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 15:59
Mully, yours seems like a good idea, as do the others. What kind of time would I expect to spend in a gym per week if I wanted to lose say 1-2kg per week for 6 months?

One of the other things that is stuck in mind is how diet food is so bland and boring. Im not a huge fan of salads because they leave me feeling empty. I LOVE Sushi but cant afford to buy or make that every day so what are some good ideas for food.

Breakfast - 2 Weetbix with some fruit in juice
Morning tea - Apple
Lunch - ??????? Because I will be walking at this time I need some thing easy and good to go. Howabout something like a Wholemeal bread sandwich with tomatos and slim cheese or something?
Arvo Tea -Apple or some fruit
Dinner - ???????? what are some real yummy good dinners?

THanks for all the help!

Timber020
13th January 2008, 16:23
Become an arborist. If the hard work doesnt take the kilos off, a slip with a chainsaw will do it.

The Pastor
13th January 2008, 16:55
Rm's stragery for losing weight - Stop eating you fatty.

Mully
13th January 2008, 16:59
Mully, yours seems like a good idea, as do the others. What kind of time would I expect to spend in a gym per week if I wanted to lose say 1-2kg per week for 6 months?

Morning tea - Apple
Lunch - ??????? Because I will be walking at this time I need some thing easy and good to go. Howabout something like a Wholemeal bread sandwich with tomatos and slim cheese or something?

THanks for all the help!

I was spending around an hour morning (weights) and night (Cardio). I was losing just over a kilo per week. Obviously, you'd drop this down to maintain your weight once you hit your ideal.

As per your menu above, not too bad. Very little protein though. If you are doing weights first thing, you will want protein for breakfast. You'd also want protein more during the day.

For lunches and dinners. I suggest chicken breast (skinned and boneless) or lean meat. Ostrich is perfect, but will bankrupt you. Turkey is great, but most lean beef or trim pork is fine.

I think Hitcher recommended a George Foreman. I agree. Both a grill and a roaster (for chickens).

Cook a chicken, take the skin off, rip it to bits, put it in a colander and rinse with hot water to remove all the fat (not required, but works). Chuck in mixed vegetables and a slosh of pasta sauce (tomato based). Divide into two containers and you have a lunch and a dinner in one hit. Either as it is, or in a wholemeal wrap.

Other than that, invest heavily in jars of seasoning (Masterfoods type things) or garlic, etc. You can spice up your chicken and meat with those all you like.

Mully
13th January 2008, 17:13
Anyone using thermogenic dietary supplements (pills?), I hear they can help you out quite well when used in conjunction with good diet and exercise.
They help you to metabolise food, reduce the feeling of hunger and also apparently give you a bit more energy.

Yup, I was using a brand called Leppin. They were pretty good. Very important to keep your fluid intake up though.

Very high in caffeine though, so if you are sensitive or unused to it, care is required.

Dave-
13th January 2008, 17:17
not....eat?

kerfufflez
13th January 2008, 17:38
Sounds stupid, but I used smaller plates and dishes. Some dinner plates and bowls around now are absolutely gargantuan, and when I was dishing up smaller portions I was constantly thinking 'where's the rest?', 'that's not enough', 'I need seconds (thirds!)' etc. But a smaller portion on a smaller plate looked and seemed like a proper meal.

Also agree with using spices/seasonings/flavourings if you find salads too bland - your taste buds will probably get accustomed to different foods over time so you can use them less and less after the initial shock to the system.

There's no such thing as a 'bad' food, it's just a matter of how much and how often. Don't cut out completely any food, i.e if you deny yourself chocolate or icecream, for example, you can be sure you'll probably just obsess about them and binge later on.

Try and prepare a few extra meals and bung them in the freezer for the times when you just can't be bothered and are ready to eat whatever you can grab i.e make sure that whatever is at hand is good, and not junk.

Easier said than done, but try not to be intimidated by others at the gym - chances are they're just looking at themselves anyway, lol - plus they all had to start somewhere too.

Hope your weight loss goes well for you.

MyGSXF
13th January 2008, 18:05
For anyone seriously interested in losing weight SAFELY & EASILY.. please check out my website.. :2thumbsup

www.healthylifestylenz.com

Personally, I lost 2 1/2 kgs & 15 cms of body fat in 2 1/2 weeks!!!

There is no counting calories, no weighing portions, & most importantly NO feeling hungry!! It's simply brilliant!! :first:

Can also be used for those wanting to gain weight.. or for those who would just like to get some EXCELLENT nutrition into their system. You will certainly notice a huge increase in energy levels!!!! :wari:

Jen :rockon:

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 18:49
Small plates make perfect sense.

Mully, I like your style....might be time to invest in a gym membership.

Mully
13th January 2008, 19:26
Mully, I like your style....might be time to invest in a gym membership.

If you don't do that, at least find something else to do which is active.

Gym tends to be the most effective method. If you have a dog, take it for a *brisk* walk every day. If you have kids, take them to the park every day. Join a touch team. Go swimming. Anything to burn calories.

At the end of the day, it's:
Calories in - calories out. You need the out to be larger than the in to lose weight.

Weaver
13th January 2008, 19:33
This works for the models

But seriously I have no suggestions other than don't eat as much.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 19:46
Another noob questions. How do I count how many calories go in and how many I burn?

fireliv
13th January 2008, 19:55
Hey good luck it aint easy.

I havent read through the whole thread so this might have been mentioned, but ever thought of weight watchers??? I have a mate that goes, she has lost 10KG in bout 4 months, mainly by eating better. With excercise as well she could have lost it quicker. She told me that there are guys that go to. Cost bout $18 a week for weigh in and meetings, but can really help people change there food habits for life.

Best of luck to ya anyways!

nodrog
13th January 2008, 19:58
cut your head off, instant 5 or so kilo weight loss, and i gaurantee you will lose the rest in no time :niceone:

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 20:08
Weight Watchers has crossed my mind and I havent ruled it out yet...Im still waiting on 2 people to get back to me inregards to their diets.

My head weights only 1 kg, I have next to no brain...just a peanut :)

chanceyy
13th January 2008, 20:35

One of the other things that is stuck in mind is how diet food is so bland and boring. Im not a huge fan of salads because they leave me feeling empty. I LOVE Sushi but cant afford to buy or make that every day so what are some good ideas for food.

Morning tea - Apple

THanks for all the help!

change the wholemeal bread for flat wraps .. even less carbs & can fill & roll ..

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 20:37
Ahhh very good point....flat wraps it is...thanks!

kerfufflez
13th January 2008, 20:39
Maybe play around with this website a bit to get some more info (from the NHS- UK)

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/magazine/interactive/calories/index.aspx

chanceyy
13th January 2008, 20:40
I have lost 20 kgs over last two yrs & kept it off .. now embarking on next stage & next 20 kgs ..

I am pretty active, & definately not a wee thing .. & never find it easy to lose weight .. however slow & steady is the key and make those key changes in your lifestyle .. its never a diet .. it must be a total lifestyle change or you will go back to bad habits pretty quickly.

also the quicker it comes off the quicker it goes on + interest ..

Grub
13th January 2008, 20:41
Weight Watchers has crossed my mind and I havent ruled it out yet...

I lost 20kg in 36 weeks with Weight Watchers. I took it pretty seriously and it worked. Some of the things to do that keeps you focussed and on he plan
- go to the meetings. Its only once a week but it reminds you of what you're trying to achieve. If you strike a good coordinator they're even better. Those who don't do the meetings don't loose weight - simple.
- use the diary (on the web these days) to monitor every meal and record how many points you're up to each day. You get to know what foods are ok and which ones to avoid
- you will start reading the "Nutritional Information" panel on all the food you buy. It's incredible how much crap the food companies are feeding into your system. You'll find HUGE points differences between brands in simple things - mayonnaise for example. This allows you to still buy some stuff you like but you might change brands for the better.

The meetings discuss ideas for still fillling your face but not packing it on and you also find things that you cherish are amazingly bad for ya. In the Weightwatchers points system you're likely to have around 21-25 ponts per day. Well I found out that my cherished morning tea blueberry muffin was worth 14 points! Incredible, you can stuff yourself with the right food on 25 points and here was one muffin taking more than half!

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 20:42
Nice calculator...thanks for that mate!

So thinking im going to be walking 60+mins a day and eating right would 25kgs in 6-8months be out of the question. I will join a gym also!

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 20:45
Both my mother and sister are or have been on the points system.

My sister lost around 20kgs on it so it does work...I will look into it further.

Swoop
13th January 2008, 20:52
I have a dodgy left leg...
Kill two birds with one stone...

Have the leg amputated! Saves the weight of the leg as well!

jonbuoy
13th January 2008, 21:01
Don't you need to do a timed 10K run for entry fitness? Running/Walking EVERY day will drop it off you like you won't believe.

kneescraper
13th January 2008, 21:04
Your dead right on the run Jonbuoy, I can run now and just 4 years ago I was a well trainned runner so getting good enough for the timed run shouldnt be to hard. I need to lose weight for my health as my heart a few problems with it...nothing to bad but enough to worry a fulla.

Also the mrs kneescraper is getting sick of my beer belly!

Horse
13th January 2008, 21:30
If you're of the geek persuasion, read this! (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/)

It's really the same stuff as written upthread, but from an engineering POV. This will "click" with some people (it did for me) and not for others.

Curious_AJ
13th January 2008, 21:34
Hey all,

Cheers all.

hint: eat a big breakfast and then make lunch the second biggest and dinner the smallest meal of the day.

another hint: alternatively, eat small meals often... by that i mean divide your meals so that you're eating 6 times a day instead of three but at only half the portion each time.

oh, and don't forget to eat LOTS of salad!!!

p.s celery and unsalted popcorn are good filling snacks that burn more calories chewing them than they give you!

cynna
13th January 2008, 22:10

I know Texmo was using them, does anyone else have experience with these?

the good ones have been banned thanks to party pills etc. i think most of them now are just caffine based - they used to containe yohimbe, ephidrene (sp) etc

cynna
13th January 2008, 22:17
have you has a look at bodyforlife.com

there are other similar plans out there as well. mainly just sensible eating and a decent cardio and weights program. the most important thing is sticking to it and not giving up

is there a weight limit for the police or do you just need to pass the fitness tests?

Mully
14th January 2008, 07:38
Another noob questions. How do I count how many calories go in and how many I burn?

Don't stress too much about calories per se, especially if you are eating well and exercising regularly. Just realise if you have that slice of chocolate cake, there will have to be excerise consequences.

My nutritionist explained it to me thus: (It's a bit simplistic, but it worked for me);
You have two fuel tanks. Your stomach and your fat stores. If your stomach tank is full, all the extra energy you eat goes to fat stores
Your body will burn the stomach fuel first. This is why exercising on an empty stomach is preferable.
When your stomach tank is empty, your body burns fat stores, and keeps burning them for an hour or so. This is why you shouldn't eat breakfast for an hour after you finish at the gym

When you join the gym, pay for a couple of Personal Trainer sessions. they will show you correct form for weights, and give you your target heart rate for when you do cardio to get the best result.

Mully
14th January 2008, 07:40
have you has a look at bodyforlife.com

is there a weight limit for the police or do you just need to pass the fitness tests?

Body for Life does work, but it is prohibitively expensive and most of the result comes from the supplements, so it is hard to maintain.

No, I think the Police just have fitness tests, not weight requirements. I looked into joining, but my eyes needed lasering.

imdying
14th January 2008, 08:06
12 kgs since the middle of November... 96kgs down to 84kgs now (6 ft tall). Don't do any exercise, still drink too much, just halved what I eat.

The imdying diet plan:

- Breakfast, bowl of cereal, maybe a small glass of juice to (except Sundays, wife brings me three slices of toast with peanut butter in bed)
- Lunch, 4 slices of bread, either salad or salami or peanut butter
- Dinner, whatever the wife makes, regular portion. Sometimes a bowl of ice cream with 3 scoops of whatever, piled with choc fudge sauce, nuts, choc chips etc, but only once a week
- During the day, maybe a pie at morning tea, plus always a can of drink and a box of choc milk
- Typically after getting home from work I'll drink another 2 cans of coke, maybe a couple of beers too

Exercise sucks, although I would like a weight bench.

I do spend long hours in the garage working on the bike, a lot of sanding. You can lose 2kgs in a day if you sit in 34 degree sun in a black acrylic fisherman knit jersey, sanding a plug to take a mould off :whistle:

And that's it... I guess the only thing I've cut out (apart from halving portion sizes) is things like chocolate muffins for morning and afternoon tea.

Oh, and stress works well...

trump-lady
14th January 2008, 08:10
Thanks P38, I wish i only had to lose 20KG...Im going to try to get into the Police, I use to be so fit..run every day after work and then hit the gym after tea. However married life kicked it and it all when to the shitta.

Im all signed up too....one thing I have to do is the fitness so I hear you on that! I used tp play USA state Vball and basketball and now cant even walk up the stairs. Youve just inspired me :) Think its time ti have another bash at losing weight and getting the fitness levels back up....keep us posted on your success :)

imdying
14th January 2008, 08:48
Awww man, had a look at one of those BMI calculators... apparently I'm obese!!! I'm a little festively plump, but there's no need to call a nigga names :crybaby:

Mully
14th January 2008, 09:31
Awww man, had a look at one of those BMI calculators... apparently I'm obese!!! I'm a little festively plump, but there's no need to call a nigga names :crybaby:

Ignore BMI, it's a complete crock. It doesn't allow for being broad or anything.
Unless you are average build, BMI won't work.

Joni
14th January 2008, 09:37
Ignore BMI, it's a complete crock. It doesn't allow for being broad or anything.
Unless you are average build, BMI won't work.Pity the medical world take it as the steadfast rule....

I'm tired of my little tubby self now :(... next year this time I hope we can re-look at this thread and have successes to share!

imdying
14th January 2008, 09:42
Unless you are average build, BMI won't work.I am average build!! :crybaby: Bastards!!!!

Nothing wrong with a little tubby Joni, more cushion for the pushin :yes:

Harry33
14th January 2008, 10:01
Everyone here has pretty much offered good advice. Losing weight is not the easiest thing to do it takes hard work, and being that you want to join the police force you will need to have a good level of fitness. My advice is to keep up the walking (move to a light jog when you feel you can) throw in some hills or steps (walking up a incline will help you burn more calories as well as improve you level of fitness)Mix it up when it comes to working out to make it interesting. Try swimming,biking,cross trainers and weights to build some muscle. Cardio and a good clean diet is the king to losing weight. You need to burn more calories than your eating to lose weight. Anyway good luck.

On a side note...

I've lost and keep off 15 pounds in six months and are slowly seeing signs of abs for the first time in my entire 35 year life.

I'll be shifting back home to NZ next month and can't wait to shock a few friends.

imdying
14th January 2008, 10:10
Oh, you're wanting to join the coppers? Run. Every day. Twice. 4kms. In a tracksuit or orther such heat keeping in exercise clothing. Can't go past running for sorting your fitness level out, nothing better.

Mully
14th January 2008, 11:08
Pity the medical world take it as the steadfast rule....

This is true. Most are starting to look at Body Fat percentage though, which is of course preferable.

I recall something on Fair Go where a weight lifter was considered obese because of his muscle mass.

Remember children, muscle is heaver than fat.

Mully
14th January 2008, 11:11
Oh, and investigate and invest in some quality shoes.

I prefer New Balance, but that's just my feet. Find a good brand that fits you well.

If you are going to be running, buy running shoes. If you are in the gym, a quality crosstraining shoe is the go.

Believe me, you will not regret buying a $120 plus pair of gym shoes.

Street Gerbil
14th January 2008, 11:28
Running 10kms at lunchtime every day does the trick for me.

SVboy
14th January 2008, 16:25
I have a bowl of museli mixed with rolled oats/low fat milk every morning. No morning tea. Lunch is fruit/veges only=5 plus a day. No afternoon snacks or pre tea treats. Tea is lo fat-very little meat-salad sandwichs-vege concoctions-good old baked beans! Protein from eggs/edam cheese. Coffee-no sugar/low fat milk. I run 10km every second day and do a few brief exersizes each day-pushups/crunchs. I walk to work[lucky I can]. By being quite disciplined in this LIFESTYLE I can have the occasional treat-night on the beers-morning tea shout without much concequence. I also think being healthy makes biking more fun too!

Pixie
15th January 2008, 08:37
I recently developed a gastric ulcer - it's easy to lose weight when eating hurts

bikerboy011
15th January 2008, 09:25
yep give the gym ago it would help you alot more. Walking for an hour is not enough, jogging would be much better you would burn more calories faster. You have to be very stricket on your diet keep a record of how much calories you get per day, id say 1500-2000 calories per day depends on your body weight, also eat meals with hight protein, low carbs and fat and heaps veges. I hope this helps :)

imdying
18th January 2008, 10:42
Down to 82kgs now... yesterday I had two donut shaped chocolate éclairs, one at morning and one at afternoon tea, and a swiss roll with chips for tea.

Today it'll be 2 cream buns and half a dozen savouries for lunch :yes:

The imdying diet gets two thumbs up :2thumbsup