PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclists Wanted - Queensland

Dino
18th January 2008, 09:58
And I thought NZ officials were good and scaring people away from motorbikes.

This has been borrowed from an Australian motorbike forum site; the advertisement has been taken out by the Gold Coast Motorcycle Safety Steering Committee.

Bikernereid
18th January 2008, 10:02
That is so bang out of order and just sick!! Fookwits.

And I though NZ officials were good and scaring people away from motorbikes.

This has been borrowed from an Australian motorbike forum site; the advertisement has been taken out by the Gold Coast Motorcycle Safety Steering Committee.

Nasty
18th January 2008, 10:09
My first reaction was that was brillient ... sorry to those offended .. but its an interesting scare factor.

Nagash
18th January 2008, 10:14
Since when has riding a motorbike become a sin?

I reckon that's a pretty low blow..

Nasty
18th January 2008, 10:16
I don't think that people are reading what the ad says ... don't say nothing about sin .... don't say alot except do dumb things and be prepared to die ...

Coldrider
18th January 2008, 10:21
Looks like it is an advertisement for police recruitment, bikey cops.

P38
18th January 2008, 17:16
These are the same people who are lobbying for a ban on sportbikes from Queensland roads.

They get plenty of press coverage too.

Everytime a motorcyclist dies on the road they are there bleating about the motorcyclists and the carnage they cause.

I was on the Gold Coast last christmas when a guy on a sportbike got pinged by a fixed speed camera which they have at every major intersection.

He was doing over 200kms in a 80km zone a couple of minutes later he failed to take a corner and slammed into a tree resulting in a very gruesome accident scene. Made the front page of the paper and the TV News. Half a page was for the accident and a photo, one page was for these people to spread their evil message. This guy was the 11th motorcycle death in the Gold Coast area in 6 months.

Highly Vocal determined people who at the end of the day might get their wish.

Every death just strengthens their argument.

Deano
18th January 2008, 17:22
I don't think that people are reading what the ad says ... don't say nothing about sin .... don't say alot except do dumb things and be prepared to die ...

But why single out motorcyclists ? Sounds like there is an agenda behind the ad's.

The Pastor
18th January 2008, 17:36
dj RM turns out the phat beats yo check it

wiki wiki wiki wiki REPOST.

Dafe
18th January 2008, 17:39
My first reaction was that was brillient ... sorry to those offended .. but its an interesting scare factor.

I like the angle on it too. Well done.

However, not every motorcyclist fits the criteria listed. I'd say only a handful do and ironically, they're probably the most likely of us all to make the appointment.

skidMark
18th January 2008, 17:55

seeing your mates in a box does the trick too.:(

ElCoyote
18th January 2008, 18:11
These are the same people who are lobbying for a ban on sportbikes from Queensland roads.

Why pick on sprotsbikes, they are more capable of safe cornering (ridden sensibly) than cruisers or tourers. Not picking on those marques, but why single out sprotsbikes. When confronted with an issue on the road I prefer to know I can ride around it if all else fails. That's me however. I prefer a Subaru all wheel drive to a 300kw jappa with front wheel drive. :whocares:

Nasty
19th January 2008, 05:38
I like the angle on it too. Well done.

However, not every motorcyclist fits the criteria listed. I'd say only a handful do and ironically, they're probably the most likely of us all to make the appointment.

And it should onlt be a handful .... to me that was part of t he point ... but maybe I am reading it wrong ... I don't think that all of us or in fact many of us fit what it says ... but it seems a stong message to those who do.

Nasty
19th January 2008, 05:39
seeing your mates in a box does the trick too.:(

I know ... I watched my sister in recovery for ten years after she was hit ... by another motorcycle breaking the law. I know thats what has worked for me ...

Bikernereid
19th January 2008, 06:10
Yes deaths do strengthen their arguments but why the hell do they not advertise about the bloody morons who drive cars and cause deaths and usually to other innocent people? If a rider kills themselves that is thier problem if a car driver kills their passengers, other motorists or pedestrians it becomes other peoples problems.

They get plenty of press coverage too.

Everytime a motorcyclist dies on the road they are there bleating about the motorcyclists and the carnage they cause.

I was on the Gold Coast last christmas when a guy on a sportbike got pinged by a fixed speed camera which they have at every major intersection.

He was doing over 200kms in a 80km zone a couple of minutes later he failed to take a corner and slammed into a tree resulting in a very gruesome accident scene. Made the front page of the paper and the TV News. Half a page was for the accident and a photo, one page was for these people to spread their evil message. This guy was the 11th motorcycle death in the Gold Coast area in 6 months.

Highly Vocal determined people who at the end of the day might get their wish.

Every death just strengthens their argument.

Kittyhawk
19th January 2008, 10:16
Lol nice advert...although I think its aimed at the wrong audience. I think it should be aimed at the less experienced riders before upgrading bikes..Because yes when we are young and getting more powerful bikes we do consider ourselfs indestructible...at least once :2thumbsup

There is more than bikers whom die on the roads...

Whats this about Queensland banning sportsbikes? :(

Conquiztador
19th January 2008, 10:32
Now THATS funny. Or perhaps my humour is warped. Could be as a result of brain damage...

Wonder what is driving this crowd? A bunch of mums who have lost their kids on bikes? Greenies? Church goers who hate the noise of bikes while praying? Jelousy as they can't afford a bike?

But more interesting, where does their $$'s come from??

P38
20th January 2008, 15:09
Yes deaths do strengthen their arguments but why the hell do they not advertise about the bloody morons who drive cars and cause deaths and usually to other innocent people? If a rider kills themselves that is thier problem if a car driver kills their passengers, other motorists or pedestrians it becomes other peoples problems.

It's simple really.

Their particular political intrest is to ban motorcycles from the roads.

Starting with Super/Sportbikes.

End of story.

P38
20th January 2008, 15:19
Whats this about Queensland banning sportsbikes? :(

Sport bikes are not banned in Queensland.... at least not yet.

However there is a lobby group based on the Gold Coast who's stated aim is to lobby the Queensland state government to ban these bikes from the road.

They are organised, reasourced and well versed in the power of the media.

There's probally a lobby group like this here in NZ too, just no so vocal .... YET!!!

There's Nutters like this everwhere.

The danger comes when they get their shit together and use the political process to advance their cause.

EG. who'd of thought a minior political party in NZ could get legislation passed to ban a smack?

Just the thin edge of the wedge, so brace yourselves.

janno
20th January 2008, 15:44
Sorry, but I think it's a great ad. In no way does it single out sportsbikes. It's no different than the drunk driving car ones - do you all hop up and down and cry foul and feel you are being picked on every time you see one of those?

And after having just left Brisbane mid last year after living there for three years, no there is not some big groundswell of support to have sportsbikes banned. Just because something is in the paper doesn't mean its true, kiddies.

The anti bike brigade over there hates all bikes, they don't single any one type out as all styles of motorcyclists are killing themselves in a spectacularly monotonous fashion, and something like 60 - 70% of fatalities are single vehicle accidents on a Sunday afternoon.

However the motorcycling fraternity over there is huge, quite well organised and more importantly has a lot of financial power. These are the guys who managed to get the anti lane splitting bill chucked out, remember. Could you imagine that happening here?

This ad is a good one, and quite frankley I would be happy to see it published in bike magazines. I'm sure we all know someone who fits the wanted ad requirements and maybe needs to be reminded of where they will end up.

lealand
20th January 2008, 16:10
Darwin Awards
Awards" have been given for people who "do a service to Humanity by removing themselves from the Gene pool", i.e., lose the ability to reproduce. It is for people who kill, or in rare cases, sterilize themselves accidentally by attempting to do stupid feats.

I would be keen to see the add go live on NZ TV my self

Michael, 27, was spending a pleasant afternoon cruising on his motorcycle. But witnesses who saw him speeding down Meridian Avenue were not surprised when state troopers reported that he had lost control near the Kapowsin Highway. You see, he was steering with his feet. Michael was killed instantly after being thrown from his motorcycle, which had veered to the right and hit a guardrail.

And these guys are here in good old NZ

McJim
20th January 2008, 16:49
Well it must be mis spelt - far more motorists kill themselves and others than motorcyclists do.

They're spending an awful lot of time conentrating on an awful small percentage of the road toll.

Fuckwits.

Ocean1
20th January 2008, 17:35
Sorry, but I think it's a great ad. In no way does it single out sportsbikes. It's no different than the drunk driving car ones - do you all hop up and down and cry foul and feel you are being picked on every time you see one of those?

Don't you have stuff to do in the kitchen dear?

It's a fine example of diversion of public budget for the specific use of the fetishist group of your choice.

It clearly implies all motorcyclists enjoy excessive speed, etc, etc.

Personally I chose not to take a fence. But it is odious, and an offence against the intelligence.

janno
20th January 2008, 17:38
Don't you have stuff to do in the kitchen dear?

It's a fine example of diversion of public budget for the specific use of the fetishist group of your choice.

Personally I chose not to take a fence. But it is odious, and an offence against the intelligence.

so a "don't drink and drive" ad clearly implies that ALL car drivers drink and drive??

PS when I come and see you I expect you to put up yer dukes, ya big girl.

RDJ
20th January 2008, 17:55
These are the same people who are lobbying for a ban on sportbikes from Queensland roads. Every death just strengthens their argument.

With respect, it doesn't. It may make the argument superficially and temporarily more believable to the underinformed and the uncritical, but as has been said very many times before here and elsewhere - if somebody does something exceptionally risky or just has plain bad luck, and dies, it doesn't mean that everybody else who engages in same activity has to be protected from death by eliminating the activity. See for example rugby, mountaineering, skydiving, taking a bath, carrying out home handyman work, painting the roof, arguing with a man with a gun, arguing with a woman with a gun, testfiring an "unloaded" gun while pointing it at yourself, driving a car, getting married, getting divorced, staying single, having a de facto relationship, skateboarding, being a pedestrian, climbing stairs, descending stairs, jumping, running, walking, cycling, sauntering, ambling.... and so forth.

Just, y'know, sayin'.

Taz
20th January 2008, 17:56
A good way to get the message across.

Kittyhawk
20th January 2008, 18:41
Sport bikes are not banned in Queensland.... at least not yet.

However there is a lobby group based on the Gold Coast who's stated aim is to lobby the Queensland state government to ban these bikes from the road.

They are organised, reasourced and well versed in the power of the media.

There's probally a lobby group like this here in NZ too, just no so vocal .... YET!!!

There's Nutters like this everwhere.

The danger comes when they get their shit together and use the political process to advance their cause.

EG. who'd of thought a minior political party in NZ could get legislation passed to ban a smack?

Just the thin edge of the wedge, so brace yourselves.

What if you are traveling interstate? Are you saying that you have to get off your bike as you enter Queensland, travel through using alternative methods of transport then once you have passed through get back on ya bike??

If they ban them in one place they would have to do it in all states correct?

Ocean1
20th January 2008, 18:42
so a "don't drink and drive" ad clearly implies that ALL car drivers drink and drive??

PS when I come and see you I expect you to put up yer dukes, ya big girl.

Not usually. But at face value the criticism of the ad in question remains valid.

In fact I find ALL ads a crashing bore, an unwanted intrusion, but an ad which attempts to censured a minority group because of a tenuous link between that group and a completely unrelated behaviour is political manipulation, pure and simple.

Put up me dukes? I'll buy off any honour-debt with a curry eh? P'raps a nice drop of wine...

Crate of Shepards Ridge?

Mixdup
24th January 2008, 09:04
How bad this ad is depends on where it is placed. Inside a bike mag I'd have no issue, anywhere more "public" and I would be furious. Why? Because the ad says "motorcyclists wanted" not "Reckless motorcyclists wanted". In a bike mag ever viewer is a biker and knows what the ad is about, namely - think carefully about your behaviour if you fit this criteria. Published to a non-bike audience the ad implies that the criteria are "standard issue" for motorcyclists.

As bikers we can sit in here and analyse this ad all we like, but in reality, we need to look at how this ad is percieved by non-bikers. I work in media/comms/PR and can tell you that unless the people who designed the ad were really dumb, they knew that it would have the effect of helping the general public associate motorcyles with danger and recklessness.

MANY on this forum, myself included, are less than thrilled by some of the excessive behaviour on bikes and believe as bikers we have some role to play in encouraging safe (if not always 'legal') bike use. BUT, ALL of us I'm sure do not want to see so-called "biker eductaion" campaigns manipulated to become alarmist, anti-bike propaganda.

Cheers

bell
24th January 2008, 17:54
How bad this ad is depends on where it is placed. Inside a bike mag I'd have no issue, anywhere more "public" and I would be furious. Why? Because the ad says "motorcyclists wanted" not "Reckless motorcyclists wanted". In a bike mag ever viewer is a biker and knows what the ad is about, namely - think carefully about your behaviour if you fit this criteria. Published to a non-bike audience the ad implies that the criteria are "standard issue" for motorcyclists.

As bikers we can sit in here and analyse this ad all we like, but in reality, we need to look at how this ad is percieved by non-bikers. I work in media/comms/PR and can tell you that unless the people who designed the ad were really dumb, they knew that it would have the effect of helping the general public associate motorcyles with danger and recklessness.

MANY on this forum, myself included, are less than thrilled by some of the excessive behaviour on bikes and believe as bikers we have some role to play in encouraging safe (if not always 'legal') bike use. BUT, ALL of us I'm sure do not want to see so-called "biker eductaion" campaigns manipulated to become alarmist, anti-bike propaganda.

Cheers

Absolutely spot on. These articles were poached from another forum. They highlight a few points quite well:
* we'll always have individuals on bikes amongst us who don't have the skills to continue their risk-taking behaviour, and
* the media will always be up for a bit of alarmist propaganda; believe what you will and cast a very critical eye over the rest.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22896929-3102,00.html

The statistic that this article quotes is that (in QLD) bike fatalities account for 21% of the road toll yet bikes account for 4% of vehicles on the roads. Yes, of course some of those bike fatalities will have been the result of other vehicles being in the wrong and a few of them are most likely pillions.

And yes, the Courier Mail has never been regarded as a bastion of journalistic integrity. Take what you will from it.

<script type="text/javascript">1201151764", parseInt("311"), parseInt("1215"), "139.02K" ); //]]> </script> <table style="width: auto; display: inline;" id="ipb-attach-table-12277-0-47165900-1201151764" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script type="text/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ fix_linked_image_sizes_attach_thumb( "12277-0-47165900-1201151764", parseInt("831"), parseInt("1222"), "310.23K" ); //]]> </script> <table style="width: auto; display: inline;" id="ipb-attach-table-12276-0-47186600-1201151764" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script type="text/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ fix_linked_image_sizes_attach_thumb( "12276-0-47186600-1201151764", parseInt("425"), parseInt("584"), "80.16K" ); //]]> </script> <table style="width: 506px; display: inline; height: 15px;" id="ipb-attach-table-12279-0-47209300-1201151764" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Moxy
25th January 2008, 18:24
Ha, the "have a selfish attitude toward family and friends" requirement is a bit off. A selfish rider wouldn't be doing anything dumb in the first place; since poor risk-management is acting against self interest.

It's only pointing at enjoying "excessive speed in built-up areas" - it excludes highways, country roads, etc.

lealand
5th February 2008, 14:27
Hurt biker's condition critical www.stuff.co.nz taranaki paper ;-(
"He has done about as much damage to himself as you can do and still be alive,"
On a simple bit of road ;-)

A mate last night said to me about a "guy we know" dont ride with him hes a total dickhead on a bike........

I was out riding yesterday did maybe 300 ks distance during that time a mate dropped his bike ;-(
kinda showed me how a simple movment and BANG lucky I was there to pick the bike off him ;-(

You know guys how come most women I have been riding with are impresive riders they just make riding fun and you dont come home fryed out of your brain from blasting along at time to think >>>

Bevin

JMemonic
7th February 2008, 12:00
Having just (02/02/08) returned from a holiday that took me to various parts of Australia, I saw what I feel to possibly be the major cause of serious injury and perhaps death to motorcyclists as blatantly obvious I will come back to this in a minute.

Whist in Surfers for some two weeks the majority of "bikes" I saw on the road were rental scooters and obviously tourists on Harley's, when out on the bus travelling to the theme parks and the trip from Surfers to Brisbane I saw a few locals but they shared the obvious fault I will get to with the vast majority of Aussie motorcyclists I observed.

Queensland, particularly Surfers suffers from an abundance of rental bikes and I include scooters here as joe public does, the scooters being cheap to hire and only needing a car licence to do so, and to see folks driving these things with their lack of respect for the rules or perhaps its just a misunderstanding of them, even seeing a couple of scooters trying to take on the motorways does make me wonder if there is any separation of statistics on injury's and deaths due to tourists on rented bikes or are they just lumped together.

The Queensland government offers a subsidised rider training programme for those interested in taking it and I am sure the responsible riders out there and those belonging to vocal forums and groups making comments about this advert will all either have been on one or be going to do one (Tui ad).

As to the problem I saw, its attitude to safety, the most obvious symptom being the lack of gear, tee shirts, shorts and sandals seem to be the norm, and if a helmet was not compulsory I doubt most would wear one.

In surfers I saw a bloke wearing little more than speedo's and jandals, riding a very nice Ducati Monster, at speed I might add.

In WA I was offered a bike for a test ride, I was in what appeared to be standard safety apparel locally when I said I did not have any gear I was told they would lend me a helmet, must have been the glare off my lilly white legs that confused the bloke on what safety gear meant.

Ocean1
7th February 2008, 12:17
As to the problem I saw, its attitude to safety, the most obvious symptom being the lack of gear, tee shirts, shorts and sandals seem to be the norm, and if a helmet was not compulsory I doubt most would wear one.

N Zud is similar in this regard only to a few European countries. Certainly the US is similar to what you describe. As for Asia? China is an eye opener.

The concept of safety apparel in Malaysia seems limited to wearing ones rain jacket backwards, mostly to allow the local small calibre machinery to attain the minimum 120kph required to stand some chance of avoiding being used as traction by one of the seriously balistic cages.

Qkchk
7th February 2008, 12:24
New Zealand's Dept of Labour (OSH) have got something similar........