PDA

View Full Version : The B-King vs the Hayabusa - a dog's view

Kendog
20th January 2008, 16:20
Yesterday Pussy and I took the B-King and the new Hayabusa out for a little spin. We went round the bays the long way, (50kph twisties) then a short trip up the motorway and back. Along the way swapping several times to get a feel for each bike.

If you want some nicely written, informative and often poetic write ups on these bikes, you will need to look at Hitcher's (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=63635&highlight=b-king), Cajuns (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=62162&highlight=b-king), Jim2's (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=62587&highlight=b-king) or Colapop's (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=62619&highlight=b-king) reviews of the B-King, or Cajun's review here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=b-king) and here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=63913&highlight=hayabusa) of the Hayabusa.

If you want my brief view, read on.

For me the Hayabusa was large, heavy and little intimidating. A silky gearbox with an outstanding feeling engine, but not a bike I would ever think of owning.

The B-King, while riding it, and since riding it I have been thinking, "I want to ride this bike" The physical size when looking at it put me off test riding this bike, but the moment I was moving on it I was buzzing. I was wanting more corners, more little straights to twist the wrist (less swapping to the Hayabusa). Evey time I rode up next to Jim2 at the lights he had a knowing smile. I said to him 'I love this bike" he laughed and said "I knew you would"

I can't justify buying one, after all I love the bike I have as well. But I can't stop thinking about the B-King. If you are in the market for a bike around it's price range, do not buy anything without riding one. If you are not in the market for a bike and have a chance to ride one, do it! You may find yourself suddenly thinking your extra kidney could go a long way towards owning one of these :msn-wink:

A huge thanks to Pete at Wellington Motorcycles. You really do make test riding bikes a pleasure. And the coffee offer is always appreciated :niceone:

Thanks also to Jim2 for sticking around and leading us round the bays. It's a pity you ran out of time, the K7 thou had your name all over it that afternoon.

Scouse
20th January 2008, 16:50
I have ridden a B King loved it but cant get past the fact that it is so pig fucking ugly

Trudes
20th January 2008, 16:57
hehehe, yeah, I'm with you on that, I also think it looks like a fat ugly bush pig!! :crazy:

You looked like you were having fun babe, a little dwarfed by it's mamoth size and those exhausts were about the same size as your head, however in saying that, I was slightly disappointed still when I sat on it and my feet were dangling, so no test ride fun for me:argh: (same with the busa, however, not quite as much), and did someone say heavy??

Ah well, as I told you, if you want to buy one, I'll give you a good shag for the K7.;)

DMNTD
20th January 2008, 17:07
Ah well, as I told you, if you want to buy one, I'll give you a good shag for the K7.;)

Heh!!! It worked for me...with Unit that is :dodge:

MotoGirl
20th January 2008, 17:51
You looked like you were having fun babe, a little dwarfed by it's mamoth size ... however in saying that, I was slightly disappointed still when I sat on it and my feet were dangling
For some strange reason, this story sounds strangely familiar... At least they'd know we would never ride their bike!

:rofl: Is that all it takes to score hubby's bike? I should've been been quicker and offered to take the 600 off Cajun's hands (for a shag, of course :shutup:) instead of saying he could keep it and buy a B-King :doh:

Trudes
20th January 2008, 17:56
hehe, yep, the B-King would be fairly safe from my filthy mitts in our garage!
As for the second matter, ummm, well, that may really be between you all, however, I do like to pass along tips to the other chicks! Never give out without getting something back:msn-wink:

Pussy
20th January 2008, 18:16
I was impressed with how nimble the busa was for a big bike... first time I've ridden ANY busa, came away with a good impression. And I've forgiven Suzuki for making the B-King ugly.... 100% fun to ride

Edit: A big thanks to Pete at WMCC for giving me the oppurtunity to ride both the bikes

SixPackBack
20th January 2008, 18:39
Picked a B-King up from Colemans on Saturday for a wee jaunt.

Felt big at standstill but shrunk noticeably on the move, and while it handles reasonably well its no Gixxer. It has power, oh my fucken god it makes a 1000cc bike feel peaky with little low/mid range. The ride was perhaps the standout aspect, superbly suspended, plush while remaining reasonably taught. Brakes also excellent. But hang on its massive with a pillion seat worse than a full fat sprotsbike? I believe the pillion seat will kill more than a few sales.

I could go on but to be honest I personally did not like the machine at all. It had TO MUCH POWER, yes I'm man enough to admit it the fooker was the first bike sampled that needs a seat-belt....strap yourself in folk's it'll rip your arms off. And not in a nice way.

Also. Getting to the end of the western motorway I filtered past 100 metres of cars to a light turning red, plenty of time to turn the beast off, set it to 'B' mode and pull away. Course' the battery was flat?? and the fooker wouldn't start [help]. Pushing a 230kg bike any distant is not fun and did nothing to endear me to an already lukewarm opinion.

Don't get me wrong it is a great bike and the larger framed are going to find it fits well. But for me, if a naked was really on the cards a Z750 or the like would prove far more enjoyable, faster point to point and well just more fun.

My other some what macabre prediction is that America with its open licencing laws will see more than a few squids die on the Beasty, tis' the least suitable bike for beginners. Period.