PDA

View Full Version : TV Coverage

Badjelly
18th January 2008, 10:18
I understand the New Zealand Superbike Championship Series 2008 (that seems to be the official name) is being televised, as was the street-circuit race at Wanganui and presumably the Paeroa race. My question is, what's a good strategy for actually getting to see these on TV? From time to time I watch the TV1 motorsport show on Sunday afternoon and the various Sky programmes covering NZ motorsport (Fujitsu Motorsport, Suzuki Speedweek, Karcher Pitlane, are there any others?). I come across occasional snippets of bike racing from last week or last month or last year. On Wednesday night there was a brief summary of the Ruapuna results (with the obligatory coverage of Sam Smith high-siding) but there must be more! Can I find out in advance what's going to be covered in each of these programmes? How long after the event do they typically cover the bike racing? Or do I have to tape every minute of every NZ motorsport show and look for it myself.

Apologies if this info is available elsewhere on the site. I did do a quick search with no success.

Bikernereid
18th January 2008, 10:20
Some nice people will post torrents on here for the race meets. If you want Wanga torrent let me know or you can find it on here somewhere.

I understand the New Zealand Superbike Championship Series 2008 (that seems to be the official name) is being televised, as was the street-circuit race at Wanganui and presumably the Paeroa race. My question is, what's a good strategy for actually getting to see these on TV? From time to time I watch the TV1 motorsport show on Sunday afternoon and the various Sky programmes covering NZ motorsport (Fujitsu Motorsport, Suzuki Speedweek, Karcher Pitlane, are there any others?). I come across occasional snippets of bike racing from last week or last month or last year. On Wednesday night there was a brief summary of the Ruapuna results (with the obligatory coverage of Sam Smith high-siding) but there must be more! Can I find out in advance what's going to be covered in each of these programmes? How long after the event do they typically cover the bike racing? Or do I have to tape every minute of every NZ motorsport show and look for it myself.

Apologies if this info is available elsewhere on the site. I did do a quick search with no success.

Badjelly
18th January 2008, 10:41
Some nice people will post torrents on here for the race meets. If you want Wanga torrent let me know or you can find it on here somewhere.

Thanks. Er, what's a torrent?:blink:

Bikernereid
18th January 2008, 10:51
it is a file that is shared between users over the internet, like movies etc. Look on the net for Mininova and Azureus. If youn get stuck PM me.

Thanks. Er, what's a torrent?:blink:

Badjelly
18th January 2008, 11:07
it is a file that is shared between users over the internet.

I thought you'd left the country, Bikern1mpho. Oh I see, your location says "Portsmouth", so you have left the country. Welcome back, virtually.

Thanks for being patient with the a multimedia-challenged old fart.

Bikernereid
18th January 2008, 11:12
Yes back in the UK and missining NZ like nuts. Yes back in cold, wet Pompey for my sins.

Hey nothing wrong with being multimedia challenged, there are young men (OWNER) who are still getting to grips with the wonders iof the internet (just deafened me on skype)!! If you need anything else let me know. Erik is the guy who posted the link to the torrent for Wanga if that helps.

I thought you'd left the country, Bikern1mpho. Oh I see, your location says "Portsmouth", so you have left the country. Welcome back, virtually.

Thanks for being patient with the a multimedia-challenged old fart.

Ivan
18th January 2008, 11:26
I have heard that they are ment to be covering every class but the chances of them doing that is low.
I wastold our nationals prize money has been removed to cover media costs.

So technically I do hope our class is covered or we the other classes are paying to watch superbikes.

Nicksta
18th January 2008, 11:32
I have heard that they are ment to be covering every class but the chances of them doing that is low.

So technically I do hope our class is covered or we the other classes are paying to watch superbikes.
thats not cool.... removed a prize for a hope of seeing a hint of yourself on TV....? I bat if we get Leong with his digital video filming from the stands we would get better coverage... and prize money!!
then youtube will be full of Nats racing!

I hope there is coverage.... but i'm thinking it will be like wangas.... it aired last weekend... one month late seems almost live i guess??...lol

Billy
18th January 2008, 11:41

Unfortunately for the rest of us Ivan thats how it is and nothing you or I do will change that.Its just how the current administrators want things to run and thats that.Regarding the Television coverage, I would suggest you all contact every motorcyclists favourite official Jim Tuckerman @ Motorsport network.co.nz as he is also the media officer for NZSBK series as I understand it.GOOD LUCK with that.Cheers Billy

GSVR
18th January 2008, 11:58

I have the last 3 years of Wanganui on my computer and I have to admit the TV covage of this years event was nothing like the other two years (2005 and 2006) when you actually had some good racing going on.

Bikernereid
18th January 2008, 12:07
Don't you'll make me all jealous. I have only been this year so really do not have anything NZ to compare it to. Had fun though and really dig super motard now.

I have the last 3 years of Wanganui on my computer and I have to admit the TV covage of this years event was nothing like the other two years (2005 and 2006) when you actually had some good racing going on.

scracha
18th January 2008, 21:41
Don't you'll make me all jealous. I have only been this year so really do not have anything NZ to compare it to. Had fun though and really dig super motard now.

Brands is just up the road from you or if you can manage it do yourself a favour and take a bike out at Cadwell Park....it's superb.

Tim 39
21st January 2008, 16:35
amy word of when the ruapuna round of nats will be shown??

steveyb
21st January 2008, 16:46
Brands is just up the road from you or if you can manage it do yourself a favour and take a bike out at Cadwell Park....it's superb.

Just up the road from Portsmouth??????? You gotta be reading the wrong map mate. Admittedly not like driving from WGN to AKL, but not just up the road either. Thruxton, Castle Coombe and Silverstone are probably closer.

TV coverage of the racing has gotten into the heads of the administrators like a virus. I my opinion (and it is formed after talking with people who actually make TV) it is a red herring.

Showing half a dozen (or fewer) bad angles 1-2 (or more) months after the event is a complete and utter waste of time and money.

It has to be said though, they have a good budget for marketing and advertising which got a good crowd through the door at Ruapuna, and it was utterly miserable weather for watching racing (hot, sunny, windy, dry).

Pity about the series poster though.

Burrt Badger
21st January 2008, 19:38
Steveyb.

If you know something the rest of us dont, or think you can do a better job, get off your A*se and put your hand up to do the job of Road Race Commissioner. Delayed coverage is all we can afford, unless you can bring a big time sponsor to the table while you are the Road Race Commissioner.

scracha
22nd January 2008, 17:05
Just up the road from Portsmouth??????? You gotta be reading the wrong map mate.

Less than 4 hours ride at 89mph. Hell, I used to come down from central Scotland for my Cadwell fix...it's that good.

Showing half a dozen (or fewer) bad angles 1-2 (or more) months after the event is a complete and utter waste of time and money.

I personally thought the A1 GP tv coverage was piss poor (when compared to F1, motogp or superbikes). On a modest budget, I guess it's a hard call whether to have limited delayed TV coverage or use the money elsewhere.

Maybe sticking some relatively inexpensive bullet cams to some of the bikes, using some common camcorders trackside and paying for decent video editing to make a dvd or pay per view webby clips would be better?

Pity about the series poster though.
What poster?

ElCoyote
22nd January 2008, 18:58

Ring this man and say Uncle Phil suggested it. If you like I can send you the programmes a week in advance but I do not know what bikes they are featuring. Ausie V8's are going to 3 so Channel 1 have more options now. You can thank David for what little coverage we do get he has motorsport at heart unlike some channels.

David Turner
Motorsport Producer - ONE Sport
D. 64 9 916 7733
F. 64 9 916 7730
M. 64 21 244 1504