PDA

View Full Version : What kind of bike?

Kittyhawk
20th January 2008, 22:05
Im looking at purchasing a bike to go riding on. Im setting the budget to anything up to say 6k maybe stretch it a bit if I fall in love with a particular bike lol...

Really have no idea what I want as Im only used to sports, and sport tour bikes.

All I know is that I will be riding - offroad
- onroad
- in extreme temperatures hot and cold

Any suggestions? I thought about an off roader and motarding it, but I will be carring all my gear with me, so would require pack rack tank bag and probably panniers too.

Ixion
20th January 2008, 22:12
XT600. DR650. Maybe a BMW 650 (price might be an issue) .

Depends a bit what you mean by "off road"?

And how much seal, and how fast you need to go.

Extreme hot and cold suggests desert. BMW boxer is real good for that, but you'd strugle to get one at that price. And the V-Stroms etc would be right out.

If it's a long trip, availability of spares and dealer support may be important.

And what sort of petrol will you be able to get?

Rosie
21st January 2008, 08:20
How tall are you? A lot of adventure/dual purpose type bikes have a fairly high seat height, so depending on how tall you are, seat height may be an important factor in your decision making.

Have a look in the Adventure/Dual Purpose forum, there are quite a few threads there about the relative merits of different bikes, which may give you an idea of what is out there.

Kittyhawk
21st January 2008, 09:58
How tall are you? A lot of adventure/dual purpose type bikes have a fairly high seat height, so depending on how tall you are, seat height may be an important factor in your decision making.

Have a look in the Adventure/Dual Purpose forum, there are quite a few threads there about the relative merits of different bikes, which may give you an idea of what is out there.

Im used to riding off road bikes taller than me since 8 I've been doing moto x and back in those days, bikes were built solid, there were no integrated plastic components.

LOL I didnt even know there was a forum:pinch:! Will check it out...thanks!!:rolleyes:

Morcs
21st January 2008, 12:59
My mate has done 24hr rides around oz on a 250 trail bike. Its the shit apparently.

Get a Honda crf250 :)

Taz
21st January 2008, 16:16
My mate has done 24hr rides around oz on a 250 trail bike. Its the shit apparently.

Get a Honda crf250 :)

Cannot register the CRF250. Are you limited to 250cc or have you got your full license?

Morcs
21st January 2008, 17:02
Cannot register the CRF250. Are you limited to 250cc or have you got your full license?

Well the motard version - think its the xr250 or summat.

as for license, no comment. :shutup:

dino3310
21st January 2008, 17:10
DR650se:niceone:

Patch
21st January 2008, 17:17
You're to short for a motard - go buy a quad.

Taz
22nd January 2008, 15:42
Well the motard version - think its the xr250 or summat.

as for license, no comment. :shutup:

Oh you mean the red one??? They're all the same if they are red eh?

Morcs
22nd January 2008, 16:36
Oh you mean the red one??? They're all the same if they are red eh?

All new trail or motards by each company all look the same.

FilthyLuka
23rd January 2008, 08:55

yes you can :)

Buy it from the dealer, get a reciept prooving you own it. Slap on some lights and indicators, go to VTNZ, pay $300 for a compliance, ride away.

It really is that simple.