PDA

View Full Version : Warning re exhaust systems.

FROSTY
20th January 2008, 14:10
I just saw the latest missive from LTSA.
It seems that in 6 months time all vehicles origonally fitted with catylitic converters in their vehicles will be reqired to have them fitted in order to pass a WOF.
Clearly aimed at the boy racer set with their drainpipe exhausts this could have a nasty effect on us bikers.

jimbo600
20th January 2008, 14:17
not really. Just slap on the original for the WoF

Motu
20th January 2008, 14:26
That will be grandfathered and come in with the new emission rules - there are too many vehicles that have had their Cats removed and new ones are not available.Cat converters are not a new thing y'know,they have been around for decades.There will be a year,and it won't be 1953,and I doubt it will be 2008 either.

James Deuce
20th January 2008, 14:26
What that man up there said, plus, the Z750 doesn't have a Cat fitted for the NZ market.

onearmedbandit
20th January 2008, 14:28
That's if you have the original. Which I do. But then my bike never came out with a cat, so I'm sweet anyway.

FROSTY
20th January 2008, 15:07
That will be grandfathered and come in with the new emission rules - there are too many vehicles that have had their Cats removed and new ones are not available.Cat converters are not a new thing y'know,they have been around for decades.There will be a year,and it won't be 1953,and I doubt it will be 2008 either.
The indication is that all vehicles fitted with it. No mention of a cutoff year.
You're probably right when it comes down to it but I do wonder how the guys with non factory sounding/looking exhausts are gonna go.

bucket boy
20th January 2008, 15:18
just gutt your converter out looks like its still there these guys that pass these stupid laws there will always be people that will get around it

Motu
20th January 2008, 16:13
The indication is that all vehicles fitted with it. No mention of a cutoff year.

I'm pretty sure this will come in with the new emission rules - ALL vehicles registered after that date WILL have to comply at date of entry.....and forever after.But almost impossible to police on the existing fleet,as others have pointed out NZ new versions seldom had Cats,yet the same model sourced from an other country would have a converter.I gutted a cat last week....who is to know? O2 sensor before the Cat,no way the computer can pick it up.....emission testing at WoF was dropped as being far too costly and unworkable....ain't gunna happen here.What will happen is a non standard exhaust rule,not OE and you fail.That one can be made to work because it is visual.....and that is all a WoF is,a visual check.

HRT
20th January 2008, 16:56
just gutt your converter out looks like its still there these guys that pass these stupid laws there will always be people that will get around it

Fair few workshop will have those digital IR thermometers which you just need to take t he car for a short drive (which you do for a warrant anyway) and see if the cat is getting hot. If you gut it out then its not going to. Fail.

The proposal a long time ago was for new vehicles coming into the country, and anything after the start or 1991 that had one originally fitted would be required to have one fitted.

And as for there not being cats available for all cars, there are universal fit ones for any size exhaust on a car. Cant say I know if they have much in the way of bike stuff.

James Deuce
20th January 2008, 16:57
The funny thing is a catalytic converter is about the least ecologically friendly thing you can stick on a car.

HRT
20th January 2008, 17:06
Or the least friendly to take off and throw away ;)

mitchilin
20th January 2008, 17:14
were free.Fresh is best though.

Subike
20th January 2008, 17:19
cut and thow away
rofl
they are the higest value scrap item on a car,
cut them open and gut them out?
you just tossed $100 worth of recoverable material.
and the people who buy it come to you.\
mmm toss them my way if you want lol

imdying
21st January 2008, 07:49
Meh, so I stop getting warrants... big deal :shrug:

onearmedbandit
21st January 2008, 07:58
No WoF = no rego. You sir, will become an outlaw. Like that guy with long hair who rode a HD and had that American Indian cop as a friend on TV on friday nights years ago. Renegade was it?

Fatjim
21st January 2008, 08:03
They're gonna have to have a cuttoff. But the problem is that 1000's of people have thrown away CAT's or bought cars without CATs,and it would be prohibitive to refit them, as they are not cheap.

In the same way, I'm surprised they have been able to make Radar detectors illegal, considering the investment people have made.

MSTRS
21st January 2008, 08:10
They're gonna have to have a cuttoff. But the problem is that 1000's of people have thrown away CAT's or bought cars without CATs,and it would be prohibitive to refit them, as they are not cheap.

In the same way, I'm surprised they have been able to make Radar detectors illegal, considering the investment people have made.

Surely only talking about that, at this stage?
I would think that although the idea sounds good on paper, that it would in reality be almost as difficult to implement as swapping us to driving on the right.

Ixion
21st January 2008, 08:48
6 months (approximately) is when the new emission rules come into force.

A lesser noticed clause forbids tampering with any emissions control stuff in an exhaust system . ie you won't legally be allowed to remove a cat.

But I doubt it would be practical to require retro-refitment of all those that have been removed over the years, or never fitted. And I very much doubt that the law allows for that, it would have to be explicitly stated, which it is not.

Ah. Found it. Here (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/q-and-a/vehicle-exhaust-emissions-2007.html#removalandtampering)

Removal and tampering: Prohibit removal of, or tampering with, a vehicle's emissions control equipment

23. What is emissions control equipment?
Emissions control equipment includes technologies on petrol vehicles such as catalytic converters and electronic engine management systems blah
24. Why should removal of, or tampering with, a vehicle's emissions control equipment be prohibited?
blah 25. Who does this affect?
This applies only to vehicles first registered for use in New Zealand after the new Rule came into effect. It is not considered practical to apply such a requirement retrospectively.
26. How will it be administered?
Used vehicles will undergo a metered emissions test during inspection at the time of their arrival in New Zealand, to ensure that the emissions control equipment is working as intended.
Vehicles are also expected to undergo a visual check to confirm that key elements of emissions control technologies are present, as part of ongoing Warrant of Fitness/Certificate of Fitness inspections associated with the visible smoke check and checking of the exhaust system. If there is reason for an inspector to suspect a vehicle may have been modified, it may be required to pass the same emissions test that applies for used vehicles at entry.
The prohibition on removal of, or tampering with, a vehicle’s emissions control equipment is important because it lays the foundations for any future metered emissions test. There will no longer be any excuse for a vehicle not to meet a test standard.
27. What will happen if I repair or modify the vehicle?
If a vehicle’s exhaust emissions equipment is modified or repaired, it will be a requirement that the repair enables the vehicle to continue to comply with the standard to which it was built. If there is doubt over whether the modification is appropriate, a vehicle may be required to undergo an emissions test to demonstrate compliance. This provision applies only to vehicles that are required to comply with a specific standard when they enter the New Zealand fleet, it does not apply to vehicles that are already part of the in-service fleet.

vifferman
21st January 2008, 09:31
I'm surprised they have been able to make Radar detectors illegal, considering the investment people have made.
:spudwhat:
Would it be a bigger investment than that made in big bore zorsts, illegal suspension mods, etc.? I can't see the bureaucrats for a minute even slightly entertaining the idea of beginning to think about the vague possibility of doing (or not doing) summat because of the financial impact it might have.

The Pastor
21st January 2008, 10:25
dont bother me anyhow. you dont need that extra 5% of power on the road ;)

scumdog
21st January 2008, 10:56

Investment-inschmestvent...the Gov't cares little about the 'investment' people have made....can you imagine them ever seeing the purchase of a device designed to allow driving/riding at a speed over the legal limit as an 'investment'?

Re the convertors, I think RM summed it up quite nicely.

Daffyd
21st January 2008, 11:51
I would think that although the idea sounds good on paper, that it would in reality be almost as difficult to implement as swapping us to driving on the right.

Swapping to driving on the right isn't difficult. Do what Ireland did.
Several steps...first, start with trucks! :done:

ManDownUnder
21st January 2008, 11:56
The funny thing is a catalytic converter is about the least ecologically friendly thing you can stick on a car.

Forgive the ignorance - but why?

James Deuce
21st January 2008, 12:01
Two things.

1. They need to be disposed of using a process that recovers the heavy metals that act as catalysers. Instead the cars are dumped and as the cat rots heavy metals leech into the ground water. Takes years, but the end result is the same. People dying of systemic organ failure. Once that stuff is in the food chain it concentrates with each step up the chain until we get decent doses of things you're not supposed to eat.

2. Ever follow a petrol powered car up a hill and wonder why it smells like a diesel? Sulphur. The catalyser has ceased to function and is now pumping sulphides. No one replaces a worn cat. So the car goes back on the road with no emissions controls, usually at the recommendation of your friendly neigbourhood mechanic.

RantyDave
21st January 2008, 12:14
Emissions control equipment includes technologies on petrol vehicles such as catalytic converters and electronic engine management systems blah
Perhaps more to the point:

"Emissions control equipment includes technologies on petrol vehicles such as catalytic converters and electronic engine management systems blah"

Would imply (in theory) a ban on chipping, remapping and power commanders. In practice, of course, you need to enforce laws and I don't really see a WOF examiner popping the lid on my ECU and diffing the uploaded map against the stock one.

What I don't get is why they don't just state what the emission regulations are, then leave us to it. Then you could piss with cats, ecu's, zorsts or whatever and all the WOF centre has to do is shove a gas analyser up it's butt to see if it with tolerance.

Dave

Ixion
21st January 2008, 12:17
Well, there actually is provision for that. If you DO modify an emission control component (and as you say, Power Commanders would fall foul of the rule) , and admit to it (why ? FGS), then you cango and get the emissions tested at a LVV certifier place. Get a compliance cert and all sweet. Too complex and expensive for standrd WoF places, that's been knocked right out.

As you say, most such changes, WoF will never pick it up, and only an idiot would advertise it.

EDIT rechipping ECUs is specifically illegal in some US states.

RantyDave
21st January 2008, 12:22
Ever follow a petrol powered car up a hill and wonder why it smells like a diesel? Sulphur. The catalyser has ceased to function and is now pumping sulphides. No one replaces a worn cat
Ohhhh, this is interesting. Now, according to Wikipedia

Depending on the contaminant, catalyst poisoning can sometimes be reversed by running the engine under a very heavy load for an extended period of time.
In other words, going for a really huge fang is actually environmentally friendly. Right, I'm off to save the planet :)

Dave

more_fasterer
21st January 2008, 13:11
Well, there actually is provision for that. If you DO modify an emission control component (and as you say, Power Commanders would fall foul of the rule) , and admit to it (why ? FGS), then you cango and get the emissions tested at a LVV certifier place. Get a compliance cert and all sweet. Too complex and expensive for standrd WoF places, that's been knocked right out.

So if you had a vehicle that needed LVVTA certification anyway, and were to go through the emissions testing process as part of the certification, you'd have a legitimate, documented reason why your "noticeably different from standard" exhaust, with no cat, is perfectly legal?

Doesn't sound that idiotic to me...

Maffoo
21st January 2008, 19:02
see this is why i stick to old cars & bikes

retrospective rules - i love'em !!

Robbo
21st January 2008, 19:18
Well, it's good to see that LTSA is concentrating their time, money and resources on such an important and worthwhile cause (not) instead of wasting their efforts on the obviously minor things such as Driving Standards, Road Conditions and Safety (wire rope barriers come to mind here) and the many cars that have No WOF and are Mobile Death Traps on our roads (and probably No Catalytic Converters either)
Go LTSA, you deserve a big fat one up you.

sAsLEX
21st January 2008, 19:37
Investment-inschmestvent...the Gov't cares little about the 'investment' people have made....can you imagine them ever seeing the purchase of a device designed to allow driving/riding at a speed over the legal limit as an 'investment'?

Re the convertors, I think RM summed it up quite nicely.

There are statistics that show drivers with detectors crash less......... and we know how much the govt loves statistics...... oh thats right only the ones that serve their needs!

Motu
21st January 2008, 19:37
Most of the tampering with emission controls was done on older carburettor cars,these had a shit load of vacuum operated devices that crapped out over time.You just had to disconnect it....and then whatever else it effected.If possible a complete NZ new carb and manifold was fitted.These cars are out of the system now and won't be made to comply with any standard.These days the only tampering is usually to blank off the EGR,mainly on diesels - they stick open or leak,sending exhaust gasses into the combustion chamber,making black smoke.I'm sure you all don't mind the EGR being blanked and stopping black smoke.

The emission standards are not for LTNZ to set,they have already been set....what LTNZ will do is lower the standard as these vehicles are past their service life and don't pass in Japan,they won't here either.

FLYMO
25th May 2008, 21:05
reno raynes.. the other movie thats good is harley davidson and the malbro man

TygerTung
25th May 2008, 21:22
I'm pretty sure this will come in with the new emission rules - ALL vehicles registered after that date WILL have to comply at date of entry.....and forever after.But almost impossible to police on the existing fleet,as others have pointed out NZ new versions seldom had Cats,yet the same model sourced from an other country would have a converter.I gutted a cat last week....who is to know? O2 sensor before the Cat,no way the computer can pick it up.....emission testing at WoF was dropped as being far too costly and unworkable....ain't gunna happen here.What will happen is a non standard exhaust rule,not OE and you fail.That one can be made to work because it is visual.....and that is all a WoF is,a visual check.

Non oe exhaust system and fail? I can't see that working because toyota probably won't have a oe exhaust for my '75 corolla and then ALL exhaust shops will go out of buiseness unless they can order oe exhausts and fit them?

James Deuce
25th May 2008, 21:30
Non oe exhaust system and fail? I can't see that working because toyota probably won't have a oe exhaust for my '75 corolla and then ALL exhaust shops will go out of buiseness unless they can order oe exhausts and fit them?

There will be some truth to that, though I imagine that if you can reasonably demonstrate that the replacement system is no louder than the original you'll be OK.

Mike748
25th May 2008, 21:42
Had to replace the muffler and rear pipe work on our 306, dropped into Pitstop and I asked if they could free it up a bit and remove the Cat. (It wasn't allowed to sound like a Boy Racer car though)
They wouldn't remove the Cat as they were unsure of how the new rules were going to work.

homer
25th May 2008, 21:52

shit do you mean i cant do that yet .........:doh:........:laugh:

James Deuce
25th May 2008, 22:15
Had to replace the muffler and rear pipe work on our 306, dropped into Pitstop and I asked if they could free it up a bit and remove the Cat. (It wasn't allowed to sound like a Boy Racer car though)
They wouldn't remove the Cat as they were unsure of how the new rules were going to work.

If it came with a Cat it has to have a Cat in any replacement system, along with any lambda sensors.

Mike748
25th May 2008, 22:21
If it came with a Cat it has to have a Cat in any replacement system, along with any lambda sensors.

Yeah, we left it in I wasn't that set on removing it, it was just one of those while your at it things.

It just surprised me that they were concerned enough about the upcoming rules to turn away the extra work.

McJim
25th May 2008, 22:24
All this about stock exhausts and aftermarket exhasuts and catalytic convertors yadda yadda yadda.

How does this affect people that have their stock exhausts, open them, remove all the shite inside then reconfigure the baffles, re-jet the carbs and put the whole thing back together again?

Are they gonna open every can, refer to the diagrams and make sure it's all stock?

mbazza
25th May 2008, 22:38
No WoF = no rego. You sir, will become an outlaw. Like that guy with long hair who rode a HD and had that American Indian cop as a friend on TV on friday nights years ago. Renegade was it?

Jees, I'd forgotten about -- Renegade --! Cheers.:gob:

James Deuce
25th May 2008, 23:36
All this about stovk exhausts and aftermarket exhasuts and catalytic convertors yadda yadda yadda.

How does this affect people that have their stock exhausts, open them, remove all the shite inside then reconfigure the baffles, re-jet the carbs and put the whole thing back together again?

Are they gonna open every can, refer to the diagrams and make sure it's all stock?

A badly performed noise test with a $20 dB meter will quickly tell the expertly trained sound engineer/mechanic/social worker/tax lawyer that the exhaust system has been modified.

scumdog
26th May 2008, 03:12
Jees, I'd forgotten about -- Renegade --! Cheers.:gob:

Use to amaze me how that dude toured all over the place and his only 'equipment' was a rolled-up Mexican blanket strapped to the handle-bar!!

(But use to dream of one day having a bike like that - without the blanket!!)

Swoop
26th May 2008, 08:36
So far they haven't.
This has gone very quiet. The public servant minion's are probably scuttling around in the background, still pondering how to draft up another law to keep the politicians busy.

Like anyone would actually do such a thing...:whistle:

McJim
26th May 2008, 21:27
Well thanks to this thread I have gone a solved the problem and fitted a cat.

I just hope they don't look too closely since it's not actually the same as the original one! :rofl:

Motu
26th May 2008, 21:37
I put the new regs into the VIRM last week.....the shit is going to hit the fan boys.I don't think it'll be safe for me to ride my pushbike to work anymore.

alanzs
26th May 2008, 21:51
I just read a pamphlet from the LTSA and it said motorcycles had to have a sound rating below 97db as of June this year. June's in a few days... :Oops:

Heres a link: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/motorcycles-11-v3a3.pdf

awayatc
26th May 2008, 21:58
I just read a pamphlet from the LTSA and it said motorcycles had to have a sound rating below 96db as of June this year. June's in a few days... :Oops:

if that is true the whole Harley fraternity is in a spot of bother
:msn-wink:

Motu
26th May 2008, 22:15
I just read a pamphlet from the LTSA and it said motorcycles had to have a sound rating below 97db as of June this year. June's in a few days... :Oops:

100db - but it says 97db in the VIRM as they have to be the same or less than the OE system.So careful with that one - if they fail you at 99db it's still legal.

chubby
27th May 2008, 08:58

Your right... and all at the whim of a WOF tester who can throw you out because he/she feels like it and then you have to pay upwards of $200 (est) to a LVVTA tester, or spend the money first and get stickered.

We shall see how it is greeted and used eh.

Pussy
27th May 2008, 12:26
I wonder how we'll get on with our aussie spec K6 GSX-R750s that have a noise label on the frame saying 102dB?

McJim
27th May 2008, 13:16
Can we clarify that the official decibel measurement is supposed to be at 1/3 revs? Is this true?

I thought that the measurment was taken at 3,000rpm where redline is 9,000rpm or at 5,000rpm for a 15,000rpm engine.

I don't want anyone revving the snot out of my wee bike at a Warrant of fitness test.

Swoop
27th May 2008, 14:04
...and then you have to pay upwards of $200 (est) to a LVVTA tester, or spend the money first and get stickered.
Or simply go to a different station for another opinion? (That opinion might cost you the cost of another WOF inspection though).

yod
27th May 2008, 14:07
Can we clarify that the official decibel measurement is supposed to be at 1/3 revs? Is this true?

I thought that the measurment was taken at 3,000rpm where redline is 9,000rpm or at 5,000rpm for a 15,000rpm engine.

I don't want anyone revving the snot out of my wee bike at a Warrant of fitness test.

ditto

keep your hands off my throttle, car-jockey

nallac
27th May 2008, 14:23
shit i measured my mates RX3 coupe rally/road car the other day
i was standing about 4 meters away it measured 97decibals at idle.
went up to105 as he drove it up on to the trailer.
probably only took it up to 3000revs max.

its handy when ya know the WOF inspector..

ManDownUnder
27th May 2008, 14:27
... there's a really nice guy that works at the VTNZ in Kumeu...

alanzs
27th May 2008, 17:48
Why, is it loud polishing those bikes? HAHAHAHA!!!!!! I think the regs are when they are turned on!!!!

insane1
27th May 2008, 18:15
oh bugger there goes puting a full yoshi system on the burger damm i was looking forward to it too.

AllanB
27th May 2008, 18:28
99-100db limit on motorcycles?

Are you serious - that's way too loud.

Fark me my GS1200ss with the full Yoshi was rated at 94 db and I considered that loud - often too loud. 100 is farkin loud.

Motu
29th May 2008, 18:46

2 stroke single................6,000rpm
2 stroke multi.................5,000
4 stroke single................3,000
4 stroke 2 valve twin.......2,500
4 stroke 3 valve+ twin.....4,000
4 stroke 3 cyl +..............4,500
Rotary..........................4,500
more than 5 cyl..............4,000
more than 5 cyl dohc vvt.4,800
6 cyl............................3,200
8 cyl............................3,000
more than 8 cyl..............4,000
Diesel...........................2,500

However any arrogant sods who think they know best will have the snot revved out of their bike just to see the colour drain from their face.....

AllanB
29th May 2008, 20:06
That's a bit naff. Why not set at a % of the max revs?

For example my Hornet has a pretty tame red-line of 9500 so 4500 rpm is just under 50%, A GSXZXRYZ thingy revving to what 13500? or higher possibly would be on only 30% of max thus resulting in a unfair comparison.

I feel a need to cry discrimination especially since my bike is black....:whistle:

rat biker 08
29th May 2008, 20:23
Yes i agree but how are thay going to test my bike its 30 years old and l have a four into one pipe at 4500 rpm its loud . Dose that mean i have to put the proper pipes back on if i can get them.:(

RDJ
29th May 2008, 20:36
Use to amaze me how that dude toured all over the place and his only 'equipment' was a rolled-up Mexican blanket strapped to the handle-bar!!

(But use to dream of one day having a bike like that - without the blanket!!)

Didn't the blonde girl drive his Long Way Round-type support vehicle? And yeah, the bike was definitely worth wanting.

peasea
29th May 2008, 21:46
I just saw the latest missive from LTSA.
It seems that in 6 months time all vehicles origonally fitted with catylitic converters in their vehicles will be reqired to have them fitted in order to pass a WOF.
Clearly aimed at the boy racer set with their drainpipe exhausts this could have a nasty effect on us bikers.

Don't fret, unless you want to trade your bike for a boy racer-mobile or have a passion for really pissing people off. (Same thing I suppose.) The average WOF tester (with all due respect) won't know the difference and will go by his/her ear.

As you were.

FROSTY
30th May 2008, 08:52
Depends what you call "average"

MIXONE
30th May 2008, 09:16
I had the cat removed from my car a little while back.The difference in sound is negligible however I get better economy and the turbo spools up much faster.

peasea
30th May 2008, 15:41
Depends what you call "average"

Yeah, they can be a bit picky and some days they seem to have mood swings. I had a drama a while back over mufflers and I'd been going to the same place with the same mufflers for four years. Twat bumped me, I did the old muffler switch, I then got the WOF and they lost a longtime customer. (In fact, several.)

McJim
30th May 2008, 18:33
2 stroke single................6,000rpm
2 stroke multi.................5,000
4 stroke single................3,000
4 stroke 2 valve twin.......2,500
4 stroke 3 valve+ twin.....4,000
4 stroke 3 cyl +..............4,500
Rotary..........................4,500
more than 5 cyl..............4,000
more than 5 cyl dohc vvt.4,800
6 cyl............................3,200
8 cyl............................3,000
more than 8 cyl..............4,000
Diesel...........................2,500

However any arrogant sods who think they know best will have the snot revved out of their bike just to see the colour drain from their face.....

I'll take that one please. My bike doesn't make much noise at that 2500rpm but she do sing purdy around 7,000....

El Dopa
30th May 2008, 22:30
So the answer (as it usually is) is to find a wof tester who is bike friendly.

alanzs
31st May 2008, 17:11
What's loud? I can't HEAR YOU? my bikes on...

El Dopa
31st May 2008, 17:31
Went and had a talk to the guy who normally does my WOF today - he's had a quick initial look at the regs and already has a headache.

He didn't really have much useful detailed info to add, but he did say that he thought a gsxr750 straight off the showroom floor would probably fail, so it's going to be interesting to see how this shakes down....

Ixion
2nd June 2008, 14:34
Revs that the test is done at is 50% of peak power revs if known; if not known the figues Mr Motu posted.

From here (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/stdExhaustNoiseEmissions.pdf)

Motorcycle engines 2.6(2)
The engine speed for the exhaust noise emission test of a motorcycle engine, must, for the duration of each test, be within a tolerance of +/- 5% of either:
(a) in the case of an engine that has a manufacturer’s engine speed maximum power (ESMP) that is known to the LVV certifier, 50% of that figure; or

(b) in the case of an engine that does not have a manufacturer’s ESMP that is known to the LVV certifier, or the manufacturer’s ESMP has become irrelevant because the engine is now outside of its original specification:
(i) 6000 RPM if the engine is a 2-stroke single-cylinder engine; or
(ii) 5000 RPM if the engine is a 2-stroke multi-cylinder engine; or
(iii) 3000 RPM if the engine is a 4-stroke single-cylinder engine; or
(iv) 2500 RPM if the engine is a 4-stroke twin-cylinder engine with 2 valves per cylinder; or
(v) 4000 RPM if the engine is a 4-stroke twin-cylinder engine with 3 or more valves per cylinder; or
(vi) 4500 RPM if the engine is a 4-stroke engine that has three or more cylinders; or
(c) in the case where a low volume vehicle certifier believes the engine speeds specified in 2.6(2)(b) are unreasonably high, taking into account the type and age of the engine, he may apply an engine speed for the purpose of the sound level test at which he believes is appropriate for the engine, and at which the engine

Worth bearing in mind if you have a low revving two smoker and someone wants to test it at 6000rpm.Some of mine would blow up at those revs.

Dunno what weird logic whoever came up with those figures was using. I mean, why on earth would a single be higher revving than a twin?

I'm trying to follow up on the issue of "standard zorst in good nick, just like it left the fcatory, but still more than 100db" with LTSA. As I read the law it applies only to MODIFIED or DEFECTIVE .

Motu
2nd June 2008, 15:04
I think so long as it looks standard,it'll be taken as that so long as it's not too loud.If the system is after market and quiet,all is good....but if it's loud then look out.Time to remove those labels.

This is assuming AVI's of Kiwi extraction....if you go to a testing station where the AVI's are of Indian origin then it's almost certain you will fail,no matter what.

Ixion
2nd June 2008, 16:30
Many OEM silencers have the makers name stamped on them (Suzuki, Yamaha etc) If so, pointing it out to a problematic tester could be useful. "See, it's the original Suzuki silencer. And you can see it's in good condition"

Motu
2nd June 2008, 16:52
That's why my original muffler with all the numbers and Yamaha name and unmolested is a treasured possession....although I am a rule unto myself.

Of course the rule is aimed at cars,and it's pretty easy to pick up unoriginal.I think I'll be looking at well constructed systems,with a couple of hot dogs and reasonable sized muffler as ok.Resonators and cats cut out with a huge straight through can will be out.Cooper S and other OE style mufflers are good to me,same as those flowmaster's and the like - they all make a good attempt at noise reduction and look the real deal.

Supertrapp and others of the same construction are a well engineered and scientifically constructed system....I would consider them as a good system above some generic straight through perforated pipe with pink bats packing and a stainless or carbon outer.I think the intent of the system will be a deciding factor - is this to make more noise or to enhance performance?

Ixion
3rd June 2008, 11:47
OK. BRONZ has confirmed, from t he horse's mouth (specifically, land Transport NZ)

If the exhaust system is OEM factory, in good condition, then the new rule does NOT apply.

So, in effect, if the original factory zorst is fitted, it can only be failed on poor condition. Even if it made more than 100dB when new.

So, the 06 gixxers and such are good to go

Any hassle tell the tester guy to call Landtransport NZ - 04 931 8700 . Tania Luckow is the lady you want. And she has promised to pass that message on to all AVIs.

I reckon OEM zorsts are going to become a negotiable currency. If you're buying a bike with aftermarket zorst, might be wise to demand the originals as well.

(one caveat she did mention . It must be the *FACTORY* original exhaust. OSme dealers swap out the factory zorst for an aftermarket one before the bike is first sold. So the fact that "it's been like that from new" doesn't necessarily mean it is OEM . This applies in particular to Harley Davidsons, I understand. Though I've seen Suzukis advertised new with Yoshis fitted as an inducement.)

Swoop
3rd June 2008, 12:16
OK. BRONZ has confirmed, from t he horse's mouth (specifically, land Transport NZ)
Will they put that in writing???

madandy
3rd June 2008, 12:27
My Duke came in from the 'States and has really quiet California approved cans on. I think they have 86Db stamped on them or some low figure close to that. At 2500rpm, pr even 3500rpm, up to half throttle she's as tame as a kitten.
Fitting a de-baffle kit like those found on trademe, inside the stock cans should be ok provided the sound levels are within the accpeptable limits right?

Ixion
3rd June 2008, 12:28
Well, they sort of have. The law specifically refers to "Modified" . problem is some AVIs haven't read it properly. If she's going to circularise the AVIs I imagine it would be in writing. Probably take a while , but, gubbermint orificaes do not move fast. So in the meantime, any hassles tell them to call Tania. They should know her already, apparently shes the "tell 'em what to do" person.

Bear in mind, the "original" means "as original". Not the original can with all the guts cut out of it. I reckon most AVIs would be wise to that.

sAsLEX
3rd June 2008, 20:56
(one caveat she did mention . It must be the *FACTORY* original exhaust. OSme dealers swap out the factory zorst for an aftermarket one before the bike is first sold. So the fact that "it's been like that from new" doesn't necessarily mean it is OEM . This applies in particular to Harley Davidsons, I understand. Though I've seen Suzukis advertised new with Yoshis fitted as an inducement.)

So my factory 1098R with its "Factory" special version pipes will be sweet.....:eek5:

McJim
3rd June 2008, 21:29
My Duke came in from the 'States and has really quiet California approved cans on. I think they have 86Db stamped on them or some low figure close to that. At 2500rpm, pr even 3500rpm, up to half throttle she's as tame as a kitten.
Fitting a de-baffle kit like those found on trademe, inside the stock cans should be ok provided the sound levels are within the accpeptable limits right?

You'll be sweet mate - 4 stroke 2 valve twin = sound test at 2,500rpm. That's barely ticking over she'll be right!

madandy
4th June 2008, 19:40

Can you Jim2 or anyone show where that is written please.

AllanB
4th June 2008, 20:07
If you are purchasing new aftermarket cans ensure you are buying ones that are E approved or fitted with a db killer. This is little more that a smaller diameter tube riveted (usually) in the outlet that stirs up the flow and shuts them down a lot.
These cans will be rated at something under well under 90 db.

The db killer can be removed :niceone: and re riveted in as required:rolleyes:

Have a look here (my bike as an example) as the db killer is shown in a cut away view.
While on the site there is a good sound section where you can spend the evening listening to bikes!

http://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/Bikes/search3.php?model=97

If you do not have a killer on you existing cans don't panic as a muffler shop will be able to easily make one cheaply.

HRT
8th June 2008, 11:00
Just for the record, all the warrant stuff is online and this is what the AVI has to work off as far as exhaust rules go with regards to motorbikes: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/motorcycles-11-v3a3.pdf

There are no rules on emissions, cats, oxy sensors or the like. Just noise and smoke basically.