PDA

View Full Version : A small win!

Shazz
21st January 2008, 08:16
I have been in 'discussions' with the local district council re parking tickets given to me when I am parked outside my workplace.
I ride every day to work and as there are no motorbike parks or suitable areas to park my bike during the day I objected to the tickets repeatedly being given when I parked on the yellow lines.
I figured that taking a whole car park was "not fair" and having parked the bike at the supermarket car park only once, and had the bike pushed over by kids that to park outside my workplace on the no-park yellow lines where I could see it was safer.
I have heard re official letter last week that I am now given 'special dispensation' to park my bike outside my workplace on the yellow lines!
There is no motorbike parking in my local town, and now the district council are 'in time' going to change the system outside my workplace (which happens to be the local cafe/bar where many motorbikes visit) to motorbike parking.
So if you are visiting Morriesons Cafe Bar in Hawera you are able to park officially on the yellow lines both sides of the footpath courtyard area.
Would be great to see more cycles calling in (plug!) as we have awesome food, atmosphere and friendly welcoming staff.
So come park beside Betty when you are in town! :msn-wink:

Bikernereid
21st January 2008, 08:19
Brilliant food and the staff are great!! Well worth a visit if you are going through Hawera.

Was taken there by nadroj and luckily we didn't get a ticket but sat outside to keep an eye on the bike just in case. Parking news - Great news for bikers!!

90s
21st January 2008, 12:32
Great. Positive action rather than cynicism or moaning on here about the unfairness of everything. If we were all like you we would find it far easier to improve our conditions.

Max Preload
30th January 2008, 23:06
I haven't been to Hawera for over a decade when I was working on the big Kiwi plant expansion (powder 5) and after eating at Morriesons every weeknight for over 6 months straight, I aint ever going back there!

Have the 'roaches completely taken over 'The Furlong' yet?

cynna
31st January 2008, 01:52
well done. hope you got off all the fines as well

Okey Dokey
31st January 2008, 07:38
Well done you! It's so good to hear something positive happen, especially when local government is involved. You must have handled the whole situation really well, in order to get a result like that. I take my hat off to you.

Definitely will look out for the cafe when in your neck of the woods.

awayatc
31st January 2008, 07:51
You mean there are councils in NZ that actualy care about the welbeing of its ratepaying residents.....?And improve conditions even for individuals.....?This brings tears to my eyes....:crybaby:
I will photocopy your post, and mail it to my local council.....
Truly insprirational... Well done all round.....:niceone:
Go Taranaki, lead the way!:first:

Finn
31st January 2008, 08:05
Good work. Meanwhile in Auckland, our street is getting a new footpath. In traditional disorganized kiwi style, it takes forever and last night my side of the street couldn't even get into their driveways / garages so cars where being parked all over the show but none where blocking the road. Around 11pm, council decided to start towing them. Upon seeing this, the left side of my face started switching uncontrollably so I had to go make the salad dodging parking wardens life more miserable than it already is.

jrandom
31st January 2008, 08:11
salad dodging

Don't you mean 'salad tossing (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tossing+the+salad)'?

Finn
31st January 2008, 08:15
Don't you mean 'salad tossing (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tossing+the+salad)'?

Nope, definitely dodging. He was obese.

scracha
31st January 2008, 08:45
Good for you! I feel a letter to my local council might be in order.

If they're putting in dedicated motorcycle parking you might as well suggest they install a security rail. Not sure exactly what you call them but have seen them in England.

You sorta slot the front wheel into them so they stop -
1] bikes getting nicked,
2] mopeds parking against your bike
3] cars using the bike parking
4] cunts knocking your bike over

Okey Dokey
1st February 2008, 09:15
Scracha, I always reverse the bike in so the real wheel is against the curb?! I can't picture the rail you are referring to at all-maybe I'm just dumb. Could you explain it a bit more for me?

scracha
2nd February 2008, 04:34
Bit like the pushbike things you get at train stations in Amsterdam. Hmm..that probably doesn't help.

skidMark
2nd February 2008, 04:43
My mate was updating her car rego the other day, came out to a ticket under the wiper for out of date rego.

she just laughed and wrote them a letter.

oh and if they had said no to ur parking u cldve always just wheelied over thier face.

Okey Dokey
2nd February 2008, 09:14
Hey, thanks for trying to explain, scracha. I'm starting to get the idea. Sort of.

Do you park "nose" to the curb/security rail?

Speedracer
2nd February 2008, 21:56
I objected to the tickets repeatedly being given when I parked on the yellow lines.

Got the same deal here in Invercargill, half a car park at the end of a row which they've yellow lined. Parked there (plenty of room, didn't even need to park sideways) and got a $40 ticket. Heck it's not in anyones way, pedestrians or traffic and elsewhere in the city with the same footpath / intersection design there are no car spaces and thus no yellow lines for that section. If I could have seen a reason not to other than some paint on the road, I wouldn't have parked there.

I wrote in pointing this out, including photos, and I got a photocopied page from the road code posted back to me with the section 'DONT PARK ON YELLOW LINES' highlighted. The letter was a snore as well.

If there is a next time I'll suggest making it into a motorbike park!:headbang:

Congrats on your win!

ynot slow
5th February 2008, 17:24
Hehe,was thinking last time having coffee that you were lucky if you didn't get any ticket/s.Agree with you about parking in carpark,shit bad enough with trollies etc,went into video ezy (when open)and parked, came out to find a dickhead trying to park between my bike and a car,he didn't know the bike was mine and proceeded to open the door,hitting bike,walked up to the bike,he went red in face,said sorry about that,I said cool but be carefull or park 20mts away.

You could park accross the road lol,good to know we are able to park either side of barriers,many thanks for getting the privelidge.Same as outside other eateries,need a couple of parks for bikes,mind you can get 2-3 bikes within one carpark,if done properly.

ynot slow
5th February 2008, 17:30
Would be great to see more cycles calling in (plug!) as we have awesome food, atmosphere and friendly welcoming staff.
So come park beside Betty when you are in town! :msn-wink:

Second that people,food and atmosphere is good.

Never think of upsetting your bike by parking next to her,mine isn't sociable,nearly beat up another bike,parked on gravel and slid a bit, brakes were ok,left in gear so no worries,bloody no parking at Alton pub.

Shazz
15th February 2008, 08:04
Just to let ya all know that the council guys came the other day, painted out the yellow lines (after getting me to move Betty), and painted in 4 bike parks, awesome. No complaints to the fact that they are not angled, but straight up and down, but that's easy, just move back and forward a bit until I get her straight, lol.
Thanks South Taranaki District Council for reversal of the three tickets I received, and also for listening when I was jumping up and down. See small people can make a difference, he he he.

BiK3RChiK
15th February 2008, 11:22
Darn orsum! Rock on, girl! When I'm down that way I'll have to pop in and say hi.

ynot slow
16th February 2008, 20:31
Saw the bike parks on Thursday?cool idea of yours' and council,good to see they would listen re fines,seems some councils(NP)you have to pay then prove it wasn't your vehicle.