PDA

View Full Version : Enjoyed the NZ Veteran Solo Champs at Meeanee

Conquiztador
19th January 2008, 23:19
Just got back from the Meeanee speedway track in Hawke's Bay after watching the Veteran NZ Solo Champs. This was the first year of the Champs, but will not be the last!!

The Meeanee track has a smaller "Bull Ring" track on the infield where the solos race. The outside track is all clay these days and does not suit the solos (Used to be one of the best and fastest tracks in NZ before the clay).

Was a blast to see the oldies race! (You had to be 40+). There was guys close to 60 yo racing!!. The winner was Nathan Murray and second came Craig Ramsay. Both now from HB. (They both had 14 points after 5 races and had a 2 rider race off to decide the winner). But there was guys from all over NZ trying their luck in the 16 strong field.

Also Ivan Mauger did a few laps. A legend! At 67 he still can get it sideways.

Some of the guys had not been on a solo for years. But sounded like they were going to be more prepared next year... There was also talk about getting a bunch of Oz veterans to race next year.

Thanks to Darrin Wilson (who placed 6'th) for all the hard work and for pulling it off.

My old leathers are still almost intact. Wonder if I would still fit them...

P38
20th January 2008, 11:37
Sounds like a great meet.

Kinda bummed I had to be somewhere else last night otherwise I would of been there too.

I heard there was a couple ex HB riders come in from overseas too.

Sure hope they can do it again next year.

Solo bikes rocked :yes: when I was a kid (1970's), big feilds ,good riders and a fast track too.

I loved it when they built the new solo track even though it's smaller.

The young kids I seen riding this season are getting quite good.

Good on ya HB Speedway club.

Keep em coming.:niceone:

pete376403
20th January 2008, 20:16
Are they using the older style bikes (ie upright engines) or are these the new ones with the laydown engines?

Even though I should know better I would love to have another go, if only to prove that I really am over the hill. But buying a new bike just for that would get vetoed by the domestic services manager and financial controller.
And yeah Meeanee used to be a brilliant track - all the lime. Only thing that got me was pit corner seemed to have reverse banking - it seemed to slope down to the outside. only rode there a few times though

Conquiztador
20th January 2008, 22:53
No restrictions on what bikes. Barry Free was riding a 2 valve (and did pretty well!!!) There was stand up and also laydowns. The only rule is you have to be 40+.

Some of the guys did well from the tapes and for 2 laps but then did run out of umph.

This year there was no time trials to be one of the 16, as the numbers did not require that. But I can see that becoming a must. What with the rest of us thinking: "Hey, if he can do it so can I. And I used to beat him!!!"

See you there next year. Perhaps even in a set of leathers...

Conquiztador
21st January 2008, 18:29
Here the article in HB Today:

http://www.hbtoday.co.nz/localsport/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3761509&thesection=localsport&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

pete376403
21st January 2008, 22:06
Hmmm, after reading that article maybe I'd just better stay away. Larry Ross, Craig Wilkie are names I recognise from my era and I'd was lucky to finish on the same lap as them...

Conquiztador
21st January 2008, 22:19
Hmmm, after reading that article maybe I'd just better stay away. Larry Ross, Craig Wilkie are names I recognise from my era and I'd was lucky to finish on the same lap as them...

Now now... Next year they will all be a year older. And there were others riding too. Not one of the riders there had a perfect 4 laps. Just think about the excitement. A year to get all ready. And here we were thinking it was all over...:)

Conquiztador
22nd January 2008, 00:15
One more link with the info re all riders and the meeting:

http://vetschamps.solobike.net.nz/