PDA

View Full Version : Knock, knock......

Fordy
12th November 2004, 06:37
...... let me in!

Another Brit wanting to move to Godzone, thought I'd say hi. :spudwave: I'm a quantity surveyor and apparently you haven't got enough of those, I'm in the process of having qualifications pre-assessed before applying for residency for me, wife and 2 kids.

I like what I've read about Nelson, but reckon there are more opportunities in Christchurch. We'll be over in January to check for ourselves.

Anyway, here's a pic of my last trip to Wales ("call those mountains" I hear you snigger). Hmmmph *dreams of spending the morning on the beach and afternoon winding through mountain roads*

http://img16.exs.cx/img16/1181/IMG_122.jpg

Antallica
12th November 2004, 06:42
Hello there, welcome to the site.

She should be a scorcher of a summer too, so I'm sure you'll love it here.
Love that GSXR in Silver :headbang:

Mr Skid
12th November 2004, 07:22
Welcome!

Can you bring some decent beer with you? :apint:

vifferman
12th November 2004, 07:26
Hi there, Fordy!

They may not be MOUNTAINS of the alpenheimer variety, but they sure are pretty! Nice photo, and I bet it was a lovely ride! :niceone:

(PS) Do you sing?

Riff Raff
12th November 2004, 07:28
Welcome to the madhouse, sorry site. Good luck for your residency. We'll look forward to hearing how it goes, and welcoming you into the Kiwibiker family when you get over here.

ajturbo
12th November 2004, 07:32
hi there..
because you come from over there, i think you will like the weather in CHCH as it is tooo nice for you in Nelson, ie tooo many sunny days, too many hot days, a couple of cold days(3-4) a year.. CHCH has heaps of wet, cold smog filled days, A hot day a year...so pick CHCH ...by the way you are not one of those winging poms we have been told about hahahaha :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :laugh:

Firefight
12th November 2004, 07:33
hey mate, nice bike, welcome, good luck with the red tape mob.

F/F :spudwave:

Joni
12th November 2004, 08:02
Yeah welcome.
The more the merrier....

Stunning bike.... nice colour!!! :niceone:

wari
12th November 2004, 10:16
YOu'll need thicke skinn anda sense of humour to survive ...

ANd thats just here at KB ... :yeah:

TO hellp ya out ya can have oneof theese ... :moon:

Blakamin
12th November 2004, 10:27
Welcome... good to see you got the official "Wari welcome pack" :msn-wink:

Sniper
12th November 2004, 11:07
Welcome!

Can you bring some decent beer with you? :apint:

Ditto here, nothing like a good english beer. Hmmmm, beer :2thumbsup

inlinefour
12th November 2004, 12:54
:mobile: but English can't make a good beer. Thats why they all come to New Zealand

LB
13th November 2004, 04:33
Hi Fordy - welcome to KB. NZ is a wonderful place, we have some great people and even better roads - particularly in the South Island. Read some of Hitcher's eloquent write-ups of his South Island soujourns.

Keep us posted on when you're going to be out here and where you're going to be.

Fordy
15th November 2004, 05:41
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Is the 'Wari welcome pack' part of the haka I've heard about ;)

Ka mate, ka ora :crazy:

KB's a great looking board and I'll definately be on here when things are a bit more definate. Till then I'll probably lurk more than post, otherwise I'll just be whinging about the weather. Bloody freezing, 8 degrees today. Winter gloves didn't keep me warm, time for some heated ones, yada yada yada...

Ms Piggy
15th November 2004, 06:42
Hi Mate,
Welcome aboard! :2thumbsup Nelson is definitely beautiful but I think job options would be better in ChCh or any of the other major cities really. You've picked the right time to come weather wise. Keep us updated on your where abouts I'm sure a few of the crew would like to meet ya. :)

Dr Bob
15th November 2004, 11:45
Hi Fordy

In a previous career I was a QS cadet (didn't quite finish the quals, but it was in a very previous career), and born in Llandalf, so your picture was particularly touching. I have been here since 1975 and have no intention of going back for anything longer than a short visit. Once you get here you may or may not feel the same. Plenty of brits come over here more than once before they realise that they have made the right decision, try not to be one of those.

merv
15th November 2004, 12:05
Hi, I hope you do enjoy it out here. One thing we have always liked is the lack of crowding and space to ride, but the bad news is the country is filling up more these days - just ask those in Auckland.

So the moral of the story is, well you are a biker, so you can come here, but once you settle in please tell all your other mates back home its a prick of a place and you wish you hadn't come and that way we can keep it to ourselves and hope the roads stay somewhat lightly trafficked.

That's what I tell all immigrants, but it doesn't seem to be working and the country's population has grown from 3 mill to over 4 mill in about the last 25 years.

カワサキキド
15th November 2004, 19:02
hi there..
because you come from over there, i think you will like the weather in CHCH as it is tooo nice for you in Nelson, ie tooo many sunny days, too many hot days, a couple of cold days(3-4) a year.. CHCH has heaps of wet, cold smog filled days, A hot day a year...so pick CHCH ...by the way you are not one of those winging poms we have been told about hahahaha :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :laugh:

Hey chch isnt that bad..*looks out window* oh yeah :disapint:

dangerous
15th November 2004, 19:36
...... let me in!

Another Brit wanting to move to Godzone, I'm a quantity surveyor and apparently you haven't got enough of those, I'm in the process of having qualifications pre-assessed before applying for residency for me, wife and 2 kids.

I like what I've read about Nelson, but reckon there are more opportunities in Christchurch. We'll be over in January to check for ourselves.

Anyway, here's a pic of my last trip to Wales

Welcome man, what you have said above is fairly accurate about Nelson/Chch, I was up there this w/e gone its only a 4hr drive so if you do settle in Chch its not far to go for a play on the bike.
Depending on what kind of surveing you do theres heaps of work here I have mates in the bussness.

I had a new workmate from wales start this year he moved with his wife, and I dont think they will be going back..... that pic you posted looks wicked awesome view, but plenty like that here to.

Fordy
16th November 2004, 06:38
I'm glad the pic went down well. IIRC the lake is Llyn Cwmystradllyn from the Pass of Aberglaslyn, near Beddgelert. My wife had taken the kids to her Uncle's in Fishguard, I followed but via Snowdonia and the coast road. I'd stayed in a guest house in Criccieth and that pic was taken at 6.45 am, I was that eager to get going. 800 miles over 2.5 days, fantastic :banana: You work in km's, don't you?

The weathers not that bad in CHCH is it :confused: its better than here according to http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html#christchurch. I haven't considered Auckland due to population size, and its a bit sweaty isn't it?

dangerous, you have pm.

ching_ching
16th November 2004, 07:45
Hi Fordy,

Welcome. Have you considered North Island? I stay in Turangi which is pretty much smack-dab in the middle right next to the biggest lake in this land (pic attached of Motutaiko Island, Lake Taupo).
Oh, and as you may know, Graham Henry is now coaching the All Blacks. I think he got pissed off at you Welsh giving him a hard time. :msn-wink:
As far as this site is concerned, keep an eye out for the nutjobs that lurk on here... I assure you I am not one of them. :eek: :wacko: :msn-wink:

ching

Fordy
16th November 2004, 10:20
Nice bike ching :)

We have considered the North Island, Napier was on the shortlist but like Nelson opportunities are probably more limited. Auckland's too busy, Wellington too windy. If I'm gonna move round the world I want to be on the beach, even though that is a stunning picture.

you Welsh

Never been called that before, he he, just passing through. I was born in Ulster but grew up in Milton Keynes so I talk wiv propa est'ry Eng'ish, innit.

aff-man
16th November 2004, 10:31
welcome mate . Auckers is a bit of a pig pen but 20 minutes later you can find some really wicked twisties aye :2thumbsup :2thumbsup . But from what i hear it's like that all over :ride: :ride:

magnum
19th November 2004, 22:09
hello and welcome in :ride:

Fordy
21st November 2004, 12:21
Nice bike aff-man and steve :D My last bike a G1 at a trackday at Snetterton. If only I'd move my bum my knee would hit down I'm sure :argh:

Submission made to NZIS, should be okay :sweatdrop

http://img66.exs.cx/img66/3179/bike6.jpg

scumdog
21st November 2004, 13:15
Welcome to your nightmare- the KB site where you can be insulted in ways you never dreamed about, most are self opinionates psycho road warriors with NO respect of the law (except moi of course) so you'll most likely fit right in!! :shit:

DON'T come down south, no smog, no motorways, no traffic lights (in fact no traffic) and horrible long open interesting roads,nothing like what you want!!!! :shutup:

HanaBelle
22nd November 2004, 07:06
Plenty of brits come over here more than once before they realise that they have made the right decision, try not to be one of those.

We let them in more than once??!! :killingme

HanaBelle
22nd November 2004, 07:14
DON'T come down south, no smog, no motorways, no traffic lights (in fact no traffic) and horrible long open interesting roads,nothing like what you want!!!! :shutup:

Dunedin is cold, hilly, and silly (student antics). And there are cops living there. No one rides because your fingers freeze and drop off, one by one. Scumdog has a treadmill in his air conditioned garge on which to exercise the Sportster. He doesnt go out much (it shows).

Christchurch is culturally british, smoggy unless you live at Brighton, Sumner, or Lyttleton (they have outlawed open fires in an attempt to curb it, the Port Hills cause a capture effect so avoid Spreydon etc unless you dont care), it suffers from a hellish wind (the Norwester) which is hot, laden with pollen and dry - always followed by a brisk chilly Southerly...Chch's temperature range is probably wider than most places in NZ, gets hotter than 30 during summer and colder than hell during winter. Its a fine city if you like Arts, and it has a nice road over to the Peninsula for a sunday morning ride. And just a heartbeat from spectacular scenery, the Alps, harbours, dolphins, fishing.

Auckland just sucks. Its horrible. Avoid it.

scumdog
22nd November 2004, 08:29
Aw, c'mon HanaBelle, We banned all the nasty stuff from my town, you know like traffic lights, steel man-hole covers, unlicenced foreign drivers, traffic jams, lanes that need split, shreiking harridans etc, etc :crazy:

Mind you, you're dead right about the treadmill thing, I've even had to fire pebbles at the front of my Sporty with a shanghai to get authentic looking stone chips to give me some cred! :shifty:

Fordy
30th January 2005, 00:10
^^BOING^^

CHCH is a little closer now. Just received confirmation that our Expression of Interest has been accepted and we've been invited to apply for residence. More form filling and cheque writing :doh: Still, its all positive stuff and we had the points without a job offer so self employment is the plan :banana:

Santa got me Great Escapes (https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1877135453/qid=1106999645/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_11_7/202-5500081-5989401) a book thats filled with fantastic looking routes that I'm eager to try when we eventually get there.

Oh, and passed the Institute of Advanced Motoring motorcycle test too. Which was nice. Don't suppose it'll make any difference to insurance in NZ :disapint:

Waylander
30th January 2005, 00:20
^^BOING^^

CHCH is a little closer now. Just received confirmation that our Expression of Interest has been accepted and we've been invited to apply for residence. More form filling and cheque writing :doh: Still, its all positive stuff and we had the points without a job offer so self employment is the plan :banana:

Santa got me Great Escapes (https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1877135453/qid=1106999645/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_11_7/202-5500081-5989401) a book thats filled with fantastic looking routes that I'm eager to try when we eventually get there.

Oh, and passed the Institute of Advanced Motoring motorcycle test too. Which was nice. Don't suppose it'll make any difference to insurance in NZ :disapint:
Congrats on nearly getting your residency mate. your closer than I am at the moment and i already own a house down here and been here since june. If your bringing the bike with you make sure your in on the whole process to make sure nothing goes wrong. Been trying to get mine road legal for months now and im getting stoped becouse the guys at the docks didnt give LTNZ the right VIN#. Doesnt mean much though cause LTNZ has a number different than the docks and it still isnt right. :argh:

Biff
31st January 2005, 16:01
A heartfelt welcome to you mate, if for no other reason than for posting such a beautiful photo of my homeland. Now I'm off for a quiet sulk cos I'm missing home.

Enjoy :spudwave:

merv
31st January 2005, 17:42
So are you going to arrive here just in time for ..............

....... winter??

MSTRS
31st January 2005, 18:09
We have considered the North Island, Napier was on the shortlist
No room in Napier, but do call in when passing :blink:

Fordy
1st February 2005, 03:02
So are you going to arrive here just in time for ..............

....... winter??

Nope, just getting the EOI accepted took over 2 months, the actual application for residence will take much longer and we'll need police certs, medical certs, house to sell etc. It's going to be September at the earliest.

So, between now and then I can enjoy the British summer and I've got a trackday lined up at Snetterton, a weekend trip to the Assen GP in Holland and hopefully a weeks trip to the Spanish Pyrenees or France while I still can.

And arrive there just in time for...............

next summer :sunny: So I get two :bleh:

Might seem like a long way off but I'm sure it'll fly.

LB
1st February 2005, 03:43
Hi Fordy - good luck with all the paperwork, I'm sure you'll love this place and the people.

You'll have Ruapuna racetrack on your back door in Chch.

Fordy
29th August 2005, 22:08
**UDATE**

Was that really last November :eek:

We suffered the beurocrats and finally got PR. House is sold and should exchange contracts soon *touches wood* so should be landing in Chch by the end of September after a week in Cambodia :woohoo:

It was the wrong time to sell my bike in the UK, there's a glut of second hand bikes and none of the dealers were interested in even making an offer as their stores were full. So it's going on the container and we should hopefully be reunited in mid November. I've already spoken with VINZ about registration so shouldn't be too painfull. Can't wait to ride the twin passes run :D

Haven't got a job or anywhere to live, minor details :lol:

Look forward to meeting you's.

scumdog
29th August 2005, 22:17
Good on ya, welcome to Kiwi land - just don't become another Pommy whinger!! (The site alone has enough of THEM!!!)

You'll love it here matey, good move. :Punk:

Lou Girardin
30th August 2005, 09:44
Yeah, you need to shut up for 5 years then you can be a Kiwi winger.

Fordy
30th August 2005, 10:00
Yeah, you need to shut up for 5 years then you can be a Kiwi winger.

Only 3, ITA submitted before the rule change so get citizenship in 3 not 5 :spudflip:

Anyway, WTF is there to winge about :spudwhat: Milk and honey, eh.

MSTRS
30th August 2005, 10:30
Anyway, WTF is there to winge about :spudwhat: Milk and honey, eh.
You'll learn..... :msn-wink:

SpeedyGirl
30th August 2005, 11:22
its all mad in here....enjoy the ride and welcome :)

Beemer
30th August 2005, 12:22
Shame you got told some lies about Wellington - they must have been in print rather than in person or you would have noticed the different pronunciation! Wellington is wind-y (as in winding roads), not win-dy (as in lots of wind)! You'll be brassed off when you realise this... :rofl:

Bet you can't wait to get here, if you love Wales you will love the South Island - the accent isn't much different... :dodge: and the scenery is just stunning. Christchurch is a lovely city, you'll probably feel quite at home as it is fairly English.

As for the roads, you will think you have died and gone to heaven! You must come to the North Island for a visit and say hi to us all once you're settled.

Rashika
30th August 2005, 13:14
**UDATE**

Was that really last November :eek:
We suffered the beurocrats and finally got PR. House is sold and should exchange contracts soon *touches wood* so should be landing in Chch by the end of September after a week in Cambodia :woohoo:
Haven't got a job or anywhere to live, minor details :lol:

Look forward to meeting you's.

Cool! another converted ex-pommy to be
Yep Chch is definately the place to be, you'll do fine here :Punk:

thehollowmen
30th August 2005, 21:28
Welcome to the madhouse.
I'll be moving to chch soon too.

Fordy
31st August 2005, 03:33
You must come to the North Island for a visit and say hi to us all once you're settled.

Definately :Punk:

The KB Chch chapter...excuse my stutter...seems to grow and grow :ride:

dangerous
31st August 2005, 05:57
Definately :Punk:

The KB Chch chapter...excuse my stutter...seems to grow and grow :ride:
Sure is.... when I joined up there were only 2 regular posters here, so KB rides might come more of a common thing.... role on summer :ride:

Bren_chch
31st August 2005, 11:54
mmmmm summer, think we had a taste of that yesterday! :Punk:

CPB
1st September 2005, 08:23
mmmmm summer, think we had a taste of that yesterday! :Punk:

mmmm, blue dome day in Hamilvegas too...gotta love that, starting out the same again today, first day of September, roll on summer...

DevoDave
1st September 2005, 12:24
Hey good to hear that you have seen the light. Empty roads and plenty of space, pity you're stuck on the wrong end of the country though. Liked the pic of Wales, had some good ties there.

Artifice
2nd September 2005, 01:00
Hello, have a nice day. dont forget to turn out the lights when you leave Britain.

Skunk Control
4th September 2005, 18:12
Welcome to our little piece of hell :rofl:

Fordy
17th October 2005, 10:33
LO again, just a quick update. I'm here on the Mainland, arrived two weeks ago. Living in a one room holiday shack with wife and two kids. Jeez its cold in the mornings :cold: ...my dogs staying in warmer kennels! But will move into a house in Kaiapoi on Friday, when I can get proper interwebby plug and not rely on cafe's and libraries.

Won't get the bike till mid November, but have had a few drive outs and can't wait to ride some of these fantastic roads. I'd better resist some of the lovely local cakies and pies till then or I won't fit in my leathers.

Loving NZ :sunny:

marty
17th October 2005, 10:42
Well welcome Fordy! Kaiapoi is nice - there's a few KBers nearby in Rangiora, you're not too far from the ski fields, there's good surf on the Waimak. river bar, GREAT kayaking/jetboating etc down the waimak & ashley rivers although the windy (as in corners) roads are a little way away - great busa/blackbird roads where you are though, look out for the plenty of bored 5-O's down there!!
the ride from lyttelton to diamond harbour and over to akoroa is one of the prettiest rides in the world i reckon

Colapop
17th October 2005, 11:01
Welcome to Godzone. I assume you've got work by now? If so, who with? (if you don't mind me asking)
Being involed in the industry (engineering - consulting) it's always good to have "Internationals" come down here for a change. We've got a few of your mob infiltrating my workplace. (Aparrently I'm not allowed to mention the Lions tour to them?)
Check out www.beca.com if you're still looking or you'd like a change.

oldrider
17th October 2005, 11:50
LO again, just a quick update. I'm here on the Mainland, arrived two weeks ago. Living in a one room holiday shack with wife and two kids. Jeez its cold in the mornings :cold: ...my dogs staying in warmer kennels! But will move into a house in Kaiapoi on Friday, when I can get proper interwebby plug and not rely on cafe's and libraries.

Won't get the bike till mid November, but have had a few drive outs and can't wait to ride some of these fantastic roads. I'd better resist some of the lovely local cakies and pies till then or I won't fit in my leathers.

Loving NZ :sunny:
Hello Fordy, wellcome to NZ. Your pic of Wales could be someplace in NZ.

If you want a break and some entertainment, go and see the "Worlds fastest Indian" at a movie theater. It's classic Kiwiana and really entertaining.

May meet you when you venture South sometime in the future. Great roads down here. Cheers John. :spudwave:

SDU
17th October 2005, 15:20
Welcome to CHCH. Hope you settle in to your new place ok. Hope you like it here and the transition not too painful. Hopefully we'll have summer this year, just get use to 4 seasons in a day. Plenty of riders around your way.
Does your wife ride? Kids?
there is a free mx track for everyone to play on, wee ones too 5 mins from Kaiapoi at the Waimakariri river.
Have fun.

dangerous
17th October 2005, 17:06
I'm here on the Mainland, arrived two weeks ago.
Won't get the bike till mid November, but have had a few drive outs and can't wait to ride some of these fantastic roads.
welcome man, and good ta meet ya the other day...... if the bikes ready for the rd by 19th Nov then join a few of us and come on down to the Magpie Madness Rally... ya cant beat it. :drinkup:

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 11:08
welcome to the site, enjoy, please leave it as you found it and watch out for the trolls, I'm originally Irish from over the ditch :niceone:

Edbear
17th November 2005, 13:05
Yep, welcome to Unzud! Yo correct about the job, a mate o mine said that 2 trades will never be out of work here, Plumbing and Quantity Surveying. You'll have some interestin times with the Buro, Bero, Booro, (Red Tape Guys!) as a another Pom has been telling me! He's had some doozy's, but don't let that put you off. With patiences and persistence and a bit o thought you can win in the end! My daughter's boyfriend has come from Germany and he's had some fun, too! He's a Sound Tech by trade but fortunately he has a Gas-Fitting Cert and was able to get in as a Plumber! But it is all worth it 'cause this country is a bikers' paradise!!!! You get three countries in one! North Is., Sth Is., and Stewart Is. All different and all uniquely beautiful! :blip: