PDA

View Full Version : Vision issues - how do you cope?

Number One
16th January 2008, 06:49
Think I'm putting this in the right place....vision seems pretty important to survival skills on the road.

Anyway - I have Intra-Occular lense implants (bionic eye lenses that is) these cause me to have trouble riding or driving at night as headlights cause me to be able to see the lenses in my eyes...look similar to the old ringed saucepan bottoms and if not that the glare just lights my eyes up...similar to the 'TWO moons' ad with the possums in it. (I also wear glasses over the top - genetics can be such a biarch!)

Further to night riding (which I avoid btw) I also have trouble on sunny days when I first enter shadowed areas there is a short amount of time where I'm just a bit blind and can't make the road out properly....hold line hold line - hope it's going the same way as the road...can be bloody scarey actually!

ANYWAY - Have a red visor and this is great but doesn't solve anything per se....anyone else got bionic eyes? ANyone else blinded by contrast, headlights at night...might be scratching here but if anyone has any tips to help me I'd like to hear them...

AND don't say stop riding or just don't ride at night or into shadow. I'm actually serious about this

LilSel
16th January 2008, 06:56
Fireball only has use of one eye... thats why she wont drive a car...
also has night riding woes... a more expensive headlight bulb that illuminates the road and surroundings could be a start maybe?? :)

WRT
16th January 2008, 09:14
Close one eye shortly before entering the shadows so at least one can adjust? Half visions gotta be better than no vision.

irishlad
16th January 2008, 09:31
To help with daytime driving you could try good quality sunglasses. Good bets are

Adidas Sports glasses with LST lenses. LST means Light Stabalising Technology. I use LST Trail lenses in an EvilEye Frame. Means I can ride in most daytime conditions, from light to shade including through tunnels, and be ok. Disadvantages are that I see reflection of frame in side visor. Also sometimes I dont find lenses dark enough. EvilEye frame is also good as an insert can be fitted to hold your prescription. Insert is deep enough to take both Progressive or Bifocal lenses. I dont find it wide enough sometimes when I'm looking over shoulder. So if I'm going on a long sunday ride I pop out the prescription and wear contact lenses. Other Adidas lenses worth trying are NASA (as used by NASA in space), or LST Polarising ( if you can get it).

Serengeti PolarMax lenses. These are Polarised Photochromic lenses. The polarising will cut out glare makeing it easier to view road and through windowscreens. Photochromic means they go darker in brighter conditions. Go to a lot of shops to look for a frame you like. Very few shops will have more than 4-6 Serengeti sunglasses on show as there are so expensive. Expect to pay somewhere between $350 - $450, for a set with PolarMax through a shop. Less if bought over internet from USA. Very funnily it seems that people end up paying more when they buy them Duty Free! Serengeti do prescription also. I avoid using there service due to problems with delivery time. It may be better now, but I feel they have dropped the ball too often.

Oakley Polarised lenses. Good frames and a lot of lens options. Polarised, Iridium coatings and now new Oakley Transitions lenses. Oakley can also do some prescription options. Very good turnaround right now. Expect 2-3wks for delivery, manufactured in USA or Ozzy.

In terms of Prescription lenses DriveWear are pretty nice. DriveWear are Polarised Photochromic lenses. They only come in one color, a pissy brown , that I dont think looks that great, personal taste. Saying that they do what the PolarMax lenses do. Are available as both Single Vision Distance lenses or as a Progressive Options.

Night Vision

Speak to your Opthalmologist or Optometrist. No easy answers on this baby. So many factors that have to be taken into account.

What type of IOL was installed, Single focus of Multifocal?
What position is it in?
Are the sutures too tight? too loose?

If its causing you to be a danger on the road something has to be done. No point you having to park up at dusk for the rest of your life. If you want any more advice flick us a pm and I can phone you when back at work. If I dont know the answer I can at least put you in contact with someone else.

Good Luck

jrandom
16th January 2008, 09:32
Run for the shadows
Run for the shadows
Run for the shadows, in these golden years...

:laugh:

autos
16th January 2008, 09:49
umm these might be what irishlad was talking about but i use yellow tint sunglasses, they take the glare away from headlights but also enhance what little light there is at night, i find them fantastic, not very expensive either, bit like some sports guys wear, popular with cricket players etc etc

Colapop
16th January 2008, 09:57
Do what I do - ride with your eyes closed

Hitcher
16th January 2008, 10:28
I found a warning label inside my helmet. It read "Turn helmet through 180 degrees and try again." Those sage words of advice greatly assisted my vision problems.

Number One
16th January 2008, 10:43
In terms of Prescription lenses DriveWear are pretty nice. DriveWear are Polarised Photochromic lenses. They only come in one color, a pissy brown , that I dont think looks that great, personal taste. Saying that they do what the PolarMax lenses do. Are available as both Single Vision Distance lenses or as a Progressive Options.

Think this'd be the go...can't wear contacts. Dry eyes apparently.

Night Vision

Speak to your Opthalmologist or Optometrist. No easy answers on this baby. So many factors that have to be taken into account.

What type of IOL was installed, Single focus of Multifocal?
What position is it in?
Are the sutures too tight? too loose?

Multifocal
Position apparently good but one is slightly skewed.
Sutures too tight? Not sure - op completed over 14 years ago....

If its causing you to be a danger on the road something has to be done. No point you having to park up at dusk for the rest of your life. If you want any more advice flick us a pm and I can phone you when back at work. If I dont know the answer I can at least put you in contact with someone else.

Good Luck
I Possibly overdramatised the 'danger' a bit...but all the same get your point and would feel better with a bit better long distance vision. Don't think getting mutifocals removed and single vision distance lenses put in is an option is it? They don't seem keen to want to do that... To be honest I am also rather distracted on the eye front by my boys eyes...had his cataracts removed at 2. Trying to help him develop vision so in the scheme I don't feel too hard done by.

It's rather bothersome to have crap vision. Hubby has fab vision 20/20...in fact, it's a little bit his fault that I even realise how blind I am! Ha...that's it! Eureka! I just need to get with a blind man and then I'll feel all better.

onearmedbandit
16th January 2008, 10:58
Due to my accident I suffered damage to my nervous system, one result of that is my left pupil is contracted slightly and my eyelid is a little lazy. In certain corners that eye will tend to close up, I can overcome it if I concentrate, but for a moment I'm riding not only as the onearmedbandit, but also the oneeyedbandit.

FROSTY
16th January 2008, 12:24
About 16 years ago I had the radial kerototomy--the knife cutting the lens.
For a while I had major light sensitivity and starring issues around the scars.
I was using a clearview (orange) visor that helped me with shadow definition.
I also used to wear night driving glasses--they were all the rage years ago. It cut the edge off the glare
A thought for you would be to have a pair of light tint glasses for night riding.

Disco Dan
16th January 2008, 12:34
Had similar operation, I just close my left eye (the problematic one) then open it again to let it adjust. Was a pain at first but now I dont even have to think about it.

I can still see the right hand side of my nose the entire time.. unless I close my right eye, then I can only just see the left of my nose.

You get used to it.

oh and try using blue iridium visor... not dark enough so that you enter a shadow and the world goes black, but still enough tint that you dont get sore eyes from the bright sunlight.

fireball
16th January 2008, 13:05
the joys of eye sight sucks eh? as mentioned i only have one eye it can makes things hard night driving glare etc etc
i see you mentioned red visor have you tried purple? it seems to "move" the ultra violet light makes it easier to focus and so on.....

if you would like i have some sun glasses you can try that are purple see if that helps on a ride.... worth a shot eh?

Number One
16th January 2008, 13:12
the joys of eye sight sucks eh? as mentioned i only have one eye it can makes things hard night driving glare etc etc
i see you mentioned red visor have you tried purple? it seems to "move" the ultra violet light makes it easier to focus and so on.....

if you would like i have some sun glasses you can try that are purple see if that helps on a ride.... worth a shot eh?

You just amaze me! I'd love to give purple a go...sounds really GROOOVY. You in Welly?

Number One
16th January 2008, 13:14
Had similar operation, I just close my left eye (the problematic one) then open it again to let it adjust. Was a pain at first but now I dont even have to think about it.

I can still see the right hand side of my nose the entire time.. unless I close my right eye, then I can only just see the left of my nose.

You get used to it.

oh and try using blue iridium visor... not dark enough so that you enter a shadow and the world goes black, but still enough tint that you dont get sore eyes from the bright sunlight.

Thanks Disco Dan

Will give that a go....though I can't decide which is the 'problematic' one - might just need transplants :mellow:

fireball
16th January 2008, 13:14
You just amaze me! I'd love to give purple a go...sounds really GROOOVY. You in Welly?

sadly no, up in auckland... should have been more attentive to your location :lol:
maybe cheap $2 shop pair to trial see how you like the purple thing going on....

Number One
16th January 2008, 13:17
sadly no, up in auckland... should have been more attentive to your location :lol:

Bloody tease! Thanks anyway :2thumbsup

irishlad
16th January 2008, 14:53
If implants working ok no point messing with them. You would find other limitations if switched to single vision. All surgery is risky, only done if vital.

Number One
16th January 2008, 15:56
If implants working ok no point messing with them. You would find other limitations if switched to single vision. All surgery is risky, only done if vital.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Figured that surgery wasn't really an option...they kinda hinted that they wouldn't be able to guarantee a good result and that it can run a high risk of failure (loss of vision, retinal detachment and other things I would not care to try or risk) second time round and that the implants may not attach cleanly.

So EYErishlad - What's your professional 'off the record' musings on a 4 yr old who has had congenital cataracted lenses removed at 2 and aphakia (sorry not sure that's spelt right) with limited to no peripheral vision? Surgeon left the lense capsule in place, with the view that once he's grown they'll be able to insert IOD around 15-18yrs ..will the capsule really just hangout and continue to grow and be viable and acceptable for that long?Amazing isn't it.

What about the various types of IOD? What is best value for the 'wearer'? What gives the best vision/flexibility? Also taking into account 'natural visual issues that result from just getting older - what's going to be best in the long run?

Multi or single? What's the argument and decision for either?

Sorry to do the spanish inquisition, just interested to hear other 'qualified peoples' thinking - we are just going off what our guys say and they are great but given how my ops didn't leave me with the greatest result I am very keen to ensure I am making the best decisions for my boy.

irishlad
19th January 2008, 18:37
I am a qualified contact lens optician. In NZ that qualification is not fully recog Inised so I work as a dispensing optician. I measure people up for specs & lenses and also quality check all products coming into the store (when I am there). I have also done some part time work for a couple of Auckland Opthalmologists, doing the hard work for them after operations so they can sign people off as sorted.

With your son don't worry. He should be fine to have IOL's implanted. Traditionally single vision lenses were the only option. That took patient from being Aphakic to Pseudo-Aphakic. Now a lot of surgeons are working with multifocal IOL's. They are good and getting much better. When your son get his done circa 2023 I would expect them to be very good. He will really have Bionic eyes.

homer
19th January 2008, 19:17
i have worsening eye sight
astigmatism in one eye and a little in the other

usually i find if theres a problem or a something coming at me say a bird a rabbit or cat ,in these events i just shut both eyes .

As for actually seeing its quite good ,but when cloudy or very grey its quite hard to focus properly ,or at night sometimes hard to see clearly

In the later events i find guess work comes in to play
....works for me