PDA

View Full Version : The Great KB Lanesplitting Poll

jrandom
9th August 2003, 13:54
Dunno if I'm doing this right, but here goes with the poll.

Fire away, guys. The more the merrier...

bikerboy
9th August 2003, 14:16
good job jrandom :niceone:

Big Dog
9th August 2003, 14:41
This should get some interesting results:done:

Kwaka-Kid
9th August 2003, 16:29
i choose the middle option, as its the best bang for my buck - cant cost me any fines, so long as i indicate everytime my wheels are about to go over hte line, for 3 seconds before hand. (okay that can be hard, but still, a cop wouldnt fine me if the traffic is stopped) soon as the traffic moves tho, boom, i find a spot, indicate, then give the cage that let me in a little wave with my clutch hand.

Urban Terrorist
9th August 2003, 22:12
Down here in the provinces, I tend to split through traffic at the lights, and slower moving traffic on my way home from work. Coming back from the Mt 6 days a week it becomes necessary for my sanity. Once traffic is moving at a reasonable pace I'll find a gap and merge before getting to the bridge.
Even if there is only one car in each lane at the lights I'll split them, just on principle. :niceone:

Marmoot
9th August 2003, 22:36
Ride like you're in a cage

.....unless it's an open road.

Andrew
9th August 2003, 23:45
and on the other boundary of insanity we have ColdKiwi. Right CK?

Coldkiwi
11th August 2003, 12:03
dunno what you're talking about andrew!!

if I wanted to stay dry and have nice music, i'd get a car and take an hour to commute instead of sitting oin the rain on a bike.. thats option 5 out.

likewise with option 4... there's not that many lights on my route to work.. i'd still be looking at 55 minutes commute. not really an option.

option 3...Feck.. if I waited till all the cars actually stopped still, I'd never get anywhere!

option 2.. probably the more sensible, but years of bussing and experience of auckland cage drivers has left me bitter and twisted.. and impatient. Still too slow.

Option 1 it is :)

Andrew
11th August 2003, 21:36
I have to say that cos my bike doesn't have the capacity to go insane

SPman
12th August 2003, 19:44
option 1 1/2 ??

Wonko
11th February 2004, 11:28
2 and a half, depends on what mood I'm and if I'm (always) running late for work.

There's nothing like seeing a bike closing up fast behind you while your splitting at 60.

Hitcher
11th February 2004, 11:31
I don't trust cagers -- even when they're stopped. I'll only split when everything's well and truly stopped, and there's room! Even then I keep an alert eye in case anybody decides to throw open a door.

Racer X
11th February 2004, 12:07
When I go past cars it's LIKE they're standing still :D
Does that count?

marty
11th February 2004, 12:22
well there's not too much motorway between cambridge and hamilton, but i rarely drop below my cruise speed, i'll split anywhere, any time. and yes even if there is one car at the lights, i too will split it down the outside out of principle

Slingshot
11th February 2004, 12:48
I went with option #2, although depending how the traffic is behaving and what the weather is like I would normally split up to about 60ish.

This morning on the way into work, 1 particular cager decided that he didn't want to let me pass and at the last minute served to close the gap :mad: , then I didn't feel confindent about attempting it again cause there was no telling what he would have done, words can't describe how F&*@ed off I was. I need to figure out what I can do to the bastards that do that.

Yesterday I went for a ride up to Waikanae and was about to split at the traffic lights in Paraparaumu, that is until I noticed the mufty HP three cars up. So I quickly assumed a posistion back behind the car I was following :innocent: .

Marmoot
11th February 2004, 13:30
But no matter how f*&ked off you feel, if you're lying on the ground with some broken bike bits then you're not winning....

That's just a food for thought for those splitting at 60 around standstill traffic.

jrandom
11th February 2004, 13:33
I need to figure out what I can do to the bastards that do that.

Er. Ball bearings and water pistols filled with brake fluid come to mind.

Slingshot
11th February 2004, 13:54
That's just a food for thought for those splitting at 60 around standstill traffic.

Don't get me wrong, if the traffic is stopped I don't blast through at 60Kmph. I guess I would go up to about a 30K speed differential.

James Deuce
11th February 2004, 15:43

Knowing my luck, I'd drop the ballbearings into my carbs, and the water pistol with brake fluid would leak all over my bike. And probably pool in my crutch, causing nasty chemical burns after it ate through my trousers.

Zed
12th February 2004, 09:26
Dunno if I'm doing this right, but here goes with the poll.

Fire away, guys. The more the merrier...
I believe that fate will catch up with those who chose No.1...unfortunately that maybe me one day because I tend to get "provoked" by other biker lunatics sometimes to split at higher speeds than my normal boundaries permit! :sweatdrop

Normally I ride somewhere in between No.2 & 3.

For what it's worth here's something to take note of for all you lane splitters, this was right from the 'horses mouth' last year (a biker cop): It is illegal to pass a vehicle on the left hand side. Therefore, when you pass make sure you turn your right hand indicator on and split the outside lane passing cars on their right hand side- i.e passing vehicles on the inside lane on their left hand side is illegal. This is a technicality only and probably won't release you from a fine because the cop also told me that you can only lane split (on the rh side) when vehicles are stationary! <_<

Zed

Marmoot
12th February 2004, 09:38
Don't get me wrong, if the traffic is stopped I don't blast through at 60Kmph. I guess I would go up to about a 30K speed differential.

Good on ya :)

jrandom
12th February 2004, 09:57
the cop also told me that you can only lane split (on the rh side) when vehicles are stationary!

Hmmm. Methinks this likely be bollocks. Without checking the relevant legislation I'm pretty sure that passing a moving vehicle on the RHS within a marked lane is entirely legal if you indicate appropriately, don't cross the centerline and don't exceed any speed limits. And you *can* lane split on the *LHS* (not just RH) when vehicles are stationary! Look it up folks, it's legal to pass on the left when the passee is stationary or turning right.

They could, I imagine, argue careless/reckless/dangerous due to proximity of cars in lanes and all that but the fact remains that they couldn't slap any $150 instants down (without actually lying about the facts) for splitting on the left of the line while indicating, or splitting on the right of the line past stopped traffic. I'd argue that motorway-stopped traffic (as opposed to traffic-light stopped) wouldn't count as 'stopped', though, since it's more a waveform than a stopped column of cars.

Just goes to show, it all comes down to which cop catches you, which is why I simply stop filtering in the presence of cops. Been doing that for a year and ain't been close to caught yet. Here's hoping the luck continues.

Zed
12th February 2004, 10:11
Just goes to show, it all comes down to which cop catches you, which is why I simply stop filtering in the presence of cops. Been doing that for a year and ain't been close to caught yet. Here's hoping the luck continues.
I'd be keen on hearing from any of you who have been pulled up for lane splitting- no doubt there would be some entertaining stories! :mad:

Zed

Marmoot
12th February 2004, 10:19
We talked about this before.

My experience is it was ok in normal traffic, but "no-left-split" on motorways. $150 ticket by a bike-cop in North Shore (Southbound before Onewa Rd onramp) was enough to deter me.
The same info he gave me: it's ok to split on ANY lane as long as u stay on right side of the car in your lane.
Which sounds like stupid practice but necessary legality.

They actually have the "keep-left" rule for cars and 5 demerit points for not doing that, but not enforced :(

riffer
12th February 2004, 10:22
I don't know about you guys but on the Hutt Motorway you quite often have to split on the left hand side as you either get cars deliberately closing the gaps or they are just too pig-ignorant to notice you.

I saw one guy on a 400 BROS give up this morning and use the breakdown lane - naughty - that's one place I definitely keep away from!

Coldkiwi
12th February 2004, 10:48
cops seem ok with the left passing if its stationary. I was running late (hold your gaffaws please) and with all the traffic locked up yesterday morning I decided to trundle very slowly past two seperate HP cars along the southern motorway. Neither of them batted a doughnut so I can only assume (snarky letters arriving in my mail box excluded) that they're ok with it.

yeah.. using emergency lane is really asking for a hiding. $600 for the govt thank you.

Racer X
12th February 2004, 12:38
Breakdown lane is illegal is it?? I had heard that bikers are now allowed to ride in bus lanes whenever they want. Is that true?

jrandom
12th February 2004, 12:57
Breakdown lane is illegal is it?? I had heard that bikers are now allowed to ride in bus lanes whenever they want. Is that true?

I've had tickets for:

- using the breakdown lane (failing to drive within a marked lane, $150)
- using the bus lane on the mway (failing to comply with a gazetted road sign, $150)

I was informed by the cop re. the second ticket that bus lanes on main roads are fine since local councils designate them as 'transit lanes' and include bikes in the allowable users, but the bus lanes on motorways are administered separately by TNZ and are not for use by anything *except* buses. Asked for lenience in view of my (genuine) ignorance of such a distinction but he wasn't interested.

Slingshot
12th February 2004, 14:35
I had a close call while splitting my way home yesterday, a wanker in a big 4WD served to the left to close the gap I was using. I took evasive action to avoid him collecting me. It left me so little room that the "CE Approved" armour in my jacket nicked the wing mirror of the car on my left.

Bascally the gap went from around 1.5 meters to about half a meter in probably less than a second :doh:

Kwaka-Kid
12th February 2004, 14:39
Zed i believe you may have misheard the bike cop as i know them all on the motorway and the main 2 who give you hints on it, and the first thing is get the word "Lane split" out of your head.. and think of it as overtaking... now you may only overtake a moving car on the right, and must indicate to do so (right when pulling out, then left when pulling in) so the second you go over the white line on your right, you are then either failing to ride in a lane (if you were in the fast lane) or you are Overtaking on the left, bang, ticket. Now when traffic is stationary, you may "Overtake on the left" as i call it.. relate it to when a car is Indicating right, or stopped waiting to turn right into a side street... do you sit behind him? no if there is room on the road everybody goes aorund him, i.e overtaking on the left, and its legal... so yeah, thats the way i look at it, anyways being side tracked atm and need to work on bike. cyas

Jackrat
12th February 2004, 14:44
Can't really pick any of them because it is always a matter of whats going on.I like being first at the lights,as much because i know how much it pisses off the car drivers than anything else.I try to not do things to piss em' off most of the time but this is just one thing I can't help :msn-wink:

kasper
12th February 2004, 14:46
The weirdest pull up i ever had was at the 15th ave trafic lights. i lane splited down the middle of the two straightahead lanes only to find i had pulled up next to a cruiser on my left. :bye:

Leaning out the cop asked which car i was spliting with and thanks to you guys i knew i had to say i was sharing with his car. that got a laugh from the other cop in the car.

I let them lead off from the lights first.

Big Dog
12th February 2004, 14:59
In New Market today I came across a new phenomenon (to me anyway.)

A woman in a toyota corrolla hatch lanesplitting with a merc 4wd in hot pursuit.

Boy did I huff a huge sigh of relief when I got away from those loonies. :sneaky2: :thud:

Coldkiwi
12th February 2004, 16:29
hehe, speaking of loonies... my flatmate told me a funny story yesterday.
While in Hamilton on evening last weekend, he saw a WRX and EVO 4 revving their engines at some lights on the main street (not uncommon if you know anything about Hamiltons lack of night life!). He thought 'this'll be fun to watch' so stops and has a gander. Before the lights go green, who should roll up but a biker on a ZX-7R (green of course!). he splits between the two cars who are still revving their engines, looks at one driver, looks at the other, hauls on the throttle and makes gigantic din - you'd think the boy racers would get the msg). Lights go green and the two cars take off like Satan is chasing them- our friend on the ZX-7R sits there and gives them a 3 second head start. Finally lets the clutch out and tears off after them, catches them straight away and lane splits without so much as backing off the gas and raises a hand in triumph as he dissappears down the road ... THIS time the cars get the hint and back off.

who said it wasn't easy being green? :niceone:

DebK
13th February 2004, 17:45
My Sad Wee Story
On way home last month & all 3 lanes of traffic was stopped. Cruised at no more than jogging pace between inside & middle lane. Jerk in a courier van (NZ COURIERS!) yelled out "F*cken B*tch!" (I was in skirt & heals so gender was obvious) and spat at me. I was so stunned & revolted that all I wanted to do was get as far away as possible. Wished later that I had stopped and hurled abuse but I'm not that quick a retort-queen as I'd like to be!

As a result of this I now pick my time carefully when I do split. Hopefully an isolated case but now try not to pee tin-tops off if I can possibly help it. I really don't know what their issue is... jealous a-holes with no fun in their lives. They'll always go through life as sad-sh*ts.

Also learnt to constantly look behind me for bikes who do split often, in case I change lanes while they're splitting. Urgh, getting in the way of another bike worries me more than being clipped by a tin-top!

dangerous
13th February 2004, 19:08
Well..... now that I know what you lot call lane spliting I can add this, In ChCh it isent often that you need to do this as the traffic aint no were as bad as it is up north, so I may split only when the trafic is siting at a red light (poll #4) any other time down here you are grantied that a car will try to prevent you from spliting by eather hitting the breaks, swerving etc and 9 times out of 10 when you have split and are siting at a red light 1 or 2 of the cars will race you off the line and close the gap up just to be an arse hole. Hell the cars do this to them selves so we may not have the traffic or break down / bus lanes that you have up north but we serntenly have the percentage of F wits.
Those of you IMHO that split out of principle are just bating the cages to knock you of so that I cant be bothered with ;-)

Milky
13th February 2004, 22:39
I personally dont want to risk lane splitting in moving traffic, having seen plenty of incidences where drivers change lanes without properly looking behind them while in slow moving traffic... esp in AKL where the traffic is usually slow moving :( ah well, more ppl on bikes will help to solve this a bit i guess
I have had ppl cut me off when lane splitting too - maybe it is in spite, i dunno but i generally play it safe to protect me and my insurance history :p which puts me into a 3 to 3.5 category

Zed
13th February 2004, 23:13
I personally dont want to risk lane splitting in moving traffic, having seen plenty of incidences where drivers change lanes without properly looking behind them while in slow moving traffic... esp in AKL where the traffic is usually slow moving :( ah well, more ppl on bikes will help to solve this a bit i guess
I have had ppl cut me off when lane splitting too - maybe it is in spite, i dunno but i generally play it safe to protect me and my insurance history :p which puts me into a 3 to 3.5 category
Hey Milky, the next time I see you lagging behind some cage in Auckland traffic I'll give you a toot or wave as I cruise on by! Look out for me on my green machine (only if you're not concentrating too much on that polished rear bumper in front of you):banana:

Zed

Kwaka-Kid
14th February 2004, 04:31
Hey there Milky! Logan here, good to see you found KB. Anyways i reckon its great to play it safe, i pretty much do that, if the traffics moving like over 20kmph, i dont usually bother to lane split.

Jackrat
14th February 2004, 06:24
Had to take my neice up to henderson during rush hour yesterday.
Siting in the traffic at Greenlane doing about 25kms and a guy on a Harley comes past on the center line doing about 100kms.
BUGGER :baby:4X4s are better on the farm.

Al
14th February 2004, 08:02
I've found that "boy racer" cars give me gap, family in the care gives a gap, but the asswipes(some) in their european cars tend to close up on motorcycles.
I have also had courier vans closing the gap on me, luckily for them no spitting!

Coldkiwi
14th February 2004, 18:00
you'd think the couriers wouldn't mind given the antics they normally pull in the inner city. sad really

Zed
14th February 2004, 18:05
you'd think the couriers wouldn't mind given the antics they normally pull in the inner city. sad really
...those biker couriers are another story! :wacko: They go through red lights, go the wrong way up one-way streets, & I have known them to park on roundabouts- what do you do for a job again CK?? :msn-wink:

Zed

Kwaka-Kid
14th February 2004, 20:31
is CK a bike curier? no! hes some electro-physic-geek or somthing aintcha CK? (in a nice way u know, like yeah)

wkid_one
14th February 2004, 21:03
I seem to recall the Richard is an Acoustic Engineer!

Firefight
15th February 2004, 05:40
:doh:
...those biker couriers are another story! :wacko: They go through red lights, go the wrong way up one-way streets, & I have known them to park on roundabouts- what do you do for a job again CK?? :msn-wink:

Zed

:doh:

Big Dog
16th February 2004, 16:52
My Sad Wee Story
On way home last month & all 3 lanes of traffic was stopped. Cruised at no more than jogging pace between inside & middle lane. Jerk in a courier van (NZ COURIERS!) yelled out "F*cken B*tch!" (I was in skirt & heals so gender was obvious) and spat at me. I was so stunned & revolted that all I wanted to do was get as far away as possible. Wished later that I had stopped and hurled abuse but I'm not that quick a retort-queen as I'd like to be!

Ring New Zealand Couriers. I've had a couriers contract cancelled without notice for road raging. I have also had a driver fined a $1k for deliberately cutting me off. :lol:
He who laughs last......

DebK
16th February 2004, 18:51
Ring New Zealand Couriers. I've had a couriers contract cancelled without notice for road raging. I have also had a driver fined a $1k for deliberately cutting me off. :lol:
He who laughs last......
Didn't take any details down & canna be sh*gged now. Sad bugga that he was, I'm over it now. Makes for a good story anyways.

Redstar
16th February 2004, 19:56
:no: so we all now know the rule?
you can only pass traffic on the left within the same lane if the traffic is completely stationary or turning right. you should indicate a lane change 3 seconds prior. I have spent $450 on this lesson and stupid while it often is I,m sick of giving the away. Suggested defences I havent tried yet.

1. I didnt know the rule its my first experience (niave)
2. I had to do it I was forced into the lane by a nutter
3. I'm drunk (Blood test will later prove your innocence?)
4. my dad is Policeman. (and not a rapist)
5. Im a rich important person
6. I though they were all Chinese and had simply failed to indicate their intention to turn right(works in east tamaki )
7. can you put the fine on my district court $1 week drip fund heres my account number
8. its entrapment I'll sue
9. show me your warrent card your not a real cop?
10. Paul swain is my mate do you really think this is a good idea
11. what cars did I pass what were their rego numbers (Memory test for them)
12. Bullshit (instant rapore established)
13. I was taking evasive action to avoid a cute little family of ducks (animal lover)
15. I.m pregnant and have pains (for the ladies or longhaired fat blokes only)

None of this will work but your dead meat anyway so dont bother being nice

wkid_one
16th February 2004, 20:47
I am unsure why you missed 14 - but here it is

14. Fuck off and deal with real criminals you revenue collecting, should be paid by IRD, turn up 5 days late to a real crime scene git.

And I will pay $50 to the first person who uses it

Zed
16th February 2004, 21:08

14. Fuck off and deal with real criminals you revenue collecting, should be paid by IRD, turn up 5 days late to a real crime scene git.

Just obey the law Cincinnati Kid!

Havn't you learned that lesson yet? :msn-wink:

Coldkiwi
17th February 2004, 11:55
is CK a bike curier? no! hes some electro-physic-geek or somthing aintcha CK? (in a nice way u know, like yeah)

no, but I'd be tempted to give it a go as a change of pace from acoustics some day. Maybe when I move to Italy- hows that for a licence to cause havoc?- Italian bike courier!!
I can relate to their manner anyway (I work in the city so routinely do battle with blind drivers/pedestrians, kerbs and footpaths). I'm always late so I reckon the built in urgency in my riding would serve me well!

wkid_one
17th February 2004, 17:58
Just obey the law Cincinnati Kid!

Havn't you learned that lesson yet? :msn-wink: What so you have never sped, accidently crossed a centre line with indicating, pull a wheel stand, not fully come to a stop at a stop sign, never gone around a roundabout the wrong way, never passed on a yellow, ridden your bike on the footpath, parked on the footpath.....and the list goes on....

Psalm Dan 001 from the book of Wkid verse 2.1.6.3 - He who rideth a bike, shallth be exempth from the wrath of the Almightly in the eventh of minor traffic offences upon said day of judgementh.

As you can appreciate, I am writing my own 'bible' and therefore creating my own deity - I am calling him Bob. And Bob lives underwater (which is the equivilent of heaven). By my logic, I can therefore write my own 'bible' to accomodate my own said vices (cigars, porn, drink, porn, bikes, porn....) - and upon the day of reckoning be free to enter said Utopia with a blessing from Bob. This way I can truly embrace my higher being (out of the gutters you DM) and continue life knowing that I am living with the blessing of Bob and am assured a place in the Nirvana that is Heaven. My logic seems infallible. Plus - my heaven will have all the latest model motorbikes ( which are impossible to crash), a track closely resembling Suzuka, lots of naked chicks, free booze, cigars that don't cause cancer, and the list goes on. Now I have created it, I can't wait to get there.....well, I can - but it will be fun when I do get there.

Big Dog
17th February 2004, 18:07
Psalm Dan 001 from the book of Wkid verse 2.1.6.3 - He who rideth a bike, shallth be exempth from the wrath of the Almightly in the eventh of minor traffic offences upon said day of judgementh.
What are those two quotes again?
Judge not least ye .........
The one about the mote in your neighbours eye?
I'm sure Z can fill us in. :eek5:

Batcerb
17th February 2004, 18:26
Coldkiwi -
That story about the Ninja 7 was brilliant! When will cagers learn ...

Zed
17th February 2004, 22:21
What so you have never sped, accidently crossed a centre line with indicating, pull a wheel stand, not fully come to a stop at a stop sign, never gone around a roundabout the wrong way, never passed on a yellow, ridden your bike on the footpath, parked on the footpath.....and the list goes on....

As you can appreciate, I am writing my own 'bible' and therefore creating my own deity - I am calling him Bob. And Bob lives underwater (which is the equivilent of heaven). By my logic, I can therefore write my own 'bible' to accomodate my own said vices (cigars, porn, drink, porn, bikes, porn....) - and upon the day of reckoning be free to enter said Utopia with a blessing from Bob. This way I can truly embrace my higher being (out of the gutters you DM) and continue life knowing that I am living with the blessing of Bob and am assured a place in the Nirvana that is Heaven. My logic seems infallible. Plus - my heaven will have all the latest model motorbikes ( which are impossible to crash), a track closely resembling Suzuka, lots of naked chicks, free booze, cigars that don't cause cancer, and the list goes on. Now I have created it, I can't wait to get there.....well, I can - but it will be fun when I do get there.
IIIIII love it when you take the bait Wkid...of course I was joking- couldn't you tell by my winking smiley? :sneaky2:

You go ahead and write your own bible (means book), looks like you've already made a start! If you get just ONE other person to put their faith and trust in "Bob" for their salvation (excluding derilicts, mental patients, and BBunny!) then I will make a public acknowledgement that you "aren't" full of hot air!

I'll give you credit where it's due though- you do have quite an imagination about the afterlife...however, what the Bible says about heaven far exceeds anything you could ever think up in your mortal head.

Note: Criticising my belief system & God is an grave error on your part, for it is my strongest area of defense. :D

Kind regards,

Zed

wkid_one
18th February 2004, 06:31
IIIIII love it when you take the bait Wkid...of course I was joking- couldn't you tell by my winking smiley? :sneaky2:

Note: Criticising my belief system & God is an grave error on your part, for it is my strongest area of defense. :D

Speaking of taking the bait.......

Who says I was criticising......I was merely presently my alternative religion.

Pop a wheelie

Coldkiwi
18th February 2004, 11:23
they probably won't batcerb but its our duty to educate them! Who said school wasn't any fun?

as for wkid and zed... man, you guys thrash about like a niggly mako shark with a hook through its head. entertaining and all but not much headway being made

Zed
18th February 2004, 11:41
...entertaining and all but not much headway being made
I wouldn't say that bud...I have faith that one day Wkid will see the error of his ways. :laugh:

Zed

Trevor Suzuki
18th February 2004, 20:20
:banana: I was reading on another post about the French guy that went round the Paris peripherique in 11 minutes. The video is downloadable from this site but I don't have the speed to download...anyway I found the original story about this in a French paper and this guy redefines the term lanesplitting. Here are the facts:

The Peripherique is 35.460 kms in length.
It was done in rush hour traffic at 7.30 in the morning!
He completed the circuit in 11 minutes with an average speed of 192.73 km/h on a GSX-R 1100. (I think in about 1991).
In the article the rider (name not given but known as the Black Prince) said he couldn't go over 290 km/h as the camera strapped to the tank got in the way otherwise he usually tops 310 "sans probleme".

It seems the lesson to be learnt from this guy is that with the advances in Video camera technlogy since the early 90's we are no longer hindered by having a brick strapped to our tanks.

Stay lucky!

Zed
18th February 2004, 20:49
:banana: I was reading on another post about the French guy that went round the Paris peripherique in 11 minutes. The video is downloadable from this site but I don't have the speed to download...anyway I found the original story about this in a French paper and this guy redefines the term lanesplitting. Here are the facts:

The Peripherique is 35.460 kms in length.
It was done in rush hour traffic at 7.30 in the morning!
He completed the circuit in 11 minutes with an average speed of 192.73 km/h on a GSX-R 1100. (I think in about 1991).
In the article the rider (name not given but known as the Black Prince) said he couldn't go over 290 km/h as the camera strapped to the tank got in the way otherwise he usually tops 310 "sans probleme".

It seems the lesson to be learnt from this guy is that with the advances in Video camera technlogy since the early 90's we are no longer hindered by having a brick strapped to our tanks.

Stay lucky!
I think this guy actually died soon after this event!

Now there's a lesson.:disapint:

Zed

wkid_one
19th February 2004, 06:21
they probably won't batcerb but its our duty to educate them! Who said school wasn't any fun?

as for wkid and zed... man, you guys thrash about like a niggly mako shark with a hook through its head. entertaining and all but not much headway being made
I know - it is bloody entertaining......anywho, my posts are fewer and fewer these days

jrandom
19th February 2004, 08:57
If you get just ONE other person to put their faith and trust in "Bob" for their salvation

Er. Um. Zed...

Bob is more or less a recognised deity these days. Google for Discordianism and the Church of the Subgenius. Wkid just seems to be reinventing him a little, which is probably the way Eris likes it, in any case.

And don't anyone get Zed started on the similarities between wkid's philosophy and the official teachings of the Church of Satan :lol:

Anyway. 'Road bike stuff'? We're all :Offtopic:

jrandom
19th February 2004, 13:14
hmmmm... filtering... could start a new thread but since this one's active why bother.

You know you need to tone it down after getting overexcited and doing 120 through almost-stopped traffic in 1A, running out of space to brake when a car pulls over in front and doing a nutter-on-the-Peripherique stylee swerve through to lane 3 and back down 2A with inches to spare on either side. Heartrate doubled, adrenaline took about half an hour to drain out after I got home.

This was on Tuesday evening; I'd been sitting behind a bike courier on a ZXR400 for a while and the testosterone took over. When he rode past later as I took the offramp, he shook his head and did the 'tap side of helmet' gesture. Gave me pause for thought, given that he hadn't exactly been slouching his way through the traffic, and I know the rep those courier guys have for being nutters.

Props to the MT75s, though... halfway across lane 2 at what felt like almost horizontal, aiming for a gap, I was pretty sure I was going down under the car behind but they held on famously with nary a squiggle.

The whole event probably took less than three seconds but felt more like ten minutes - the 'time slowing' effect is really weird.

There would have been a few commuters shaking their heads that night... I'm afraid I didn't do the 'crazy biker' stereotype much good.

On an unrelated note, my in-helmet rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" this morning was absolutely marvellous.

wkid_one
19th February 2004, 15:55
If you get just ONE other person to put their faith and trust in "Bob" for their salvation (excluding derilicts, mental patients, and BBunny!) then I will make a public acknowledgement that you "aren't" full of hot air!
Hey Zed...it looks like Jrandom may be a starter for one

Bob is more or less a recognised deity these days. Google for Discordianism and the Church of the Subgenius. Wkid just seems to be reinventing him a little, which is probably the way Eris likes it, in any case. Looks like you should practice starting that public acknowledgement soon

Coldkiwi
19th February 2004, 16:35
struth J! I think its time you gave the FXR the flick and got something with hotter braking! When the couriers think you're nuts you KNOW you need to calm down a bit. I'll admit it is easy to get a little carried away (lord knows having 600cc and good brakes on hand makes the silliest things seem easy and ever-so-tenpting) but I hope you're a little calmer getting on your bike now you've had a scare (the times i've crashed have been when I was in a super "i'm king of the world' mood and when I was dog tired- BEWARE!)

Two Smoker
19th February 2004, 16:47
Shite, the couriors think ur too crazy????????:eek5: I know ive sum crazy dum but ur taking the cake lol. Time to get a new bike AND tone it dwn, or bye bye Jrandom:doh:

Maybe u should try track days lol. Yea thos MT75's arnt tht bad on small bikes aye, mine have held well for the caining they get:rockon:
(Sorry my rims are too small to fit DIablos and BT 010's :disapint: If only........)

Kwaka-Kid
19th February 2004, 23:42
stuff the 010's i say 090's all the way! but what about Sport Demons on those? they prolly dont make them that small either.. its such a shame, i know they dont have great HP but they brake so fast, they need good rubber these small bikes of ours.

Motoracer
20th February 2004, 10:20
I am not very fond of Sports demons. Just not enough stick. I don't mind sliding around for some fun but when things get a bit serious I would like a bit more confidence on my tires. I am definetly getting GPR 70s for the TZR next time. Maybe its my crap riding cause everyone else seems to think very highly of the sports demons.

jrandom
20th February 2004, 10:33
struth J! I think its time you gave the FXR the flick and got something with hotter braking!

Yes. Am currently taking it a little easier... already crashed once while filtering, glad it wasn't twice, this one would have been nastier.

I think I need a super-retard or a race rep 600. The brakes are good on the FXR, it just doesn't have enough rubber on the road to control the stopping. Wheels lock far too quickly, even with the MT75s on.

Kwaka-Kid
20th February 2004, 11:13
apparently Sport Demons are made from the same compound as the Diablo's i beleive? and they are the stickiest Crossply tyre around im sure! (or close to) in radials you get good... but crossplys just are/were not developed enough i think?

Coldkiwi
20th February 2004, 16:38
thats one of the best things about getting a >250cc bike: Full choice of tyres!
I wouldn't have thought the sport demons compound were as per a diablo tho KK. the demons have been out for a while and the diablo is still pretty new. Besides that, the sport demon is marketed at the sport tourer end of Pirelli's market and the diablos are pointed at more sport road. I don't know for sure but I would think that would necessitate a different compound entirely

Kwaka-Kid
20th February 2004, 22:30
no no CK, it was either on their site, or maybe it was mt eden that told me actually? cant remember, but its apparently the same as one of their radial sport tyres, either diablos or SC's or something. sorry i have a piss-poor memory eh :( a well, either way i feel they are amoungst the best you can get for crossplys, what else have you got to choose from? ME's and even their Comp K tyres SUCK! Mich macadams (the softer ones, i liked all their range) dunlop Elites (i think my dads a fan of these, used to be on GS1000, a bald front one felt good to me) i dunno, just seems to be more in the radial market aimed at racing no commuting.

Slingshot
23rd February 2004, 13:51
I split passed a police car today :whistle:
I was heading into Wellington and there was traffic backed up going into the Terrace Tunnel, I was happily splitting between the two lanes when I spotted the HP car 3 cars ahead. My first reaction was to get on the brakes, but then I thought, nah F*** it, I'll flick my right indicator on and try continue overtaking in the right part of the left lane.
I went past but didn't look to see if they had seen me, I figured even if they wanted to pull me over they would have a hard time getting through the traffic :sneaky2:

One thing I look out for when splitting is gaps in the traffic, it seems that as soon as a gap appears some dickhead will change lanes erratically to fill it. It's pretty easy to spot the gaps and then you can ready yourself if the need arrises.

jrandom
23rd February 2004, 13:57
I split passed a police car today :whistle:

Good on yer. So did I. Legal overtake, what are they gonna do?

Zed
23rd February 2004, 14:11
I went past but didn't look to see if they had seen me, I figured even if they wanted to pull me over they would have a hard time getting through the traffic :sneaky2:
If they think you are breaking the law they just record your plate and catch up with you later...has happened to many a motorist who thought they "got away with it." :eek:

Don't you just hate it when you get one of those "anonymous" letters in the mail with a Wellington postal address on the back!! In some cases they'll visit you at home or work too.

Zed

jrandom
23rd February 2004, 14:29
If they think you are breaking the law they just record your plate and catch up with you later

Yesh, thass why it's a good idea not to break the law around them. Or at least perfect the leg-stretched-backwards-with-foot-covering-numberplate technique.

Of course, in this case, Slingshot *wasn't* breaking the law, so any cop who wanted to make a fuss would be told in court to go get nutted.

SPman
23rd February 2004, 16:23

Make it $500 and you're on!

Mind you, they've probably heard it all before anyway :Police: :finger:

Zed
10th June 2004, 23:13
Talking about lane-splitting, I saw two bikers nearly go up the rear of cars on separate occasians on the way home from work yesterday. One guy was watching me too carefully approaching from behind and had to hit the anchors because the traffic had come to a halt- he lost his balance and ended up needing to put his foot down to stop from going over. The other guy was 20m in front of me and locked his brakes up causing heaps of smoke when a cage changed lanes suddenly (forget the 3 second indication rule on the Ak motorway system in peak hour traffic). What made me chuckle was this biker shaking his head at the cage as he passed it, when they were obviously both in the wrong. :eyepoke:

Zed

FROSTY
10th June 2004, 23:46
I must say i prefer the old zigzag than actual lane splitting.taking possession of a space be it a small or large gap.

jrandom
11th June 2004, 06:46
What made me chuckle was this biker shaking his head at the cage as he passed it, when they were obviously both in the wrong. :eyepoke:

Hmmm. Yes, I'm way past blaming cages for pulling over in front of me. I don't expect them to see me coming, I take responsibility for my *own* safety.

That said - I had an interesting experience last night. It might seem a bit silly and obvious, but never forget that mental fatigue is probably the biggest hit you'll take to riding ability, particularly in a situation like filtering. I almost ran into the back of cars on two separate occasions because I was sluggish while checking my mirrors, etc. I *felt* fine, but then I realised when I got home that I'd had a particularly hard-out day, and my brain was just... poked. It really does make a noticeable difference to riding performance.

RiderInBlack
11th June 2004, 08:20
Fu*ken always filtering when passing through JAFFA-land if the "cans" are crawling.

What the point of riding a bike if you can't use it's advantages?

Not many places you can line-spilt in Whanga-rain (roads are to narrow and the "cagers" are uneducated):no:
Tuaranga was awesome for spilting (nice wide roads, medium strips and bike knowledgeable "cagers"):2thumbsup

Most enjoyable lane-spilts:
Wellington, trying to get to the ferry on time (taken from an article I wrote for the BOP CC's Newsletter) -
"8am, Wellington fu*ken rush-hour fu*ken traffic! OK Bat-Bike (my nickname for the black VFR750 I owned at the time), it looks like we are going to have to show the Beamer (K1 that was riding with me) how to fu*ken deal with this. Look there’s a spare lane just built for bikes between the other lines, see! Hello copper, yes we’re being good bikers and not holding up the other traffic. Look we can even stay left of the centre line! Don’t want to follow? OK. Now that’s not every nice of that Big Horn closing the gap like that! We’ll just slip around the other side of him and leave him jerking-off on his horn (bet he has to get a fucken magnifying glass to find it!).
It’s 8:30am, at the ferry terminal and on fu*ken time!"

Southern Auckland motorway heading to Tauranga. Bloody traffic down to a crawl again. Filtering through the "cagers" happily, past a "caged" MP at a measly 30KPH and he turns his megaphone on!
"Mutter, mumble, something about a gap, murmur, grrrr" was about all I could hear through the helmet. Really good safety items those, just another reason why you should always wear a helmet on a bike. They cut out distracting background "noises".:2thumbsup
If he wanted to get me to stop, he should have flashed his lights:moon: . Not that that would have made much difference, as he was as stuck in the traffic as sardine in a can:killingme

Magua
17th June 2004, 21:23
I very rarely lane split, Maybe when I get my restricted + RG I'll start.

riffer
18th June 2004, 08:29
I very rarely lane split, Maybe when I get my restricted + RG I'll start.
Lane splitting in Wellington is almost compulsory, if you don't want to fry your clutch. Of course, it has its disadvantages, like falling off when you get people cutting in front of you.

But I'm not put off at all. :bleh: I'll still be splitting when I get the bike sorted.

Zed
29th September 2004, 10:25
I saw this 'nutter' on a 150cc splitting traffic this morning along the motorway. He passed me and gave me a wave, I tried desperately to keep up with him but at 80kms through standstill traffic I wasn't insane enough to continue my efforts!

I wondered if he was maybe running late for work or summat? :msn-wink:

jrandom
29th September 2004, 10:31
I saw this 'nutter' on a 150cc splitting traffic this morning along the motorway. He passed me and gave me a wave, I tried desperately to keep up with him but at 80kms through standstill traffic I wasn't insane enough to continue my efforts!

I wondered if he was maybe running late for work or summat? :msn-wink:

A good night's sleep, two cups of coffee, bracing weather and a KB T-shirt under the gear may have combined to put him in a bit of a loose mood...

vifferman
29th September 2004, 10:35
A good night's sleep, two cups of coffee, bracing weather and a KB T-shirt under the gear may have combined to put him in a bit of a loose mood...:eek: JR - you loose goose you! :spudwhat: Sounds like you may have been lucky the other commuters weren't similarly 'loose mooded'.:killingme

jrandom
29th September 2004, 10:39
:eek: JR - you loose goose you! :spudwhat: Sounds like you may have been lucky the other commuters weren't similarly 'loose mooded'.:killingme

Traffic was actually quite awful this morning. The Te Atatu -> Takapuna trip would have been close to 90 minutes in the car, methinks, but I did it in 20. I'm sure there were a few cage drivers with twinges of envy as the moron on the beat-up little Suzuki hooned past, followed some time later by a Sensible Rider on a nice shiny blue and red CBR600.

Perhaps we made some converts to the One True Way of Commuting.

Cajun
29th September 2004, 10:43
Traffic was actually quite awful this morning. The Te Atatu -> Takapuna trip would have been close to 90 minutes in the car, methinks, but I did it in 20. I'm sure there were a few cage drivers with twinges of envy as the moron on the beat-up little Suzuki hooned past, followed some time later by a Sensible Rider on a nice shiny blue and red CBR600.

I followed someone yesterday on way home they were lane splitting really bad, there were on a newish 125cc suzuki thing, i was on the wifes vtr so taking it little easy(not my bike)

jrandom
29th September 2004, 10:45
I followed someone yesterday on way home they were lane splitting really bad, there were on a newish 125cc suzuki thing, i was on the wifes vtr so taking it little easy(not my bike)

Does 'really bad' mean 'overly slowly', 'overly quickly' or 'with obvious lack of ability'?

Zed
29th September 2004, 10:49

Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to see you out there JR, even if it was for but a moment. :bye:

jrandom
29th September 2004, 10:55
Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to see you out there JR, even if it was for but a moment. :bye:

That new slip-on of yours sounds real good from behind, btw.

Not that I was listening to it like that for long, of course :moon: ;)

Coldkiwi
29th September 2004, 12:59
A good night's sleep, two cups of coffee, bracing weather and a KB T-shirt under the gear may have combined to put him in a bit of a loose mood...

I'll tell ya what another motivating factor is for that sort of behaviour.... getting half way to work (13 mins to go with usual lane splitting) and remembering you're supposed to be at a meeting with your boss in 9 minutes!! :eek5:

Thankfully the mwy was dry and relatively cop free!! Its amazing how much faster you can go when you need to though...

Cajun
29th September 2004, 14:53
Does 'really bad' mean 'overly slowly', 'overly quickly' or 'with obvious lack of ability'?

overly quickly and obvious lack of ability espically when road was a little damp

Yokai
1st October 2004, 13:45
I drive like I'm in a cage... Sort of ... I'll under cut at traffic lights IF there's a lot of room... But I don't like to lane split ... It worries me and I might scratch someone's precious UAV... :whocares:

Yo

TonyB
8th October 2004, 13:50
I drive like I'm in a cage... Sort of ... I'll under cut at traffic lights IF there's a lot of room... But I don't like to lane split ... It worries me and I might scratch someone's precious UAV... :whocares:

Yo

A mate of mine accidentally took off a guys mirror while lane splitting once. Pays to make sure theres room before you start eh!
I only lane split in stationary traffic. One thing I've seen alot of guys do on the open road is actually wait until theres something coming the other way before passing- what's that all about? Seriously, if you do it tell me why- I won't flame you (not my thing).

FROSTY
17th October 2004, 22:33
theres only one way to lane split--high speed so the buggers dont have time to figure out you're coming.

vtec
17th October 2004, 23:14
I was lane splitting heading north on the motorway towards the city once, and there was plenty of room between the 2nd and 3rd lanes, so I was going up there at a fair speed, but I could see up ahead one car had moved as far over in his lane as he possibly could, this pissed me off a bit as i realised he just didn't want me to lane split past. So when I nailed it through the tiny gap that was left I made sure I did a little swerve in front of his car to give him a bit of a fright, just as I did this he gave a bleep of his siren :eek: , scared the crap out of me, as in my annoyance I hadn't noticed that it was a plain clothes. And just as I passed him I saw another cop right in front, so I made sure I quickly moved over to between the 1st and 2nd lanes before nailing it away as fast as I could, so he couldn't get a look at my no. plate. :mad:

Stinger
17th October 2004, 23:28

There was an article in the Kiwi rider a little while ago about that. It's legal in Manukau City but not on the North Shore, and it's not legal on the main motorway in Auckland.

Stinger
31st October 2004, 14:00

What affect do the ball bearings have ?

NC
31st October 2004, 14:06
What affect do the ball bearings have ?
They smash windows with ease...
Or carry a spark plug....tappy tap tap

Frankie
31st October 2004, 14:19
it depends... i dont normaly lane split at the lights...and never if the lights at up hill cause im a noob and sometimes stall doing hill starts...

usually only when its a two lane road and theres two cars right next to each other and infront both lanes are clear and their doin lik 20 >_<

sAsLEX
31st October 2004, 15:37
They smash windows with ease...
Or carry a spark plug....tappy tap tap

Smash the white ceramic of a spark plug! this powder will smash windscreens and is a bit more subtle than a bolt/spark plug thrown

Stinger
31st October 2004, 15:44
So the actual powder off it is enough ??

avgas
4th February 2005, 12:38
theres only one way to lane split--high speed so the buggers dont have time to figure out you're coming.
have to agree here, if the traffic isnt moving, there a far less excape strategies as everyone sits on everyone elses ass up here in Crapland

Biff
4th February 2005, 12:53
Down the motorway, but very rarely over 40ish. Although I have made some stupid high speed splitting manoeuvres lately, the sort I normally scoff at and call "suicidal'. But those bloody right lane hoggers keeping speed with inside lane cages really pi$$es me off. Stupid I know.

I also split at traffic lights, if the queue is quite long. Otherwise I tend to wait.

About 3 months ago I had a brown trouser moment at some traffic lights. I filtered to the front in between a couple of 4 x fuckwits. As the light turned red the fuckwit on my right accelerated hard, obviously either trying to race me or being pi$$ed that I'd split between him and his 4 x fuckwit bumchum. With wheels screeching he accelerated off really hard and caught my knee in the process, just before I realised what the count (sounds like) was up to. I just opened up the Bird a little and soon got as far away from the burgerforker post haste. It didn't hurt, but it shook me up a bit. I'm not sure whether I wobbled slightly when getting away or the prick swerved and hit me. It all happened all so fast.

He was a builder, his name and number written on the site of his prick mobile. I remembered his name and looked up his address in the Yellow pages. I drove past his house about a month ago and there was his wagon sitting there in his drive. Good things come to those who wait....... quite possibly maybe.

mouldy
4th February 2005, 13:01
you are allowed to overtake a moving vehicle in the same lane as yourself as long as;you indicate,you overtake on the right hand side,have adequate clearance (grey area) and do not cross over into any other lane
you can only overtake a vehicle in the same lane as yourself on the left hand side if it is either stationary (happens a lot on aklnd mways ) or signalling to turn right.THIS IS THE LAW. Not all cops no this, be prepared to argue and tell him to ring his boss.

Ninja51
4th February 2005, 13:58
Hey guys...
Can you fill me in about the law regarding filtering between slow moving and/or stationary cages. Please excuse my ignorance... another bloody pom you see. The relavant page must be missing in my copy of Road Code.
In the UK, its generally accepted if you filter through to the front of the queue and duck in at the light or in a gap. That said, I wouldn't do it infront of plod! Am I being a norty boy by doing same here?

Ninja51
4th February 2005, 13:59
ha! just spotted the above thread. Think I'll go back to sleep!

s.langham
4th February 2005, 15:19

Hook it up m8!!!!
I was in my "cage" watchin sum drags out by the airport, middle of the nite styles wen sum cops cum nd give us shite, as they do,
i wasnt doin anything wrong at the time ( first time in aaages ) so i decided to tell tem my views :finger: while crankin cypress hill "pigs"
i was polite (kinda :shifty: ) and articulate while epressing how i feel but still managed to land me a $40 tikit for parking on the footpath HAHAHA

Oh and i dont like to start this here but ive noticed that a falcon :Punk: will (75% of th time ) pull over a lil and let me pass whlie a dirty Commadore :tugger: will a) be totaly oblivious or b) (60-70% of th time) be a c**t and move into my path just to piss me off

Monsterbishi
4th February 2005, 17:54
I only split up to red lights, of course, considering we don't have any motorways here in Christchurch there's not much else I can do...