PDA

View Full Version : My first ride on a Hog

Deano
12th November 2004, 17:24
Well its taken 18 years of licensed riding but I finally got to ride a Harley.

My partner's step father offered me a go on his and I jumped at the chance to experience something new.

Just before my test ride his son suggested that I was going to 'ride a real bike', to which I had a bit of a chuckle - while cruisers are not really 'my thing', Ive always said each to their own and whatever the bike, riding can be great fun.

I pulled out of the drive and thought where the hell have the footpegs gone -this bike only had the highway pegs which felt quite bizarre.

Once I got the hang of it balance wise etc it was a lot of fun. I have to admit I laughed pretty much the whole way just cause it felt so different and Im sitting back like in an armchair - very comfortable.

I couldn't get over how cool it felt leaning into corners stretched out like that.

Not that I would trade the SP1 in or anything, but if Im ever rich enough to have several bikes, a harley in the garage would certainly get some use whenever I was in the mood for a nice leisurely cruise.

I can definitely see the attraction for you cruiser guys.

The only real drawback I found was the brakes, or lack of, but it may have partly been the condition of this particular bike.

Anyway, thought I would share my experience and for all the sports bike riders, don't knock it until you've tried it.

BTW - big ups to WT for the way he can ride these things. Who da man.

Motoracer
12th November 2004, 17:33
I can't wait to hava go on a Harly myself.

Jackrat
12th November 2004, 17:55
I take a few days an quite a few Kms to get into any bike I ride.
My first ride on an HD was through pouring rain in heavy traffic,by the time I got home I was wondering what the hell I'd got myself into.
Still if you enjoyed it,cool, good on you.
That real bike BS gott'a make ya' laugh but aye :doh:

hondav2
13th November 2004, 18:48
Well written Deno, I love my HOG and will never sell it, but they aint a SP1, CBR or a VTR aye. We gotta have them for that big buz and gettin the chicks fizzing. Cheers Toddy

White trash
13th November 2004, 19:09

My partner's step father offered me a go on his and I jumped at the chance to experience something new.

Just before my test ride his son suggested that I was going to 'ride a real bike', to which I had a bit of a chuckle - while cruisers are not really 'my thing', Ive always said each to their own and whatever the bike, riding can be great fun.

I pulled out of the drive and thought where the hell have the footpegs gone -this bike only had the highway pegs which felt quite bizarre.

Once I got the hang of it balance wise etc it was a lot of fun. I have to admit I laughed pretty much the whole way just cause it felt so different and Im sitting back like in an armchair - very comfortable.

I couldn't get over how cool it felt leaning into corners stretched out like that.

Not that I would trade the SP1 in or anything, but if Im ever rich enough to have several bikes, a harley in the garage would certainly get some use whenever I was in the mood for a nice leisurely cruise.

The only real drawback I found was the brakes, or lack of, but it may have partly been the condition of this particular bike.

Anyway, thought I would share my experience and for all the sports bike riders, don't knock it until you've tried it.

Good one man. It's all about the ride, baby!

inlinefour
14th November 2004, 11:01

I got to ride a 2002 model, no brake problems, but a lack of cournering (yes I'm comparing it to my Honda), handled much like my Hilus Surf :puke:

Jackrat
14th November 2004, 14:14
I got to ride a 2002 model, no brake problems, but a lack of cournering (yes I'm comparing it to my Honda), handled much like my Hilus Surf :puke:

Which model did you ride.
Comparing them all as one is like comparing all hondas as one.
A CBR don't handle like a Gold wing and an FXR or sportster don't handle like a Softail or FLH.
And none of them handle like your Gutlux surf,I know I owned one as well,that really was bad. :msn-wink:

inlinefour
14th November 2004, 19:16
Which model did you ride.
Comparing them all as one is like comparing all hondas as one.
A CBR don't handle like a Gold wing and an FXR or sportster don't handle like a Softail or FLH.
And none of them handle like your Gutlux surf,I know I owned one as well,that really was bad. :msn-wink:

Yea might go quicker on the straights but counering is pretty much equal...

dangerous
14th November 2004, 20:19

A)I pulled out of the drive and thought where the hell have the footpegs gone -this bike only had the highway pegs which felt quite bizarre.

B)Once I got the hang of it balance wise etc it was a lot of fun. I have to admit I laughed pretty much the whole way just cause it felt so different and Im sitting back like in an armchair - very comfortable.

C)I couldn't get over how cool it felt leaning into corners stretched out like that.
D)don't knock it until you've tried it.

Interesting...... mates have had HD's before but they were Buel's awesome fun and sportsters, which arnt to bad but as for the big blocks.......
Before coming back from Brissie I sold my VFR but still had a rally to go to so I hired a SuperGlide, "fuk it was horrible" thats how I would sum it up.
Ya know I thought it was about time that I tryed the cruzer thing so this would be a good tril run.

re you comments above: A) agree :blink:
B) laugh, I was in hesterics.... went out the Bruce Highway with a mate on the back farrrrrkin funny bottomed out on every dip and pebbel, wouldent go around the easiest of roundabouts... I ened up going over the bloody thing :laugh: and as for power :beer: it was the new 1450 twin cam and couldent pull the skin of ya rice pud, and they were ment to be 40% powerfuller or something.
C)..... ya what??? cool, it was not. You need help Deano :whistle:
D) very true I tried it I hated it.... IMO HD suck :Pokey:
Next I want to try out one of them Yamaha Wariors.

hondav2
14th November 2004, 21:33
There aint nothin like draggin the footboards to keep you awake, and you dont dare roll off the gas when tryin to go quick in the twisties, I must admit they got character even if they cost heaps more than there worth. I checked out prices for Hogs and Rocket3,s in Aust. Get a rocket 3 for Aust $25,000 and there $32,000 NZ some one is makin a buck somewhere. Cheers Toddy Maybe AMPS or WMC can tell us why.

AMPS
15th November 2004, 13:12
There aint nothin like draggin the footboards to keep you awake, and you dont dare roll off the gas when tryin to go quick in the twisties, I must admit they got character even if they cost heaps more than there worth. I checked out prices for Hogs and Rocket3,s in Aust. Get a rocket 3 for Aust $25,000 and there $32,000 NZ some one is makin a buck somewhere. Cheers Toddy Maybe AMPS or WMC can tell us why.

It seems that someone else has contracted the Harley virus.
As for Aust/NZ pricing, you'll need to talk to the distributors. But I think part is due to the size of our market, extra shipping costs and exchange rates.
Lou

hondav2
16th November 2004, 19:39
Your rite to a certain extent, If you were planning on getting a rocket 3 and wanted a Aust Holiday , you could buy one over there, tour Aust , bring it back and pay Gst,shipping for about same price. Cheers Toddy

MD
4th December 2004, 11:46
Sounds like you enjoyed the experience anyway Deano.
I've secretly wanted to try the cruiser experience again and maybe enjoy slowing down for a change. So today the Trashman sorted me out with a Triumph America. I've been oggling them for some time. I think it was a case of they either sold me one, or got a court order to keep me out of the shop. Can't wait to get it home and polish all that chrome. Gotta go buy a bigger can of polish.
MD

jrandom
4th December 2004, 14:02
So today the Trashman sorted me out...

Hah! Very nice. That'll keep the license nice and intact. Why the America? Didn't want the whole same-as-everyone-else V twin thing?

Did you consider anything else, or did always have to be one of those if you were buying a cruiser?

MD
4th December 2004, 16:37
Hah! Very nice. That'll keep the license nice and intact. Why the America? Didn't want the whole same-as-everyone-else V twin thing?

Did you consider anything else, or did always have to be one of those if you were buying a cruiser?
It was purely looks JR. I'll post a pic when I pick it up. To me it's just a piece of art. Hopefully not a piece of shit to ride. Apart from a Vrod or Rocket there is bugger all difference in 'performance' terms across the cruiser range. Those 2 were way out of my price range. The latest Honda V750 is a good looker to me but where's the street cred in that and it looked a bit puny. Also I liked the idea of trying a Triumph since some of my mates were in to them in the 70s and the Bloor ones seem well made.The Speedmaster is similar but the classical wire spoked chrome wheels and engine and pulled back bars on the America worked more for my taste.
Out of the shop my brain would kick in with a doz logical reasons Spock would be proud of, not to buy it. But in the flesh and sitting on it just turned me to an irrational kid in a lolly shop. A stupid kid now I'm out of shop again. Oh shit, quick got to find that Triumph brochure for a fix.
MD

Deano
4th December 2004, 23:24
So today the Trashman sorted me out with a Triumph America. I've been oggling them for some time. MD

Yet you were out on the Blade today (saw you at Korokoro lights) ???

Deano
4th December 2004, 23:27

Harley = slow ??

You obviously haven't ridden with WT on a V-Rod - $10 says he would kick your ass, even through the twisties on your favourite road. :ar15:

MD
5th December 2004, 06:50
Yet you were out on the Blade today (saw you at Korokoro lights) ???
So that was you Deano, two up. Brave passenger. Fair breeze up the hill wasn't there yesterday.
I pick up the Triumph on Monday. Looks like the crap weather is going to rain on my parade for the next few days, bugger bugger. Hope I can get a day off work later in the week to run it in.

Deano
5th December 2004, 10:28
So that was you Deano, two up. Brave passenger. Fair breeze up the hill wasn't there yesterday.
I pick up the Triumph on Monday. Looks like the crap weather is going to rain on my parade for the next few days, bugger bugger. Hope I can get a day off work later in the week to run it in.

Nah I was in the cage - I tooted but you either had ear plugs in or were somewhere off in motorcycle bliss. Couldn't blame you for the latter riding an awesome machine like that.

Storm
5th December 2004, 10:44
Seems the cruiser bug is doing the rounds- I am thinking about getting one myself and all you people arent helping me to say no :argh: Problem is the only one I could get is the Yamaha Virago 250 due to being on my restricting license. But I still want one :whistle:

Deano
5th December 2004, 10:53
Seems the cruiser bug is doing the rounds- I am thinking about getting one myself and all you people arent helping me to say no :argh: Problem is the only one I could get is the Yamaha Virago 250 due to being on my restricting license. But I still want one :whistle:

Just chuck some easy rider bars and highway pegs at your bike - I saw a GSX1200 at Taupo track recently with these mods. Wasn't the prettiest sight but each to their own.

MD
5th December 2004, 13:26
Nah I was in the cage - I tooted but you either had ear plugs in or were somewhere off in motorcycle bliss. Couldn't blame you for the latter riding an awesome machine like that.
Earplugs aren't that good. I do remember a toot coming home but didn't think it was anyone trying to get my attention. Heading to Upper Hutt earlier I waved to a red SP1 two-up going the other way. Thought it was you but couldn't see that shiny armour on your cool new jacket. WT showed me one in the shop, great summer jacket. Pleased I went yesterday. Stuck home today, can't ride, can't paint. Atleast there's time for KB.