PDA

View Full Version : Do you tell 'em?

FROSTY
15th January 2008, 16:38
So you're out riding with a bunch of mates. All having fun
One guy/gal is riding beyond their ability or maybee out of control that day.
Do YOU say something to them?
For the sake of this argument lets talk real world not what we should do

White trash
15th January 2008, 16:42
Nope. Ya bitch about them publicly on KB. Then they get a bee in their bonnet and think theworlds out to get them. Then they become a complete cock.

Eh Mark.

MSTRS
15th January 2008, 16:43
If he was a 'tad' bigger than me, with a rep to boot...then no, I probably wouldn't say anything. I just stay clear and warn others about him.
All things being equal tho, then yes, I would 'have a word'. Perhaps offer mentoring assistance.

mitchilin
15th January 2008, 16:44
If they are your mates you have to tell them.If you were with your mates in a car and the driver was driving beyond his capability you would say something.I've kicked good mates out of the drivers seat because their driving was shit and had them thank me for it later.

Usarka
Mates? Yep. I prefer mine alive and if they get a snot with me for a day who cares.

Though it depends on who it is as to how you tell them...... some need a bitch slap upside the head to listen, while others respond better when you mask it in some semi-joking banter (or make it easy for you to back out if they get aggro)....

triply so if they're not experienced riders.

FROSTY
:devil2:then they promise publicly to chjange their ways-

FROSTY
15th January 2008, 16:47
For me if Im riding like a tard I'd apreciate it if a mate told me so.
Yea yea trashy I always ride like a tard --I know I know

BAD DAD
15th January 2008, 16:50
Depends on the group. Sometimes it just best to descretely drop the pace a little and see how that goes. You don't want to make anyone blush too much eh. (I'm probably going to be the one that would be waaaayyy beyond their abilities at the front of the pack anyway)
Good question.

ManDownUnder
15th January 2008, 16:50
Yes - tell 'em - no question.

I'd rather lose their company for a bit than for keeps.

DMNTD
15th January 2008, 16:52
Yes...always have and will continue to do so.
BTW...I expect for others to do so if I'm riding poorly.
As long as it's put in a constructive manner (unless they deserve a slap),then I see it as being proactive and necessary.
The knack is to not come across as righteous though.

sAsLEX
15th January 2008, 17:12
As long as it's put in a constructive manner (unless they deserve a slap),then I see it as being proactive and necessary.

Yeah it would be good to know, sometimes if you are tired etc you might not notice your poor driving, I know once I was feeling a bit off with the pace so dropped out of te group I was in to come around a few corners later to see three bikes in a ditch..... thankfully only bikes were broken!

James Deuce
15th January 2008, 17:27
Nope. It's not worth the aggro.

The only thing it does is make you feel like you've fulfilled you public duty.

People don't listen to free advice. Free stuff obviously isn't worth anything.

vixter
15th January 2008, 17:28

your'e just a looney!!!!!!!!!!!

Disco Dan
15th January 2008, 17:32
Yes. I would say something.

Like others have said, but I would EXPECT my friends to tell me too.

Friends and 'mates' are different things.

Mates - I would not expect them to tell me, rather gossip about it and joke. Friends would tell me.

janno
15th January 2008, 17:34
Well this is an interesting thread.

I ride at about 110-120, but also am quite happy to sit on the speed limit if I can't be arsed or am to tired to concentrate on overtaking.

I have been out on group rides where I've sensed a fair bit of condescention about my speed.

I am not a "good" rider, but I can certainly bloody well recognise skilled riding when I see it, and the riders looking down on me are in my opinion, usually out of their capability zone. To me a good rider is recognising your limits and riding within them, and the ability to let others fuck off ahead of you being cockheads, and not feel obliged to race with them. And more than once I've been left behind on the straights and have got really frustrated stuck going far too slow behind the same people around corners.

I ride out alot with various blokes around here, just one on one, and it makes me really sad that quite often they'll say "gee it's nice and relaxing riding with you. I don't have to race, and I get to enjoy the road much more."

This whole keeping up with the lads thing, or treating the roads like your own private race track is just retarded. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be something one necessarily grows out of. Unless of course, the predictable happens and you have the decision made for you.

Alot of people recognise poor riding in themselves and others, but the group mentality gets hold and off they go like the clappers . . .

I wouldn't say anything, but would drop out of the ride if I felt really uncomfortable, and not ride with them again.

yungatart
15th January 2008, 17:39
Tell them!
But then tell them what they could do differently to improve their riding..don't just say "You ride like a cock" and leave it at that. It ain't helpful.

BarBender
15th January 2008, 17:39
I would tell them...immediately after the said incident.
DMNTDs right about there being a knack to it.
Egos bruise easily. Consequences make a nice ice pack.

hXc
15th January 2008, 17:53
Yep I'd tell them. I'd much rather risk a bit of an attitude than a friend going down because of their stupidity, or someone else going down in the group because of it.

Sparky Bills
15th January 2008, 19:05
Yip, Tell em to full their head in!
My group of mates never make anyone feel like they need to ride above their ability. Thats just not cool!
We make sure we tell people who join our group that they dont need to push too hard as we will wait and often just enjoy the ride with new peps anyway.
:rockon:

MotoGirl
15th January 2008, 19:22
I'll tell whoever it is to put his or her head in.

I have been out on group rides where I've sensed a fair bit of condescention about my speed.

This whole keeping up with the lads thing...

I wouldn't say anything, but would drop out of the ride if I felt really uncomfortable, and not ride with them again.

I know exactly what you're saying. I just don't ride with fuckwits like that anymore - they're often the ones who preach "ride your own ride, don't exceed your limits", and then call you slow when you show up a minute after they do :rofl:

jrandom
15th January 2008, 19:24
I've never had the issue Frosty's talking about here, most probably because I generally ride so much slower than anyone who's being silly that I don't notice them being silly.

And I've never had anyone be mean to me about riding slowly, either, so perhaps I'm just living in blissful oblivion...

Meanie
15th January 2008, 19:49
Hell yes id tell them especialy if they are riding in close proximity to me and mrs

Shadows
15th January 2008, 19:50
If somebody thought I was acting like a cunt then I'd want him to tell me about it and his reasons why.
I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it, I would simply draw my own conclusions as to whether he is just being a softcock or has a valid point.

cowboyz
15th January 2008, 20:11
I'll tell whoever it is to put his or her head in.

I know exactly what you're saying. I just don't ride with fuckwits like that anymore - they're often the ones who preach "ride your own ride, don't exceed your limits", and then call you slow when you show up a minute after they do :rofl:
funny you say that. It also seems that "ride your own ride" means "Dont ride faster than me" I dont like the speech because it *shouldn't* be nessacery (sp?) but finding lately that sometimes it is. (manawatu riders have their own personal spokeswoman).
Personally I have no issue at all with outright speed. But things I do not tolerate (and that means I throw my toys out the cot and if people dont like it then tough shit) is
undercutting.
passing on blinds.
dropping in on corners.

I am a bit more PC but will mention things like passing too close to oncoming traffic and dropping in on cars in corners.

smoky
15th January 2008, 20:24
I have talked discretely to two people I've been out with, suggesting they get some mentoring from better riders I know. I get a little picky who I ride with now days
:Police:
But I'm surprised no one has told me off on the odd occasion I've been a bit too cocky

Hey frosty's back - when did that happen?

Trudes
15th January 2008, 20:25
Depends how well I know them and how I think they'll react, I may just mention something at a meeting point about people watching how they ride, cross yellow lines, pass within an inch of vehicles etc, but not necessarily direct it at one person in particular, after all, none of us is perfect, but sometimes these things need to be bought to some people's attention. And then make a mental note to never ride with them again (if it's a good mate though, I'd probably just tell them and not ride so close to them any more).
I would hope other people would tell me if they thought I was riding like a twat, whether I take the info on or not may depend on how they approach me and how I view their riding style. rant over and out.

Hitcher
15th January 2008, 20:32
All of my riding mates, without exception, are better riders than I am. The only time I ride with nongs is on the rare occasion I participate in some sort of group ride. Then, how other people ride is none of my business, unless they endanger me or mine. In which case I will make sure I avoid them fervently. Such riders are generally beyond hope and would not appreciate the receipt of advice from anybody. Leave them alone. If they want guidance, they'll ask for it.

boomer
15th January 2008, 20:37
if they're not part of the usual group and i don't know 'em from adam then nah.. fook 'em. Well actually, i might say something however it may not be friendly advice.

i've been an ass with mates/acquaintances and i've been told; i expect to be told; just like i expect to be able to tell them.

It's the same with anything in life; if you care then you should say something. So i think the question should be.. "Do you care?"

Movistar
15th January 2008, 20:39
I agree with most everyone's answers here.
I have told a couple of riding buddies over the years, discretely and not in a way that be-littles them 'cause I far from know everything and am not an expert in any way shape or form, about their riding and remember being told once from a friend of mine about my riding.

Didn't take it to heart and I'm sure the people I talked to didn't either, in fact I still ride with them, sometimes you don't realise what your doing isn't how it should be unless it's pointed out to you.
Other times ridiers are just completely dangerous...if that's the case I don't ride with them, would I tell them, if it's a mate yeah, if it's someone who I haven't ridin with before and definately won't ride with again then probably no, just have a quiet word with everyone else and let them race ahead.

After all the only race you have on the street is with yourself...and there's no prize for coming first.

boomer
15th January 2008, 20:42
After all the only race you have on the street is with yourself...and there's no prize for coming first.

Duh.... are you serious? I always get a prize for coming first!

sweetp
15th January 2008, 20:47
hey, good thread! I agree I would tell people, never had to but that it cause I am the newest rider in my little group and I am the one that people tell how to improve! But my thoughts are that these people are a. more experienced than me and b. able to "see" me whereas I am in the moment. I think if you cant take a bit of well meaning constructive critisism then you are a wally.

chanceyy
15th January 2008, 20:47
funny you say that. It also seems that "ride your own ride" means "Dont ride faster than me" I dont like the speech because it *shouldn't* be nessacery (sp?) but finding lately that sometimes it is.

as ppl who ride in a group regularly & the experience grows I kinda think this needs to be said at times ..

(manawatu riders have their own personal spokeswoman).
:shutup: .. :innocent: only for my own rides .. unless someone else asks me too

Personally I have no issue at all with outright speed. But things I do not tolerate (and that means I throw my toys out the cot and if people dont like it then tough shit) is
undercutting.
passing on blinds.
dropping in on corners.

I am a bit more PC but will mention things like passing too close to oncoming traffic and dropping in on cars in corners.

if it needs saying it needs saying .. being a newbie rider I would much rather be told than build bad habits (well more than I have at the mo)

see above in blue

nodrog
15th January 2008, 21:01
People don't listen to free advice. Free stuff obviously isn't worth anything.

what he said. have tried to offer people constructive advice before, it just falls on deaf ears. they think that because you pass them and arrive at your destination a minute or 2 earlier that you must have been riding on the edge like a mad fucker, therefore your advice is null and void.

now i tend to only offer comments to people i know wont get all pissy and sook about it.

James Deuce
15th January 2008, 21:02
I'll expand on my answer.

One rider whom I took gently aside to request a larger following distance and to calm down a little was dead a week later.

On a corner on which I had specifically demonstrated lines that keep you quick but on your side of the road.

He crossed the centre line and hit an oncoming vehicle. On that very corner.

Be careful to whom and how you say it. I've given up since because the people who most need to hear "it" consistently prove they aren't going to listen, until they are dead, significantly crippled, or no longer riding due to one scare too many.

You must be joking if you think that the person you "talk to" is going to do anything other than try to "prove" you wrong.

Some of the people in this thread who say they would have a chat, ride at velocities that I consider to be brazenly waving a "pick me" sign at the be-scythed and hooded figure we have invented in our collective consciousness to embody Death.

Two Up FFS. You're no example.

Like Hitcher, my riding friends are either significantly better riders or have a significantly better attitude to riding a bike on our roads than I do. It keeps me alive.

skelstar
15th January 2008, 21:36
Like Hitcher, my riding friends are either significantly better riders or have a significantly better attitude to riding a bike on our roads than I do. It keeps me alive.
Amen to that. If you haven't a hope of being as quick then you have nothing to prove and no-one to impress.

DMNTD
15th January 2008, 21:58
Blah blah blah

kerfufflez
15th January 2008, 22:08
[COLOR="Lime"] But things I do not tolerate (and that means I throw my toys out the cot and if people dont like it then tough shit) is
undercutting.
passing on blinds.
dropping in on corners.

/COLOR]

Ahem, *Ignoramus alert*
What is undercutting? (Passing on the left of another bike?).
And I've no idea what dropping in on corners is.
Please relieve me of my ignorance, thanks.

xwhatsit
15th January 2008, 22:13
This thread looks like it could turn out to be quite exciting :D

As a beginner, I really appreciate any advice, especially if I'm doing silly things. Hopefully as I gradually turn into an `experienced rider' as the years go by my attitude towards receiving advice doesn't harden. I don't like being told what to do, but with things like motorcycles it's wise to forget one's pride. Don't be a self-righteous twat about it and you're more likely to get a positive response. With some people, at least.

dropping in on corners.
What's that?

DMNTD
15th January 2008, 22:15
As a beginner, I really appreciate any advice, especially if I'm doing silly things. Hopefully as I gradually turn into an `experienced rider' as the years go by my attitude towards receiving advice doesn't harden. I don't like being told what to do, but with things like motorcycles it's wise to forget one's pride.
Don't be a self-righteous twat about it and you're more likely to get a positive response. With some people, at least.

You appear to be a wise young man :niceone:

James Deuce
15th January 2008, 22:16
He's definitely not normal.

mstriumph
15th January 2008, 22:30
i'm thinking about it from the other end of the equation

me - if i was acting like a twerp, and the person that told me WAS SOMONE WHO's RIDING I RESPECTEd, and if they took me aside before they told me to pull my horns in ----------- well yes, i'd take that on board and would appreciate it

but if it was just someone i had ridden with - speaking up about his opinion of my riding in public [without being man enough to say it to my face] - to make himself look 'big' by trying to make me look small [yes - it has happened - and on here] i'd put it down to where it came from, grin and ignore it

after all, how can you respect someone's opinion if you can't respect THEM? ;)

so i answered 'it depends on the circumstances' because it really ISN"T a yes/no answer?

and no - of COURSE it wasn't SPman - HIS riding and opinion i respect :first:

MaxB
15th January 2008, 22:42
Wow...now we're being referred to as fuckwits eh? Well excuse me/us for showing an interest in your riding...believe it or not the advice given may even save you arse one day,but hell feel free to continue on your quest for ignorance! :bye:

I have no idea as to why you think any of us have had a serious go at you(re the speeds that you ride at)...farking incredible but it seems that you have some issues(if not volumes) that you need to sort out.
Apologies for trying to help...good luck on your journey of ignorance.

'journey of ignorance' great phrase, made me laugh.

Shadows
16th January 2008, 00:37
Ahem, *Ignoramus alert*

What's that?

I take it as somebody overtaking you under braking just before a corner and dropping into it front of you.

kiwibryn
16th January 2008, 01:08
Having only been back in the wind for about 9 months, I am only just getting my confidence back for riding with others. It doesn't help when I get passed on corners by pricks who appear out of nowhere (Heading into the Manawatu Gorge on sunday 13th from the Woodville end... two bikes doing about 120 or more... and passing on double yellows) and I would be inclined to verbal anyone who was pushing the limits and endangering other road users... regardless of how big he or she was.

Gremlin
16th January 2008, 01:45
Depends who it is, and whether or not you know how they ride really.

I've seen fast boys getting told off by some stranger, when they weren't going fast at all, so it can be a matter of perception. My yardstick is risk to others I guess. If you do dumb shit around other people, you are risking their lives. If you want to do dumb shit completely by yourself, then hey, its your life.

At the same time tho, if I see them constantly screwing up, then yes, I would mention it to them. Some have ruefully admitted to being off their game, and I have suggested relaxing a little. Some people don't mind being told, and they realise that its true, and have changed.

That said, few buggers are bigger than me... so if they're nasty back, I'm not too fussed (even that big pussy riding the red zx14 :laugh:)

cowboyz
16th January 2008, 06:01
funny you say that. It also seems that "ride your own ride" means "Dont ride faster than me" I dont like the speech because it *shouldn't* be nessacery (sp?) but finding lately that sometimes it is. (manawatu riders have their own personal spokeswoman).
undercutting.
passing on blinds.
dropping in on corners.

Ahem, *Ignoramus alert*
What is undercutting? (Passing on the left of another bike?).

I take it as somebody overtaking you under braking just before a corner and dropping into it front of you.

just to quote myself and explain terms we may just use down here.

Undercutting is passing on the left on the corner. Actually passing on the left is unacceptable anywhere but especially dangerous on corners.
Dropping in on a corner is what Shadows suggests. Out braking someone on a corner and laying the bike over right in front of them. It is plain stupid cause not only does it mean 1 rider is going into the corner really hot but it also screws up the other riders view of the corner and their line. It is basically the reserve of undercutting someone but on a left hand corner but staying in one lane. Alot of the time it is perfectly safe to go round the outside of someone on a left hand corner using the other lane. "Dropping in on someone" is the use of one lane only.
And passing on blinds - is just that. Overtaking on a blind corner where if something was coming the other way chances are both riders will be taken out.

Hope that explains

Owl
16th January 2008, 06:19
Hope that explains

Cheers for clearing that up cowboyz!